Breaking News - Carnival Legend is...

True but it looks like September (2014).

It's 1 am here in Australia but I've bookmarked your review and as I was on the cruise straight after up yours out if Barcelona, I look forward to reliving my trip

Wasn't it a fantastic cruise??? I loved all the ports except for one and am so sorry carnival is discontinuing their European cruises as I would have done it again

As it seems like you are going to travel on the legend from Tampa, how long will it take to get to Hawaii ... The dates seem pretty tight if its to be in Sydney for the commencement of its cruises in September

Can't understand why the delay, my friend checks 3 times a day she's so keen

Dianne

It's 1 am here in Australia but I've bookmarked your review and as I was on the cruise straight after up yours out if Barcelona, I look forward to reliving my trip

Wasn't it a fantastic cruise??? I loved all the ports except for one and am so sorry carnival is discontinuing their European cruises as I would have done it again

As it seems like you are going to travel on the legend from Tampa, how long will it take to get to Hawaii ... The dates seem pretty tight if its to be in Sydney for the commencement of its cruises in September

Can't understand why the delay, my friend checks 3 times a day she's so keen

Dianne

It's nearly 11AM here (7/5/13) in Tampa Bay.

Thanks for bookmarking my review; it took twice as long to write as compared to the actual cruise itself! In fact it was two months ago today that we set sail from Venice.

I'm not so sure that Carnival will not ever be returning to Europe, in fact once the new Carnival Splash is built she will be touring the Mediterranean.

As for the travel time from Tampa Bay to Hawaii the time is generally around 11 hours; 3 to Houston and then 8 to Honolulu.

Just curious as to which port you did not enjoy?

As for the delay in posting, it all comes down to logistics and time tables so we will all have to wait just a little bit longer.

It's nearly 11AM here (7/5/13) in Tampa Bay.

Thanks for bookmarking my review; it took twice as long to write as compared to the actual cruise itself! In fact it was two months ago today that we set sail from Venice.

I'm not so sure that Carnival will not ever be returning to Europe, in fact once the new Carnival Splash is built she will be touring the Mediterranean.

As for the travel time from Tampa Bay to Hawaii the time is generally around 11 hours; 3 to Houston and then 8 to Honolulu.

Just curious as to which port you did not enjoy?

As for the delay in posting, it all comes down to logistics and time tables so we will all have to wait just a little bit longer.

Sorry I meant sailing time as I'm trying to work out what possible date it will be sailing from Hawaii to Sydney

The port we didn't enjoy was Olibia in Sardinia... I don't think you went there .. We did a carnival tour to maddalena island which sounded great but was a waste if a day.. The ferry was a car/people ferry, and the drive around the area was not that great and we stopped for lunch and had 20 minutes to order, eat and get back on the ferry.. Not good

Dianne

Sorry I meant sailing time as I'm trying to work out what possible date it will be sailing from Hawaii to Sydney

The port we didn't enjoy was Olibia in Sardinia... I don't think you went there .. We did a carnival tour to maddalena island which sounded great but was a waste if a day.. The ferry was a car/people ferry, and the drive around the area was not that great and we stopped for lunch and had 20 minutes to order, eat and get back on the ferry.. Not good

Dianne

Doh!! I thought flying from here....:o

Anyway as I can tell, the repositioning will take place in three phases...

1. Panama Canal Transit from Tampa to Long Beach - 16 days.

2. Hawaii Transit no less than 10-12 days.

3. Sydney Transit - I have no idea but I would "guess" another 10-12 days.

Sorry about Sardinia and you're correct we did not stop there.

Has anyone thought they may do the route the Pacific Princess is doing in January 2014

Days

South America & South Pacific

Pacific Princess

From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Sydney, Australia

Ports: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida | Panama Canal, Panama | Guayaquil, Ecuador | Lima (Callao), Peru | Easter Island, Chile | Pitcairn Island (Scenic Cruising) | Tahiti (Papeete), French Polynesia | Moorea, Polynesia | Cross International Date Line | Auckland, New Zealand | Fiordland National Park, New Zealand | Sydney, Australia

*Fares are per person, double occupancy, cruise only. View pricing terms 2014

Jan: 20

Price shown for Jan. 20, 2014

Interior per person

$8,049.00*

$5,629.00*

Starting From:

Gov't Fees & Taxes additional: $529.03*

Fare Currency: CAD

Select a Date

Compare Now

Hello to all the familiar names.

The Panama Canal transit just depends on how many stops they decide to make. I did the transit on the Carnival Paradise in the fall of 2011, and it was a 14-day cruise.

The cruise from Honolulu to Sydney last fall was 17 days (16, actually, since we crossed the International Date Line).

Maybe they'll sail directly to Honolulu from Tampa. Or start the transpacific in Long Beach, with some Hawaiian port stops. Or maybe they'll add some stops in New Zealand this time. Or . . .

This waiting is killing me :(!

Karen

Has anyone thought they may do the route the Pacific Princess is doing in January 2014

Days

South America & South Pacific

Pacific Princess

From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Sydney, Australia

Ports: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida | Panama Canal, Panama | Guayaquil, Ecuador | Lima (Callao), Peru | Easter Island, Chile | Pitcairn Island (Scenic Cruising) | Tahiti (Papeete), French Polynesia | Moorea, Polynesia | Cross International Date Line | Auckland, New Zealand | Fiordland National Park, New Zealand | Sydney, Australia

*Fares are per person, double occupancy, cruise only. View pricing terms 2014

Jan: 20

Price shown for Jan. 20, 2014

Interior per person

$8,049.00*

$5,629.00*

Starting From:

Gov't Fees & Taxes additional: $529.03*

Fare Currency: CAD

Select a Date

Compare Now

Mary, I like your thinking. I was hoping for a few stops in South America also. If Carnival has similar ports, I think it would be done in 2 cruises though.

Mary, I like your thinking. I was hoping for a few stops in South America also. If Carnival has similar ports, I think it would be done in 2 cruises though.

That will kill us Aussies if they don't go via Hawaii as that's where the majority of us would join the ship

I have noticed some are adding a stop in New Zealand as opposed to Suva which would be great as Suva is not very exciting... Neither by the way is Papeete ... I've done this route twice, once Sydney to Hawaii via Tahiti and then the spirit last year Hawaii to Sydney...

As half the guests last year were from Australia and New Zealand, I'd be surprised if they gave up that part of the market

I'm surprised they are taking so long as the spirit has its schedule up till 2015

Hurry up carnival.

Dianne

That will kill us Aussies if they don't go via Hawaii as that's where the majority of us would join the ship

I have noticed some are adding a stop in New Zealand as opposed to Suva which would be great as Suva is not very exciting... Neither by the way is Papeete ... I've done this route twice, once Sydney to Hawaii via Tahiti and then the spirit last year Hawaii to Sydney...

As half the guests last year were from Australia and New Zealand, I'd be surprised if they gave up that part of the market

I'm surprised they are taking so long as the spirit has its schedule up till 2015

Hurry up carnival.

Dianne

Dianne, it was just wishing thinking on my part. As you said, Carnival knows that they need the guests from Australia and New Zealand for the cruise to Australia so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Somehow the cruise to Australia will be from Hawaii. What we are all speculating on is how Carnival is going to get from Tampa to Hawaii in 21 days. We know it will take 17 days to get to Australia from Hawaii. After all, there weren't that many ports of call last year on the Spirit. It was mostly sea days but we needed those days to cover the distance.

It would be nice if they change it up a little from the Spirit's itinerary last year. Quite a few of us want to go again so it would be nice to have a variety of ports to go to.

Maybe this is why it is taking Carnival so long to release the news as they need to secure all the ports before announcing the itineraries.

Edited by mississauga
Misspelling of name

The dry dock has been officially announced for February 2, - 16, 2014 but nothing is being said about what is being done. The last cruise listed from Tampa as of now is August 10 - 17, 2014 so I'm guessing that the Legend will leave on the Panama Canal portion of her transit on August 17, 2014. Maybe we'll take that part. We did the reverse Panama Canal trip in 2013 on the Carnival Spirit and that was a good trip.

Dianne, it was just wishing thinking on my part. As you said, Carnival knows that they need the guests from Australia and New Zealand for the cruise to Australia so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Somehow the cruise to Australia will be from Hawaii. What we are all speculating on is how Carnival is going to get from Tampa to Hawaii in 21 days. We know it will take 17 days to get to Australia from Hawaii. After all, there weren't that many ports of call last year on the Spirit. It was mostly sea days but we needed those days to cover the distance.

It would be nice if they change it up a little from the Spirit's itinerary last year. Quite a few of us want to go again so it would be nice to have a variety of ports to go to.

Maybe this is why it is taking Carnival so long to release the news as they need to secure all the ports before announcing the itineraries.

Hi Mary... When I did this cruise on the sun princess we had 6 ports of call in 18 days.. Vanuatu, Cook Islands and Tahiti so obviously not as many sea days as the spirit... But I agree a couple more stops thn what we had on the spirit would be good especially if they cross off Suva

I'd love to have the time to travel from Tampa via the Panama Canal.. That would be awesome but I'm surprised that so many Americans who did the trip last time would like to repeat considering the high cost of air fares back home and as you know Australia is not a cheap destination

Ah well we just have to wait

Dianne

Hi Mary... When I did this cruise on the sun princess we had 6 ports of call in 18 days.. Vanuatu, Cook Islands and Tahiti so obviously not as many sea days as the spirit... But I agree a couple more stops thn what we had on the spirit would be good especially if they cross off Suva

I'd love to have the time to travel from Tampa via the Panama Canal.. That would be awesome but I'm surprised that so many Americans who did the trip last time would like to repeat considering the high cost of air fares back home and as you know Australia is not a cheap destination

Ah well we just have to wait

Dianne

We all loved Tahiti and Australia. Some of us did not realize how much we would like Australia so did not allow for enough time there last year. Of course we made and maintained a lot of terrific cruising friends too. It'll be like a re-union cruise for some of us...lol.

The dry dock has been officially announced for February 2, - 16, 2014 but nothing is being said about what is being done. The last cruise listed from Tampa as of now is August 10 - 17, 2014 so I'm guessing that the Legend will leave on the Panama Canal portion of her transit on August 17, 2014. Maybe we'll take that part. We did the reverse Panama Canal trip in 2013 on the Carnival Spirit and that was a good trip.

That or perhaps they could do another dry dock and add the 2.0 if the one in February does not and then sail in September?

I understand that this will not happen until September of next year with a date mentioned of Sept. 24th for the first cruise out of Sydney. I hope I am right as we could go then - again.

That or perhaps they could do another dry dock and add the 2.0 if the one in February does not and then sail in September?

It seems they are due in Sydney on Sept 24th 2014. Last cruise ends in Tampa Aug 17th. So 38 days to get from Tampa to Sydney.

It seems they are due in Sydney on Sept 24th 2014. Last cruise ends in Tampa Aug 17th. So 38 days to get from Tampa to Sydney.

OK, then my original time table kind of makes sense....

36-40 Days

36-40 Days

I would think the Hawaii to Sydney transit would be more like 16-18 days wouldn't it. Maybe someone who did the Spirit can let us know how long that cruise was.

When you are looking for airfair back to the states you may find better prices if you break the flight down. There may be a deal to NZ from Sidney and a great fare from NZ to Hawaii or the west coast of USA. Then find a fare to your home state. Or even flying into Vancouver, BC then to your home state. Search the options. It is a long flight so break it into a few shorter ones. It may save money.

Donna

36-40 Days

It can not go from Long Beach to Hawaii per the Passenger Service Vessel Act, Can npt sail from one US port to another without going to a "distant" foreign port. Can not make to Australia in 10/12 days unless it's non-stop..Prob still 20 days from Tampa to Hawaii looks good then the same the Spirit sailed- 17 days with stops in Tahiti..That leaves the 2 days they need in Sydney to do the changes..Right now its all guessing but John Heald said the other day "They will post it before the end of July"....Dennis

It can not go from Long Beach to Hawaii per the Passenger Service Vessel Act, Can npt sail from one US port to another without going to a "distant" foreign port. Can not make to Australia in 10/12 days unless it's non-stop..Prob still 20 days from Tampa to Hawaii looks good then the same the Spirit sailed- 17 days with stops in Tahiti..That leaves the 2 days they need in Sydney to do the changes..Right now its all guessing but John Heald said the other day "They will post it before the end of July"....Dennis

This would be a great solution all round. Florida to Hawaii via Panama, then Hawaii to Sydney. Eagerly looking forward to how it shakes out so we can book.

Actually Imagination is doing a Panama canal transit this coming January from Miami to Long Beach so it can be done.

Miami, FL

Fun Day at Sea

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Fun Day at Sea

Cartagena, Colombia

Panama Canal Transit

Fun Day at Sea

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Fun Day at Sea

Fun Day at Sea

Fun Day at Sea

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Fun Day at Sea

Fun Day at Sea

Los Angeles (Long Beach), CA

Actually Imagination is doing a Panama canal transit this coming January from Miami to Long Beach so it can be done.

Miami, FL

Fun Day at Sea

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Fun Day at Sea

Cartagena, Colombia

Panama Canal Transit

Fun Day at Sea

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Fun Day at Sea

Fun Day at Sea

Fun Day at Sea

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Fun Day at Sea

Fun Day at Sea

Los Angeles (Long Beach), CA

Dennis was referring to the Long Beach to Hawaii leg.