Sunny AZ Girl

The Arizona Cruisers Invade the Allure of the Seas, April 28, 2013 ~ A Pictorial Revi

“I’ll NEVER cruise on such a big ship!” I do believe those were my words when the news of the Oasis Class ships was announced several years ago. So now, here I am not only eating my words, but enjoying every bite.

Before I begin let me explain who I am and how I was brought to this tasty state of affairs. I am a 60 year old wife and mother who also works full time as a Respiratory Therapist. I live in the SE suburbs of Phoenix with my hubby Steve who is 63 years old. He is “semi-retired” and also working to develop his own sales rep business after many years in his industry. We are both active members of what I believe is the most wonderful group of people ever to come out of Cruise Critic – the Arizona Cruisers.

So, just who are the Arizona Cruisers you may ask? We started as a regular thread right here on Cruise Critic with someone asking what other people from Arizona do to prepare for a cruise. Fast forward several years (I really can’t remember how long we have all been together) and we now have a forum set up on the “Friends of Cruise Critic” section of the boards. Here many of us meet almost every day to discuss not only our past and future cruises but mostly our every day lives. We laugh together, plan together, party together, cry together and pray together. We exchange recipes, have parties several times a year and create real and lasting friendships. There are many who have joined our group. Newcomers are always welcome! Some become very involved and others just pop in now and then to say “hi”. Everyone is welcome, and we rejoice when someone new gets really involved.

A little over a year ago several of us started talking about cruising together once again. I had been on cruises with Arizona Cruiser friends in the past – once on the Radiance and once on the Mariner. We have learned over the years that the best memories are those made with friends and family. So, we always try to convince those we care about to join us when we want to cruise. Five couples from the Arizona Cruisers including us found a lovely Princess cruise that we thought would be perfect. Keep in mind, that we are ALL Cruise Critic regulars. We are ALL planners, ALL experienced cruisers and we ALL have definite ideas of what we want in a cruise, so that was no easy task!

We were beginning to plan and prepare in the eager manner that every good CC addict plans and prepares when they book a new cruise when Princess pulled out the rug from under us and cancelled the cruise! It was still a little over a year before our cruise was to begin, but it was still enormously disappointing. Princess was moving the ship to Europe early so no later date was possible. I have to insert here that this wonderful group of people were working their cruise around my available dates. Because of work restrictions I can only take a vacation of a week or more from the last week of April through the first week of November. So with that in mind we were on the hunt for another cruise.

It took a few days, but we were diligent and found the one ship and the itinerary on which we could all agree. The Allure of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean ~ April 38, 2013. So let the party begin!

Here are the five of us girls at our first "Planning Party" back in October. Pictured from left to right are me (Sunny AZ Girl), Lisa (AZ Karaoke Girl), Norine (Quilting Queen), Laura (Arizona Laura) and Sue (Az's Cruising Nana)

DSC07476-L.jpg

And here are our DH's who we let come along for the ride!:D

(Norine's Gene, my Steve, Laura's Gene, Lisa's Steve and Sue's Audie)

DSC07478-L.jpg

April 38th? Is that may 8th? Hehe.

Oops!:o It is April 28th. Fingers are apparently typing faster than my brain is working. Time for bed apparently. At least I got the date right in my title.:)

Looking forward to your review. It will help get me through the next week till we board. :)

Bill

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2

The next few months went by quickly. It soon became apparent that this cruise was going to be more about the ship than the ports, which is opposite of my regular cruising style. I had been to all of the ports before and was looking forward to visiting them again, but nothing in the itinerary really excited me. But the more I read reviews on the ship the more I anticipated the journey. In the meantime we added three more people to our numbers as Laura’s friends Jerry & Sheila joined us and Norine’s friend Charlotte also joined the group. So now we were 13 strong!

DSC07600-S.jpgDSC07597-S.jpg

Soon after the holidays we were able to start reserving the onboard Specialty Restaurants. Sue, Laura and I quickly reserved the Allure Choice package which at the time included Chops, Samba Grill and Giovanni’s. A few days later the package changed to include Izumi’s and the price jumped quite a bit. We were able to get the package for $55 pp and it went up to $80 pp. Since none of us were really interested in Izumi those of us who had already booked felt as if we got a bargain. Lisa and Norine decided to just pick and choose the places where they would join us.

I want to emphasize now that one of the really nice things about cruising with a group is the ability of being together without all having to do the same things all the time. So, whether we are talking about dining, shows, excursions, etc it does not matter. We knew we would see each other quite a bit during the week, so we did not stress about always planning the same things for the same times. Hey, we like each other, but we don’t need to be joined at the hip! As it worked out we have similar interests so we spend a lot of time together, but not every excursion, every meal or every show.

Sixty days before sailing our entertainment reservations became available. We knew from previous reviews that this would be an important part of the pre-planning process. Even for those who like to keep things unplanned I would suggest this be done. We had pre-planned at our October party what shows would fit in best with our schedule and when based on previous reviews and recommendations. So, when our actual schedule became available out came the spreadsheets and the booking process began. We knew we did not have to show up for every show as 10 minutes prior to show time the empty seats would be made available to the (usually long) stand-by line. Pre-booking avoids those lines and I am all about avoiding lines as you will see in other places during this review.

When our cruise month of April came around we had one more highly anticipated event prior leaving for Florida. We had a very active Roll Call that made this cruise even more special. One of the early and regular posters was Rick, who was traveling from Australia with his Mum & Auntie. They had a huge, wonderful adventure planned which included a trip across the USA with the Allure as a highlight. They arrived in Phoenix on April 6 and we were all able to meet them at a local restaurant. What a fun evening it was! More last minute planning was involved of course and we all got along so well that we knew it was just a glimpse of a wonderful week ahead.

Here is a picture of Rick and Sue working out details of our Meet & Mingle gift exchange. Sue is modeling the new ARIZONA CRUISER shirts she had designed especially for this cruise:

DSC07613-L.jpg

And here are all of us at the party showing off the brand new “Arizona Cruiser” banner made by our very own talented Norine “Quilting Queen”. That banner will show up more times during this review. Watch for it!

DSC07610-L.jpg

Coming Up: Our Journey Begins. Pre-Cruise Fort Lauderdale

Looking forward to your review. It will help get me through the next week till we board. :)

Bill

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2

You are going to love it! I wish I were going with you.:)

I'm looking forward to reading your review too Ginny and I was along for the ride. :D

You were along for more than the ride, LOL! You will be a "star" in my next post.;)

I am an Arizona Cruiser, but didn't go on this group cruise, hopefully next time!!

Ginny, can't wait to see the rest....HURRY!!! :D ;)

Yes, we missed you. There was a great big hole where you should have been. But never fear, there will be a next time.

You were along for more than the ride, LOL! You will be a "star" in my next post.;)

Yes, we missed you. There was a great big hole where you should have been. But never fear, there will be a next time.

Dang it...we need a big LIKE button for posts like this!

Of course before you guys invaded Allure you invaded my roll call! :-D

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Dang it...we need a big LIKE button for posts like this!

:D

Of course before you guys invaded Allure you invaded my roll call! :-D

And look where it got you. Now you're stuck with me on yet another cruise, LOL!

The big day had finally arrived! We were flying to FLL from PHX on SWA, the 11:15 non-stop flight on Friday, two days before the cruise. Along with us on this flight were Sue & Audie and Lisa & Steve. Laura, Gene, Jerry & Sheila had flown out earlier on another flight. Norine, Gene & Georgia had left the day after our dinner with Rick on a big adventure of their own with a pre-cruise cruise out of NOLA on NCL to the Western Caribbean followed by a time share in Florida. We would all be meeting at our pre-cruise hotel later that day & the following day.

DSC07619-L.jpg

Our flight was on time and uneventful, despite warning that the Sequester would have us delayed beyond belief. Upon arriving in FLL we picked up our bags and we headed to the rental car area with Sue & Audie. Steve and Lisa had decided to either go by cab or walk around FLL. That will be a factor later on. We had arranged a full size car, but the rental car guy took one look at our luggage and rolled his eyes. He finally convinced us to upgrade to a full size SUV. It turned out he was right. It just fit our entire luggage! I am really trying to get the luggage thing down, but on a cruise we take just the right amount of clothing and then everything we could possibly need at sea, including a whole pharmacy, duct tape, you name it. Walgreens is not just down the street! Plus, we have all of our snorkel gear and...well, you get the idea. We headed to our hotel, the Hyatt Pier 66 where all of us, plus some more from our Roll Call were booked.

We arrived at the hotel and met up with Lisa & Steve once again. We got our room assignments. Lisa & I had booked Marina rooms while Sue and Laura had booked Tower rooms. Norine & crew were arriving at the hotel the next day and they had also booked Marina rooms. All of us in Marina rooms had requested upgrades to Tower rooms for $20 per night, a savings of $20 per night over the pre-reserved Tower rooms. Lisa & I were able to get the upgrades, but by the time Norine arrived the following day there were no more upgrades available. We had a nice port view if we stood on the balcony but Lisa scored the best with a view of the entire port and the sailaway channel. We were able to use her balcony the next day for the Oasis Sailaway.

Our view from our balcony Saturday morning featuring what will later become known as the famous “Lisa’s Bridge”:

DSC07636-L.jpg

We could see the ships in port when we stood at our balcony rail. These are the Caribbean Princess and the Oasis of the Seas in the distance the following morning.

DSC07633-L.jpg

The hotel was nice, but definitely dated. The rooms had been updated except for the popcorn ceilings but the hallways upstairs were in dire need of a remodel. Otherwise it was spacious & clean, had wonderful bedding and a lovely pool area.

We met Laura and her gang coming back from dinner at Pelican Landing, which is a restaurant on the resort grounds overlooking the million dollar yachts in the Marina. They had enjoyed the dinner, but it was a bit of a walk. While shuttle service is provided free from the hotel to the restaurant (in a golf cart) it was not available for their walk back for some reason. The walk was a bit hard on Laura due to medical problems and so she was tired and they said good night and were heading up to their room for the night. The six of us settled into our rooms and then met for our turn to go to Pelican Landing for dinner. Fortunately, the shuttle was working fine for us both directions.

Upon arriving at Pelican Landing we found that we had just beaten the big dinner rush. Lisa & Steve had gotten to the hotel earlier than us so they went ahead to secure us a spot. The rest of us arrived just as they had been seated. The atmosphere was lovely overlooking the beautiful yachts as we played the “When I Win the Lottery” game. We wondered if we would be able to use the hot tub we saw on the yacht closest to us if we knocked on the door and asked! The food was very good, but don’t go if you are in a hurry. It was 45 minutes to an hour wait from the time we ordered until the meal arrived. But for me it was a perfect and relaxing way to end a busy travel day with beautiful scenery, a warm ocean breeze & good friends.

DSC07623-L.jpg

DSC07631-L.jpg

After dinner we headed back to our room as we had a full day of activities planned beginning early the next morning.

I'm looking forward to hearing more on "my bridge" from your perspective. ;) If okay with you, I can interject my personal experiences from my episode.

The Hyatt Pier 66 had taken us to Pelican Landing by golf cart and reassured us that they would return to pick us up. After dinner the restaurant called the Hyatt twice including the manager to have us picked up. No one came to get us. After waiting more than 45 minutes I called the hotel then myself and spoke to someone representing management who left me on hold and did not return. After 10-15 minutes I hung up and we headed back to the hotel. It was very difficult for me but I had no choice. Having so much pain I did call it a night.

Sheila and Jerry, Gene and I flew in earlier on US Airways. Ginny and the gang on Southwest arrived several hours later. We were all suppose to eat together but the four of us were so hungry we headed off to dinner not knowing when the rest would get to the hotel after their flight. The four of us got seated right away. Service like Ginny said was very slow but the food was good. Worked out better we ate separate for they never would have been able to seat all of us together.

The yachts around the restaurant were so awesome. We were not playing the “lottery game” but we sure were daydreaming about that lifestyle.

Ginny you are doing a great job.

Laura

I'm looking forward to hearing more on "my bridge" from your perspective. ;) If okay with you, I can interject my personal experiences from my episode.

That would be lovely. It's your story after all.;)

Ginny, I'm loving your review! Can't wait to get to the ship.

It's coming! But we still have a full and busy day in Fort Lauderdale first.

Laura - that was too bad you had to deal with that golf cart issue. I don't know what the hold up was, but we didn't have to deal with it.

That would be lovely. It's your story after all.;)

It's coming! But we still have a full and busy day in Fort Lauderdale first.

Laura - that was too bad you had to deal with that golf cart issue. I don't know what the hold up was, but we didn't have to deal with it.

Want more...:cool:

We awoke the next morning and went straight out to the balcony to see if the Oasis was in town. We were happy to see her there as we were looking forward to seeing her sail away later in the day, which meant that the next day it would be our turn!

I was able to get a good zoom shot of her from our balcony:

DSC07635-L.jpg

We quickly got dressed. We were meeting the others at Le Bonne Crepe on Las Olas Avenue in Fort Lauderdale at 9 AM. While they had a varied breakfast menu I was sure to stay true to the name sake and got some delicious crepes for my breakfast.

[DSC07640-L.jpg

Rick and his Mum and Auntie joined us at the restaurant later. It was a cute little place and a good place to begin our day. From there it was just a short distance to our next destination, an easy walk for many.

DSC07642-L.jpg

Everyone gets treated special at Le Bonne Crepe!

DSC07646-L.jpg

We had pre-reserved a cruise on the Carrie B, a paddleboat that would carry us past the yachts and homes of the rich and famous in Fort Lauderdale causing more lottery-winning dream moments.

DSC07647-L.jpg

DSC07663-L.jpg

I'm here to learn more...and Bill and I have sailed with a few of you...HI ! :)

Nice to see pictures of all of you. Miss the Cruises out of LA.

We are booked on the Westbound TA Oasis in October 2014 so want to hear everything.

Mike

The cruise was comfortable and fun. We enjoyed not only the luxury homes & yachts but we came very near the Caribbean Princess & the Oasis as they prepared for their next voyages.

DSC07677-L.jpg

DSC07678-L.jpg

The water side view of Pelican Landing and our dream yacht.

DSC07681-L.jpg

DSC07689-L.jpg

Only two people live in this house!

DSC07702-L.jpg

Since it doesn't appear that I won the Lottery this week I guess I won't be moving into this house anytime soon.

DSC07716-L.jpg

Afterwards most of us went back to the Hyatt where we planned to spend the afternoon relaxing at the lovely pools. On the way to the Hyatt we stopped with Sue and Audie at a local Walgreens to pick up allergy meds for me and water cases to take on the ship. A word of caution here – I have almost always been diligent in the past about calling my credit card companies before I traveled, but this time I did not. Sure enough, when at Walgreens my Discover card was declined. I immediately got a text asking me to call their Consumer Fraud Protection unit. I had to assure them that it was me at the cash register. They asked for our entire itinerary so they could watch for any fraud activity on my account before releasing my card for use. While it was kind of a pain at the moment I did appreciate the diligence.

Our next stop was at a Total Wine store so that Sue and Audie, our very own wine connoisseurs, could pick up their allotment to carry on the cruise. We put extra luggage tags on the cases of water and the wine went into carry on bags. No problems with either. The water was waiting at our door when we got to the cabin.

Once back at the Hyatt we headed to the pool area to relax the afternoon away. The pools were delightful, albeit cold. There was an interesting arch spanning the pool with a waterfall cascading through it, Steve and Lisa had decide to have lunch at the Cheesecake Factory near the Carrie B, but shortly joined us at the pool.

IMG_0909-L.jpg

IMG_0904-L.jpg

IMG_0908-L.jpg

IMG_0911-L.jpg

It was here that Norine, Gene and Charlotte met up with us after arriving at the hotel. We had not seen them since they had left for their first cruise three weeks prior so we had some nice catch up time.

IMG_0919-L.jpg

Later Bill (BillOh) & Gina from our Roll Call found us at the pool. Bill was our “Grand Leader” of the Roll Call and had recognized us from all the pre-cruise pictures we had posted. They soon left to meet Rick by the rocks to see the Oasis sail past. We had a more leisurely plan to watch the sail away, so we parted ways until later in the evening when we had made arrangements to meet for dinner.

After leaving the pool we headed to Lisa & Steve’s room for their magnificent view of the Sailaway. Their room was at an angle and was quite larger than ours with a huge balcony.

DSC07729-L.jpg

DSC07744-L.jpg

First we watched the Caribbean Princess sail away

DSC07734-L.jpg

DSC07740-L.jpg

Then the Oasis left:

DSC07745-L.jpg

DSC07750-L.jpg

After Sail Away we went back to our room to prep for dinner when I got a call from Laura wondering why the Caribbean Princess was back in port. I looked out and sure enough, there she was. We quickly logged onto Cruise Critic where you can depend on getting all the news as it happens. And we were not let down. Apparently there was a medical emergency that prompted the return. Hopefully the passenger was ok and the ship was able to make up for lost time. I understood they were doing a TA so I guess it was better they got the passenger back earlier rather than later. She wasn't in port long before she left for the second time and the pier was empty, waiting for the Allure to glide in during the wee hours of the following morning.

By now many of you are probably wondering why I have renamed the 17th Street Bridge “Lisa’s Bridge”. Well, I’m going to tell you – but not just yet! You will have to read on to hear the whole story (sneaky of me, isn’t it?) This is the 17th Street Bridge opened up for the tall sail boats to pass underneath. Lisa and I joked about her walking across that bridge when it opened and her hanging on until it closed. Little did we know.....................

DSC07726-L.jpg

That evening we had a Pre-Cruise dinner planned at Bimini Boatyard. It was close to the Hyatt, perhaps a little over a mile walk over the 17th Street Bridge. We had reserved dockside tables for about 23 people as more from the Roll Call were going to join us. We were getting excited. The cruise would begin in the morning!

We drove to the Boatyard with Sue and Audie. Others took cabs or walked. It was a beautiful evening. We had a great turnout. Bill & Gina who we had met earlier in the day were there. We also met Jeff & Robin from Arizona who were not a part of our group – they are now! Another Lisa, who was traveling solo on the Allure also joined us. It was a great group and a wonderful evening.

DSC07756-L.jpg

DSC07760-L.jpg

DSC07762-L.jpg

After dinner Lisa & Steve decided to walk back to the hotel with Bill & Gina. They had obviously hit it off during dinner and were enjoying each other’s company. Our plans were to drive the rental car back to the hotel with Sue and Audie, filling up with gas along the way. Then the guys were going to drop Sue and I off at the hotel and return the rental car to the airport, taking a taxi back. When driving across the bridge we saw an ambulance stopped on the opposite side of the rode and people congregated near the walking area. We said, “Oh, oh. That doesn't look good. Part of our group is walking.” But we were on the wrong side of the road and couldn't stop. We filled up across from the Hyatt and were still on plan when I got a text from Bill saying, “Lisa’s been hit. Going to hospital”.

My heart stopped and I yelled out to the others. We jumped back in the car and bee lined to the spot where we saw the ambulance. We got there just as they were trying to figure out how to lift a gurney over the big concrete barrier dividing the pedestrian walkway from the well-marked bike lane and the motor traffic. She looked dead to me at first, then she talked. I almost cried in relief. There was blood all over the sidewalk and her husband Steve was shaking. It seems a South African tourist (young kid in his 20’s I would guess) was riding his bike over the rise of the bridge in the pedestrian walkway when he slammed into Lisa at a very high rate of speed. No one saw it coming. He lifted her straight into the air and she landed straight on her back with her head hitting the concrete hard.

We followed the ambulance to the Trauma Center while Bill & Gina stayed with the remorseful young man who hit her until the police arrived. It was quite an evening. As I said early in my review I am a Respiratory Therapist with 40 years of Critical Care experience. Sue is also a Respiratory Therapist with almost as much experience as I and we were both appalled at the apparent lack of concern shown towards her wounds. Sue had to insist on her getting a CT scan & I had to go look for a blanket for her myself. Lisa was dizzy and a bit disorientated at first, but after an hour or so she started to be more of herself despite a knot the size of a baseball on her head that was bleeding unchecked. She even felt well enough to ask her hubby to take a picture of the two of us in the ER. I know the look on my face is a little strange here. In actuality I was trying to quietly scan the place for where the emergency resuscitation supplies were kept as I was sure she was on the verge of stroking out! Why else would any woman want her picture taken in the ER after lying bleeding on the sidewalk the night before a cruise? She did give me permission to post this picture, which makes me worried that she is not yet "herself":eek:

Lisa%20in%20ER-L.jpg

The people in the ER finally put in one staple & declared her ok to leave around midnight because the CT scan did not show a concussion. Ultimately, she had to go to the ship doctor after boarding to have her wound sealed to stop the bleeding. Upon retrospect, that may have been a mistake, too. Her saga continues today, but I will let Lisa interject here & tell the story from her perspective as I don’t want to mess it up. I know she went on to enjoy the rest of the cruise. She is one tough and classy lady, let me tell you!

As it turned out we did not have a chance to return the car that night. But since we had an SUV instead of a full size car we were able to get all six of us in the SUV easily and we were able to get Lisa back to the hotel. I believe the Lord directed this whole thing so we would be able to be where we needed to be with the right equipment at the right time.

We got to bed well after midnight, but we were relived that in the morning we would finally be boarding the Allure of the Seas together!

I'm here to learn more...and Bill and I have sailed with a few of you...HI ! :)

Nice to see pictures of all of you. Miss the Cruises out of LA.

We are booked on the Westbound TA Oasis in October 2014 so want to hear everything.

Mike

Hi Mike! :D

I'm glad you found this review. I am also insanely jealous. I would love to be on that TA. I have got the Allure's TA in my sights in 2016, which is when we have heard she should be going. I hope to see a review on that crossing from you!

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

WOW...Not the way a vacation is to start...I hope the rest of the trip was less eventful if you know what I mean. :)

Mike

Subscribing! We have just booked Allure for October having been on Oasis last year.

My goodness what an eventful start you had! I hope Lisa is recovering well, she is so lucky you were all on hand to assist. God bless.

After dinner at the Bimini Boatyard and getting back to the Hyatt I was looking out our balcony window and could see the flashing lights on the bridge. I did not know initially it was Lisa until Gene and Jerry came back from the gas station across from the Hyatt and had been told by Steve and Audie. We could not relax till we knew Lisa’s CT scan was ok but little did we know she would have these ongoing issues. Prayers were definitely said that evening.

Laura

WOW...Not the way a vacation is to start...I hope the rest of the trip was less eventful if you know what I mean. :)

Mike

HI Mike..hope all is going well.

We miss the sailings out of LA also.

Laura

Hi Ginny, Laura and Mike,

This is like old home week here.

The review is excellent and love the pics.

The Oasis TA sounds wonderful. We're doing the Brilliance west TA in Aug 2014

:):):)

Three weeks later this still rattles me to read it and all I did was watch. I'm surprised Lisa hasn't gotten a bill from the city for the sidewalk damage.