USCG airlifts Splendor passenger (video)

Timmys_mom

Im sorry I missed this thread. I was at a birthday party for my sister and mom when this was posted.

BG I am so glad you are ok.

The star of a video no less. A star is born.

I don't know how I missed this thread either!. Glad everything worked out and your home safe Duck. I too greatly appreciate all the medical people and our military, without them we would be dead. I wasn't airlifted, but I had to take an ambulance to a hospital 40 miles away because there was no surgeon at our local hospital who could help me. The paramedics saved my life as well as the surgeon.

Hey Duck how was your hospital stay? It is my sisters hospital. You might even have talked to her when you out processed.

Nice place but I never want to go back.

It would probably easier to ask her.

Nice place but I never want to go back.

It would probably easier to ask her.

Just kidding. She alwys tells me when they get cruise patients. We just laugh. Do not blame you not wanting to go back. Hate hospitals myself.

Big Duck, so glad you are home and on the road to recovery. That must have been very scary for you and DW. I "know" you from many posts on the subject of the Splendor and am sorry again that this happened on your cruise and hope you will be able to make plans for another one in the near future. I was on the cruise right before yours (5/9-5/17) Just curious what part of the ship you were airlifted from. Our tablemate had an "incident" on our Miracle cruise on 2/10, the one before the cruise that the teenager from Saratoga Springs passed, that did not turn out well. Good thoughts to you.

Big Duck, so glad you are home and on the road to recovery. That must have been very scary for you and DW. I "know" you from many posts on the subject of the Splendor and am sorry again that this happened on your cruise and hope you will be able to make plans for another one in the near future. I was on the cruise right before yours (5/9-5/17) Just curious what part of the ship you were airlifted from. Our tablemate had an "incident" on our Miracle cruise on 2/10, the one before the cruise that the teenager from Saratoga Springs passed, that did not turn out well. Good thoughts to you.

Deck 11 beside the forward pool (bottom of the water slide).

What an awesome video, thanks to the OP for posting it. Glad you are okay Big Duck. It must have been some ordeal.

Thank goodness for the Coast Guard - they are amazing and make the airlift look so easy. It must have

been nerve wracking for you and your wife. My worse nightmare is getting sick on a cruise and having to be airlifted :eek:

Hope you are fully recovered and sorry to ask but I'm curious.....does insurance cover this or does the Coast Guard do this a service for emergencies at sea?

this actually happened twice that same day. once at about 3am (i missed it and heard the next morning), and then again at night (i don't remember what time)

as bad as i felt for the passengers involved, i thought it was SO cool to see this first hand.

EDIT: well, now after actually reading the pages before getting worked up :x

Big Duck, i'm glad you're okay and that it wasn't worse.

You should have seen it from my angle. :cool:

Have to say: I love your attitude. You could be moaning and groaning and complaining and saying "poor me." I have read many a thread over the years of people who have done such over trivial things, and you had your cruise cut short on DAY ONE for a life threatening condition and not a peep....I applaud you and wish you good health and may you have many cruises in your future. :)

• 3 weeks later...
This is a link to a site that posted a video of the airlifting of a Carnival Splendor passenger and CC member. First comes the nurse from the ship's staff, then the passenger, then the Coast Guard diver. Amazing to watch from the helicopter.

Passenger is doing fine and will be going home soon. :D

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/291040/coast-guard-rescues-heart-attack-victim-cruise-ship-150-miles-offshore#.UZo5I6LVCSo

WOW! That's SOME footage!

Well, I am late to the party as usual! :rolleyes: I do have an excuse as I was in Disney World with my family at the time and when I got back to checking the boards, this thread was buried. Thanks Phlybice for bringing it back to the front page!

Duck, glad to hear you are feeling better and I hope your are well on your way to a full recovery!:cool:

Wow -- I am just now seeing this video for the first time -- awesome job on the part of everyone.

I'm a nurse at a big hospital in Tampa and we frequently get patients airlifted in from cruise ships in the Gulf-- it is very cool to see it from the shipside perspective.

Archived