Getting into Anchorage at 12:30 am - then what?

kimmergal

My husband and I are going on our first cruise, to Alaska on Princess Sapphire. The last day of the cruise it gets into Anchorage at 12:30 am. So I'm assuming it takes a few hours to disembark. Where do you go at 4 or so in the morning? This cruise comes in this time every week so the area is used to it but what and where should we go ha! I need to book our return flight home. Looking at leaving at 1:25 pm - so that would be about 8 hours in the airport. OR take that flight home the next day and spend a day in Anchorage. So we are off the boat with our luggage and now what at this early hour?

My husband and I are going on our first cruise, to Alaska on Princess Sapphire. The last day of the cruise it gets into Anchorage at 12:30 am. So I'm assuming it takes a few hours to disembark. Where do you go at 4 or so in the morning? This cruise comes in this time every week so the area is used to it but what and where should we go ha! I need to book our return flight home. Looking at leaving at 1:25 pm - so that would be about 8 hours in the airport. OR take that flight home the next day and spend a day in Anchorage. So we are off the boat with our luggage and now what at this early hour?

I would check the time again. I don't think customs is up that early. Serously even if the ship gets in at 12:30 am I don't think they will disembark until the next morning. Most passengers aren't going to stay up until midnight to get off the ship!

I just checked a site I go to for looking up cruises and you are correct it does say the ship arrives in Whittier at 12:30. That seems strange to me, but I am pretty sure they won't disembark unitl the next morning as the ship doesn't leave until 8:30 pm.

Ok - that makes alot of sense. Having never done this I don't know how any of this works. I just couldn't imagine all these bleery eyed people roaming the streets this early. I think I will take the flight home the next day. And thanks for the heads up on Whittier. Is the airport in Anchorage itself?

The ship docks while you are asleep. You will disembark in the morning like at any other port. Do check with Princess as to what time is the earliest flight you can make. They are called the flight guidelines. As the pp stated, Whittier is an hour from Anchorage. Anchorage does have the convention center holding area that the transfers drop you off at if you have a later flight.

Get a late afternoon flight and take a Princess tour/transfer. the tour will end at the Egan Center, walking distance to shopping, free wifi, and place to check bags. Your checked baggage will already be there, ready for you to claim when it is time to go to the airport. EM

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No -- you won't be getting off the ship at that hour of the morning (night).

You will get sleep and breakfast before you head to Anchorage.

If I were you, I would book a late afternoon flight and take oe of Princess's excursions where you are dropped off at the airport.

Those excursions should be listed on the Princess site for you to see and book. That way you can get an idea what time the bus will arrive at the airport.

It sounds like a safe, sane decision to me. I haven't been to Alaska, but if it's like disembarkation anywhere I have been, you have no guarantee on when you will be off the ship. They disembark you in groups, and the order of the groups getting off is something you have no control over. Maybe you can pay more to be in an early group, I don't know. If you book your own airfare, they are under no obligation to make sure you get there in time. 1:25 in the afternoon sounds like cutting it dangerously close as you might not get off until late morning. That has been my experience.

One time we went to the Bahamas and they wouldn't let anybody off because someone had not gotten back on the ship to come back and they evidently didn't figure it out until we were back in Florida. Everyone was really angry. They finally had to let us go because people would be missing their flights. Some may have for all I know. I'm glad we were driving.

So, enjoy the extra day. Get to the airport early and avoid anxiety!

Archived