Will be gone 10 days...

msdebbe

I have a basic idea of what I am taking but I do not want to over pack or under pack.

We will be on a Med. cruise. I have had to purchase clothes because of a weight loss. My current

plan is 4 casual dresses, 2 cocktail dresses, 2 pairs slacks, 2 pairs capris, 1 skirt and 2 -3 prs

Bermuda shorts. I will have tops/tanks to go with, lightweight sweater. The color scheme is

black/white with bright colored tops for most. I will wear one pair travel shoes on the plane,

take several pair flipflops (not rubber one but nice ones), and 1 pr. dress heels. One bathing suit/one cover-up tunic.

I also found a packable floppy hat for touring and pool along with a baseball cap type hat.

Do you think I need more? Take less? Any suggestions on what I could be missing?

Thanks, Debbie

Sounds like a good mix of separates and a few dresses for occasions. The travel shoes you are wearing - are they walking shoes? Not sure of your ports but some European ports are very pebbly, dusty, and uneven. Not the kind of place for flip-flops.

Enjoy your cruise!

Which cruiseline?

IMO your list is bottom heavy. Can you take out 1 or two pairs of shorts?

You could wear the same cocktail dress for both dressy nights. Buy a pretty scarf in port to wear with the dress for the second night.

Just bring one pair of flip flops/sandals.

Our theory is-- If it fits in an unexpanded 22" suitcase it can be packed.

I agree with SadieN that 7-8 bottoms for a 10 day vacation seems like a lot. Although I like a fresh top every day, I am comfortable wearing a pair of pants for more than one day.

I'd bring two bathing suits, as I hate putting on a damp suit.

My husband and I went to Savannah last fall and I tried really hard to pack less for this trip. What a mistake! Because of the moisture in the air we had to change our clothes twice a day and we didn't have enough clothes! If I had packed the way I normally do we would have had enough. So in my opinion if you have room and are under your weight limit pack everything you want.

I would definitely bring more than one bathing suit. Try to pare down the number of shoes you pack.

Med cruises are port intensive and not a lot of time for swimming. I never put mine on the entire two weeks of cruising last summer. I wore it once at our hotel in Athens, only because the entire city was shut down due to the elections and there wasn't much else to do but hang around by the hotel pool.

Agree on the shoes. For the Med you need one pair of walking shoes, one pair of casual sandals, and one pair of shoes/sandals for the evening, although I wouldn't suggest a heel.

My husband and I went to Savannah last fall and I tried really hard to pack less for this trip. What a mistake! Because of the moisture in the air we had to change our clothes twice a day and we didn't have enough clothes! If I had packed the way I normally do we would have had enough. So in my opinion if you have room and are under your weight limit pack everything you want.

What does the humidity in Savannah have to do with the Med with it's general lack of humidity?

OP--Read the list (with photos) in my signature link. I think it will give you all the info you need.

You have too many dresses. Take mix and match tops and bottoms for dinners. You can also use some of those tops during the day.

Try to bring things you can hand wash in the sink if need be. I hand washed bras and often a shirt every day. it took me about three minutes start to finish, and despite the dire warnings I got about things not drying, everything was dry within 24 hours. Generally if I washed before breakfast it was dry before bed.

Sorry Ducklite if I didn't reply in a way you like. I was giving my opinion that if you have room and are under weight why not take what you want to take? You are not going to be given a prize for underpacking. GEESH SORRY

It doesn't sound like too much clothing to me. What the OP is taking is pretty much what I do. I have additional t-shirts and a pair of water shorts for my coverups on my dive trips, which is every port. I never understand the need to take everything in a carryon for a cruise.

If you're planning to wear sundresses while touring, cut back the number of shorts. A second swimsuit if you're enjoying the hot tub after a long day of walking. You didn't mention sleepwear -- I take a couple of lightweight chemise/gowns, plus a tshirt and a pair of yoga pants in case I want to lounge on the balcony with coffee.

What does the humidity in Savannah have to do with the Med with it's general lack of humidity?

If its hot, it's hot & you might want to change more than once since you'll probably be sweating. Doesn't matter if it's humid or not.

On our Baltic trip they had a freak heat wave, they broke temperature records in every port. Hot yes, humid no, but we did shower & change after getting back to the ship. I ended up using the self-serve laundry a lot on that trip since we packed for cooler weather.

If you're planning to wear sundresses while touring, cut back the number of shorts. A second swimsuit if you're enjoying the hot tub after a long day of walking. You didn't mention sleepwear -- I take a couple of lightweight chemise/gowns, plus a tshirt and a pair of yoga pants in case I want to lounge on the balcony with coffee.

I agree if your bringing the casual dresses for tours, then I'd take out the slacks.

You can wear the capris to dinner if that's what you were bringing the slacks for.

3 dresses for touring; capri's for the other. Cocktail dresses for formal night; 2 dresses for other dinners, slackls for other dinners. I didn't mention that I personally like to have an extra outfit or 2 with for a choice or an accident. I once had a entire outfit ruined by the waiter spilling a hot cup of coffee on my white shorts and top. They tried to clean them but it didn't come out; since then,

I have taken an extra outfit. Since this is pretty port intense, I don't plan on doing much of anything except to relax when we are back on board and that will mean having dinner, going to a show or just relaxing on the balcony.

I do have sleepwear and undergarments on my list. I have one pair of walking shoes that I will wear on the plane and a pair of walking sandals. I will carry the walking sandals in my tote if I have to slip out of the flip flops which will also double as a pool shoe.

I enjoy dressing and have had lots of fun shopping and planning. Thanks for all the input and love some of the suggestions!

3 dresses for touring; capri's for the other. Cocktail dresses for formal night; 2 dresses for other dinners, slackls for other dinners. I didn't mention that I personally like to have an extra outfit or 2 with for a choice or an accident. I once had a entire outfit ruined by the waiter spilling a hot cup of coffee on my white shorts and top. They tried to clean them but it didn't come out; since then,

I have taken an extra outfit. Since this is pretty port intense, I don't plan on doing much of anything except to relax when we are back on board and that will mean having dinner, going to a show or just relaxing on the balcony.

I do have sleepwear and undergarments on my list. I have one pair of walking shoes that I will wear on the plane and a pair of walking sandals. I will carry the walking sandals in my tote if I have to slip out of the flip flops which will also double as a pool shoe.

I enjoy dressing and have had lots of fun shopping and planning. Thanks for all the input and love some of the suggestions!

Hi, I went to the Med last May....where has the time gone?:eek:

It is very port intensive and after touring all day? Not sure you

will want to wear those dresses more than once;)It can get quite

warm outside.

We are all different individuals so what is good for one, may not

work for someone else.

Touring? I prefer cotton capris/shorts and tops...and shoes and socks.

I am not really a dress gal although I do like them in the evenings:)

But on all those long days of touring, they are not for me.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise:)

My suggestion is to do a list day by day. You can either choose to never wear the same piece twice or wear something more than once but that way you know if you're missing anything or have something you don't need. You certainly don't have to stick to those outfits on those days, but if I have an activity that needs something more specific, it's a great way to make sure you have that covered.

I also completely agree with having an extra outfit in case I spill something or want a choice.

I have several dollar store rain ponchos that I plan on taking as well as a small umbrella just in case we get some rain. I like the suggestion of writing down what I plan to wear when as I am

not really a morning person and the tours we have reserved leave at 8:00 am!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Remember that packing is an ever evolving process. You will probably find that no matter how much or little you bring there will always be somethings that never get worn and other things that you wish you would have brought.

Bring some Febreeze. Spray it on your clothes when you take them off. They can be worn again if they are clean. Remember everyone is in the same boat as you.:p

I think your list sounds pretty good. Especially compared to some I've read here over the years. It lists a fair amount for day and evening wear.

And I agree with SadieN., no matter how much we plan it always seems packing is never perfect. Our last trip I could have done with one less casual dress and one more pair of capris. I worked it out ok, just wore a pair of other capris that I pressed to freshen in the laundry room.

Put all your things together before you actually pack to see if it's workable and coordinated. I do this with a rolling rack., hang the clothes up and fold, stack the other accessories underneath, see how it looks to you. This way you can see what will coordinate and you won't forget anything.

Successful packing to me is coming home with a case full of dirty clothes. I do not mind a bit of hand laundry or sending a few pieces out for cleaning to lighten the load. I want a balance, enough clothes that I'm not wearing the same thing constantly, yet not so much my suitcases are a great burden during the times I have to handle it myself.

I think I fall between an overpacker and a light packer. My new suitcase is a 24"on 4 wheels. Fully packed it comes in at around 38 lbs. I have a small rolling carry on and a tote bag, I can attach it all together and easily handle them by myself.

I think your list sounds pretty good. Especially compared to some I've read here over the years. It lists a fair amount for day and evening wear.

And I agree with SadieN., no matter how much we plan it always seems packing is never perfect. Our last trip I could have done with one less casual dress and one more pair of capris. I worked it out ok, just wore a pair of other capris that I pressed to freshen in the laundry room.

Put all your things together before you actually pack to see if it's workable and coordinated. I do this with a rolling rack., hang the clothes up and fold, stack the other accessories underneath, see how it looks to you. This way you can see what will coordinate and you won't forget anything.

Successful packing to me is coming home with a case full of dirty clothes. I do not mind a bit of hand laundry or sending a few pieces out for cleaning to lighten the load. I want a balance, enough clothes that I'm not wearing the same thing constantly, yet not so much my suitcases are a great burden during the times I have to handle it myself. Not do successful packing is having to separate clean from dirty in the case, that means you took too

much.

I think I fall between an overpacker and a light packer. My new suitcase is a 24"on 4 wheels. Fully packed it comes in at around 38 lbs. I have a small rolling carry on and a tote bag, I can attach it all together and easily handle them by myself.

I took ONE bathing suit and used it at least 4 times...because some places were so uneven...like Ephesus...my hips hurt...(never happened before)- so I used the pool for hydrotherapy! It was GREAT....

We also wore bathing suits to the beach in Mykonos..

We did not take rain ponchos or umbrellas....only one time and place did it rain..(I carry a zip lock to put cameras, phones in).shortly before we were going to leave the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul to get back to the ship....we got wet...but after every day touring we showered anyway...it was a 2 shower a day cruise due to the heat AND humidity!!! In general terms, a cruise takes you to port cities which by nature can tend to be humid...

After touring all day, we would rehydrate on the ship ;), then shower and change for dinner.

Right now, I have more planned than you do....for my 12 day Med this summer....My weight limit is 50 pounds, I was at 47.5 last year.

but I pick and choose my lightest weight clothing...since it is summer...

One dress can easily weigh twice as much as a different one. I have two gowns that are super light...together lighter than one of my dress in weight...

If you are going into churches, Vatican, mosques and are wearing sleeveless clothing, find a VERY VERY light sweater type item to keep in your bag...I also pick something cozy to wear on the plane....loose, warm....soft!!

I try to pick something that can cover cruise clothing if we hit cool weather...

This year, I am going to wear a denim jacket on the plane, and carry a thin lightweight black knit long sleeve cover up for touring or cold restaurants..it goes in a zip lock bag and is very light to carry....

When we were in Istanbul, I wore long pants and long sleeve shirt...but tossed a tank top in my bag...it was sooo hot and HUMID..I changed in the bathroom before we went to the Grand Bazaar.

We usually do at least one load of laundry on the ship....but I am on vacation and do not enjoy re-wearing clothing..

I like the variety....I also have already tossed in my bag potential tops and bottoms....periodically, I look thru and try to see that tops can be used with more than one bottom I brought.

One shirt I would have loved to bring, was heavier than my other shirts due to the material...and I don't like the way it goes with the bottoms I am bringing..., so..It got tossed, "off the ship".

I wear lightweight cozy pants on the plane there and back....but I figure 2 pairs of shorts= one pair of pants....and it is summer....so it helps lighten the luggage...by not taking any other pants.

I am serious that you need to consider the weight of the fabric when you are packing items.

I have long shorts that are a heavy duck fabric...but the weight of those equals my CK white capris and two of the skirts I am bringing...so those shorts never made it near the suitcase...

I am bringing a pair of shorts to exercise in...and the sneakers I am bringing weight just 8 ounces- last years sneaks were a pound and a half...

I always try to bring one extra if I plan out dresses...one cruise...brand new dress....I put it on...zipper broke....We drove to port, so I did pack an extra dress....but since I bring plenty for the Med..I would just re wear something...

I weighed 10 dresses recently, they were 8 pounds....So.....choose the items carefully....and pay attention to the heaviness of the item.

Bernadette

Archived