My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Thank you for all your replies about cabins, especially the photos. I was thinking of the XD cabins on deck 4 that look similar, but I can see deck 6 would have it's advantages, so XE sounds good. A fridge would be useful - do they let you bring non alcoholic drinks onboard to drink in your cabin? The British cruise lines have tea and coffee making facilities in the cabins, which we will miss.

We have 3 cruises booked for over the next few months, so I will make a list of well placed cabins which will make it easier to book online from wherever we are when the cruises go on sale. I assume the sea will be reasonably calm in early March, so we can look at nearer to the front than we normally would. We usually find that older ships have a lot of vibration at the rear - is that the case with the Louis Crystal?

Barbara

Nobdy ever checked what tou brought back on board, however the rules are that you are not allowed too. However you could see shore bought beer being drank, local beer, which is made by Labatts cost 1.00 -1.25CUC ashore or $100 J dollars.

Never felt any vibration on the ship.

I enjoyed SI cabin, however as others said,with high solid rail you had to standup to see the view, however no wind because of it"s slope. Some of the cabins near the front of deck 6 were seemed large as were the balcony cabins on deck 7.

Nobdy ever checked what tou brought back on board, however the rules are that you are not allowed too. However you could see shore bought beer being drank, local beer, which is made by Labatts cost 1.00 -1.25CUC ashore or $100 J dollars.

Never felt any vibration on the ship.

I enjoyed SI cabin, however as others said,with high solid rail you had to standup to see the view, however no wind because of it"s slope. Some of the cabins near the front of deck 6 were seemed large as were the balcony cabins on deck 7.

Small balcony on Deck 7, has glass.

img_9750jpg

boards.cruisecritic.com

So it looks like Cruise Critic (ie, ME!) will be onboard the March 23 sailing. How many other people are going? Should we start a roll call in a separate thread?

I am on the March 20th sailing, and would be interested in meeting up with anyone from here. Maybe on our sea day (Tuesday the 24th)?

The cost of the Cuban Visas is now included in one’s cruise fare as is done with the airlines. But lose it and you have to pay $30 CDN for a replacement.

Coffee lovers take note: Louis Cristal offers the best coffee of any and all 7 lines we have travelled with. Coffee as good as home and self service is available from 6:30 am.

Two dining room seatings are being offered aboard. The first seating is at 6:00 pm and which is proceeded by the Eros Bar “Happy Hour” of from 5:00 to 6:00 where they offer drinks at half price. As to our second seating of 8:00 pm? Tough luck…

The ship’s water is always safe to drink. But we note the increased level of chlorine additive after visiting some ports. The tap water was found to be at its best after departure from Antilla but before arrival at Santiago de Cuba and again after Punta Francis and before arrival at Havana, times when the water is primarily distilled, ship produced. At least these are the times we found to be best to fill water bottles.

Reminder: When the ship’s telephone announcement in your language is completed and you wish to avoid having to hear all the other languages, simply lift and replace your telephone receiver. (The one exception is Life Boat Drill announcements which are uninterruptable)

Having read that offering toiletry gifts to the locals is much appreciated, we brought along a bag of new packaged toothbrushes as well as sample size floss containers. When we attempted to hand them out to children in Havana, they declined them and instead asked for money. So we thought that we may then have had enough toothbrushes to see us out, but we are happy to report that they were accepted and appreciated at an Antilla Primary school.

A very handsome enamelled Cuba Cruise logo lapel pin is being sported by all staff members aboard the Cristal. It brings to mind the many and varied pins we have received from other cruise lines over the years representing the number of cruise we have taken with them. Ahem…

At Antilla, just beyond the Tender dock, there is a small café that welcomes the ship each week in presenting a great band of Cuban music. Here they serve the coldest beer ever held by human hand, a welcomed break in this climate and a welcomed break in the wallet (one CUC). But yesterday at the suggestions of ships management and staff who were also seated there, we tried the deep fried whole fish, a fresh local delicacy. A unique and delicious Cuban meal ashore with fried Pantene, rice and veggies all for only 3 CUC’s. One cannot live by ship food alone. Catch this fun port while we still can because…

…on the rumour-mill-meter of from 1 to 10 we have it on an 8 that there is to be a second ship joining in this Cuban adventure as well as an extended cruise season. Also, stops at Antilla and Punta Frances are said to be dropped, presumably due to the need to tender and these replaced with one new port, as yet to be announced, and a stay over in Havana. More news at 11 as they say…

Most of us have encountered a menu board ship when all the entrees are enticing and even though you may want to try each and every one of them, there are limits to one’s capacity and so, you choose one. Then there are contrary evenings when nothing seems digestible and, to us currently aboard the Cristal, such a night falls each Wednesday. So if you are thinking of trying the Alberta Steak restaurant while aboard, do yourself a favour and plan it for the Wednesday evening.

Santiago de Cuba sees the tourist future and is currently constructing a waterfront park that promise to be an eye catcher at least from the Starboard side of the ship. They have demolished old warehouses and currently have the designated raised flower beds in place and almost completed. There yet remains a portion of one steel rod reinforced concrete building to be removed which was underway with sledge hammers. A week ago they had accomplished about a third using an eight man team, four on four off, work away at taking it down bit by smashed bit. Our arrival this morning reveal about half completion with this obvious dangerous work. There suddenly appeared a huge jackhammer machine to complete the job. Why now and not then? A Cuban mystery. The Cuban Army Engineers set charges to break up some old foundations, the detonation of which caused some anxiety in us the uninformed. But by the layout design of this park the end result is going to be most pleasing, one we are looking forward to seeing next season. But their next project should be the harbour waters for the ship’s turbulent arrival stirs up such unpleasant odours.

Hell hath no fury like the paralyzed Wi-Fi subscriber. Thinking that some improvement may have been made in the ship’s system, we foolishly signed up for another attempt at communication with the outside world. Introducing the subject of our failures over cocktails resulted in responses such as “Don’t get me started”. Stating that it is no worse than other cruise line’s systems is a poor excuse for charging for a fictitious service. But if in fact they can do just that, why should they try to improve? We were unable to send this until we reached Montego Bay where one can buy good Wi-Fi- for only five bucks for the whole day.

We foreign hotel guests are permitted to watch US- TV here in Cuba. Switching on the box in our room, we eventually received all the channels. But this has not been applied to the ship. While we had CNN, unfortunately the only news channel offered aboard, once we sailed we lost even that signal and we have not had any news source since. We’re no fan of this sort of TV but we like to keep abreast of the international news, any news. With no internet we also remain in the information dark until we reach Montego Bay. We have to wonder why the ship is not treated as a hotel. Is the ship permitted to open the satellite signal but chooses not to? And if so and they eventually splurge to do so, we hope it will be for more broad international services other than that of the one and only previously offered.

We have to tell you of a little gem of a secluded garden patio oasis we have discovered where one can have a wonderful and delicious meal. Riico’s offers a full bar service and is located at 5taAve7402,e/74y76 (7402 5th Ave. in Miramar) across the street from the Occidental Miramar Hotel. A small neon sign reading “OPEN” is the only landmark. It is privately owned as the polite and attentive service clearly tells. The staff uniforms, linen napkins and mirror reflecting cutlery belies their very moderate prices. The cooking, grilling and barbeque is prepared in the open for you to watch and appreciate. We thoroughly enjoyed our seafood shish kabob for lunch. We returned one evening for a marvelous Pork rib Barbeque served at your table on a sculptured terracotta clay dish, lined with hot coals. Riico’s is open for lunch and dinner and as late as midnight. English speaking service is available, so enjoy. We sure did.

A very handsome enamelled Cuba Cruise logo lapel pin is being sported by all staff members aboard the Cristal. It brings to mind the many and varied pins we have received from other cruise lines over the years representing the number of cruise we have taken with them. Ahem…

Saw them and I was hoping they might have had it in the gift shop to purchase or a key chain, or something small, but nothing.

Guess I'll be making my own with resin and the flower cutouts.

I didn't want a ball cap with just CC letters on it, didn't need a hoodie and the lovely turquoise colour the ladies t-shirt came in looked a size or two too small even in the XXL.

Thanks again to replies to me.

ONT CA I have printed out your comments on Riico's as we will be staying in the Melia Habana which is only a couple of blocks away next year. We have our fingers crossed it is still open and as good then.

Barbara

So it looks like Cruise Critic (ie, ME!) will be onboard the March 23 sailing. How many other people are going? Should we start a roll call in a separate thread?

It would be nice to meet others on the ship - My husband and I are on the Mar 23 sailing and have book numerous shore trips as well - we are from British Columbia - near Vancouver.

HELLO.

This go of the past comes in handy for the amount of information you give us.

:)

A Land&Sea and Chacas88 look after the boat for those who still have to go, jaja.

After read you, I think winning a landslide the opinion that the cruise is OK, there are little problems or not improvable behavior such as toilets cannot handle paper, but mostly it's an excellent way to see Cuba. ;)

P598738 So, I understand that your expectations were different but share which is to say that tastes or level of the Aegean Sea, I have traveled various seas and are your companions and not the route who determines the trip. : Confuso:

Liz54, Burm, Bonjour51, KandsCsailing, Nightingalegirl, ElandMar, Retiring Soon and ONT-CA Thank you for sharing your experience. : D

I have two doubts : in MO that you went to Negril beach was to tour the ship? the bus MO haven´t airconditioning ?. When reading CruiseCritic and TripAdvisor, you can confirm me the package price of beverage? Is $ 273 the two people in the cabin?, and package 7 bottles is per stateroom or can share a table of 4? : Cool:

Many Thanks. Here already thinking about my baggage. All Right :):)

HI all!

CC Chris ~ welcome to the thread!:D Look forward to reading your review when you return. Adam from CC UK was on the ship when I was last year & enjoyed the cruise. BTW individual roll calls haven't worked with this cruise, we just all talk here.

Ron ~ so nice to hear from you & it was nice to finally meet you on board.

Very interesting news you're presenting! That'll be too bad if they take away Antilla now we're hearing about fun, inexpensive things to do there.

DH had a good time there walking around listening to/taping music & having a Pina Colada on the street for just 5 CUC. Another person commented on how many hours they spent there too. I can see them spending more time in Havana as that is what most folks want to experience. .

I was hoping that this year we'd be the only ship at the island but that didn't happen.

Anyhow have a nice weekend, bon voyage to any leaving on Monday & safe travels if you're headed home where it's currently -5C & snowing.

~ Jo ~ :)

…on the rumour-mill-meter of from 1 to 10 we have it on an 8 that there is to be a second ship joining in this Cuban adventure as well as an extended cruise season. Also, stops at Antilla and Punta Frances are said to be dropped, presumably due to the need to tender and these replaced with one new port, as yet to be announced, and a stay over in Havana. More news at 11 as they say…

I hope this rumor is true. Now that we Americans can go on this cruise, it is sure to fill up.

I love the idea of a stay over in Havana and if one of the ports that will be deleted is the beach day, I am fine with that. I want to experience the history and culture, not the beach.

I think it would be great if the ship was able to go round trip leaving from Miami. I do not care to go to Jamaica, having been there more times than I care to.

Hopefully an extended cruise season would include May. My favorite months to cruise are May and September/October.

I can't wait!

I have sent a few email enquiries to Cuba Cruise within the last week.

I have been told the next season will be from Dec 2015 - March 2016 and that they would be embarking on Mondays from Havana. Their replies to my queries were all promt and clear. My further emails were with futher questions, so I did not need to drag the details from them.

I did, however, make clear that we wanted to embark from Havana and that we would be spending longer there. I am thinking that if they do run a second ship, the most logical thing would be to embark one ship in Havana and the other in Jamaica, so just one embarkation in the weekly schedule for each ship. Just speculation from me obviously.

One more day in Havana would be OK with us, but if 2 ports are deleted, we would want to have a least one more worthwhile port in Cuba, (not a beach), added, or we may prefer not to take the cruise and spend a bit of time visiting other places in Cuba instead.

I would expect anyone embarking in Havana to spend some time in a hotel or casa as well. Although Canadians may think it is worth flying there just for a week as it is a much shorter, (and presumably cheaper), flight than the flight from the UK, which takes 10 hrs out and 8.5hrs back.

I suspect more than one day in Havana would put a number of people off, if they are travelling a long way. So that could be a bad move for the company.

Edited by tring

I would not be nearly as interested in flying to Florida for embarkation. For Canadians that would make the trip much more hassle with considerably more security related red tape. We will wait and see, but I can see how more time in Havana would be great for a lot of people.

When we booked, a year ago, there were no packages so we had to do our own. It was significantly more expensive. We are looking forward to going again and having more options.

LIZ54- Many Thanks for the info. In MO let's go with the boat to Negril, so know the Jimmy Buffet and Rick coffee. ;)

Very Well what wine to share, but you know the price of the beverage package, in website says 273$ but does not clarify if it's stateroom, and TripAdvisor talk about $ 42 per day but do not clarify whether per person, someone can solve my doubt? : Confuso:

RETIRING SOON and TRING, as I said a month ago Celestyal Cruises, owners Louis Cristal, explained 2015-16 season in FITUR (Spain) and the boat if he returns to Cuba but route change, sure makes night in Habana and insurance is not repeated in Antilla, alternative unconfirmed is Gibara, as they need closer to the northern port. : Cool:

Good starry nights

One more day in Havana would be OK with us, but if 2 ports are deleted, we would want to have a least one more worthwhile port in Cuba, (not a beach), added, or we may prefer not to take the cruise and spend a bit of time visiting other places in Cuba instead.

Personally I loved the time on the beach at Punta Frances and thought it worthwhile. I liked walking on the sand and looking for shells for a couple hours. I enjoy the tenders also.

I would not be nearly as interested in flying to Florida for embarkation. For Canadians that would make the trip much more hassle with considerably more security related red tape. We will wait and see, but I can see how more time in Havana would be great for a lot of people.

Did you get on in Montego Bay or Hanava?

I don't really want to leave from Miami, but arriving at the Havana airport was the most hassle I've ever had. When we fly from Canada to the US to cruise our carry on luggage is scanned in Canada and in the pier terminal.

It really slowed us down in the Havana airport when after lining up for immigration we had to line up again to have our carry on's get scanned again.

Edited by KandCsailing

Personally I loved the time on the beach at Punta Frances and thought it worthwhile. I liked walking on the sand and looking for shells for a couple hours. I enjoy the tenders also.

Did you get on in Montego Bay or Hanava?

I don't really want to leave from Miami, but arriving at the Havana airport was the most hassle I've ever had. When we fly from Canada to the US to cruise our carry on luggage is scanned in Canada and in the pier terminal.

It really slowed us down in the Havana airport when after lining up for immigration we had to line up again to have our carry on's get scanned again.

We are quite happy to spend a day on beach from a standard cruise, but the reason for doing this would be to see parts of Cuba that are difficult to travel to overland rather than a beach that could be anywhere in the world. We would not choose a low standard cruise ship were you have to put toilet paper in the bin for a normal cruise so need to be persuaded by the ports on this one. There are some really nice hotels in Cuba if you look into them thoroughly and road journies are interesting in themselves. Each to their own.

We flew to Varadero in Cuba last time and there were no unusual delays whatsoever - it is a standard package holiday destination from the UK, so Havana, Varadero and Holguin all have regular flights from here. The US, however, is a nightmare for British passengers as we need a esta visa waiver and the immigration process takes absolutely ages at any port/airport. Several hours are allowed onboard a ship for that process to be completed before anyone can go ashore. I heard of one ship calling to one of the main 2 Californian ports, when the process took most, (if not all), of the day, so the ship had to stay another day for trips etc to be able to take place!

I have just seen Gibara on Google Earth. It looks like a poor town, but it is a town , so there could be something to do from the port, if only stroll around. It is near Antilla, I presume they would do the same trips from there. So would be quite acceptable to us.

Edited by tring

HI all!

I see Marcc has added his review to the others. He said he'd have some negative opinions & did but overall seemed to like the experience, coffee not withstanding.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=272830

I don't get all the fuss about the tp issue! We've experienced this in resorts (3*) in Mexico & Cuba before & I personally don't find it a big deal! They're not asking you to squat over a hole like in some foreign countries for Pete's sake!!

As for the beach issue I'm not a beach lover but think people going to Cuba for the 1st time might want to take advantage of a lovely beach day.

Anyhow different strokes for sure!

Looking forward to seeing what the next season brings. Can't say that we'll do it again as Panama or Costa Rica interest me for their natural attractions.

We will be taking nappy sacks, (which are basically scented plastic bags), for dirty toilet paper, so I would hope there should not be a really bad smell in the cabin. It is what people going to the lower standard of Greek hotels do and we have used them once there. Must be quite a problem if you were to pick up a bug though.

We have not come accross that system in hotel's elsewhere including Havana and Varadero. We have not been on a land based holiday to Mexico, but have been to Africa lots of times and the far east/India a couple of times. We encountered no problems in hotels in any of those places.

Have come across the system out of hotels in a number of countries though.

I am surprised the ship do not seem to supply plastic bags for that purpose, which would make a big difference.

Edited by tring

HI all!

I see Marcc has added his review to the others. He said he'd have some negative opinions & did but overall seemed to like the experience, coffee not withstanding.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=272830

I don't get all the fuss about the tp issue! We've experienced this in resorts (3*) in Mexico & Cuba before & I personally don't find it a big deal! They're not asking you to squat over a hole like in some foreign countries for Pete's sake!!

As for the beach issue I'm not a beach lover but think people going to Cuba for the 1st time might want to take advantage of a lovely beach day.

Anyhow different strokes for sure!

Looking forward to seeing what the next season brings. Can't say that we'll do it again as Panama or Costa Rica interest me for their natural attractions.

Not a bad review. I also hated the coffee. Somehow no matter how much sugar I put in I couldn't get it sweet enough for me.

I gave the buffet staff a laugh when I said that short arms and a chest were not meant to reach the hot water tap on the coffee makers when they were set so far back.

We were about halfway through the cruise when we found out that a couple we had been seated with at dinner and had been talking to often on deck was Marcc. We got together for dinner on the last night on purpose.

The ship really does need the plumbing redone. The suction pressure didn't seem as powerful or loud as other ships we've done. On our second last day the toilet flush developed a one minute delay that we informed the staff about.

That said, I had no problem with doing the garbage can system for a week. I would rather have had a bigger shower or more storage space.

I've been to friends cottages where you didn't flush paper or #1's and at least we knew what to expect because of this thread.

I also agree that the cabin doors need a second lock. I was never walked in on, but I was scared once when the steward knocked.

Glad you don't have a problem with the tp protocol. For me it is the principal reason I lost all interest in booking in the near future. I too have had experience in with this. For that matter, I have even had to use leaves. Neither is an experience I care to pay for.