Suite Psgr - Problem dining in BLU

sjh422

BLU was and is a perk for AQ and allows suite guests on a space available basis, we understand this and we love BLU and most often cruise in AQ because of it....BUT because we were able to secure a RS at a reasonable rate on Equinox last year we decided to go for it and hope that we would be able to dine in Blu. The Maitre D just asked to be called ahead of time so that he could determine if they would have room when we wanted to arrive, our butler did that for us each time and we ate in Blu nearly every night and we considered ourselves fortunate. At NO point did I feel we were entitled to eat there, I recognize it is a perk for AQ guests and don't think just because I paid more or anyone pays more for a suite of any kind, be it an SS or PH, that they should be "entitled" to entry just because of that. The suites get benefits...ie..a butler...that others don't because that's a perk for suites, sorry automatic access to Blu isn't and shouldn't be...it is the PRIME perk for AQ guests and should stay that way.... Just because you spent more $$ for your stateroom does not mean you get anything you want anytime you want.....

The maitre'd being nasty is not acceptable though and I would certainly make that known to his superiors....on 5 sailings we've never had anything but superior service by the Blu maitre d so hope this person gets an attitude adjustment quickly IF he was as nasty as stated!!!

I know the Maitre d' in question, sailed with him on Silhouette a year ago, and find it hard to believe that he was "belligerant" as the OP claims or "nasty" as you state above. to the contrary, he went out of his way to accomodate various requests of people on our Roll Call, including helping me set up a dinner for 25+ others from that Roll Call who were traveling AQ. Of course, he was clear that in order to do so, all of us needed to be there when Blu first opened its doors for dinner, but we did secure primo seats at the rows of table extending from the windows.

While I wasn't on this cruise on Millie (booked but had to cancel due to conflicting work demands) I have friends who were on the cruise, both a couple in a SS and others in AQ. My SS friends found if they dined early (6 PM or earlier) they were always accomodated, and those in AQ said he was professional and charming. That he would not seat suite guests during prime dining times doesn't surprise me...on numerous cruises I have head suite guests told they can dine before 6 or after 8:30 or 9 PM. Maybe the OP felt a reaction from their possible attitude of unwarrented entitlement?

Glad it works for you...it wouldn't for us....we don't enjoy all the Specialty Restaurants....we like Tuscan Grill a lot, don't care for Qsine or Silk Harvest and have had one good and two okay meals at Murano's so for us AQ is better and we've been able to always sit at one of the very private tables for two in Blu that are not part of the line of "2's" by the window or wall...We also enjoy the food and the service in Blu especially the service.

We tell them to forget the tea(you're right...it's awful) and don't use Persian Garden much either(although we do like the one on the M class ships) but Blu makes it all worthwhile...so different strokes for different folks!!:)

On the Reflection and Silhouette they also have the Lawn Grill and Murano's which are both excellent- We probably will dine at the Lawn Grill twice, Murano's twice, Tuscan twice and Qusine once. We also enjoy Bistro on Five and the Lawn (cafe? ) for lunch. In addition, I believe that Murano and or the Tuscan Grill also offer one special lunch per cruise. Each menu has so many excellent choices. But of course I like you believe, different strokes for different folks! I also do not like silk harvest- I bet many agree as they have eliminated it on the Reflection and the Silhouette. Q'Sine is more enjoyable- again --"IMO" Like you, when in Blu we like the private tables for two-

Enjoy your cruise-

On the Reflection and Silhouette they also have the Lawn Grill and Murano's which are both excellent- We probably will dine at the Lawn Grill twice, Murano's twice, Tuscan twice and Qusine once. We also enjoy Bistro on Five and the Lawn (cafe? ) for lunch. In addition, I believe that Murano and or the Tuscan Grill also offer one special lunch per cruise. Each menu has so many excellent choices. But of course I like you believe, different strokes for different folks! I also do not like silk harvest- I bet many agree as they have eliminated it on the Reflection and the Silhouette. Q'Sine is more enjoyable- again --"IMO" Like you, when in Blu we like the private tables for two-

Enjoy your cruise-

I forgot about the Lawn Club Grill, which we love!!! Enjoy your cruise too!!(all of them...lol!!):)

I know the Maitre d' in question, sailed with him on Silhouette a year ago, and find it hard to believe that he was "belligerant" as the OP claims or "nasty" as you state above. ?

just to be clear I said "if" he was nasty...have no idea if it's who you think it is or not...I do know this...on 5 different cruises in AQ we've never seen a Blu Maitre'd that was rude to anyone....

Phew! Had to do a little research to make sure we weren't on the same cruise!:o We were having a good time, but hope we weren't too loud or obnoxious! :D We were on the Summit in October last year for the NJ/PR repositioning cruise, and had a great time with three other couples...and, yes, we reserved (or, should I say, were allowed to reserve) the large table at the front that sat eight. There was another group of 8 who liked to dine on the early side, and we were usually there at 8:30, so almost never had a conflict, and felt the staff did a great job of accommodating both parties. That said, there was often a line, but we could skip it because our table was ready.

I guess I'm curious if this was the case on your cruise- would you have the group of 8 wait in line, or would you have given the table to a group of 4, and left the group of 8 to split up when tables became available? It might not have had anything to do with their being obnoxious, in a suite, or anything else, but simply that they were a group of 8. I know we would sometimes wait at breakfast because we wanted a table for two by the window, but I didn't resent those that got seated right away if they needed/wanted a different type of table.

Andrew

I just think that having a large group does not entitle anyone to special privileges - yes, I get that it is harder to seat those parties, but if asked, I would gladly have (1) made a reservation if given that option or (2) sat at the 8 top table with other people I did not know up to that point or (3) been happy to wait if it wasn't for 25 or 30 minutes in a line on my feet when tired.... it wasn't helped by the attitude of that particular group - it was clear they felt "special" ....

HOWEVER, my main issue was that they were loud - very loud - which really took away from all that we enjoyed about Blu the year before.

Either Blu is open seating for everyone - no reservations - or it's not. The size of the group should not matter for that.

I just think that having a large group does not entitle anyone to special privileges - I would gladly have been happy to wait if it wasn't for 25 or 30 minutes in a line on my feet when tired.... it wasn't helped by the attitude of that particular group - it was clear they felt "special"...

Either Blu is open seating for everyone - no reservations - or it's not. The size of the group should not matter for that.

Hmmm. So you know they felt special? :confused: Or you just wanted their table so you could feel special? :rolleyes:

We never stood in line. On the few occasions when there was a wait, we had them come get us in one of the lounges, where we waited in comfort.

We don't seem to have been special because of our group size, but because we opened our mouths and asked ( either in advance as to when the could seat us, or at the time when we didn't want to stand there.). Sorry if polite inquiries are too much for you.

Then again, we're the types who've moved seats on airlines so families could sit together, rather than harumph about how they seemed to feel "special" in wanting to sit together...

It's all a matter of attitude...

Happy cruising.

Andrew

I just think that having a large group does not entitle anyone to special privileges - yes, I get that it is harder to seat those parties, but if asked, I would gladly have (1) made a reservation if given that option or (2) sat at the 8 top table with other people I did not know up to that point or (3) been happy to wait if it wasn't for 25 or 30 minutes in a line on my feet when tired.... it wasn't helped by the attitude of that particular group - it was clear they felt "special" ....

HOWEVER, my main issue was that they were loud - very loud - which really took away from all that we enjoyed about Blu the year before.

IMO you are being naive. It is not uncommon for restaurants to only have reservations available for large parties. It is not always practical to have a table of 8 available without advanced planning. They do not have to necessarily set aside a section for large groups that might not always be used. Of course the noise issue would be less if they were in a different section like the wine room in the Muranos.

We always sail in aqua class but for our last cruise on the millennium we sailed in a suite. I knew blu was on a space availability for suite passengers and had no problem with that since we were flexible in our eating times. I asked our butler to check with blu about making a reservation and he said no you just show up. So at breakfast in blu I asked the maitre d if this was the case and he said no, I need to have an idea of what days you would like to dine with us so your butler should know better...he then got on the phone with someone telling them that the butlers are telling passengers wrong information. So I asked him when they were having a specific item I like on the menu and he told me the night and put our cabin number down and asked us to come after 8 pm. So I think they just need to be consistent fleet wide and butlers need to do the work and let the maitre d know what day you would like to eat and get the best time frame for the guests to go.

IMO you are being naive. It is not uncommon for restaurants to only have reservations available for large parties. It is not always practical to have a table of 8 available without advanced planning. They do not have to necessarily set aside a section for large groups that might not always be used. Of course the noise issue would be less if they were in a different section like the wine room in the Muranos.

Agree!

I know the Maitre d' in question, sailed with him on Silhouette a year ago, and find it hard to believe that he was "belligerant" as the OP claims or "nasty" as you state above. to the contrary, he went out of his way to accomodate various requests of people on our Roll Call, including helping me set up a dinner for 25+ others from that Roll Call who were traveling AQ. Of course, he was clear that in order to do so, all of us needed to be there when Blu first opened its doors for dinner, but we did secure primo seats at the rows of table extending from the windows.

While I wasn't on this cruise on Millie (booked but had to cancel due to conflicting work demands) I have friends who were on the cruise, both a couple in a SS and others in AQ. My SS friends found if they dined early (6 PM or earlier) they were always accomodated, and those in AQ said he was professional and charming. That he would not seat suite guests during prime dining times doesn't surprise me...on numerous cruises I have head suite guests told they can dine before 6 or after 8:30 or 9 PM. Maybe the OP felt a reaction from their possible attitude of unwarrented entitlement?

EXCUSE ME, we had NO attitude of unwarrented entitlement but were well aware of the guidelines for suite passengers and only asked for a table for 2 at 6pm when there were quite a few tables available. It was the maitre'd who said he made his own guidelines for suite passengers. In subsequent visits, he never greeted us nor came to our table to inquire about our meal. He was far from professional and charming toward us.

EXCUSE ME, we had NO attitude of unwarrented entitlement but were well aware of the guidelines for suite passengers and only asked for a table for 2 at 6pm when there were quite a few tables available. It was the maitre'd who said he made his own guidelines for suite passengers. In subsequent visits, he never greeted us nor came to our table to inquire about our meal. He was far from professional and charming toward us.

I'm not commenting on you or the maitre'd since I wasn't there...but I will say that Blu, on our 5 diffferent cruises is usually very busy by 6:45PM so while you saw lots of tables open at 6, you most likely would not be finished by the time that Blu is basically full with AQ guests....and the maitre'd MAY have been thinking about that when he refused you....just a thought.....

Hmmm. So you know they felt special? :confused: Or you just wanted their table so you could feel special? :rolleyes:

We never stood in line. On the few occasions when there was a wait, we had them come get us in one of the lounges, where we waited in comfort.

We don't seem to have been special because of our group size, but because we opened our mouths and asked ( either in advance as to when the could seat us, or at the time when we didn't want to stand there.). Sorry if polite inquiries are too much for you.

Then again, we're the types who've moved seats on airlines so families could sit together, rather than harumph about how they seemed to feel "special" in wanting to sit together...

It's all a matter of attitude...

Happy cruising.

Andrew

I am going to assume that you misunderstood my point rather than responding in kind....

We waited in line for 20-25 minutes just to speak to the MD - there was no way we could assumed he was just psychic enough to know we'd gone to wait in the bar around the corner. If he would have been at his post for a longer period of time, we'd have been happy to give him our SR#, tell him we'd wait at Cellar Masters and enjoy a glass of wine before dinner. I have absolutely NO problem with that. Unfortunately, it was such utter chaos that the MD was rarely at his post and we all waited in line to speak to him. The large group in question, did not wait in this line - they marched straight past all of us, some of them giggling audibly about not having to get in line and others clearly uncomfortable with the practice. Where I come from, you wait your turn. period. Anything else is considered rude.

Year before last, our experience was 180 degrees different. In fact, it was so good that we booked it again just at the point we were about to swear off cruising for a while because we are really foodies. But we liked Blu so much we decided to give it another go Not saying we are sworn off cruising now, just that I don't want to pay for AQ if I don't get Blu...

I also don't have too much problem with "reserving" tables for larger parties - but also noticed that there were several larger parties and they did not get the red carpet treatment that this one group did.

On one thing, we are agreed - it IS all about attitude.

Sara

(ftr, we also move seats on airlines and will cede a table to someone with a disability, as well)

Last season in Alaska I got some negative and disinterested attitude from the maitre 'd, but I'm not sure if it is the same gentleman (ours was tall with a shaved head, possibly Polish). He would chat up some passengers with great interest, then go back to his serious face and quietly seat us, never return to the table to check on us, and he even ignored our request for a particular waiter. In fact, between him and the distracted head waiter that we were trying to avoid, Blu was the only black mark on my Millennium experience. I did put this on my survey (along with the names of 3 outstanding crew members).

On a more general topic, I wonder if reported increase in crowds is more common once the $5/pp suite fee was removed? I know that's not a lot of money, presumably less to those paying for a suite, but sometimes any fee is enough to keep a few families at bay.

Does not sound like the current MD that we had on our recent Millennium cruise. However, the behavior of our MD was similar to yours. We did have several great servers and also mentioned them by name on our survey.

think the first week back to work after a fabulous vacation has to be one of the seven levels of hell....

The night after our Piton climb, we were looking forward to a nice, calm, relaxing dinner in Blu - just hoping that somehow the kinks were worked out. I wrote X an email about our experience last week and never got a response. Disappointing but not surprising.

Again with the line around the corner to the elevator. Tonight, however, just added insult to injury (ok not injury, but irritation). We'd been waiting for about ten minutes - as had several other groups including a group of six, when a group of eight or ten walked past all of us like they owned the place and sat down at the big table in the middle. No one in the line was pleased about it. But no one in the restaurant did anything about it. I never did figure out how or why, but it was clear this one table of guests was simply more special than the rest of us. I know I sound annoyed - I was and still am. Open seating is supposed to be open seating. If I am to reserve a table or a seating, let me do it. It just felt a bit Orwellian - all AQ guests are equal - just some are more equal than others. In truth, we were tired and starting to get sore and just wanted to sit down. The wait could have been pleasant if there were simply a way to have us wait in Cellar Masters or even a bench so the people with walkers and canes (yes there were two of these in front of us) could sit. I peeked at the menu and halibut was on it, or we would not have stayed.

Having said that, I must say that that particular halibut dish was easily among the best food, including Qsine, that we had all week - it was perfectly prepared and just yummy. I am glad I waited, but still irritated about the situation. One of these days in my free time I am going to count up how many suites there are, because my suspicion is that the issue lies with allowing essentially unrestricted access to suite pax. Whatever it is, our experiences in 2012 just after the refurb and in 2013 a year later were daylight and dark.

Ok, I promise to quit ranting about Blu now, especially since we only ate there one other time...

I assume this is the real story?

think the first week back to work after a fabulous vacation has to be one of the seven levels of hell....

The night after our Piton climb, we were looking forward to a nice, calm, relaxing dinner in Blu - just hoping that somehow the kinks were worked out. I wrote X an email about our experience last week and never got a response. Disappointing but not surprising.

Again with the line around the corner to the elevator. Tonight, however, just added insult to injury (ok not injury, but irritation). We'd been waiting for about ten minutes - as had several other groups including a group of six, when a group of eight or ten walked past all of us like they owned the place and sat down at the big table in the middle. No one in the line was pleased about it. But no one in the restaurant did anything about it. I never did figure out how or why, but it was clear this one table of guests was simply more special than the rest of us. I know I sound annoyed - I was and still am. Open seating is supposed to be open seating. If I am to reserve a table or a seating, let me do it. It just felt a bit Orwellian - all AQ guests are equal - just some are more equal than others. In truth, we were tired and starting to get sore and just wanted to sit down. The wait could have been pleasant if there were simply a way to have us wait in Cellar Masters or even a bench so the people with walkers and canes (yes there were two of these in front of us) could sit. I peeked at the menu and halibut was on it, or we would not have stayed.

Having said that, I must say that that particular halibut dish was easily among the best food, including Qsine, that we had all week - it was perfectly prepared and just yummy. I am glad I waited, but still irritated about the situation. One of these days in my free time I am going to count up how many suites there are, because my suspicion is that the issue lies with allowing essentially unrestricted access to suite pax. Whatever it is, our experiences in 2012 just after the refurb and in 2013 a year later were daylight and dark.

Ok, I promise to quit ranting about Blu now, especially since we only ate there one other time...

I assume this is the real story?

It was, and is, a true story - but not the night I am talking about - this was the night before our last formal night.

what I can't help but wonder, however, is why you insist on calling me a liar or making out like I have an axe to grind of some sort. We were opted out rather than continue to be irritated - what is wrong with that. You clearly have more time on your hands than I do if looking up my past posts trying to catch me in a lie is your idea of fun. I'm finished responding to you now because I am getting to the point that I can no longer respond respectfully, and I'll not let myself be goaded into that.

The point was, and still is, that we only ate in Blu two or three times that week because it was mass chaos, induced irritation and just not worth it on our precious week of vacation - plenty of stress waiting for me at home.

On the Summit, in the winter of 2013, there were issues with Blu. If you want to check back on my posts for the trip in the winter of 2012, you will see that we had nothing but uniform praise for Blu and that, in fact, those experiences led us to book AQ for the winter of 2013. We're trying again in 2014, and I am sincerely hoping it is improved.

Sometimes posters here would rather shoot the messenger than listen to the frustration experienced by another cruiser with a story to tell... I've been there many times.. but come back for more target practice.;)

But sometimes the messenger can get pretty annoying when they only come here to complain. ;)

Having spent 6 consecutive weeks in AQ and experiencing Blu at the best and worst of times, with two different "door guards" I can visualize your experience. There is a real problem describing a problem to some cruisers because they have not experienced any problems personally. I often compare this to driving down a highway.. some breeze through, some are stuck in slow traffic and others are involved in an accident... same highway with different experiences at different times. Unless you were there others just refuse to believe an experience different from their own.

Sometimes posters here would rather shoot the messenger than listen to the frustration experienced by another cruiser with a story to tell... I've been there many times.. but come back for more target practice.;)

Thanks much - I was beginning to feel like I was losing my ever-loving mind.... I like Blu - honestly - just wouldn't choose AQ on Summit if the wrinkles didn't get worked out. Another CC poster (librarylady) feels similarly - and promises it is better on the S class... some day I'll have to try it out:-)

But sometimes the messenger can get pretty annoying when they only come here to complain. ;)

This particular messenger, however, has repeatedly said both good and bad things (overall strongly positive) about Blu... my ONLY point in all of this was that without Blu, I would't think AQ was worth it.

This particular messenger, however, has repeatedly said both good and bad things (overall strongly positive) about Blu... my ONLY point in all of this was that without Blu, I would't think AQ was worth it.

On this we agree...Blu is the only reason we choose AQ...without it we would choose any Veranda in a location we like....:)

Having spent 6 consecutive weeks in AQ and experiencing Blu at the best and worst of times, with two different "door guards" I can visualize your experience. There is a real problem describing a problem to some cruisers because they have not experienced any problems personally. I often compare this to driving down a highway.. some breeze through, some are stuck in slow traffic and others are involved in an accident... same highway with different experiences at different times. Unless you were there others just refuse to believe an experience different from their own.

Then again, sometimes the story changes and it's difficult to discern what the problem really is.

I know I said I was done responding - and maybe I should be, but you are twisting my words and taking them out of context. If you will look back at what you are quoting, it was written the night we were in St. Lucia - that particular SoCa cruise went thusly: Embark - Sea Day - Barbados - St. Lucia - Antigua - St. Martin - St. Thomas - Disembark. That cruise, we ate in Blu four out of the 7 nights - twice in Qsine - once in Bistro on 5. The second formal night (St. Martin) was the night we got so fed up with the chaos that we opted not to return. It was not just about the loud, large group - but that was a part of it. It was that Blu was not relaxing or inviting, so we opted out.

I still fail to understand why it is so important for you to prove me wrong - or deceptive - I am neither. I was frustrated when I wrote the post you quoted - frustrated that something I enjoyed so much the previous year was not as enjoyable last year. But it was not a summary post of the cruise - it was a summary of that particular day and you used those words out of context, for what reason I remain unclear. I think if you met me on a ship, you would probably find me good company - maybe might even enjoy me. I know that you would not flame me in this manner, but such is the pitfall of digital communication.

I'm not flaming you and have not "used" your words at all. I just copied them word for word. Is it possible at all that the story about the people at the table for 8 might just have been embellished a bit? I read your complete review on the other thread at the time you wrote it and that's why I was surprised at what you said here. If I'm mistaken, please accept my apology.

Then again, maybe some of us have experienced some real problems on a cruise and find it difficult to relate to some minor inconvenience.

I'm not flaming you and have not "used" your words at all. I just copied them word for word. Is it possible at all that the story about the people at the table for 8 might just have been embellished a bit? I read your complete review on the other thread at the time you wrote it and that's why I was surprised at what you said here. If I'm mistaken, please accept my apology.

you are mistaken - and I will accept your apology - two different nights - same cruise.... I never finished writing the review for that cruise because life intervened and because, frankly, it got worse and I just don't like to be that person who complains about everything. As I said before, it didn't ruin the cruise, but it colored my future choices. Our night in Bistro was more relaxing than Blu ever was.

At the time I was irritated - as months have passed, I am more troubled, because, as I stated, my husband and I have precious little vacation time and even less disposable income, and very high stress jobs. We make every choice count and I research the heck out of anything before we do it. It was so disappointing last year - especially after several more nights (and worse) than what you quoted. I am seriously considering changing our booking to the 14 night eclipse sailing out of Miami - but I like warm right away and am in love with San Juan, so that's not likely. Also considering switching to an RCCL ship, but I hate smoke so also not likely.

At this point, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they have things worked out.... even just to the point where we can wait in Cellar Masters rather than in line. We literally tried everything we could think of over those four nights to make it work - came early (615) - late (815) - when we preferred (7 to 730) - it was always chaos - mass chaos - not relaxing at all. The food was generally excellent and the service, once seated, was also excellent. But the atmosphere was not relaxing at all.

Archived