Suite Psgr - Problem dining in BLU

sjh422

... but NO maître d should ever be rude to any passenger, period. If they cannot be seated due to space - fine - it should be handled politely. If they show up every day at the time that the maître d told them then they should be welcomed with the same attitude as any other guest - aqua or not.

For some people, being told "No" would be looked at as rudeness, no matter how nicely it was said. I have seen my share of people who believe they should get whatever they want, and are annoyed, if not angry, when they don't get it.

For some people, being told "No" would be looked at as rudeness, no matter how nicely it was said. I have seen my share of people who believe they should get whatever they want, and are annoyed, if not angry, when they don't get it.

I don't know the OP so I can't say if this was the case but it doesn't sound like it was and yes there are people like that - anything less than what they want, they would think is rude. The OP states though that even showing up at the time that the maître d told them too - that he still had a bad attitude - THAT is unprofessional and uncalled for.

What's sad about your story is that you were forced into a lower grade of accommodation just so you could dine in BLU. One would think X's management would work harder to retain high value customers regardless of dining. There is a solution, now why they choose not to avail themselves fleet wide is a mystery beyond my pay grade! Lol

It is not sad, what many of you do not understand is that Blu and Aqua was not set up based upon how much you pay for your cruise, it was set up for the spa and healthier life style. That is the way it has been from the beginning, it is not one of the perks of suites.

I do agree that the Maitre'd was out of line.

It is not sad, what many of you do not understand is that Blu and Aqua was not set up based upon how much you pay for your cruise, it was set up for the spa and healthier life style. That is the way it has been from the beginning, it is not one of the perks of suites.

I do agree that the Maitre'd was out of line.

Just received my copy of Celebrity's Exotics 2013/2014 Cruises & Tours book. Page 7 states "Dining in Blu is complimentary for guests staying in Aqua Class staterooms and suites. For those guests traveling in suites, seating in Blu is offered on a space-available basis only, with a recommended gratuity of $5 per person." So I must disagree - it is being offered as a suite "perk" with the disclaimer that it is only available if there is space.

Just received my copy of Celebrity's Exotics 2013/2014 Cruises & Tours book. Page 7 states "Dining in Blu is complimentary for guests staying in Aqua Class staterooms and suites. For those guests traveling in suites, seating in Blu is offered on a space-available basis only, with a recommended gratuity of $5 per person." So I must disagree - it is being offered as a suite "perk" with the disclaimer that it is only available if there is space.

To clarify: there are AQ staterooms AND AQ suites. It is only the AQ suites that have complimentary access, not the non-AQ suites which are on a space available status.

You are not reading that correctly. There are AQ staterooms AND AQ suites. It is only the AQ suites that have access, not the non-AQ suites.

Aqua suite guests may eat in blu every night at any time. All other suite guests are offered eating in Blu, when space is available, with a suggested $5 gratuity.

On most sailings those in PS or RS are afforded "aqua suite" privileges as far as dining in Blu. CS and SS are almost always "as available"

Yes, it is a suite perk, but only if there is space available. Those who are not in aqua or a suite are not permitted to dine in Blu at all.

To clarify: there are AQ staterooms AND AQ suites. It is only the AQ suites that have complimentary access, not the non-AQ suites which are on a space available status.

Correct - there are AQ staterooms and AQ suites - both of which have Blu as their dining room. The statement in the X book then says "For those guests traveling in suites (meaning non AQ), seating in Blu is offered on a space - available basis only, with a recommended gratuity. " Sounds like a perk to me.

Correct - there are AQ staterooms and AQ suites - both of which have Blu as their dining room. The statement in the X book then says "For those guests traveling in suites (meaning non AQ), seating in Blu is offered on a space - available basis only, with a recommended gratuity. " Sounds like a perk to me.

It is a "MAYBE" perk, NOT a guaranteed perk, as the "space available" statement would indicate!!!!!

Yup...unfortuntely all too true!!!:rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure it applies in this particular case. What I read was that, after being told that reservations must be made for any future seatings in Blu, the OP attempted to comply with the maitre d's instuctions. Before returning to Blu, the OP tried directly (and indirectly, through the GR desk) to contact someone in Blu for a reservation. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would be annoyed (and maybe even a little angry) for being put in a "no win" situation. Especially since the maitre d stated that he was the absolute authority on who did or did not get seated in Blu.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure it applies in this particular case. What I read was that, after being told that reservations must be made for any future seatings in Blu, the OP attempted to comply with the maitre d's instuctions. Before returning to Blu, the OP tried directly (and indirectly, through the GR desk) to contact someone in Blu for a reservation. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would be annoyed (and maybe even a little angry) for being put in a "no win" situation. Especially since the maitre d stated that he was the absolute authority on who did or did not get seated in Blu.

I don't think any of us are saying that it was handled well.....it wasn't.

We were just commenting that asking a suite passenger to "book ahead" so to speak is reasonable given that the maitre d' has to figure out how to seat aqua class passengers when they arrive and see if he has space available to fulfill the request.

Does anyone else just not understand the attitude expressed by some here? Why is it that people need to take away from someone else - to feel special about themselves? Why does it gall AQ guests that Suite guests are allowed to dine in Blu (on a space permitting basis, with a suggested gratuity - suggested not a charge which makes it complimentary)? Are they taking something from you, ruining your experience in any way? Because suite guests are allowed in Blu space permitting - should they have to be subjected to a rude maître d? I think not.

Then we have the Penthouse guests who would like to claim that a Sky Suite isn't a suite - lol. Hate to tell you but aren't the rest of us glad that Celebrity gets to define what is a suite or not. This just brings to mind what my mother always said "money can't buy class" and no I'm not talking about cabin accommodations. :eek:

People need to lighten up and stop trying to rain on others parade. :D

My only interest is that everyone understand Celebrity's policy and not just throw out loose terms like "suite guests can eat in blu" because that's misleading. As far as the difference between the suites, the only observation there is that the policy doesn't change, but the hotel director on board the ship sometimes offers blu anytime to PS and RS suites....the HD is making that decision, not us. Again, when someone in an RS says we ate in blu any time, it's misleading because they often don't even say they were in a RS. Whether the $5 is optional or not is up to you...and doesn't indicate that eating in blu is or isn't a perk....and hopefully, as a suite guest whose tips are automatically going to the MDR will recognize the efforts of the blu service team and leave the (extra) $5.

All of that is independent of the temperament of the maitre d' and how he handles suite guests organizationally. Everyone agrees that he didn't handle it very well on an interpersonal level.

I don't think it is rude for an AQ passenger to feel that they have the "head of the line" privileges over suite guests in Blu. There have been a number of threads over the past months complaining that Blu has been overcrowded at times. I would like to think that if I have to wait, it is because others in AQ are dining, not large numbers of suite guests. I paid for the privilege of Blu, suite guests paid for more space, butler service and complimentary meals in the specialty restaurants. A simple call to their butler should get them a reservation in Blu, if there is space.

I don't think it is rude for an AQ passenger to feel that they have the "head of the line" privileges over suite guests in Blu. There have been a number of threads over the past months complaining that Blu has been overcrowded at times. I would like to think that if I have to wait, it is because others in AQ are dining, not large numbers of suite guests. I paid for the privilege of Blu, suite guests paid for more space, butler service and complimentary meals in the specialty restaurants. A simple call to their butler should get them a reservation in Blu, if there is space.

You have made a valid point. That tables may be empty is no indication of how busy Blu may become in a short time. We need to assume that the maitre d' has a good understanding of how quickly it will fill up, and perhaps to be cautious, will say no to suites guests if he feels they may interrupt the availability for AQ guests. If he allows suite guests to occupy those empty tables at 6:30, what happens when AQ guests arrive at 7:00 and have no tables available? To make AQ guests wait while suite guests take a leisurely dinner is unfair to the AQ guests since it is they who have already paid for the privilege of dining in Blu, not the suite guests.

If tables are empty but suite guests are still turned away, there probably is a valid reason and the suite guests should not be second guessing the maitre d'.

I also question that the maitre d' became "belligerent", as the OP claims. That is a pretty strong word to use and typically describes someone who is very aggressive or wants to pick a fight.

Does anyone else just not understand the attitude expressed by some here? Why is it that people need to take away from someone else - to feel special about themselves? Why does it gall AQ guests that Suite guests are allowed to dine in Blu (on a space permitting basis, with a suggested gratuity - suggested not a charge which makes it complimentary)? Are they taking something from you, ruining your experience in any way? Because suite guests are allowed in Blu space permitting - should they have to be subjected to a rude maître d? I think not.

Then we have the Penthouse guests who would like to claim that a Sky Suite isn't a suite - lol. Hate to tell you but aren't the rest of us glad that Celebrity gets to define what is a suite or not. This just brings to mind what my mother always said "money can't buy class" and no I'm not talking about cabin accommodations. :eek:

AMEN!. And GHStudio, I think there was another post in particular that was not yours about classes of suite guest that I found pretty snobby, that I bet rubbed Jane the wrong way as well.

That is not the point of my post, I was expressing to those who can't understand why they pay more and can't eat in Blu that it is not something based on what you pay. It is the same mentality for those in suites who think they are entitled to attend the elite functions, an entitlement mentality. This has been expressed in this thread and other threads before. I am well aware what it says in the booklet and the web site but that was only extraneous to my point.

Doesn't gall me at all since I was one of those "suite" guests on Equinox but I do acknowledge that Blu was established for Aqua guests and I considered myself lucky to be able to dine there when there was space available. Idid not think it was something I was entitled to....

But, no, nobody should have to be subject to a rude Maitre 'd in Blu or anywhere...

Just curious -- but what did the maitre d say when you told him that you (and the GR desk) had called Blu for reservations, and nobody answered? Did he offer an alternate phone number, or specify a time to call for reservations? :confused:

BTW -- We've never encountered a belligerent maitre d on X -- but, we did on our last RC cruise (a specialty restaurant manager, actually). I insisted on getting his card, and made sure to spell his name correctly in my post-cruise letter to Corporate -- and, we did get results.

I am wondering if Guest Relations said something to the Maitre D for as soon as we gave him our room number that day, he very hurriedly seated us. That is why we never even tried to make reservations for the rest of the cruise, we just showed up usually at 6pm.

Bravo!!

That is not the point of my post, I was expressing to those who can't understand why they pay more and can't eat in Blu that it is not something based on what you pay. It is the same mentality for those in suites who think they are entitled to attend the elite functions, an entitlement mentality. This has been expressed in this thread and other threads before. I am well aware what it says in the booklet and the web site but that was only extraneous to my point.

Don - I appreciate your comments and my last comment was not directed at you. I'd like to add that I have never eaten in Blu or sailed in a suite - yet. I am not suggesting that AQ guests should ever take a back seat to a suite guest in Blu , all I'm saying is that it is an offered perk to those guests in non AQ suites - IF space is permitting. I will say that when I'm in my S1 this Feb., it is my intention to try Blu, WHEN they can accommodate me. I'll be stopping to speak to the maître d in the early days to see when it MIGHT be possible. I expect that as a possible future AQ guest - that my request will be dealt with in a friendly and welcoming manner.

I am wondering if Guest Relations said something to the Maitre D for as soon as we gave him our room number that day, he very hurriedly seated us. That is why we never even tried to make reservations for the rest of the cruise, we just showed up usually at 6pm.

Sounds like you found yourself in the middle of a case of the left hand not knowing what the right was doing! Still -- absolutely no excuse for rudeness on the part of the maitre d. Several posters have brought up a very good suggestion, for future reference -- let your butler handle it. We've never dined in Blu, although I would like to try it sometime. On the occasions when we've stayed in a sky suite, our butlers have always offered to get us reservations in the specialty restaurants or Blue -- they just need a little advance notice.

Perhaps Celebrity needs to offer more information for suite guests wanting to dine in Blu. Besides saying that suite guests are welcome upon availability, they should also say that reservations may be required. We were very perplexed when we saw plenty of tables available but were told reservations were necessary.

Another post stated that a suite guest's gratuities go to the main dining room, however, we checked on that and found that Blu takes the suite guest's room number and thus receives the dining gratuities.

Don - I appreciate your comments and my last comment was not directed at you. I'd like to add that I have never eaten in Blu or sailed in a suite - yet. I am not suggesting that AQ guests should ever take a back seat to a suite guest in Blu , all I'm saying is that it is an offered perk to those guests in non AQ suites - IF space is permitting. I will say that when I'm in my S1 this Feb., it is my intention to try Blu, WHEN they can accommodate me. I'll be stopping to speak to the maître d in the early days to see when it MIGHT be possible. I expect that as a possible future AQ guest - that my request will be dealt with in a friendly and welcoming manner.

They should treat you with respect and you are doing the wise thing, going to the Maitre'd and seeing what the procedure is for your particular cruise. I hope you don't experience the problem the OP had however my dealings in Blu have always been positive.

Archived