Suite Psgr - Problem dining in BLU

sjh422

Maybe a change to a different itinerary will help. It seems that the most complaints I've ever seen on Cruise Critic are on cruises leaving from San Juan.

I will say, I've had similar experiences, especially when they first started Select Dining, but it is just something I can roll with.

I'll tell you a story about a really bad experience and then maybe you'll understand why I don't get flustered by the small things. My husband and I were on a cruise for our 25th anniversary, years ago. He had been ill with what was diagnosed as Valley Fever but was being treated and the doctor assured us it was fine for us to take the cruise. It began when we checked into our hotel the day before and went down to check in for the cruise. In those days Princess would check you in at the hotel. Don't know if they still do because we haven't sailed with them for years. At any rate, while we were checking in someone broke into our hotel room and stole my overnight bag with all my jewelry and cosmetics. They did find the bag in another room down the hall, with the jewelry missing. I was glad to get my cosmetics and hair dryer back.

While in Cozumel, near the end of the cruise, my husband began coughing up blood. I got him in a taxi and we got back to the ship. They wanted us to get off in Cozumel and we weren't going to do that because in those days there weren't any good options there. We signed a release and stayed on the ship for 36 hours sailing back to Ft. Lauderdale. The doctor was great and I stayed awake watching him for 36 hours to make sure he didn't hemorrhage.

When we got to Ft. Lauderdale, we went to the hospital by ambulance where he was diagnosed with Tuberculosis and was put in quarantine for 10 days. I checked into a hotel and during that first night the hurricane came and blew the windows out in the hotel. They came with a flashlight to get me out of the room. Needless to say it was quite an experience, and he was on his back for almost a year after that. We also had to make sure that everyone on the plane, in the hotel and on the ship were informed that he had TB as well as all our friends and relatives, so they could all be tested.

I guess that's why irritating experiences on a ship don't really get to me much

Maybe a change to a different itinerary will help. It seems that the most complaints I've ever seen on Cruise Critic are on cruises leaving from San Juan.

I love San Juan and the SoCa... like I said before - if it's not better, we'll either step up to a suite and get more room for more dollars or down to a standard balcony and use the savings on specialty restaurants... either way, I'm not ready to say uncle just yet...

I think the problem here is that some of us, far from being Blu cheerleaders, become concerned when complaints are made about other people's sense of entitlement. This poster seems to say that a large group thought they were special, but what she described the first several posts was something that could happen for a number of reasons: the large group didn't wait in a line because they'd already waited in line once to make arrangements, and now were enjoying the benefit of making those arrangements ahead of time. Giggling and laughing? Hope they were having a good time! We did just this on Summit 6 months ago in the Caribbean.

Was there chaos? Likely, according to several who've posted here. Was it the fault of the large group? No, but the poster chose to blame them for her delay. Were they in suites? Who knows? I doubt the poster did, else it would have been brought up 5 times by now. When we "waltzed in like we owned the place," it was actually to get out of the way- - we knew our table, knew the waiters, saw our wine waiting for us, and chose to save the maitre d' time by not having to greet us, and speeding up the process for others still in line. But you wouldn't know all of that by looking at us...we were probably "happy" from cocktails, telling jokes, and yes, someone might have even unthinkingly said "Oh, look at the line -glad we don't have wait!". And I'm sure we giggled about jokes we were telling, too. And I did probably shush our group, but not because I was embarrassed by having made prior arrangements and skipping the line.

The real point is that, if you let yourself, you can make yourself miserable ascribing motives to others' actions, and I think that's a little bit of what went on here for the poster about this large group...fortunately, as she posted, it didn't ruin her cruise. When all is said and done, I WANT her to have a great experience, and am sorry the chaos didn't give her the experience she wanted. I'm just not convinced that the table of 8 was the problem.:)

Andrew

. I am seriously considering changing our booking to the 14 night eclipse sailing out of Miami - but I like warm right away and am in love with San Juan, so that's not likely. Also considering switching to an RCCL ship, but I hate smoke so also not likely. .

I live in Florida and while, yes, there is the occasional cold front that comes through, even if you were to arrive during one of those you will find that within the first night of sailing you will be in warm temps....I know this as I sail from Florida most of the time......IF you have not cruised on an "S" class ship in Aqua I HIGHLY recommend you try this alternative....the ships are wonderful and Blu, well these are the ships where Blu originated and I've never, in 5 sailings, experienced anything like you described. Just a thought...happy sailing whatever you choose!!:)

This thread reminds me of a quote from George Orwell's Animal Farm

"all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others"

I have never eaten in Blu, or sailed out of San Juan, and I don't usually follow threads about things I have neither experienced nor expect to experience. However I find myself reading this one with a sort of morbid fascination to see what will be written next. It is up there with dress code and tipping for the strong feelings it has engendered. I can't even remember how I came to open the thread in the first place, probably a misclick, but now I am hooked!

I will say, I've had similar experiences, especially when they first started Select Dining, but it is just something I can roll with.

I'll tell you a story about a really bad experience and then maybe you'll understand why I don't get flustered by the small things. My husband and I were on a cruise for our 25th anniversary, years ago. He had been ill with what was diagnosed as Valley Fever but was being treated and the doctor assured us it was fine for us to take the cruise. It began when we checked into our hotel the day before and went down to check in for the cruise. In those days Princess would check you in at the hotel. Don't know if they still do because we haven't sailed with them for years. At any rate, while we were checking in someone broke into our hotel room and stole my overnight bag with all my jewelry and cosmetics. They did find the bag in another room down the hall, with the jewelry missing. I was glad to get my cosmetics and hair dryer back.

While in Cozumel, near the end of the cruise, my husband began coughing up blood. I got him in a taxi and we got back to the ship. They wanted us to get off in Cozumel and we weren't going to do that because in those days there weren't any good options there. We signed a release and stayed on the ship for 36 hours sailing back to Ft. Lauderdale. The doctor was great and I stayed awake watching him for 36 hours to make sure he didn't hemorrhage.

When we got to Ft. Lauderdale, we went to the hospital by ambulance where he was diagnosed with Tuberculosis and was put in quarantine for 10 days. I checked into a hotel and during that first night the hurricane came and blew the windows out in the hotel. They came with a flashlight to get me out of the room. Needless to say it was quite an experience, and he was on his back for almost a year after that. We also had to make sure that everyone on the plane, in the hotel and on the ship were informed that he had TB as well as all our friends and relatives, so they could all be tested.

I guess that's why irritating experiences on a ship don't really get to me much

Did you have any concerns for your fellow passage staying on board with a sometime lethal infectious disease.After the ship Dr asked you to leave?

We didn't know he had an infectious disease until we got to Ft. Lauderdale. He had been diagnosed with Valley Fever which is not communicable and was being treated. The doctor at home misdiagnosed him. Of course we were very concerned after that and that's why we made sure everywhere we had been was informed.

Did you have any concerns for your fellow passage staying on board with a sometime lethal infectious disease.After the ship Dr asked you to leave?

Ahhhhhh, our Cruise Critic friends are soooooooooo empathetic.

Ma Bell, that is a crazy, awful story. So glad he recovered and all is well!!

?.... It used to be that most of the discussions here were positive, now it seems the opposite is true.

I tend to agree with you. However, I started thinking that perhaps it's not the posters who have changed. It could just be that maybe, just maybe, that due to the reported reductions in staff, the new ships necessitating the hiring of a large number of new crew members, that Celebrity is slipping. There seems to be more & more long time Celebrity cruisers reporting a lack of "attention to detail" which is alarming. Most seem to still very much enjoy their experience, but feel that the special something is missing. I certainly hope that I am wrong.

There seems to be more & more long time Celebrity cruisers reporting a lack of "attention to detail" which is alarming. Most seem to still very much enjoy their experience, but feel that the special something is missing.

You took the words right out of my complaint... ;)

I tend to agree with you. However, I started thinking that perhaps it's not the posters who have changed. It could just be that maybe, just maybe, that due to the reported reductions in staff, the new ships necessitating the hiring of a large number of new crew members, that Celebrity is slipping. There seems to be more & more long time Celebrity cruisers reporting a lack of "attention to detail" which is alarming. Most seem to still very much enjoy their experience, but feel that the special something is missing. I certainly hope that I am wrong.

You make a good point as usual Rich.

Then again, maybe some of us have experienced some real problems on a cruise and find it difficult to relate to some minor inconvenience.

Real problems such as the ordeal you and your husband went through certainly put all these minor issues into perspective. I've never had anything happen to me on a cruise which was really worth getting too upset about and most of the complaints I see here are fairly minor.

Nevertheless I see no problem with people getting on here and venting. Just because their issues might be petty doesn't mean they aren't real and important to them. Too often people are personally attacked and their credibility questioned just because they complain loudly about something that others consider silly.

I can see why people get annoyed about these complaints but if everyone addressed and criticised the substance of the complaint rather than the complainer then these threads would be far more reasonable.

Real problems such as the ordeal you and your husband went through certainly put all these minor issues into perspective. I've never had anything happen to me on a cruise which was really worth getting too upset about and most of the complaints I see here are fairly minor.

Nevertheless I see no problem with people getting on here and venting. Just because their issues might be petty doesn't mean they aren't real and important to them. Too often people are personally attacked and their credibility questioned just because they complain loudly about something that others consider silly.

I can see why people get annoyed about these complaints but if everyone addressed and criticised the substance of the complaint rather than the complainer then these threads would be far more reasonable.

I absolutely agree with that.

Agree too.

This Thread is a great example of the changes on Cruise Critic over the past few years.

I do think there are more who are looking for opportunities to jump on those who they perceive as bashing "their" cruise line.

It used to be a poster could provide their less than positive experience, sometimes suggesting options for improvement, sometimes not, and their experiences were acknowledged respectfully.

In so many threads now, and this is across all cruise lines, I'm seeing the O.P.'s experiences discounted simply because "It Didn't Happen To ME" or "My Experience Was So Much Worse Than Yours, But I Made Lemonade Out of Lemons."

This Forum is not nearly as helpful as it was in the past, and because of this I no longer recommend Cruise Critic as a source of information to people interested in cruising.

A shame really, but some seem to have taken over the Boards and opinions or experiences that don't meet their requirements are ridiculed.

Well, I have been on CC a while, but I think there are still some very nice and helpful folks on here. Even as hard headed as I am, I still learn something now and then. :)

Well put!

This Thread is a great example of the changes on Cruise Critic over the past few years.

I do think there are more who are looking for opportunities to jump on those who they perceive as bashing "their" cruise line...............

I couldn't agree more.

Even more noticable for me, it's sometimes a struggle to cut through some of the "no, you just can't do that, no not unless you are Elite/Diamond/Azur/Masonic/Special Handshake level, I know someone says that was possible but they were defying the laws of physics, I'm right you're wrong" sort of negativity.

But if you really want to get flamed, hop over to the Cunard forum and mention that QM2 is just a big ship, not the world's one and only proper ocean liner, and it isn't the ultimate experience at sea. I guarantee, you won't get out alive. :rolleyes:

Well, I have been on CC a while, but I think there are still some very nice and helpful folks on here. Even as hard headed as I am, I still learn something now and then. :)

...a sane voice emerges. Thanks Texed:)!

Archived