US Customs and shipboard jewelry purchases

BlueRiband

59 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I

f that was directed at me?  I do not buy cigarettes.

LOL, Ironically that might be the one big bargain.  But it is more about State taxes then duty (there is no Duty on US cigarettes I the USA).  Personally I quit smoking in 1972 when it became obvious that one had to be an addict or idiot to smoke.  But when I was in the Air Force in the late 60s - early 70s the government used to actually subsidize cigarettes for those of us in the service.  At one time I was paying $1 a carton at the NCO club.  When I got out of the service and returned to college I was shocked to pay nearly 50 cents a pack.  That was about the time I quit because the health ramifications were overwhelming.   Now, as a senior, I see the impact on many of my fellow seniors as they deal with COPD, need O2, etc.   One friend (who is on Oxygen) said to me that "he earned his COPD" and does not complain about everyday being agony.

Hank

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

LOL, Ironically that might be the one big bargain.  But it is more about State taxes then duty (there is no Duty on US cigarettes I the USA).  Personally I quit smoking in 1972 when it became obvious that one had to be an addict or idiot to smoke.  But when I was in the Air Force in the late 60s - early 70s the government used to actually subsidize cigarettes for those of us in the service.  At one time I was paying $1 a carton at the NCO club.  When I got out of the service and returned to college I was shocked to pay nearly 50 cents a pack.  That was about the time I quit because the health ramifications were overwhelming.   Now, as a senior, I see the impact on many of my fellow seniors as they deal with COPD, need O2, etc.   One friend (who is on Oxygen) said to me that "he earned his COPD" and does not complain about everyday being agony.

Hank

I don't know that subsidizing is the right word. I am also a former smoker but in my Navy days smoked a lot (result= heart attack at age 48 and lung cancer at age 58, even though the heart attack caused me to quit). Cigarettes sold on base were sold sans state tax. Cigarettes sold in the ship's store when we were in international waters were sold sans federal tax. In 1992 when I got out I could buy a carton of generic cigarettes in international waters for $3.25 a carton and name brands were in the $9 range.

In any event I do agree with your comments about duty free. Being an informed consumer is the best thing to be in order to save money. 

USVI is a US territory

items purchased in USVI by US folks is an item purchased in the US, not outside the US .... or am I mistaken?

I STAND CORRECTED:

Q: We recently returned from a trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands. Why did we have to go through Customs to board our return flight when we never left U.S. territory?

-- Denise Ruthenberg, Mentor

A: To answer Ruthenberg's question, I contacted U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Public affairs officer Jeffrey Quinones provided some history:

"What is seldom known is that the U.S. Virgin Islands is outside what is called 'Customs territory.' Since the acquisition of the Virgin Islands by the U.S. from Denmark [in 1916], by treaty, customs fees are assessed using local law.

When traveling to one of the U.S. insular possessions, such as the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa or Guam, you are required to clear Customs and Border Protection and are entitled to a $1,600 duty-free exemption, as long as you are there for 48 hours or more."

but this is why it is IMPORTANT to keep receipts readily accessible to prove purchases .. a cruise typically only does Customs once (it would clear immigration in USVI if visiting mid trip)

37 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

. a cruise typically only does Customs once (it would clear immigration in USVI if visiting mid trip)

As I explained back in post #71, replying to your last post, that this is no longer true and hasn't been for several years. As best I can tell if your cruise only visited WHTI countries you no longer clear immigration in the USVI. We have taken several cruises in recent years, including one earlier this month where we did not clear immigration in St. Thomas, but instead cleared immigration at disembarkation in NY.

On 5/27/2013 at 9:46 AM, BlueRiband said:

It can make a huge difference between a flat duty of 3% or if the item falls under "301 Authority" where the duty is 100%. In the later case it would and up costing more to buy an item abroad or on board than to buy it in the US.

Out of curiosity, I checked the GBP web site and found the following blurb:

" While most of the products listed are not the type of goods that travelers would purchase in sufficient quantities to exceed their exemption, diamonds from the Ukraine are subject to the 100 percent duty and might easily exceed the exemption amount. "

For example, there is talk of 100% tariff of French wine, cheese, and handbags to counter their tax on "digital" companies  like Google. But it sounds like this is foe bulk imports, not personal use imports.

Aloha,

John