US Customs and shipboard jewelry purchases

BlueRiband

Well, duh, i did have to go through US Customs when I landed at LAX, so it most certainly is relevant.

Do you understand what you wrote? "When I was on a Princess cruise in French Polynesia, I received no such letter." Last I checked French Polynesia isn't part of the US, and you didn't enter the US at LAX by cruise ship now did you (unless the cruise ship managed to sprout wings and fly :rolleyes:).

The thread is about customs procedures upon a cruise ship's arrival in the US.

Do you understand what you wrote? "When I was on a Princess cruise in French Polynesia, I received no such letter." Last I checked French Polynesia isn't part of the US, and you didn't enter the US at LAX by cruise ship now did you (unless the cruise ship managed to sprout wings and fly :rolleyes:).

The thread is about customs procedures upon a cruise ship's arrival in the US.

Really? Please show me where the OP made that statement or the person I responded to. Neither said that. The comment was made that all ships provide the information to customs, and that is not true in all cases. Princess knew how I was returning to the US and gave me, and any other US citizens, US Customs forms while on the ship. I bought jewelry on the ship and Princess did not report it.

IMHO "Duty Free Shop" is only the name of the shop.

As posted above it may imply that what they are selling, no duty has been paid, hence cheaper to you to buy.

For all practical purposes anything purchased outside of the US that is not of US origin is subject to duty above the personal exemption, etc. etc.

There are some purchases which though they must be reported, they are not subject to duty.

One example is unset precious gemstone. If you purchase a diamond, ruby, sapphire or emerald and bring the lose stone into U.S., you will not pay duty. If you have that stone set in a ring or other jewelry piece, it would be eligible to have duty attach. And no...... you cannot bring the setting separate and then set the stone at home. I suppose you could have the setting shipped but then that would be subject to duty when it entered.

Really? Please show me where the OP made that statement or the person I responded to. Neither said that. The comment was made that all ships provide the information to customs, and that is not true in all cases. Princess knew how I was returning to the US and gave me, and any other US citizens, US Customs forms while on the ship. I bought jewelry on the ship and Princess did not report it.

Since you can't figure that out on your own by reading the thread, then I'm not wasting any more time trying to explain it to you.

US Customs has no authority to force cruise lines to provide any information if a ship isn't making port in the US.

Edited by njhorseman

ALso be careful of buying cigarettes! I saw a very good price on a carton of cigarettes in the "duty free" shop on board. I bought them for my DD. When I went thru the customs line the agent asked me what I bought and I told him. Heck it was on my form. He put a large red magic marker on my form and took both my and dh's passport and told me to report to customs on shore. I asked him why and he wouldn't respond.

When I got on shore the agent had me pull out the carton from my carry-on (luckly I had not packed it in my suitcase) and proceded to give me a lecture about buying cigarettes and how I could not bring them into the US. He then ripped open the carton and pulled out a pack. Sure enough on the pack themselves it did say not for use in the US. I had no idea as I don't smoke and it didn't say it on the carton itself. He called the ship, got the manager of the shops down off the ship, made the manager take the carton back to the ship, issue me a credit on my onboard statement and bring the statement back to him to see before he would release me and hand over my passports.

I can tell you it was very scary. I really thought I was going to Jail! I just stood there in the customs area with the other people (some already in handcuffs) waiting for the Manager of the shops to come down. As soon as the Manager came, about 45 minutes later, the agent gave me the passports and I was out of there like a shot. Also while this was going on DH had gone with our luggage out of the customs doors to help load the luggage into the taxi. My sis and bil said they would take our luggage until we got whatever straightened out. By going out the doors of customs DH was then bared from returning to the area. He stood outside and kept calling me on my cell phone to get updates.

When I got outside with passports in hand dh kept asking what was going on and I just told him to "shut up" and get into the next cab available. Once inside the cab I explained what happened.

When we got to our hotel we went to the bar for a drink!

So be very careful about buying cigarettes outside the US.

Edited by Hflors

ALso be careful of buying cigarettes! I saw a very good price on a carton of cigarettes in the "duty free" shop on board. I bought them for my DD. When I went thru the customs line the agent asked me what I bought and I told him. Heck it was on my form. He put a large red magic marker on my form and took both my and dh's passport and told me to report to customs on shore. I asked him why and he wouldn't respond.

When I got on shore the agent had me pull out the carton from my carry-on (luckly I had not packed it in my suitcase) and proceded to give me a lecture about buying cigarettes and how I could not bring them into the US. He then ripped open the carton and pulled out a pack. Sure enough on the pack themselves it did say not for use in the US. I had no idea as I don't smoke and it didn't say it on the carton itself. He called the ship, got the manager of the shops down off the ship, made the manager take the carton back to the ship, issue me a credit on my onboard statement and bring the statement back to him to see before he would release me and hand over my passports.

I can tell you it was very scary. I really thought I was going to Jail! I just stood there in the customs area with the other people (some already in handcuffs) waiting for the Manager of the shops to come down. As soon as the Manager came, about 45 minutes later, the agent gave me the passports and I was out of there like a shot. Also while this was going on DH had gone with our luggage out of the customs doors to help load the luggage into the taxi. My sis and bil said they would take our luggage until we got whatever straightened out. By going out the doors of customs DH was then bared from returning to the area. He stood outside and kept calling me on my cell phone to get updates.

When I got outside with passports in hand dh kept asking what was going on and I just told him to "shut up" and get into the next cab available. Once inside the cab I explained what happened.

That was certainly a scary experience.

We don't buy muc and do list our purchases on the customs form. However, I'm confused. I know that we can bring back $800 in personal purchases from the ship and/or ports. However, if we buy in a duty free shop, then why would we pay duty? Can someone please explain?

thanks,

Debbi

"Duty Free" means that it is free from export duty. When you bring those goods into the US you are importing them and may need to pay an import duty.

When I started this thread - about bringing jewelry into a US port - I wasn't expecting responses regarding arrival in French Polynesia or importation of cigarettes. (But that information may be useful to other readers.)

My main concern was the amount of duty levied on jewelery being brought into a US port from a ship which sells European merchandise.

The simple and best answer appears to be: don't. Any money saved is cancelled out in duty charges and extra hassle upon arrival.

When I started this thread - about bringing jewelry into a US port - I wasn't expecting responses regarding arrival in French Polynesia or importation of cigarettes. (But that information may be useful to other readers.)

My main concern was the amount of duty levied on jewelery being brought into a US port from a ship which sells European merchandise.

The simple and best answer appears to be: don't. Any money saved is cancelled out in duty charges and extra hassle upon arrival.

To me the simple answer is to do your research ahead of time so you know if there will be any savings if you make a purchase outside the USA and if so how much. Also remember that your first 800.00 per person is exempt of duty.

This is not a simple black or white issue. Again, do the research.

Keith

You must have run into an Adolph Schiklegrubber relative. Its perfectly legal to bring back into the US all sorts of cigarettes, they don't have to be made specifically for the US market to bring them back. In fact US made cigerettes that have "US made for export only" have the greatest restriction because you are NOT allowed to bring back more than the duty free allowance(anywhere from 1-5 cartons depending on where you have been), even if you offer to pay the duty on the excess. The ones made outside the US like made in the EU or in the Caribbean have no such restriction. You can bring back as much for your personal use-unless there is a copyright/trademark issue- as long as you pay the duty of $1.10 per pack.

Twice we bought Jewelry from duty free stores in St. Maarten. We claimed the jewelry on our customs forms and did not have to pay. Both times, however, we were well under the limit of $800/person.

"Duty Free" means that it is free from export duty. When you bring those goods into the US you are importing them and may need to pay an import duty.

Yes

To me the simple answer is to do your research ahead of time so you know if there will be any savings if you make a purchase outside the USA and if so how much. Also remember that your first 800.00 per person is exempt of duty.

This is not a simple black or white issue. Again, do the research.

Keith

If you have been in USVI, you get double the duty free exemption as well as some other allowances that you do not get from other countries.

..This is not a simple black or white issue. Again, do the research. Keith

Which is why I asked for some help here but got answers regarding purchases in the Caribbean (does not apply), loose stones (nope), tobacco (no) and landing by aircraft in other exotic countries (arriving in the port of NYC).

Here's what I have been able to figure out from reading the CBP Know Before You Go pamphlet and the Harmonized Tariffs rate. Let's say one buys a $3800 engagement or anniversary ring. The ring was manufactured in the EU and bought on the ship.

Price = $3800 - $800 exemption = $3000 subject to duty

First $1000 over the $800 exemption flat duty at 3% = $30

Remaining $2000 at the Harmonized rate for fine jewelry at 10% = $200

Total duty = $230

Does anyone else arrive at a different amount?

• 1 month later...

If you're traveling with one or more other family members (i.e., spouse, children), it's my understanding that you can pool/cobmine your exemption. So, if you and a spouse travel together, you would have $1600 total (assuming no USVI visit). Thus, you could buy a $1500 ring and still not have to pay US customs duty (assuming the two of you didn't have >$100 of other purchases).

That said, you still might have to visit the "special room" b/c the cruise line reports purchases over a certain amount but doesn't figure out how many are in your party, what other purchases you did or didn't make, etc. If you can demonstrate to US Customs you're below your exemption, you're fine.

For those not coming directly into a US port on a ship, the requirement to declare all purchases and pay duty on those over the exemption still applies when you do finally enter the US by plane or car or whatever.

I personally would not assume that, b/c you aren't coming directly to the US off a ship, US customs doesn't know about your purchase. In this electronic age, I would think it would be pretty easy for US Customs to compare what they were told you spent by the cruise line vs. what you declared upon entry into the US. If they don't match, they might follow up.

I've never heard of this happening but I've never done a survey:D. In any event, it definitely could happen, especially for very expensive purchases or purchases of tobacco products (liquor is harder to "hide" in large quantities). Not to mention that submitting a false customs declaration is a federal crime.

The bottom line is that, if you plan to make a large purchase outside the US and bring that item with you into the US, check with US Customs to understand what you have to declare and what duty (if any) you'll pay. That way, you can factor the cost into the overall cost of your purchase and avoid any hassles (or worse!) with customs.

If you are claiming exemptions added together for various family members, don't they have to reside at the same address?

I am interested why you are so eager to purchase this diamond on the ship? Are you convinced you are going to get a screaming bargain? What has given you such an interest in shopping for a valuable stone someplace where you almost no recourse if you have a problem when you get home? Do you not have any local jewelers where you could shop?

Edited by sail7seas

If you are claiming exemptions added together for various family members, don't they have to reside at the same address?

I am interested why you are so eager to purchase this diamond on the ship? Are you convinced you are going to get a screaming bargain? What has given you such an interest in shopping for a valuable stone someplace where you almost no recourse if you have a problem when you get home? Do you not have any local jewelers where you could shop?

Family members must be traveling together and reside in the same household to combine their exemptions according to 'Know Before You Go'.

Family members must be traveling together and reside in the same household to combine their exemptions according to 'Know Before You Go'.

Thanks for confirming that. :)

Thanks for confirming that. :)

You are welcome. Had to look it up but if I do that enough then I won't have to look it up when it's my turn (yeah, who am I kidding, I'd have to look it up again next week :o).

Here's a combined exemption example....

4 years ago, my wife and I were married on board the Grandeur of the Seas. We bought a CD with all the wedding photos for $1200. We also bought a new water proof camera for $300 onboard. (The camera we had brought was inop.)

The last day of the cruise, I hear my name called. I grabbed all the paper work and head to the "room". I had itemized the camera and the CD, along with a line for $50 for "souveniers".

The Officer asked what I bought; I told him, and that I was with my wife and 2 step-DDs. He said "Thank you" and we were done!

Aloha,

John

Our only advice to jewelry shoppers is that you might want to carefully price-out a product at home....before you go looking on a ship or in places like St Thomas. In many cases, you will find similar (or the same) items at home for less money then abroad....and you will have a US Warranty (and some recourse) if something is not right. When it comes to Diamonds you can price-out GIA graded stones on excellent web sites (like Blue Nile) and then compare with comparable stones abroad. The reality is that an awful lot of jewelry enters the US duty free anyway (such as unset stones and unfinished necklaces) and precious metals such as gold are essentially priced the same worldwide.

The easiest items to check are top brand watches. We have actually done some of our own comparisons on expensive watches and have always found them for less money in the USA... Even the moderate priced famous brand watches (like Seiko and Citizen) are often cheaper in the US. I recently purchased a Seiko Dive Watch in Costco for $30 less then the same watch we saw in St Thomas and St Maarten. And it came with a full Seiko US Warranty.....whereas many Caribbean purchased watches are "grey market" and do not carry a manufacturers warranty.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Has anyone experience in dealing with US Customs regarding shipboard jewelry and/or art purchases? I've downloaded the "Know Before You Go" brochure but it's not clear if duty is charged according to where the item was made or according to the ship's registry. It can make a huge difference between a flat duty of 3% or if the item falls under "301 Authority" where the duty is 100%. In the later case it would and up costing more to buy an item abroad or on board than to buy it in the US.

For jewelry purchases, it depends on where the product was made.

The "301" Authority only applies to certain countries. Currently, the United States has imposed a 100 percent rate of duty on certain products of Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, The Federal Republic of Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the Ukraine. Most of the products listed are not the type of goods that travelers would purchase in sufficient quantities to exceed their exemption.

After your personal allowance, for the next $1000 duty is 3%, then for the remaining duty based on a schedule depending on the type of item. Note that the allowances are multiplied by the number of people (including children) on the customs form declaration.

Art purchases are usually shipped from a warehouse in the US. They do not count as unaccompanied baggage. Unless you carry it with you, the purchase need not be on your customs declaration. Verify the shipping arrangements with the art gallery before you purchase onboard.

Important note... make sure you declare all your jewelry purchases. You can get in serious trouble if you don't and you are caught. On the other hand, if you exceed your allowances, sometimes the customs officer will clear you without charging the duty.

Princess didn't report it because you didn't return to the US on the ship. That's the big difference. If you returned to the US on the ship, it would have been reported, just as another purchase I made during a trans Atlantic crossing to Miami. But when I purchased something on the ship, where I disembarked in Dubai, of course there was no letter because we weren't in the USA. It's not that difficult a thing to comprehend.

Princess didn't report it because you didn't return to the US on the ship. That's the big difference. If you returned to the US on the ship, it would have been reported, just as another purchase I made during a trans Atlantic crossing to Miami. But when I purchased something on the ship, where I disembarked in Dubai, of course there was no letter because we weren't in the USA. It's not that difficult a thing to comprehend.

That's what I've been saying! Someone posted that all ships report it, and I'm saying they don't. It depends on the cruise location, etc. That's not difficult to comprehend.

• 2 years later...

We recently returned from an RCCL cruise out of Galveston. We bought a lot of nice stuff, a watch and jewelry, declared all of it and were ready to pay duty, when we learned CBP only accepts cash and personal checks. We had no checks and not nearly enough cash. The CBP agent was not very helpful - telling me I could go to an ATM in the embarkation terminal, but not telling me I'd need an escort from a customs agent. After a lot of back and forth we finally found a very helpful agent who escorted me to the ATM, and after multiple withdrawals of $200, had the cash to pay the duty.

So beware, you'll need cash or better yet a personal check. I was tempted to tell the first agent I didn't appreciate his lousy attitude, and then realized that's exactly what he wanted me to do. So I wished him a good weekend and we got to the airport on time.

Also I'm certain the cruise ship, the shops, or both report these purchases to customs. Do the right thing and declare - we still saved thousands - and bring a few personal checks!

Edited by heyjoe4
Spelling