US Customs and shipboard jewelry purchases

BlueRiband

Has anyone experience in dealing with US Customs regarding shipboard jewelry and/or art purchases? I've downloaded the "Know Before You Go" brochure but it's not clear if duty is charged according to where the item was made or according to the ship's registry. It can make a huge difference between a flat duty of 3% or if the item falls under "301 Authority" where the duty is 100%. In the later case it would and up costing more to buy an item abroad or on board than to buy it in the US.

Ship board purchases are reported to US Customs long before you have a chance to see a US Customs officer yourself.

You will hear paging and paging on the final day of your cruise for people to report to various locations on the ship. Some of these are for people to pay what they own in duty for major purchases.

Diamonds International and other major shops do the same on the various islands.

Shop at home with local jewelers you know and trust before spending major money on a cruise line or an island shop.

Two related items.

In some cases duty has already been paid by the jewelry shop on the ship and if so they will give you a certificate so you would not have to pay duty so ask about that.

Keep in mind that you do get to bring back $800.00 per person so you can purchase some items.

In general I find you can do as well at home and sometimes better then on the ship or in port but once in awhile you can find something better in port or on the ship. The key is to do your research ahead of time.

Keith

I know for the onboard art purchases, the art comes out of Florida and there is no duty.

For jewelry, it will be assessed duty (unless the duty has already been paid or it was manufactured in the US). Unset, loose stones, however, are exempt from duty, whether purchased onboard or in one of the ports.

Edited by cherylandtk

I purchased a diamond necklace on a Celebrity cruise that was well over the personal exemption. On the night before the cruise was over, I had a letter in my cabin telling me what time I had to report to a certain room on the ship to clear my Customs fees. I was amazed by how many people were in line for this, mostly because they had purchased over the limit for cigarettes and liquor. But, yes, you will be made to report to Customs if your purchases for jewelry on the ship is over $800.

I purchased a diamond necklace on a Celebrity cruise that was well over the personal exemption. On the night before the cruise was over, I had a letter in my cabin telling me what time I had to report to a certain room on the ship to clear my Customs fees. I was amazed by how many people were in line for this, mostly because they had purchased over the limit for cigarettes and liquor. But, yes, you will be made to report to Customs if your purchases for jewelry on the ship is over $800.

That's not an absolute. When I was on a Princess cruise in French Polynesia, I received no such letter. I booked my own airfare to Tahiti, so that may have been the reason.

... But, yes, you will be made to report to Customs if your purchases for jewelry on the ship is over $800.

As I understand it a cruise line is already required to electronically report purchases of over $600 or thereabouts to Customs, so failure to declare it would result in forfeiture.

Even if one plays by the rules it looks like the final cost of any bling purchase will be much, much, more expensive than if it had been purchased on Fifth Avenue. As the saying goes, "You don't know what you don't know."

That's not an absolute. When I was on a Princess cruise in French Polynesia, I received no such letter. I booked my own airfare to Tahiti, so that may have been the reason.

The thread is about US Customs and posters are discussing the procedures for customs when you enter the US. The customs requirements and procedures in French Polynesia aren't relevant.

I have heard staff in ship's shops not exactly giving wrong information but stating it in a very confusing way as a means to trying to sell costly jewelry.

There is nothing confusing in saying you must declare everything you purchase outside U.S. no matter where you buy it be it on the ship, an island, any country including USVI. You may or not have to pay duty but that will be determined by the CBP Official.

You must declare jewelry bought on the ship and if that purchase exceeds $800 the purchase will be reported to CBP by the ship. If you bought something for $200, you must declare that on your declaration form and it will be added to everything else you purchased outside the country. If you exceed the total duty free allowance, you might be charged duty on it.

I have heard staff in ship's shops not exactly giving wrong information but stating it in a very confusing way as a means to trying to sell costly jewelry.

There is nothing confusing in saying you must declare everything you purchase outside U.S. no matter where you buy it be it on the ship, an island, any country including USVI. You may or not have to pay duty but that will be determined by the CBP Official.

You must declare jewelry bought on the ship and if that purchase exceeds $800 the purchase will be reported to CBP by the ship. If you bought something for $200, you must declare that on your declaration form and it will be added to everything else you purchased outside the country. If you exceed the total duty free allowance, you might be charged duty on it.

You are correct and when in doubt declare it.

With that said if the jewelry shop has already paid the duty then they will give you a letter for that which you will present to the customs agent on board the ship and you will not have to pay duty on it. If duty was not paid then it will count towards your $800.00 per person exemption.

Keith

Two related items.

In some cases duty has already been paid by the jewelry shop on the ship and if so they will give you a certificate so you would not have to pay duty so ask about that.

Keep in mind that you do get to bring back $800.00 per person so you can purchase some items.

In general I find you can do as well at home and sometimes better then on the ship or in port but once in awhile you can find something better in port or on the ship. The key is to do your research ahead of time.

Keith

This does not take into consideration the additional duty free allowance granted if purchases are made in USVI. If you shop in St. Croix, St. John or St. Thomas, you get double deduction and more liberal on liquor as well as other favorable terms. However, there are conditions attached such as what percentage of your total purchases must be made in USVI

Yes, but the Original Poster did not specify where they are stopping so I didn't get into purchases made in USVI.

Keith

Quite correct. This is a round trip TA including stops in the EU, so items from the Caribbean don't apply here.

The minefield that really alerted me in the "Know Before You Go" pamphlet were the western European countries - such as France and Germany - considered as "301 Authority" where the import duty is 100%! Not being an import export I don't know what exacty triggers that confiscatory duty rate. (Or, if it is purely up to the mood of the CBP inspector on duty that day.) I would not rely on information from the on board sales person because they want to make a sale and won't be around when the passenger goes through Customs.

Edited by BlueRiband

With that said if the jewelry shop has already paid the duty then they will give you a letter for that which you will present to the customs agent on board the ship and you will not have to pay duty on it. If duty was not paid then it will count towards your $800.00 per person exemption.

No onboard jewelry shop has paid duty on any of their items. They will tell you the merchandise is tax and duty free, but what that means is that they did not pay tax or duty on it, hoping to convince you that therefore they can sell it to you at a lower price than you would find at home. By no means does it mean that you will not be subject to duty when entering the US. EM

We don't buy muc and do list our purchases on the customs form. However, I'm confused. I know that we can bring back $800 in personal purchases from the ship and/or ports. However, if we buy in a duty free shop, then why would we pay duty? Can someone please explain?

thanks,

Debbi

We don't buy muc and do list our purchases on the customs form. However, I'm confused. I know that we can bring back $800 in personal purchases from the ship and/or ports. However, if we buy in a duty free shop, then why would we pay duty? Can someone please explain?

thanks,

Debbi

IMHO "Duty Free Shop" is only the name of the shop.

As posted above it may imply that what they are selling, no duty has been paid, hence cheaper to you to buy.

For all practical purposes anything purchased outside of the US that is not of US origin is subject to duty above the personal exemption, etc. etc.

No onboard jewelry shop has paid duty on any of their items. They will tell you the merchandise is tax and duty free, but what that means is that they did not pay tax or duty on it, hoping to convince you that therefore they can sell it to you at a lower price than you would find at home. By no means does it mean that you will not be subject to duty when entering the US. EM

This in not correct. There are definitely cases where jewelry that is on board cruises ships we have sailed have in fact had their duty paid for and they do furnish a letter.

All I said was ask if that was the case.

Keith

Did you purchase jewellry on the ship ??

Did you dock at a US port ?

What ever the answer is PLEASE declare it & go to the customs officer when called

We had one lady who refused to report to customs on the ship to pay the duty so the ship was held up for the rest of us to disembark

Finally some of her family/friends convinced her to go after they called her several times

The thread is about US Customs and posters are discussing the procedures for customs when you enter the US. The customs requirements and procedures in French Polynesia aren't relevant.

Well, duh, i did have to go through US Customs when I landed at LAX, so it most certainly is relevant.

Yes, you are correct. My comments only apply to ships that cruise in the US, starting and ending in US ports, or even ending in a US port, such as a trans ocean sailing. Sailing into and out of foreign ports, you declare your purchases when you arrive home, via a flight.

As I understand it a cruise line is already required to electronically report purchases of over $600 or thereabouts to Customs, so failure to declare it would result in forfeiture.

Even if one plays by the rules it looks like the final cost of any bling purchase will be much, much, more expensive than if it had been purchased on Fifth Avenue. As the saying goes, "You don't know what you don't know."

Not necessarily true. My necklace was appraised for far more than I paid for it, even with the duty I paid. And besides, after shopping many times on 5th Avenue, at places like Tiffany's, their prices are no bargain whatsoever.