Is Princess moving away from dancing on its ships?

PunkiC

I don't like dancing or dressing formal. I'm going on the Golden Princess in a couple of weeks. I hope I don't ruin the experience for any of you.

Won't bother me. I am not sailing until August. :D

I don't understand. Do you mean that you follow the dress code every night but to the nth (tuxedos for formal' date=' shirts and slacks for smart casual for men; gowns for formal and dressy dresses for smart casual for women)? Because if you are dressed to the nines on smart casual nights, then you would be among the very few. But that doesn't mean that others aren't following the suggested guidelines on Princess -- most likely they would be, even without a suit or a nice dress.

Just would like clarification.[/quote']

Well, in the old days, gentlemen wore formal wear on every night but the first and last. At most other time they wore business suits and ties.

I saw a movie one time where low class people were posing as rich aboard a ship. Not knowing the rules, the man put on his tux on the first night. He was yelled at by the maître d’ because he thought he was a waiter......

I also remember a time when people dressed to fly. Men had jackets and ties on board.

Then everything began to slide to the lowest common denominator. Now only a few nights are formal nights, people fly with pajamas for the most part.

People think jeans are the new fashion statement (I have nothing against jeans, but I find them too heavy. I wear them when I an doing work in the garden or other projects). Most of the time I prefer nice slacks.

This has been a long time in coming and I have no idea when the gentle slide went over the cliff.

Well, in the old days, gentlemen wore formal wear on every night but the first and last. At most other time they wore business suits and ties.

I saw a movie one time where low class people were posing as rich aboard a ship. Not knowing the rules, the man put on his tux on the first night. He was yelled at by the maître d’ because he thought he was a waiter......

I also remember a time when people dressed to fly. Men had jackets and ties on board.

Then everything began to slide to the lowest common denominator. Now only a few nights are formal nights, people fly with pajamas for the most part.

People think jeans are the new fashion statement (I have nothing against jeans, but I find them too heavy. I wear them when I an doing work in the garden or other projects). Most of the time I prefer nice slacks.

This has been a long time in coming and I have no idea when the gentle slide went over the cliff.

I've seen the episodes of Love Boat (they were even being shown on my last cruise on the TV) and I've looked over any brochures we've received by Cunard. So I understand the whole thing about men tended to wear tuxes on those cruises. And I've worked at one company where everyone wore suits (including women employees), but before and after that, I've also been at places where many people wear jeans. It is what it is.

There are some traditions that I like about cruising (such as traditional dining) that I hope stick around. It's up to us to continue to let the cruiselines know that we support these traditions. When you go on a cruise or go to a wedding or a holiday party, where people are enjoying themselves dancing, ask people to take photos of the fun, and send them to Princess and show them that this is what you enjoy. If you're on Facebook, post photos (even if they're from years ago) of you enjoying dancing on board to the Princess Facebook page.

Do you think it will ever turn around? When we first started our business, out of our home, my husband would dress in a shirt and tie every day to go to his "office" downstairs. Now we have a real office and he often goes to work in jeans and a polo shirt. What happened?

He still does, however, wear a jacket and usually a tie to Mass on Sundays and owns a tux, white dinner jacket, evening tails and a morning coat, all of which he wears regularly on appropriate occasions.

We are blessed in that our dancing lives create many appropriate occasions for fancy dress. It is such fun!

It makes me sad to see Princess going more and more in the direction of NCL and Carnival. Once they remove all of the elegance and class--i.e. formal nights and ballroom dancing--what's the point of cruising? I really don't enjoy seeing people eating in jeans, shorts and flipflops like it was a McDonalds.

It's like the airline moving away from a really classy experience to being more and more like a Greyhound bus

This is so true!!!

If you are in a changing world and don't like the changes in your environment, maybe you either need to change by finding a new environment that suits you, be more accepting, or change with the times. In these times, we see the cruise market open to people from different countries, continents, and cultures. We all dress and eat differently. While I enjoy Princess right now, I fully realize that there may be a time when some other line is more in line with my tastes. The 25-year old me probably wouldn't be caught dead on a Princess ship. As a 53-old, it's in my comfort zone.

The world as you describe where people dressed up to fly is something I remember as a kid in the 70s. It's not just Carnival and NCL where people dress down, it's every mass market cruise line.

I certainly hope that Princess provides venues for dancing for those who want it as long as what is provided is commensurate with the level of interest.

While I am more of a "shake you booty dancer" I do enjoy watching those of you whom are so talented. I wish I could convince my husband to take lessons.

It will be a shame to not be able to watch those of you who are so talented.

I have seen in many event venues the portable wooden floors set up. Maybe this is something Princess will consider to do on the new ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gracie, we have several friends who started dancing late in life--fathers inspired to take lessons so they could dance with their daughters at their weddings.

We were at a formal dance last Saturday night and there were three of these couples in attendance. It was amazing to watch them. I can clearly remember when they were struggling awkwardly around the floor just a few short years ago and now they float around like angels.

Try to encourage your hubby to learn. It will change your lives forever.

Do you think it will ever turn around? When we first started our business, out of our home, my husband would dress in a shirt and tie every day to go to his "office" downstairs. Now we have a real office and he often goes to work in jeans and a polo shirt. What happened?

He still does, however, wear a jacket and usually a tie to Mass on Sundays and owns a tux, white dinner jacket, evening tails and a morning coat, all of which he wears regularly on appropriate occasions.

We are blessed in that our dancing lives create many appropriate occasions for fancy dress. It is such fun!

No, it will probably not. Yet, all of those 1950's sci fi flicks(and the Twilight Zone) about the future have us wearing all those weird costumes that nobody wears for real.

In looking through history,in the middle ages people dressed very casually. It was the 18th century with Louis XV and XVI who brought fashion to the height of ridiculousness. It has been simplifying ever since. Tuxedos were invented in the 1880s and were considered scandalous.

So, no for everyday conditions what you see today will probably be rock bottom (sweats and grubby t-shirts I mean), which is why formal nights are really special because it gives us a chance to get fancy at least for a night or two.

Unfortunately, for those who have never really dressed fancy there is no tradition to relive. In 50 years only scholars will be able to read hand written cursive writings....And the people who cannot do that today think it is no big deal.

And so it goes.

One thing I realized, on the Royal they do have the option to convert the upper pool into what looks like a stage at night in some form.

Depending on what that stage is made of, could be an interesting dance venue one evening.

While I am more of a "shake you booty dancer" I do enjoy watching those of you whom are so talented. I wish I could convince my husband to take lessons.

We got started just before a cruise by taking a private lesson (me reluctantly) with a teacher who taught us waltz basics (straight line movement with a turn). During this class we asked her "Is there a simple move that really looks good?", and she taught us a counter-clockwise turn, not normally seen. 1 hour training, total.

At the Captain's Circle party (I think it was on Grand Princess) the band played a waltz and we took the stage - literally, as the dance floor was obstructed. One other couple joined as well, doing the basics. I led us through the moves, including the flashy turn, and at the end of the dance everyone clapped !!! :D:D We became instant celebrities onboard, and I really liked it! ( this was over 13 years ago, and I still remember it like yesterday).

We became hooked on dancing, and have taken lessons since, and concentrated on dancing well for our own enjoyment. We are not svelte by any means, but really enjoy dancing and the variety of moves we have learned. The cruise before last we were asked by one watcher in the Wheelhouse Bar, such as yourself, whether we were dance instructors that Princess had onboard. It is good to be recognized at doing something well that is so much fun - and it happens on most cruises.

All this started from a single lesson.

,,, and a lot of really fun Princess Cruises offering us the chance to dance.

We are the "shake your booty" type dancers, but we cruise to dance, nevertheless. We have loved Princess for that very reason and there were always three live bands and you could pick your poison. Princess, hope you're listening - WE LOVE TO DANCE!! Ballroom, rock N roll, whatever!!!

Barbara - we could never be as elegant as you. If you decide to cruise no more because there are no decent dance venues left on cruise ships, it will be a sad day.

Gracie, we have several friends who started dancing late in life--fathers inspired to take lessons so they could dance with their daughters at their weddings.

We were at a formal dance last Saturday night and there were three of these couples in attendance. It was amazing to watch them. I can clearly remember when they were struggling awkwardly around the floor just a few short years ago and now they float around like angels.

Try to encourage your hubby to learn. It will change your lives forever.

I will have to work on that. He is an avid golfer so anything like dancing would take a backseat. Its odd because he loves to watch Dancing with the Stars!! Maybe one day. Hopefully there will be some of you on our Royal Sailing so he can watch and maybe get interested!!

We got started just before a cruise by taking a private lesson (me reluctantly) with a teacher who taught us waltz basics (straight line movement with a turn). During this class we asked her "Is there a simple move that really looks good?", and she taught us a counter-clockwise turn, not normally seen. 1 hour training, total.

At the Captain's Circle party (I think it was on Grand Princess) the band played a waltz and we took the stage - literally, as the dance floor was obstructed. One other couple joined as well, doing the basics. I led us through the moves, including the flashy turn, and at the end of the dance everyone clapped !!! :D:D We became instant celebrities onboard, and I really liked it! ( this was over 13 years ago, and I still remember it like yesterday).

We became hooked on dancing, and have taken lessons since, and concentrated on dancing well for our own enjoyment. We are not svelte by any means, but really enjoy dancing and the variety of moves we have learned. The cruise before last we were asked by one watcher in the Wheelhouse Bar, such as yourself, whether we were dance instructors that Princess had onboard. It is good to be recognized at doing something well that is so much fun - and it happens on most cruises.

Maybe our paths will cross on a ship one day and you can teach us a thing or two. Like you would love to just know some basic steps to start with.

Hope this gives all of your chuckle. As I said before, we usually sit and enjoy watching the dancers in the Wheelhouse and if I'm lucky DH will do a slow dance after I stand on the dance for for a couple of minutes. Anyhow , a few years ago I asked him if I found out I was going to die and my dying wish was for him and I to take dancing lessons ewould he agree to do this.

Well his reply was Hell no!!!why would I waste the money when you are going to die!!! Oh well it is what it is. So we just enjoy watchingyou great dancers!!

No, it will probably not. Yet, all of those 1950's sci fi flicks(and the Twilight Zone) about the future have us wearing all those weird costumes that nobody wears for real.

In looking through history,in the middle ages people dressed very casually. It was the 18th century with Louis XV and XVI who brought fashion to the height of ridiculousness. It has been simplifying ever since. Tuxedos were invented in the 1880s and were considered scandalous.

So, no for everyday conditions what you see today will probably be rock bottom (sweats and grubby t-shirts I mean), which is why formal nights are really special because it gives us a chance to get fancy at least for a night or two.

Unfortunately, for those who have never really dressed fancy there is no tradition to relive. In 50 years only scholars will be able to read hand written cursive writings....And the people who cannot do that today think it is no big deal.

And so it goes.

Just have to add something that I observed tonight at our oldest Granddaughter's Graduation from high school.

It was held outside in the football staduim, Ok you don't have to wear a suit and tie, but short, short blue jean shorts and graphic T-shirts not the young kids but the parents!!! Our world sure has changed!!

I admit up front that I have not read all of the posts on this thread. I have not visited Cruise Critic for about 6 months. But I wanted to say that I saw lots of ballroom style dancing on my cruise in February. It was usually in Explorers but sometimes in Wheelhouse. Don't give up on it yet. I think there are some good bands on some of the ships that will have dancing for you.

My husband and I enjoy dancing to the live bands on Princess. In February I was with my sister-in-law so I just watched the dancing and was missing my husband/dance partner.

Hope this gives all of your chuckle. As I said before, we usually sit and enjoy watching the dancers in the Wheelhouse and if I'm lucky DH will do a slow dance after I stand on the dance for for a couple of minutes. Anyhow , a few years ago I asked him if I found out I was going to die and my dying wish was for him and I to take dancing lessons ewould he agree to do this.

Well his reply was Hell no!!!why would I waste the money when you are going to die!!! Oh well it is what it is. So we just enjoy watchingyou great dancers!!

OK, that made me laugh. Of course, if he had been my husband, when I was done laughing, I probably would have killed him.

On second thought, I never would have married a man who didn't love to dance.

I was lucky (for someone of my generation) in that I didn't marry until I was finished with law school, and by that time I had developed quite a good, long list of "Husband Requirement" which very definitely included a love of dance, theater, and travel, drop dead gorgeousness, tall-skinny genes for the benefit of my children, and a deep commitment to a religious faith that approved of dancing and drinking wine. We are, by the way, Roman Catholics, and Catholics love dancing and drinking wine. :)

After 42 years, I can honestly say that I picked pretty darned well.

My wife insisted on me taking dance lessons about four months before our first cruise on Sea Princess and come to think of it she also insisted on the cruise holiday which I was not looking forward to. Since that time I have become hooked on both. When we took our first lessons we went to a dance teacher who was a former British open and European Ballroom Champion. The dancing has taken over our lives and we now train at least 5 times a week and some times more. We go on dance holidays and attend many dance events and competitions and because of all this dancing our kids and grandchildren have to book appointments to come and see us. All this dancing has even lead to me saying to my wife when she visitied the hospital this week don'r be ill as I don't want to have to find a new dance partner and break them in.:D

Earlier this year on a cruise we danced on the stage of the theatre as this was the only dance floor on the ship and the 400 or so that were in the theatre gave us a thunderous round of applause for our Cha Cha Cha and one little girl came up to us and told us she wanted to dance like us. Talk about making you feel good. I was on a real high. Dancing can give you deep lows when you know you danced poorly but the highs it gives you when you just do an average dance a wonderful but when you dance better than ever the high is higher than the moon. The appreciation you get from the non dancers to a performance is also wonderful and they think you are so special even though you know you are just Mr Average but you have had that buzz.

To those that don't dance you do not know what you are missing out on. You miss the glitz and glamour that comes with dance, you miss being taken out of the humdrum of everyday life, you miss the health and fitness levels being developed in a pleasurable and easy way, and to thos men who will not dance you miss the opportunity of having a miriad of beautiful women in your arms without being hit by your wife or a divorce sitation.;):):D

We must continue to dance and dance is a must to be accomodated on every cruise. And one final thing after last nights dance training I think my new routines in Waltz, Fostrot, Tango, Rumbs and Jive are ready to be unvieled so those cruising on the Royal Princess Maiden Voyage a week on Sunday may be the first see them in public if the ship allows us the opportuinty to dance the way we like.

It would be good to have a cruise dedicated to dance and all the cruise critic dancers be on that cruise. What a wonderful event that would be.

We are the "shake your booty" type dancers, but we cruise to dance, nevertheless. We have loved Princess for that very reason and there were always three live bands and you could pick your poison. Princess, hope you're listening - WE LOVE TO DANCE!! Ballroom, rock N roll, whatever!!!

Barbara - we could never be as elegant as you. If you decide to cruise no more because there are no decent dance venues left on cruise ships, it will be a sad day.

Thanks kid...and we are not really ballroom dancers either and don't have to have a fancy floor(altho we like great floors)...........we just want good music of any type and lots of it.......

we keep hoping what we cruise for will come back..........hugs to u both

You wear formal attire every night? We dress nicely every night but only wear formal wear on formal nights and then I specifically request that we not be seated with people who are not properly dressed. Eating with people who refuse to dress for a formal dinner kind of takes the shine off the evening.

We do dress nitely, he in tux or dinner jacket (he has all colors) and me in short or long sequin gowns, we do it because that is what we love......don't expect others to do the same but it is very upsetting to see the dress style going to "it's my cruise and I' ll dress anyway I want".....when we started cruising in 87 it was a fashion show every nite, that is what we fell in love with......oh well, all things change, but we can not go in that direction.

Thanks kid...and we are not really ballroom dancers either and don't have to have a fancy floor(altho we like great floors)...........we just want good music of any type and lots of it.......

we keep hoping what we cruise for will come back..........hugs to u both

AMEN!! Good music and lots of it (and hopefully LIVE music)!!

My wife insisted on me taking dance lessons about four months before our first cruise on Sea Princess and come to think of it she also insisted on the cruise holiday which I was not looking forward to. Since that time I have become hooked on both. When we took our first lessons we went to a dance teacher who was a former British open and European Ballroom Champion. The dancing has taken over our lives and we now train at least 5 times a week and some times more. We go on dance holidays and attend many dance events and competitions and because of all this dancing our kids and grandchildren have to book appointments to come and see us. All this dancing has even lead to me saying to my wife when she visitied the hospital this week don'r be ill as I don't want to have to find a new dance partner and break them in.:D

Earlier this year on a cruise we danced on the stage of the theatre as this was the only dance floor on the ship and the 400 or so that were in the theatre gave us a thunderous round of applause for our Cha Cha Cha and one little girl came up to us and told us she wanted to dance like us. Talk about making you feel good. I was on a real high. Dancing can give you deep lows when you know you danced poorly but the highs it gives you when you just do an average dance a wonderful but when you dance better than ever the high is higher than the moon. The appreciation you get from the non dancers to a performance is also wonderful and they think you are so special even though you know you are just Mr Average but you have had that buzz.

To those that don't dance you do not know what you are missing out on. You miss the glitz and glamour that comes with dance, you miss being taken out of the humdrum of everyday life, you miss the health and fitness levels being developed in a pleasurable and easy way, and to thos men who will not dance you miss the opportunity of having a miriad of beautiful women in your arms without being hit by your wife or a divorce sitation.;):):D

We must continue to dance and dance is a must to be accomodated on every cruise. And one final thing after last nights dance training I think my new routines in Waltz, Fostrot, Tango, Rumbs and Jive are ready to be unvieled so those cruising on the Royal Princess Maiden Voyage a week on Sunday may be the first see them in public if the ship allows us the opportuinty to dance the way we like.

It would be good to have a cruise dedicated to dance and all the cruise critic dancers be on that cruise. What a wonderful event that would be.

I know that dancing has given my wife and I so much enjoyment, I'm not sure where we'd be without it. We're not Ballroom dancers (we can do Cha-Cha & Rumba) but prefer West Coast Swing (our favorite) with East Coast Swing and Night Club 2-Step thrown in for good measure. I know we cruised on the Ruby in 2008 and had such a great time when they did the 'Dancing with the Stars'. The participation was fantastic and I still remember sitting in the Wheelhouse after the competition where we had around 8-10 different couples from a lot of different countries all sitting together. It was a great time and one that my wife and I still treasure. It was on the Ruby again in 2010 that we met what we consider our best friends while attending one of the group dance lessons and then moving on to one of the other dance venues on the ships. Dancing gave us a reason to strike up a conversation and we've cruised together ever since. We've also made our moves to the same community for our retirement. I do hope that Princess keeps a number of venues and music types for all types of dancing. It is one of the reasons we cruise.

Happy Cruising and Dancing!!!

Archived