OCD Planner's Live ALASKA Photo Trip Report 16 day Cruise Tour aboard Radiance

The walk in closet:

image_zpsb8d37ce7.jpg

image_zps46394d54.jpg

3745e437-520c-4d71-9f83-23367b722527_zps657a5c72.jpg

image_zps02f7b5b3.jpg

I especially love having a hotpot in the room to make hot tea in the mornings!

image_zps97acb3e9.jpg

Pulling out last night... our first look at the wake!

image_zps262281f9.jpg

Well we're leaving port in Juneau now so I'm sure we're about to go back on Cellular of the Sea so guess that'll be the end of my posts for tonight. We're in Skagway tomorrow & I'll try to at least cover the rest of the ship & hopefully the first sea day at Hubbard Glacier!

ace1zoe2,

We are considering an 11 night southbound cruisetour with the land portion first. I am guessing we would arrive in Seward similar to you - around noon. We would like to do a 3 hour tour on Major Marine - which runs 2-5pm. Do you think this is do-able, or cutting it too close?

I think you would probably be fine. I heard that there were people who came in on the 6 o'clock train who made it. I'd just call Major Marine & ask their opinion. I think the ship & boats all dock at the same small boat harbor. I'm sure if I am wrong someone will let md know right away ;)

Great review!!! Wondering if they have a piano player in the Schooner Bar with guests sintering able tosing along at night?

Each night the compass shows that from 9:45pm - late there is Schooner Bar entertainer Chuck Perry. We have not been so I'm not sure how interactive it is. Sorry I couldn't provide more information.

What a beautiful aft picture. That is the first time I've seen one with snow apped mountains. Steve perry was on our jewel cruise. It became a joke of the cruise if you asked him if he knew "Paradise by the dashboard light" by Meatloaf.

OK, so I lied... the next post is not going to be about the Radiance. I had planned to do it next but there are just too many pictures to try to upload so I am going to wait until I get home so that I can bulk upload them from my computer instead... so now what I'm going to report on next is our first sea day at Hubbard Glacier:

Today is day 9 (day 2 of the cruise) and we will spend this glorious day at sea! We were able to sleep in for a while this morning. Then we attended the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle which was held in the Quill & Compass. The event was well attended and I would guess that there was probably 40-50 people there... however there was no meeting and no mingling. I would say, in my opinion, that this was probably my least favorite M&M that we have attended. They had pre-made glasses of lemonade, tea, orange juice & water and cheese plate, fruit plate and appetizer plate available for everyone. They gave away the same welcome gift to everyone that we've received at least the last 3-4 years the blue name card holder with the paper & pen inside. There was no introductions, no games, nothing. They did a door prize drawing and probably gave away 10 prizes. At least 5 of them were the RCI pen, highlighter, keychain variety and the others were bottle of red wine, white wine, champagne and the grand prize was a women's watch & bracelet set. Two of our friends won a prize which was of the visor, pen, magnet, keychain variety. I know that a lot of the success of the M&M is when you have participation of the Roll Call members. As I said earlier, this Roll Call did not talk or interact leading up to the cruise, so guess it should have been no surprise that the M&M turned out the same. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying we've had much more fun at active Roll Call M&M parties in the past.

After the meeting we went by the Windjammer and hubby had a bowl of oatmeal. I waited for Izumi to open and we stopped by there and picked up food to go and I took it back to the room and enjoyed it on the balcony as we made our way to Hubbard Glacier.

image_zps6873dd03.jpg

Next it was out to the balcony as we entered Yukitat Bay & Disenchantment Bay to view Hubbard Glacier.

image_zps682f9c55.jpg

image_zps9e38985b.jpg

image_zps4040ca01.jpg

image_zpsa547efad.jpg

image_zpsddf1d569.jpg

After being outside for the afternoon at Hubbard Glacier I took a much need afternoon nap for about an hour and a half.

Edited by ace1zoe2

OK, so I lied... the next post is not going to be about the Radiance. I had planned to do it next but there are just too many pictures to try to upload so I am going to wait until I get home so that I can bulk upload them from my computer instead... so now what I'm going to report on next is our first sea day at Hubbard Glacier:

Today is day 9 (day 2 of the cruise) and we will spend this glorious day at sea! We were able to sleep in for a while this morning. Then we attended the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle which was held in the Quill & Compass. The event was well attended and I would guess that there was probably 40-50 people there... however there was no meeting and no mingling. I would say, in my opinion, that this was probably my least favorite M&M that we have attended. They had pre-made glasses of lemonade, tea, orange juice & water and cheese plate, fruit plate and appetizer plate available for everyone. They gave away the same welcome gift to everyone that we've received at least the last 3-4 years the blue name card holder with the paper & pen inside. There was no introductions, no games, nothing. They did a door prize drawing and probably gave away 10 prizes. At least 5 of them were the RCI pen, highlighter, keychain variety and the others were bottle of red wine, white wine, champagne and the grand prize was a women's watch & bracelet set. Two of our friends won a prize which was of the visor, pen, magnet, keychain variety. I know that a lot of the success of the M&M is when you have participation of the Roll Call members. As I said earlier, this Roll Call did not talk or interact leading up to the cruise, so guess it should have been no surprise that the M&M turned out the same. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying we've had much more fun at active Roll Call M&M parties in the past.

After the meeting we went by the Windjammer and hubby had a bowl of oatmeal. I waited for Izumi to open and we stopped by there and picked up food to go and I took it back to the room and enjoyed it on the balcony as we made our way to Hubbard Glacier.

image_zps6873dd03.jpg

Next it was out to the balcony as we entered Yukitat Bay & Disenchantment Bay to view Hubbard Glacier.

image_zps682f9c55.jpg

image_zps9e38985b.jpg

image_zps4040ca01.jpg

image_zpsa547efad.jpg

image_zpsddf1d569.jpg

After being outside for the afternoon at Hubbard Glacier I took a much need afternoon nap for about an hour and a half.

I thought the southbound has viewing of Hubbard Glacier from 2:00-6:00? Did you see it earlier? We're going in August and I figured I'd hardly have time to get ready for dinner let alone catch a nap.

Since we are on the aft I wanted to ask a question concerning the best viewing for Hubbard. Did you have a good opportunity to view it from your balcony or would photos be better up front where everyone seems to go? Did the Capt. make an effort to turn the ship 360 so all the balconies could see it? Our cruise mates will have a starboard side hump cabin so we could also view from there. I just want to be in the right place at the right time...

Thanks Cindy.

doesn't look like you got very close to the glacier either! ice flow looks the same as it did last Thursday!

I'm sure those who had never been before thought it was close... however when we were here in 2008 we were supposed to go to Tracy Arm Fjord & it was too icy so they took us to Endicott Arm Fjord... we felt like we were close enough to touch it. This time was kind of let down. However, there was A LOT of ice so I'm glad they erred on the side of safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Since we are on the aft I wanted to ask a question concerning the best viewing for Hubbard. Did you have a good opportunity to view it from your balcony or would photos be better up front where everyone seems to go? Did the Capt. make an effort to turn the ship 360 so all the balconies could see it? Our cruise mates will have a starboard side hump cabin so we could also view from there. I just want to be in the right place at the right time...

Thanks Cindy.

We stayed on our aft balcony the entire time. I'm sure those who chose to go out on deck had more viewing time but since we'd be before, we enjoyed our time & space ALONE on our balcony. We had plenty of time to see what we wanted to see and stayed out on the balcony pretty much the whole time.

I thought the southbound has viewing of Hubbard Glacier from 2:00-6:00? Did you see it earlier? We're going in August and I figured I'd hardly have time to get ready for dinner let alone catch a nap.

I believe we were headed in at 2pm, highlight at 3pm and were pulling out at 4pm. The captain did turn the ship 360 degrees so that everyone could see. The tirpi in and out were slow due to all of the ice. By August you probably won't have this problem.

Just bringing forward my post #295. I am so enjoying your live review. You are going to love Radiance and won't want to get off in Vancouver. We have sailed on her several times since refurbishment - also in 9256.

As I mentioned before, we are on 29 Aug 2014. I plan to have 7 days pre & post cruise for land tours. Currently I am looking into the Cruisetour option -v- doing our own. Some of the 2013 tours are no longer avail in 2014.

A matching cruise tour is the 19 Night Ultimate Cruisetour Canadian Rockies & Alaska. Total cost based on a D2 is around $12,800. Starts in Fairbanks 23 Aug 2014 for 2 nights. Does Denali (inc TWT), Talkeetna, then Anchorage but not Aleyeska or overnight Seward. The Alaskan portion is equivalent of #8B. There is a #7B that seems similar to yours, ie overnight Seward with Windsong Lodge.

The cruise tour finishes with the equivalent of the #2CA tour (13 night Rockies) that has an overnight in Victoria and Vancouver prior to rail to Jasper (overnight), coach to Banff (overnight), Calgary (overnight). Then fly back to Vancouver (overnight own cost) before reboarding Radiance.

The only extra costs would be Air travel Anchorage to Fairbanks and Calgary back to Vancouver plus 1 extra night in Vancouver.

An alternative I am considering is the 5 day Windsong package of Best of Kenai Fjords NP as a pre cruise rather than going to Denali. This allows us to fly direct to Anchorage rather than Fairbanks from Australia and gives us more time around Kenai rather than Denali. What to do?

Any thoughts? I know you will be busy exploring Radiance so I don't expect an immediate response.

We have never been to Alaska or the Rockies and it would be a very long time before returning.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh

:DWe get on when you get off Hugh. My OCD is alive and well, I researched time of year to go for months before deciding on Sept. I know anything can happen weatherwise in Alaska, but for the most part the consensus both with cruisers and locals was end of August/first of Sept. for best weather, wildlife etc. Now I know there are those who will say "Hey it rained the whole time we went in Sept." I've read it, but averaging it looked the best. We'll just have to pray that the weather is stellar. Also like the fact that all the merchandise will be on sale:D;) Hope we made the right choices.:o

So far Cindy's weather has been simply marvelous!

Edited by BecciBoo

Once again Cindy thank you, thank you for all the useful information you have provided. As I stated we are taking the same cruise tour July 13. We have had to revise Anchorage as there is less time than we thought in that city, but oh well, found a fabulous mall when looking over everything on google maps, so kind of makes up for it. DH not too impressed, but more shopping for more me in less time LOL. You have provided us with much needed in depth information that we have tried for over a year to obtain. We had done the cruise portion in 2002 but it was very hard to find information on the land portion until you came along. THANK YOU AGAIN. Your pictures are fabulous, your insight and information priceless. Now I really cant wait to get on the plane. 31 days, 12 hours, 51 minutes, 52 seconds and yes I am counting.

Edited by Fluffy Terry

:DWe get on when you get off Hugh. My OCD is alive and well,

So you must be doing the mystery tour Vancouver RT that has been booked as a Jazz charter.

Friends of ours from Toronto couldn't get on that so switched to Millenium and we will meet up with them on the Hawaii leg.

Wow, no word of that on our roll call, I'll have to look into it...first I've heard of it! Where did you hear this?

This is what I found: Fri 5 Sep 2014

7 Night Dave Koz Charter Cruise

It's for next year not this September. We're going this year. Didn't see that yours is next year!.

Edited by BecciBoo

Wow, no word of that on our roll call, I'll have to look into it...first I've heard of it! Where did you hear this?

On Radiance from the loyalty desk and JD the Concierge, when bookings for 2014/15 had been delayed to May 13. Try finding the Vancouver return departure on the web site for 5 sep 2014. It is not showing and rcl informed us that is was a charter cruise only. The 2013 RT shows but not the 2014.

Just bringing forward my post #295. I am so enjoying your live review. You are going to love Radiance and won't want to get off in Vancouver. We have sailed on her several times since refurbishment - also in 9256.

As I mentioned before, we are on 29 Aug 2014. I plan to have 7 days pre & post cruise for land tours. Currently I am looking into the Cruisetour option -v- doing our own. Some of the 2013 tours are no longer avail in 2014.

A matching cruise tour is the 19 Night Ultimate Cruisetour Canadian Rockies & Alaska. Total cost based on a D2 is around $12,800. Starts in Fairbanks 23 Aug 2014 for 2 nights. Does Denali (inc TWT), Talkeetna, then Anchorage but not Aleyeska or overnight Seward. The Alaskan portion is equivalent of #8B. There is a #7B that seems similar to yours, ie overnight Seward with Windsong Lodge.

The cruise tour finishes with the equivalent of the #2CA tour (13 night Rockies) that has an overnight in Victoria and Vancouver prior to rail to Jasper (overnight), coach to Banff (overnight), Calgary (overnight). Then fly back to Vancouver (overnight own cost) before reboarding Radiance.

The only extra costs would be Air travel Anchorage to Fairbanks and Calgary back to Vancouver plus 1 extra night in Vancouver.

An alternative I am considering is the 5 day Windsong package of Best of Kenai Fjords NP as a pre cruise rather than going to Denali. This allows us to fly direct to Anchorage rather than Fairbanks from Australia and gives us more time around Kenai rather than Denali. What to do?

Any thoughts? I know you will be busy exploring Radiance so I don't expect an immediate response.

We have never been to Alaska or the Rockies and it would be a very long time before returning.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh

You can't go wrong with either of these choices. The 19 nighter features amazing scenery and a nice taste of both places. Don't worry about missing Alyeska; that's not a big loss. I would never do a cruise tour because I'd go crazy visiting those places and not being able to get out and hike and experience the outdoors, but I'm guessing that's not a priority for you.

The Kenai alternative is worth considering. The area is amazingly beautiful and well worth the time provided you get out on the water. There's so much to see and do. Seward tends to get overlooked; most just pass through and miss out. If you had a car, you could do day trips to Homer or go to Whittier and take the ferry to Valdez. The big tradeoff is missing out on Denali. It just depends on what appeals to you more - the water, wildlife and glaciers of Kenai, or the landscapes and animals of Denali.

A third option is doing Alaska on your own. It's very easy. You could then visit both Denali and the Kenai Peninsula before boarding your cruise.

• Like 1

I have bought several books and saw something in the Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call that sounded interesting. It's in the Radiance of the Seas section when describing the ship it says "If you tire of the ocean views, you can gaze into the atrium, eight decks below, from a portholelike window in the floor of the Crown and Anchor Lounge." Have you seen this and if so did you get pics of it. It just sounds odd so I was just wondering lol.

You can't go wrong with either of these choices. The 19 nighter features amazing scenery and a nice taste of both places. Don't worry about missing Alyeska; that's not a big loss. I would never do a cruise tour because I'd go crazy visiting those places and not being able to get out and hike and experience the outdoors, but I'm guessing that's not a priority for you.

The Kenai alternative is worth considering. The area is amazingly beautiful and well worth the time provided you get out on the water. There's so much to see and do. Seward tends to get overlooked; most just pass through and miss out. If you had a car, you could do day trips to Homer or go to Whittier and take the ferry to Valdez. The big tradeoff is missing out on Denali. It just depends on what appeals to you more - the water, wildlife and glaciers of Kenai, or the landscapes and animals of Denali.

A third option is doing Alaska on your own. It's very easy. You could then visit both Denali and the Kenai Peninsula before boarding your cruise.

Thank you Patrick for your comments. I agree with all you say. The Cruise Tour is an option only at this time as I am planning several itineraries and will then consider best value.

I have also looked at hiring a car and spending a couple of days around Anchorage including Matanuska Glacier and Wildlife Sanctuary then combine a leisurely drive to Seward via Whittier with the start of the Best of Kenai Fjords package, that gives us a fair bit of adventure time - Kayaking, hiking, sightseeing. Also could save about $1000:)

I think this will give us the best of both worlds and allow more diverse time in southern Alaska. As we only have 7-8 days precruise I feel spending 3 days at Denali is a bit limiting and also requires an extra flight to Fairbanks.

I like the Canadian section and probably will book #2CA unless I can find an equivalent 7 day tour that fits in with our dates. The cruise tour also allows an upgrade to the Rocky Mountaineer in lieu of VIA sleeper. The nice part of this cruise tour is it includes Victoria BC as well as Vancouver and the Rockies/Calgary and includes all accommodation minus 1 night.

Thanks again for your positive comments, i'm sure this will help others as well.

Hugh

I have bought several books and saw something in the Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call that sounded interesting. It's in the Radiance of the Seas section when describing the ship it says "If you tire of the ocean views, you can gaze into the atrium, eight decks below, from a portholelike window in the floor of the Crown and Anchor Lounge." Have you seen this and if so did you get pics of it. It just sounds odd so I was just wondering lol.

I do have a photo looking up to the C&A lounge from Deck 4 to Deck 12 and I also lay across the glass "porthole" and took a photo looking down.:eek: Unfortunately my photobucket account is playing up and it can't find my files on the hard drive.

Yes, I have seen a picture of it. Just recently people here on CC were wondering if it would still be there after the dry dock. I'll look for it for you. I looked and looked but can't find it. Still reading the thread about "Radiance past present and future"

But we should get Cindy to look for it. I see it mentioned in some places online but no pictures. It is in the Crown and Anchor Lounge right?

Edited by BecciBoo

I finally found this photo but it doesn't do it justice because its so focused in.

21depdy.jpg

How very cool, have to make a note of this to check it out next year.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App