How to enter the water, if need be..

hal lover

On Baileybassett's recent review of their cruise they mentioned that they were told how to enter the water if the need arose.

No one has ever told me. Do of any of you know the correct way to do this?

Very curious!

Isn't this usually covered in muster drills? (Or maybe I'm thinking of airline safety drills for overseas flights...?)

I remember hearing many times that one should:

a) put on your life vest

b) step to the edge of the deck

c) look down to ensure you have a clear path to the water

d) hold your nose with one hand and put your other hand around your middle to hold your vest on securely

e) jump feet first into the water

Edited to add: I've also been told that if you don't have time to get your life vest (or have access to one), grab a life preserver or anything that might float and toss it overboard before jumping.

On P&O they used to demonstrate how to do this.

Hold your lifejacket down on the shouder with one hand, holding your arm across your chest, to stop it jolting up under your chin. Hold your nose with the other hand and step off the ship....easy peasy:eek:

I know to go to the muster station and how to get into a life boat.... but what if one had to actually enter the water?

It would seem to me that is would depend on how high above the water you are WITH YOUR LIFE VEST ON. If it is already at your feet, you could sit and slide in. If it was close (within 3-4 feet) you could step off. But if it was several decks down and you had to jump,:eek::eek:

Geeze, I hope I never have to think about this while aboard ship!

Sorry. typing at the same time as jo-b.

Isn't this usually covered in muster drills? (Or maybe I'm thinking of airline safety drills for overseas flights...?)

I remember hearing many times that one should:

a) put on your life vest

b) step to the edge of the deck

c) look down to ensure you have a clear path to the water

d) hold your nose with one hand and put your other hand around your middle to hold your vest on securely

e) jump feet first into the water

Edited to add: I've also been told that if you don't have time to get your life vest (or have access to one), grab a life preserver or anything that might float and toss it overboard before jumping.

Yes, I've heard that at the last several drills at least.

On P&O they used to demonstrate how to do this.

Hold your lifejacket down on the shouder with one hand, holding your arm across your chest, to stop it jolting up under your chin. Hold your nose with the other hand and step off the ship....easy peasy:eek:

This is still the method that is demonstrated in the muster drills on Princess, at least as of this last March.

I saw no demonstration last May on the Veendam and it was difficult to hear anything over the speaker during the drill.

Yes, I've heard that at the last several drills at least.

Have been on quite a few HA cruises and the last being last December. I am one of those passenger's that really pay attention at the drill. NEVER have I heard instructions if you had to actually enter the water. Yep, hope I never have to!:eek:

Hold your lifejacket down on the shouder with one hand, holding your arm across your chest, to stop it jolting up under your chin.
This bit is very important. For anyone who's wondering about why, the answer is that if you enter the water at some speed, having dropped the height of a number of decks, if you do not do something to try to stop the life jacket riding up as it floats while you continue downwards, it will break your neck or take your head off.

One other important thing is not to jump in the conventional sense. You should take a step off the deck as if you were simply walking forwards.

As far as I can remember, I have seen this briefed and/or demonstrated on "British" ships (P&O and Princess) but not on other ships that I have been on. But I don't know whether any (or, if so, which) regulators have this briefing as a mandatory part of the safety briefing.

YEARS ago on Monarch of the Seas, when the ship was new, the Officer conducting life boat drill at our station instructed that if there was a need to enter the water, he made it clear, the higher up from which you leave the ship, the more like concrete that water is going to be. To have any chance of surviving, he instructed we should cross our arms across our chest and firmly hold each shoulder over our life vest to keep it from riding up and potentially injuring our neck.

Let's hope no one needs to enter water from a ship but it is a really, really high risk thing to do. I suppose if fire is nipping at your feet and there is no other choice.......

I personally do no recall this ever being covered on a cruise, but I do know that for scuba diving they always emphasize stepping off the boat or platform and NOT jumping. Of course, for this you are much closer to the water than on the muster deck of a ship, much, much closer.

On Baileybassett's recent review of their cruise they mentioned that they were told how to enter the water if the need arose.

No one has ever told me. Do of any of you know the correct way to do this?

Very curious!

Well, before you do anything, do you know how to swim?

So someone that cannot swim but has a life jacket on should not abandon ship? :confused: :eek:

what lifejacket?

Let's hope none of us are abandoning any ships!!!!

what lifejacket?

The ones that are in your cabin, or on the promenade deck... as you might have seen the discussion here has been about jumping into the water with a life jacket on, hence the advice to hold onto it to avoid neck injuries. :rolleyes:

As a last resort I am sure people in a life-or-death situation may jump into the ocean without a life jacket even if they couldn't swim. Just as people jump out of burning buildings.

Archived