No Cruise Blues

mavvie

Anyone else suffering from the no cruise blues? My wife and I are still fairly young (32 years young) and can only afford to cruise every two years (albeit we do a cheaper land based vacation in the off year). Our next cruise in December 2014 seems like an eternity away. It will be our most anticipated yet in celebration of paying off the hated mortgage, but alas, I fear it will never come. I live vicariously through the adventures and follies of fellow CC members. It is a double edged sword however. Sharing in others experiences keeps the fond memories of past cruises alive but also freshens the bitter sting of longing. So for all those cruising soon, enjoy a sunset or two and possibly a melting chocolate lava cake for the rest of us.

If it makes the OP feel any better, I went on my 1st cruise at the ripe old age of 52. I would have loved to have started cruising when I was younger. We were fortunate enough to go on 2 cruises this year (loved it) and will probably not be able to go on another cruise for 2 years. It is sad. I love having a cruise booked and looking forward to our next one. Oh well! Enjoy the planning and the anticipation of your 2014 cruise! Hope it is better than you even imagine.

Actually I am suffering from how am I going to pay for that second cruise I just booked blues. I figured I will have to pay 80 a month for the next 5 months, plus save for tips, hotel and transportation-what was I thinking? And then last night the DH came home and told me that when he finishes with his cancer surgery, he is planning to get a new hip. ARGHHHHHH! Oh, and I cruise for the serenity......:rolleyes:

Sorry for your cirumstance. I would hate to have to worry about the incredible costs of surgery if it were not covered under our national medicare here in Canada. Cruising would never be on the agenda, I'd be too worried about paying hospital bills. Best of luck

Actually I am suffering from how am I going to pay for that second cruise I just booked blues. I figured I will have to pay 80 a month for the next 5 months, plus save for tips, hotel and transportation-what was I thinking? And then last night the DH came home and told me that when he finishes with his cancer surgery, he is planning to get a new hip. ARGHHHHHH! Oh, and I cruise for the serenity......:rolleyes:

I know it's not funny, marshhawk, but when I read your post, I laughed until I almost cried. Imagine! How inconsiderate of the hubby to want to get a new hip!!! Cruising is SO much more important! LOL :D

If it helps, I have a terrible addiction to cruising, and it seems to be getting much worse :( I only came off of a ship a few weeks ago, and I leave again in 53 days for a B2B, but I am already so antsy, I do NOT want to go back to work when classes start back next week :rolleyes:

Anyone else suffering from the no cruise blues? My wife and I are still fairly young (32 years young) and can only afford to cruise every two years (albeit we do a cheaper land based vacation in the off year). Our next cruise in December 2014 seems like an eternity away. It will be our most anticipated yet in celebration of paying off the hated mortgage, but alas, I fear it will never come. I live vicariously through the adventures and follies of fellow CC members. It is a double edged sword however. Sharing in others experiences keeps the fond memories of past cruises alive but also freshens the bitter sting of longing. So for all those cruising soon, enjoy a sunset or two and possibly a melting chocolate lava cake for the rest of us.

I'm actually jealous of you! You'll be 33 years old and have paid off your mortgage!!! That's awesome! I'm 28 and my DW is 29 and we just signed ours 2 years ago. 2 down, 28 more years to go! :(

I'm actually jealous of you! You'll be 33 years old and have paid off your mortgage!!! That's awesome! I'm 28 and my DW is 29 and we just signed ours 2 years ago. 2 down, 28 more years to go! :(

Thanks, but don't be jealous, it was all a matter of timing for us. We purchased our home 12 years ago (when I just turned 20) before prices really started going through the roof. We also bought a very affordable home. We did next to nothing in terms of entertainment for the first 6 years and focused on doubling up and increasing payments and building a solid safety net for ourselves. All in all alot of sacrifice that is finally coming to fruition. We signed a 25 year mortgage that will be gone in 13 years. All of that money we will have saved on 12 years interest payments can now be put to good use, like more cruises:D. If I can offer one piece of advice to younger people with mortgages it is to increase your payments by 10% annually. It sounds like alot but you really don't notice the increase. You can cut 7-10 years off a 25-30 mortgage.

I actually get cruise blues before the cruise knowing it will be over too soon. Thus, I booked my next cruise this week so that I have something to look forward to once my Glory cruise is over in a couple of weeks.

I use CC as a means to fill the time until the cruise to help deal with the blues.

Me!! We're moving away from family in a few weeks, and I know most of my vacations will be spent coming home, so I have no idea when my next cruise will be. I'm thinking of a January 2014 birthday cruise, but no idea if it'll happen. I live by Port Canaveral now, and it's so easy to jump on a 3 day Sensation cruise so DH doesn't need much time of work. In San Juan, they're all week-long ones. I'll definitely miss the quick weekend away ones!

I've haven't been on my next one yet (yay, 11 days to go!), and I'm already feeling blue because it's very doubtful that my next one will be before 2016! I definitely need to get these things scheduled closer than every 3-4 years. :(

The good news is that I'll be taking a 2-week, 25-year anniversary trip in 2015 to Hawaii! Must focus on saving up the money for that (or so my DH tells me, non-cruiser that he is).

Thanks, but don't be jealous, it was all a matter of timing for us. We purchased our home 12 years ago (when I just turned 20) before prices really started going through the roof. We also bought a very affordable home. We did next to nothing in terms of entertainment for the first 6 years and focused on doubling up and increasing payments and building a solid safety net for ourselves. All in all alot of sacrifice that is finally coming to fruition. We signed a 25 year mortgage that will be gone in 13 years. All of that money we will have saved on 12 years interest payments can now be put to good use, like more cruises:D. If I can offer one piece of advice to younger people with mortgages it is to increase your payments by 10% annually. It sounds like alot but you really don't notice the increase. You can cut 7-10 years off a 25-30 mortgage.

That is impressive that you bought a home at 20 years old. I think I was too worried about where the next party was at 20 years old!:p

That is very smart, and is definitely something that young people should consider.

I think we definitely did the right thing when we bought our house. The bank gave us a borrowing limit and I think we spent half of that! It's nice having a mortgage payment that costs less than an apartment here north of Atlanta!

Archived