Dining room dress code

satchiesmom

No.

Freestyle doesn't mean what some people think it means.

Big boy pants will get you into every dining venue.

Apparently Freestyle means something different than what you seem to think it means since the answer, per NCL, is yes with 2 exceptions, Aft MDR and Le Bistro.

But it's probably worth noting that long pants (including jeans), collared shirts and closed-toed shoes will get you into ANY dining venue aboard NCL at ANY time. If one doesn't want to worry about exceptions or special cases, that's the way to go. I'm just sayin'...

The dress code has changed since we were last on NCL. I guess this is a good thing. I remember them having the hostess at the entrance to the main dinning room on the Star that would tell you if your clothing was not appropriate.

But it's probably worth noting that long pants (including jeans), collared shirts and closed-toed shoes will get you into ANY dining venue aboard NCL at ANY time. If one doesn't want to worry about exceptions or special cases, that's the way to go. I'm just sayin'...

Collared shirts? Uh oh. I packed jeans and v neck shirts(nice) for my teenage son. Are they acceptable?

Leaving tomorrow for B2B on Jade! Woohoo!

Are shorts acceptable at dinner in the dining room? We are new to the Freestyle concept, my apologies if this is a dumb question.

They are for the smaller MDR but not for the larger one. If the V-neck shirts are nice I doubt you'll have a problem being seated.

Collared shirts? Uh oh. I packed jeans and v neck shirts(nice) for my teenage son. Are they acceptable?

Re: male V neck shirts

Depends on where you plan to dine.

Acceptable - everywhere but aft MDR and Le Bistro

from the FAQ:

Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

On my last sailing, it said you can't wear shorts for dinner at the Manhattan Room, Ocean Blue and Le Bistro (on the Breakaway).

I saw someone get turned away when he tried to go to the Manhattan room for dinner with shorts on.

Yes. He will be just fine. My kids wore jeans and nice t-shirts (plain, pocketed...not heavy metal band) all the time. However, the policy states collared shirts for dinner in the aft dining room and LeBistro, so if someone was to enforce that strongly he might get turned away. However, it's my experience that they won't as long as he doesn't look like a slob. You can always eat in one of the dozen other venues as well. We didn't even eat in Manhattan or LeBistro on our Epic cruise because there were so many other choices/preferences, but on the Jewel there was no issue dressing like that for Tsars

I have only seen people turned away for wearing shorts, accept for embarkation day... They did not seem to enforce the rule which makes sense, since you may not have your luggage as of yet...

True. Not enforced first night

No.

Freestyle doesn't mean what some people think it means.

Big boy pants will get you into every dining venue.

The OP didnt ask for your thoughts but what Policy was..

NCL policy is shorts are okay except for le bistro and the aft MDR..

I wear shorts every night in the MDR..

Re: male V neck shirts

Depends on where you plan to dine.

Acceptable - everywhere but aft MDR and Le Bistro

from the FAQ:

Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

I didnt even wear a collared shirt last cruise every night .. some nights i just wore a regular clean tshirt.. NEver turned away

The OP didnt ask for your thoughts but what Policy was..

NCL policy is shorts are okay except for le bistro and the aft MDR..

I wear shorts every night in the MDR..

Ever notice how most hall monitors don't even have cruise clocks.

This is a cruise. But....

You do not have to wear a tux.

You do not have to wear a jacket.

You do not have to wear a tie.

You do have to dress nice.

It is sad that some think nice is jeans, t-shirt and sandals.

This is a cruise. But....

You do not have to wear a tux.

You do not have to wear a jacket.

You do not have to wear a tie.

You do have to dress nice.

It is sad that some think nice is jeans, t-shirt and sandals.

I thought the MDR called for slacks.

I thought the MDR called for slacks.

Nope. I never pack anything but nice jeans and all-black skateboard shoes (bought for this purpose only, never worn outside of a cruise ship) and never had anything even close to a problem - even in the fancier MDR.

What is acceptable and what is freestyle is the dress code set forth by the host, NCL. According to that dress code, shorts and jeans are acceptable. If you find that dress code unacceptable to you personally and feel it ruins your dining experience then you are the one with the problem...everyone else will be dressed with in the dress code and will be enjoying their dinner.

Exactly this. It's sad to see that we are talking about the cruise line that defines Freestyle and still there are some that get their nose out of joint because they would actually want to have more upscale experience than some of the others.

If it was for me to decide what's acceptable, hawai'i shirts would be banned for good. :D :D

Kids are allowed to wear shorts in the two venues that require long pants and closed toe shoes (LeBistro and aft MDR).

I am packing DH only one pair of khakis and my son just shorts. I plan to have dinner in LeBistro and the aft MDR both once on my cruise. I mostly will be wearing polo dresses and capris because they pack light but I do have a nice new pair of jeans that could be worn in the aft MDR.

Check NCL website for the specific language regarding acceptable dress. Not sure why no one has posted it here yet for you as I usually see more of that than arguments when these questions are posted.

Mostly, since we will all be wearing shorts most of the time and not opting to dress up, which is one reason we chose Freestyle, we will be dining in all the other venues... and choices are plentiful.

I have to dress up for work and prefer to be casual on my vacation and travel light. I suppose I could pack ball gowns and tuxes as some other people choose to do but, since it is NCL and optional, I don't have to do so. And that makes for a more enjoyable vacation for me.

Hopefully, OP, you will do what pleases you as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Archived