Why can't North Americans live without 'iced water' at mealtimes?

Skipper Tim

I have never expected free water at any table I've sat at. Because all water from a tap or a bottle isn't free. Someone, somewhere has to pay to make it come out of the tap or to get into the bottle.

Ergo someone should pay for it.

If the conditions of expecting free water are working hard and paying for a cruise then I'm obviously going wrong somewhere. I've paid for water in every continent in every class of hostelry and don't expect it free. Obviously I don't work hard enough. Fancy that.

I obviously don't work hard enough either...although I do find my 50-60 and occasionally 70 hour weeks quite tiring, but I must be a light weight.

I too think nothing of paying for water when I'm on the continent or even here in the UK.

As for MSC, well worse case scenario and I'm not on Allegrissiom and I don't get free tap water (they can keep all the ice), then I'm not going to be paying more than €20 euros per week for it. Given my discounts, their reasonable pricing to start with and their solo friendly pricing, I would pay at least double for a US line doing a similar itinerary that provides so called "free" water. So hoe free is it when the cruise is costing me hundreds more. Like Alex suggested earlier, just factor it in to the overall coat.

Never ever use the ice bucket and the water in the cabin is chargeable as it's bottled.

It's a matter of personal choice, right? We use tap water and ice from ice buckets

I really do not see what is a problem. There is a free tap water on the ship and there is ice anyway. Why can't people get it in the restaurant? IMHO the only reason is that if it is not provided people are forced to buy bottled water. :) It is pretty simple, if majority of cruisers in Europe prefer bottled water for $ they can continue to use it, but for others it can(should) be available on request.

It's a matter of personal choice, right? We use tap water and ice from ice buckets

I really do not see what is a problem. There is a free tap water on the ship and there is ice anyway. Why can't people get it in the restaurant? IMHO the only reason is that if it is not provided people are forced to buy bottled water. :) It is pretty simple, if majority of cruisers in Europe prefer bottled water for $ they can continue to use it, but for others it can(should) be available on request.

I don't know where to begin with this. "There is ice anyway", "There is free tap water".

My connection is finishing for today. I too am drained. Please assist.

Tim.

I,too,do not see such a big problem;some of the posters are greatly exaggerating (Tim etc) trying to make fun of the Americans:rolleyes:.

Not everybody who wants to drink tap water is cheap;many people-myself included- prefer drinking tap water if good quality-and cruise ship water is very good quality -to bottled water. Plus there is an environmental issue-why to use so many bottles when a glass of tap water is better?

It is a personal choice-and a good choice:D.

Cheap I can understand. What boggles my mind is the expectation of some U.S. cruisers for everything to be as it is at home when they are in a minority on a foreign ship. The attitude of the likes of Cruisetrail is one of cultural imposition on ignorant foreigners. No amount of reasoned and enlightened discussion appears to change a steadfast self-assuredness. The 'when in Rome' principle obviously does not apply to everyone.

"The more one travels, the less one knows"

It has been carefully explained to you already that free water in MDR is a norm in the world of cruising.

Carnival (all brands), RCI and NCL carry about 80% of total passengers.

MSC has about 6%.

Minority... LOL!

The sooner MSC stops marginalizing itself the better.

I don't know where to begin with this. "There is ice anyway", "There is free tap water".

My connection is finishing for today. I too am drained. Please assist.

Tim.

Try to remember your last stateroom on MSC. Do you see ice bucket? :D

I,too,do not see such a big problem;some of the posters are greatly exaggerating (Tim etc) trying to make fun of the Americans:rolleyes:.

Not everybody who wants to drink tap water is cheap;many people-myself included- prefer drinking tap water if good quality-and cruise ship water is very good quality -to bottled water. Plus there is an environmental issue-why to use so many bottles when a glass of tap water is better?

It is a personal choice-and a good choice:D.

Great point!

And next time... sailing with British cruisers I will make a point to remind them that only Americans are supposed to drink tap water with/without ice. :D

"try to remember your last stateroom on MSC. Do you see ice bucket?"

Yes .... Just 2 weeks a go :)

"It has been carefully explained to you already that free water in MDR is a norm in the world of cruising"

American cruising you mean !

Yeah, I remember ice buckets on Poesia too, and water with ice in mdr and Americans and non-Americans drinking it. Same with Princess out of Southampton where majority of pax were from UK.

Try to remember your last stateroom on MSC. Do you see ice bucket? :D

Yes, but no champagne. After the second day when the ice was replaced and still no bubbly I caught on and asked my cabin attendant to remove it with the explanation, "I am not American". I had never had an ice bucket any room/cabin before unless to keep chilled sparkling wine. I then feared for the future soul of MSC.

Archived