Why can't North Americans live without 'iced water' at mealtimes?

Skipper Tim

Alexander Graham Bell was the creator of the first practical working telephone and he hailed form my home town. There were other scientists prior to this experimenting passing electrical currents along wires.

And John Logie Baird the inventor of TV. When we were asked to make bottle openers in metalwork in school - bad I know - I persuaded my metalwork teacher to let me make a John Logie Baird TV. I had to make the camera too of course - who else would use revolving discs for TV?

The Americans may have got the cathode ray tube but they would have been fitter, leaner and even more beautiful, had they had to physically cycle their TV to watch it to this day. Logie Baird is still ahead of his time and ours.

Tim, I inherited my late mother's recipe for tripe soup, cooked with onion and milk, served with a dollop of mashed potato.....my boys still ask for me to make it when they come home.

Fascinating!

The Turkish version has a flavour of garlic and mint. Then they always add juice from a lemon to serve and have it with several loaves of bread :). Even the bread in Turkey is guaranteed fresh - a typical local shop will have four or five hot deliveries a day. I am hungry again.

As a boy I would be treated to tripe in vinegar from Huddersfield market. The white stomach-lining stuff was the least flavoursome. The best was the dark brown variety clearly shaped as something towards the end of the poor cow's food journey. Loads of flavour! Then I love vinegar too but, these days, only the finest malt.

Where were we? Talking about water? I can understand the U.S. expectation of water plonked on your table is much like the Mediterranean expectation of bread before ordering. In Greece there is traditionally a cover charge which is called 'bread'. It is not a charge for the bread but bread is expected when you sit down and before ordering. Is this the closest link between the US water habit and Europe? Is there usually a cover charge in the U.S.? There is certainly not in the UK but then we expect little and are long-suffering.

Fascinating!

The Turkish version has a flavour of garlic and mint. Then they always add juice from a lemon to serve and have it with several loaves of bread :). Even the bread in Turkey is guaranteed fresh - a typical local shop will have four or five hot deliveries a day. I am hungry again.

As a boy I would be treated to tripe in vinegar from Huddersfield market. The white stomach-lining stuff was the least flavoursome. The best was the dark brown variety clearly shaped as something towards the end of the poor cow's food journey. Loads of flavour! Then I love vinegar too but, these days, only the finest malt.

Where were we? Talking about water? I can understand the U.S. expectation of water plonked on your table is much like the Mediterranean expectation of bread before ordering. In Greece there is traditionally a cover charge which is called 'bread'. It is not a charge for the bread but bread is expected when you sit down and before ordering. Is this the closest link between the US water habit and Europe? Is there usually a cover charge in the U.S.? There is certainly not in the UK but then we expect little and are long-suffering.

There are no cover charges is Canada or the States.

Nice deflection from your kettle fixation. When all is said and done, it always comes down to the electric dome of death.

Fascinating!

There are no cover charges is Canada or the States.

Nice deflection from your kettle fixation. When all is said and done, it always comes down to the electric dome of death.

I'm afraid that despite your English protestations to being LM, you are all secretly HM -the absolute worst kinds.

I'm afraid that despite your English protestations to being LM, you are all secretly HM -the absolute worst kinds.

"High maintenance" versus "low maintenance" my friend!

'HM' would be expecting cabin kettles, or table water, to be provided free then whinging online that MSC is the line from hell for not doing so.

'HM' would be expecting cabin kettles, or table water, to be provided free then whinging online that MSC is the line from hell for not doing so.

I have seen "Shirley Valentine" many times. I know the truth about the UK.

Movies don't lie.

I have seen "Shirley Valentine" many times. I know the truth about the UK.

The Wallace and Grommit series are far more representative of the England I know. As are 'Kes', 'The Full Monty'/'Billy Elliot' (I can't tell them apart) or any of the Ealing comedies. 'Shirley Valentine' was before my time but was it not the film that 'Mamma Mia' was the Bollywood remake of?

Movies don't lie.

There we can agree.

The Wallace and Grommit series are far more representative of the England I know. As are 'Kes', 'The Full Monty'/'Billy Elliot' (I can't tell them apart) or any of the Ealing comedies. 'Shirley Valentine' was before my time but was it not the film that 'Mamma Mia' was the Bollywood remake of?

There we can agree.

It's funny - one of my most prized possessions is my "Have you seen this chicken" t-shirt that is the "wanted" poster of the evil penguin from "The Wrong Trousers". The reactions when i wear it range from confused bewilderment to actual offers to buy the shirt off my back! (Just what the world needs - another inappropriately shirtless less-than-buff 50 year old)

If you get a chance, you should see "Shirley Valentine" as it really does send up a myriad of English stereotypes.

It's funny - one of my most prized possessions is my "Have you seen this chicken" t-shirt that is the "wanted" poster of the evil penguin from "The Wrong Trousers". The reactions when i wear it range from confused bewilderment to actual offers to buy the shirt off my back! (Just what the world needs - another inappropriately shirtless less-than-buff 50 year old)

If you get a chance, you should see "Shirley Valentine" as it really does send up a myriad of English stereotypes.

Have to agree Shirley Valentine is a classic. Pauline Collins is brilliant as a bored middle aged Scouse housewife who is transformed by her first foreign holiday to Greece. Some of her fellow Brits are a load of xenophobic idiots who should have stayed at home. Some of our fellow Brits now aren't anymore enlightened when it comes to overseas travel.

Tears were rolling down my face the first time I saw it at the pictures (movies) and I still kill myself laughing when I see reruns.

Wallace & Gromit are fantastic too although I prefer Gromit!

Yes you're right of course - the islands not so much because their water is often brackish and nasty but in Athens it was always traditional that they provided you with a jug or a glass of (free) water when you sat down, especially in the height of summer, and perhaps now they don't as much but many still do. I still think it's a courteous thing to do.:)

I was first in Greece in 1976 and at least once a year on average since. I have visited around 200 of the 2000 plus Greek islands. I have thought hard and long with this contribution to this thread.

I do not believe I have never had 'free' water brought to the table in Greece. I would not expect free water and would be very surprised if it ever happened. Therefore, I would have at least a small recollection of this happening. I don't.

I spent a lot of time in Athens over many years - I never had a "jug or a glass of (free) water" ever. I have only ever seen this habit on my trips to the U.S.

This is not to criticise at all. But, maybe, suggest that some memories or expectations are leaning away from reality.

There is nothing wrong with getting your own tap water or paying for water if you can't be bothered yourself.

T.

Interesting reading. I thought this was going to be a whinge thread. So glad it's not.

I'm Aussie (please explain)-

What's "your" meaning of pants and a vest? I just thought it was trousers and a (well?) vest.

DO NOT come to Australia and ask a lady for a shag., You'll get slapped:eek:

And don't get started on thongs. haha. That has caused some stunned looks from Americans visiting Australia when the guide says you can't wear thongs in a restaurant.

I like a face washer and bring my own. When you travel you get used to things being different in different contries. In Vietnam you get a toothbrush in your room but no shampoo etc. I some Muslim countries they don't provide a plug for the sink.

When I booked on MSC I booked through an American company. When I boarded they gave me a water voucher free for each day. I had to sign for it. It said US citizen. My friends didn't get them but when they asked they got the vouchers. I like water with my meals.

I like the way you get water with your coffee in Italy too.

Best water I've had was in Dubrovnik. Straight from the fountain.

Oh dear. I didn't realise how British I was. Yes, I snook a travel immersion heater, my favourite large mug and Yorkshire tea bags into my cabin on the last cruise.

Genius. The "Everton" tea served isn't too bad and you can always order the free room service breakfast which (whisper it) came with actual real life orange juice. From an orange.

I don't know if this is an anomaly. I will test on the Preziosa and report back. But I will be bringing Yorkshire Tea and a heater too.....

moomoocow .... Our room service breakfast last Friday on the Opera came with the normal watered down rubbish orange,a full pot of hot water and one tea bag, while coffee for my other half came in a tall chrome pot that would have served four!

Genius. The "Everton" tea served isn't too bad and you can always order the free room service breakfast which (whisper it) came with actual real life orange juice. From an orange.

I don't know if this is an anomaly. I will test on the Preziosa and report back. But I will be bringing Yorkshire Tea and a heater too.....

That is a major anomaly in the space-time continuum! If fresh, from an actual fruit, juice is available on room service that is a lifestyle-changing revelation.

moomoocow .... Our room service breakfast last Friday on the Opera came with the normal watered down rubbish orange

So maybe it was a mistake? i will try room service breakfast on the first morning to 'test the juice'. As Amomondo has previously pointed out, you can order a pre-breakfast on room service then have the main in the MDR. It is good to start with real juice though.

Archived