Why can't North Americans live without 'iced water' at mealtimes?

Skipper Tim

I have tried and failed to understand it. It feels like half the protests, complaints and concerns on the MSC forum are about the lack of free 'iced water' at mealtimes. Now, I may have had iced water a couple of times in my life but it is certainly not anything I would ever expect.

I like my tea made in a certain way, but the moment I leave the confines of my home I would not expect it to be made the same way. Why do North Americans expect FREE 'ICED WATER' when out of their own home country?

Please somebody, explain it me.

It is not on the menu. Shut up.

Why do Europeans (and Brits... and Aussies... etc) endlessly complain about tipping - even when traveling in America? :D

My second Caribbean cruise in the 90s was fun. I turn up early wearing my black speedo thong for the Shag competition:cool:

I feel I have missed so much. How did you fare in the shag competition? I am pretty sure I would come bottom.

I don't think MSC have these activities. From memory, they were not on the Daily Program - at least not in English.

Why do Europeans (and Brits... and Aussies... etc) endlessly complain about tipping - even when traveling in America? :D

Because we tip for service over and above that expected. An expectation of tipping is illegal in the EU and there is a strong consensus that employers should pay their employees a 'living wage'. This is the law and the culture in Europe. We tip only for exceptional service. Any expectation otherwise is looked as by us as illegal and we may call the police before tipping for ordinary service.

Hope this helps.

Because we tip for service over and above that expected. An expectation of tipping is illegal in the EU and there is a strong consensus that employers should pay their employees a 'living wage'. This is the law and the culture in Europe. We tip only for exceptional service. Any expectation otherwise is looked as by us as illegal and we may call the police before tipping for ordinary service.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I totally understand the reasoning, but when in Rome do as the Romans do. ;) Or that is what I see from many posters that responded to your thread regarding Americans and ice water. :)

Oh, I totally understand the reasoning, but when in Rome do as the Romans do. ;) Or that is what I see from many posters that responded to your thread regarding Americans and ice water. :)

Good point. I have tried to expose my weaknesses and failings as the conversation has gone on.

However, on MSC, we are in Rome.

Good point. I have tried to expose my weaknesses and failings as the conversation has gone on.

However, on MSC, we are in Rome.

Unless you are in the Caribbean sailing from Florida! :D

As for your issue with Americans and ice water: I really don.t see what the big deal is! It is just water and ice. There are really worse things to worry about. I try to avoid bottled water as much as possible since it is a lot of plastic that just ends up with the garbage (if it is not recycled). The water out of the taps on ships have been perfectly OK for my so I don't see why they can't just serve that up to me instead of tap water trucked halfway around the world and that doesn't even taste that good.

Perbinder ... Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink ... :eek: unless you pay $2 for it ..... :D

Tim .... Maybe you could start a Kettle in every room petition of MSC ? oh but then people would have to use the Tap water!

Oh dear. I didn't realise how British I was. Yes, I snook a travel immersion heater, my favourite large mug and Yorkshire tea bags into my cabin on the last cruise. Is a "wash cloth" a flannel? If so, yes, guilty again.

Regaining my dignity, at least I don't expect these things to be provided and publicly moan about their absence after the event. I accept these are my weaknesses and their absence not those of the cruise line.

A little self-awareness is good manners. Too much is madness. Too little is ignorant. How to strike the balance?

Serious issues indeed.

A "wash cloth" is also a "face cloth" in North America. This is the true evil for us Canadians travelling in the UK and Europe - having to bring our own.

It is kind of funny how many people get their knickers in a twist (please note how this expression marks me firmly as a resident of the former British Empire) over the most inconsequential things on a cruise.

If you try a different cruise line to be different, don't be surprised when it's, well, different!

I am looking forward to my stay in the Yacht Club next year on the Divina.

Oh, and by the way .... I NEVER drink the water offered. It dilutes my wine and cocktails too much.

Dr C ... My Swedish friends brought over to the UK for me a bottle of Branvin Swedish Vodka (cannot be bought anywhere but in Sweden) along with a small box containing 8 small stone blocks and with the words "Scotch on the Rocks" on the front.

They explained that you put the little blocks in the freezer for an hour or so and then put one or two into your glass of Whisky, they do not use Ice as it dilutes the Whisky.

The blocks can also be put into Hot water to heat them up and then put them into a Tea or Coffee cup or mug to keep it hot ... play havoc with your teeth though as they are somewhat crunchy ... :eek:

Dr C ... My Swedish friends brought over to the UK for me a bottle of Branvin Swedish Vodka (cannot be bought anywhere but in Sweden) along with a small box containing 8 small stone blocks and with the words "Scotch on the Rocks" on the front.

They explained that you put the little blocks in the freezer for an hour or so and then put one or two into your glass of Whisky, they do not use Ice as it dilutes the Whisky.

The blocks can also be put into Hot water to heat them up and then put them into a Tea or Coffee cup or mug to keep it hot ... play havoc with your teeth though as they are somewhat crunchy ... :eek:

I have been given similar freezable contraptions (some sort of toxic gel encased in a likely leaky but bright coloured plastic) that you drop into drinks.

I just don't know - the Carmen Mirandaness of the plastic contrasts with the Ian McKellan of the Scotch.

I have tried and failed to understand it. It feels like half the protests, complaints and concerns on the MSC forum are about the lack of free 'iced water' at mealtimes. Now, I may have had iced water a couple of times in my life but it is certainly not anything I would ever expect.

I like my tea made in a certain way, but the moment I leave the confines of my home I would not expect it to be made the same way. Why do North Americans expect FREE 'ICED WATER' when out of their own home country?

Please somebody, explain it me.

It is not on the menu. Shut up.

"North Americans" Are you referring to citizens of Greenland, Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, Bermuda and the Caribbean Islands.:D That's a lot of peeps who want there ice water. Anyway just enjoying this tread.

I am sure you know but G&T is the quintessential English drink invented in the days of the British Empire. The gin was added to make the medicinal quinine more palatable. It is a regrettable sign of progress that such thinking is rare these days.

MSC however, as far as I know, do not carry 'slimline' (diet) tonic. So, by All Aboard's maxim, that is 140 fewer calories of 'shrapnel' bacon at breakfast. Perhaps we should make slimline tonic an achievable target of a Cruise Critics' request? I doubt we can do anything about the bacon.

Bacon was actually edible last month! Don't know if it's a change for this year or just the Sinfonia. The sausages were different too!

These are actual blocks of some sort of stone .... :) and are re usable over and over, no plastic to been seen anywhere.

Ah well in that case I want some of them. Hate my drinks getting diluted by ice, especially when it all melts....yuck!

And there's another difference between Europe and the US...ice (and the quantity thereof). First time I went to a bar in Phoenix (my brother lived there), I caused havoc when ordering my drink. Did I want a cocktail (which too me is something like a piña colada or a Mojito with wee umbrellas and a cherry), so I said no, I'd like a Gin and Tonic (didn't know that is a cocktail....here it is a spirit and mixer). the funny accent was already causing a bit of a stir and then I topped it by saying "no ice". Barman nearly collapsed! To ,ale him feel better, I agreedbto some but only 1 or 2 (meaning cubes) and had to almost leap across the counter when he picked up a scoop and was getting to dump a couple of shovels full in it!

Oh and then there was the time my jaw nearly nit the floor when my brother's American wife suggested I just wear pants and vestnto dinner as it was quite a casual place......

Same language, so ,Amy differences in meaning.

"North Americans" Are you referring to citizens of Greenland, Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, Bermuda and the Caribbean Islands.:D That's a lot of peeps who want there ice water. Anyway just enjoying this tread.

No just the US and Canada. Greenland belongs to Denmark, Bermuda is British, lots of Caribbean islands are either independent or belong to Europe. We'd class Central America and Mexico, as Central America not North America.

Still a lot of people though.

Oh and then there was the time my jaw nearly nit the floor when my brother's American wife suggested I just wear pants and vestnto dinner as it was quite a casual place......

Same language, so ,Amy differences in meaning.

Vests and pants we would certainly be arrested here - and rightly so!

I have been given similar freezable contraptions (some sort of toxic gel encased in a likely leaky but bright coloured plastic) that you drop into drinks.

I just don't know - the Carmen Mirandaness of the plastic contrasts with the Ian McKellan of the Scotch.

Dr. Cocktail, I think you may just have epitomised the style I aspire to - Carmen Miranda with a touch of Ian McKellan - OMG why did I not think of that before - I am on it now. Cruise Critic is not just informative but inspirational.

Dr. Cocktail, I think you may just have epitomised the style I aspire to - Carmen Miranda with a touch of Ian McKellan - OMG why did I not think of that before - I am on it now. Cruise Critic is not just informative but inspirational.

Close as I could get ...

kitty1_021410.jpg.895cc162afa2eeb00bb6624148083392.jpg

I am an American. Well 17 years in US.

I can live without free water, but why should I ? :)

I am accustomed to getting it in our local restaurants, so why not have it on the ships? Especially because all major American lines are providing it. Including MSC in Caribbeans. Yes, we had it on Poesia this year.

Besides honestly I do not believe bottled water is any better. Just sold for $ or Eu.

And what is a problem with providing it on the ship? It is a tap water which is available on the ship anyway. Just add ice and it is ready to be served.

By the way Americans are accustomed to paying tips and kids fares. Something that stirs many debates among non-Americans. So it is not like Americans are cheap. ;)

I like to drink water with my meals. If it's unavailable, I order iced tea or soda. I still prefer to have the water there though. It quenches thirst like no other drink.

I was very surprised during my first trip to Europe. The first country I visited was Germany. I sat down in a restaurant and ordered my meal with water. BLECH!!! I didn't make that mistake again.

I have just asked of there is squash available on celebrity and carnival and everyone keeps asking me what squash is. One even said "I love UK slang".

Do Americans not have squash or equivalent?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Squash the vegetable, or squash the game?

Archived