Alaska gifts for others (ie coworkers, neighbors)

emeltee

What are some items to look out for? Something that says Alaska?

Coworkers - what are some good inexpensive items one can bring back to the office? Food is always appreciated at my office; I know DH's office loves when he brings back food as well. However, at my office of mostly females, things such as embroidered bags from India or jewelry also have gone over well. (There is much more diversity at DH's office.)

Neighbors - these people will collect mail, newspaper for us, watch over the house, etc. - I was thinking of some sort of Salmon. What type should I look for?

Where should I look for these items? I'd like to try to purchase Alaska-made items, but I don't know what inexpensive items to be on the lookout for.

We'll be in Anchorage, Juneau, Skagway, & Ketchikan- in this order. If I can get my shopping done early in my trip, it would be fantastic. I'll have the most time in Anchorage & Ketchikan.

Get it in Ketchikan "The Salmon Capital of the World". There are two stores on Main St- one is Salmon Market and the other is Salmon, etc. We chose the latter one and had them send a case home- it was about $172 for 24 6 oz. cans of smoked Sockeye salmon. That includes the $20 delivery. We ordered it on Thursday, asked for them to ship it out Friday and it was delivered on Monday morning! We had it for dinner yesterday (just got back this past Sunday). I believe they said it was about 48 hrs. delivery. That case was HEAVY and I'm glad we didn't have to lug that around the airports! You can do the same with the foil packs of salmon too. Cans are the same thing and cheaper... We bought a couple of the ones in foil packs too and carried those.

I second Wild Berry Products in Anchorage. They have all sorts of Alaska made gifts, candy, jams, some canned meats, clothes, etc.. Some of their stuff is not made in Alaska but has a Alaska theme. I love getting some of the candies like the chocolate covered cherries.

Overall we found the best prices at the Alaska Shirt Company -- you will find them in Skagway and Juneau. 100's of things to choose from like kitchen magnets, dish towel sets, jewelry, shirts, jackets, hats, etc. A little bit of everyone.

For salmon ... oh my gosh, we went to the Chinook & Company store in Ketchikan (up on Creek street ... to the right of Dolly's House and up a few doors). They have the BEST canned salmon we have ever eaten. They will ship directly to you also. We had a 1/2 case shipped to us. It was ordered on Sunday at their shop, Monday was a holiday. She shipped priority mail and we had it Saturday morning when we picked up our mail at the post office. I've made salmon balls with it, but it is good right out of the can too. She had samples when we went into the store. I must admit the sample is what roped us in. It tastes just like fresh salmon and is a deep rich color.

http://www.chinookandcompany.com/

It was so nice not to have to bring anything home, but have it waiting for us when we got back. I highly recommend this store & product. She has jams and other local products too. Didn't try any of them, so can't give an opinion.

Here's the salmon ball recipe I used. It can be cut in half easily. I purchased the 7.5 oz cans of salmon ... don't worry about them not being 8 oz. it won't affect the recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/salmon-ball/

Not sure what you might be looking for but if you are in Anchorage on a Sat or Sunday, they have a craft and food market across the street from the Hilton Hotel on 2rd Ave. Open 10-8 PM and most things are Alaskan made or Native made. Another thing that is distinctly Alaskan are Ulu knives...Great for cooks...all prices..just make sure it was made in Alaska and not China. Food is great at the market also....cheapest breakfast, lunch or dinner in the city.....

Thanks for the information about bringing back tins of salmon.

I don't usually eat salmon from a tin. I

Is there a different taste from the tins of salmon we can buy at home compared to the Alaska salmon tins?

Thanks for the tips about bringing back tins of salmon.

Is there a different taste from the tins of salmon we can buy at home compared to the Alaska salmon tins?

I went "salmon shopping" in Ketchikan a few years ago and the guy there gave me the advice that the smoked salmon in the cans is the same as the smoked salmon in the foil, but less expensive. I have done a lot of studying about salmon and some wild Alaskan salmon is actually processed in China or by Chinese workers on processing ships in international waters. They don't even have to label it as anything from China or outside the USA. My heart was broken! I want my salmon to be 100% USA, so that is why I want to treat myself to the salmon in Ketchikan. I'm not saying that other ports and Alaskan towns don't have great salmon. I just like telling folks that this salmon is from "The Salmon Capital of the World".

The salmon that my posting is referring to is smoked wild, Alaskan sockeye rather than just canned sockeye salmon and the price is a little higher. I have a good local source for my regular canned salmon, so I only buy the smoked product while in Alaska. Personally, I would go only to the stores specializing in salmon. You will see higher priced stuff in foil or in cans at any store and other ports. The Taku smoked salmon was priced much higher in Juneau. Also, the prices you get at the stores is cheaper than the prices listed on the store's website.

Thanks for the information about bringing back tins of salmon.

First the salmon from Chinook & Company is stamped on the tin:

"Alaska Salmon USA". The prices on their website is the same as what we paid in the store I'm positive.

I've never liked salmon directly from the can. It always had to be mixed in with something else. The Chinook & Company salmon tasted so good that YES I would eat it directly from the can.

As with tuna, I drained the salmon after opening. Then I spread the salmon out on a large plate and remove the spine bones and the skin. Very easily done with a fork. Then I flake with a fork. It can be eaten as is, added to a sauce, made into a sandwich ... ideas are endless. Our favorite as been the salmon ball. I remember my sister used to make them at the holidays and covered them in sliced almonds.

What are some items to look out for? Something that says Alaska?

Coworkers - what are some good inexpensive items one can bring back to the office? Food is always appreciated at my office; I know DH's office loves when he brings back food as well. However, at my office of mostly females, things such as embroidered bags from India or jewelry also have gone over well. (There is much more diversity at DH's office.)

Neighbors - these people will collect mail, newspaper for us, watch over the house, etc. - I was thinking of some sort of Salmon. What type should I look for?

Where should I look for these items? I'd like to try to purchase Alaska-made items, but I don't know what inexpensive items to be on the lookout for.

We'll be in Anchorage, Juneau, Skagway, & Ketchikan- in this order. If I can get my shopping done early in my trip, it would be fantastic. I'll have the most time in Anchorage & Ketchikan.

We like to bring back some of the "glacier" soap and everyone seems to like receiving it. And, it lasts a long time! Both the Glacier Smoothie and the Denali Dreams soaps are great. The Glacier Smoothie is available in Juneau and we've found the Denali Dreams soaps in lots of the gift shops in the ports.

http://denalidreams.com/home.htm

http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/

We like to bring back some of the "glacier" soap and everyone seems to like receiving it. And, it lasts a long time! Both the Glacier Smoothie and the Denali Dreams soaps are great. The Glacier Smoothie is available in Juneau and we've found the Denali Dreams soaps in lots of the gift shops in the ports.

http://denalidreams.com/home.htm

http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/

I emailed Glacier Smoothie to ask about other locations besides Juneau: in Ketchikan on Creek Street at Sam McGee's and in Skagway at Dejon Delights or Dedman"s

Carved items (totems and figurines, like bears, otters, totem poles, dolls, cribbage set, etc.) - carved from all kinds of material (horn, bone, stone, wood). Be sure to look for the Made in Alaska symbol if that matters to you.

Native blanket-toss pincushion

Musk-ox yarn

Ulu knife

Xmas ornaments

........... to name a few. ;)

I think the glacier soap might be a hit with the ladies at my office. I think DH will stick with food for his office. For our neighbors - I think we'll go for salmon.

Now I know where to shop. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Not sure what you might be looking for but if you are in Anchorage on a Sat or Sunday, they have a craft and food market across the street from the Hilton Hotel on 2rd Ave. Open 10-8 PM and most things are Alaskan made or Native made. Another thing that is distinctly Alaskan are Ulu knives...Great for cooks...all prices..just make sure it was made in Alaska and not China. Food is great at the market also....cheapest breakfast, lunch or dinner in the city.....

This would have been nice to go to. Unfortunately, we won't be in Anchorage over the weekend. I do want to get an Ulu knife for myself but not for others.

This would have been nice to go to. Unfortunately, we won't be in Anchorage over the weekend. I do want to get an Ulu knife for myself but not for others.

Just a reminder with a Ulu knife that they may take it away from you as you board back on the ship. It is returned at the end of the cruise. Also do not put in your carry on luggage if you are flying. It will be confiscated for sure as a possible weapon.

I got a gorgeous Ulu knife in 2006 when we were in Alaska. It made it home safe and sound. It is more of an art piece tho for me. I used it a couple of times, then decided to display it instead as it is hand carved.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/03/26/ulu-knives-from-alaska/

Ulu_0003-1024x768.jpg

Ulu_0001-1024x768.jpg

The red you are seeing towards the bottom of the blade is a reflection of my fingers holding the camera. I just noticed it. :D

The square piece is a stand for display. Blade fits into it.

I bought a box of 10 half bars of glacier silt soap in Juneau for $40 or $4 per bar. The little shop is very close to where the ships dock. Nice lady - was glad to support local merchant.

That is definitely more in the range I want to spend for my coworkers. Thanks for letting me know they have half bars available.

When you board there are coupon books available good at all the ports. You can get a variety of gifts and buy one get one free offers, we have purchased hand carved Alaska pocket knives and the ULA KNIFE is a great gift for neighbors and friends and something they can use mine sits on the kitchen sink and I sue it to chop small items instead of getting knife out. A lot of shops offer 2 for 5.00 and sometimes cheaper. You will love the coupon book. And for the chocolate lovers bring them a bar of Alaska Chocolate 99c at grocery store in Ketchikan. My DH loves to give his guys a joke gift from Red Dog Saloon in Juneau.

Have a GREAT CRUISE! Sweet of you to thanks those helping you out.

Ketchikan definitely had the best prices, so if you see something you like there, buy it. You won't find it cheaper anywhere else. I still use my Ulu knife and cutting board.

If you have any quilters that you need to buy something for, there are several awesome quilt shops. Pick up just a few patterns, or some of the fabric as well. There is a post office in downtown Juneau. After I bought a bunch of fabric, I packed it up in one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes to mail home. Bring your own packaging tape and a sharpie. I think I shipped at least 3 boxes home on our last trip to Alaska.

I forget what the black jewelry is called. If you like it, buy it in Ketchican. It is extremely expensive to buy anything in Juneau. Skagway was a little bit pricier than Ketchikan.

When you board there are coupon books available good at all the ports. You can get a variety of gifts and buy one get one free offers, we have purchased hand carved Alaska pocket knives and the ULA KNIFE is a great gift for neighbors and friends and something they can use mine sits on the kitchen sink and I sue it to chop small items instead of getting knife out. A lot of shops offer 2 for 5.00 and sometimes cheaper. You will love the coupon book. And for the chocolate lovers bring them a bar of Alaska Chocolate 99c at grocery store in Ketchikan. My DH loves to give his guys a joke gift from Red Dog Saloon in Juneau.

Have a GREAT CRUISE! Sweet of you to thanks those helping you out.

These coupon books are no longer being given out at all ports for all cruise lines. You can check their web site to see if they will be given out for your sailing, and if not, order one online or download a PDF copy.

http://www.destinationalaska.com/

Archived