Main dining room-what time is best?

How will the wait-staff know that their tips are paid?

Ive read often around here that the staff is given a list of those who have prepaid gratuities so they know probably even before you board the ship :)

You may have to ask Guest Services for envelopes if you want to leave extra as I dont think they are automatically giving out envelopes anymore since they have went to the new system of daily charges for gratutities.

One advantage of late dining is that there is often live music in the Main Dining Room for the first half hour or so. Independence had a string trio, and Jewel had a piano and violin duo every night. They didn't perform at all during the first seating.

One advantage of late dining is that there is often live music in the Main Dining Room for the first half hour or so. Independence had a string trio, and Jewel had a piano and violin duo every night. They didn't perform at all during the first seating.

I suppose it's specific to ships, but we have always had traditional early dining, and have had violin or piano player playing on ships like Voyager and Mariner.

We always do My Time dining and just walk up and usually get in - very rarely do we have to wait - but if that happens we just go for a drink and wait - which is what we would do on a land based restaurant as well and heck we are on VACATION...

I prefer having them add the tips on my Credit Card - I don't have to worry about carrying money around...

Ive read often around here that the staff is given a list of those who have prepaid gratuities...

Yes, I can confirm this as I have seen "the list". :) I wasn't snooping (really, I wasn't!) but we did pass our steward's cart one day and the list was on top of his items - it mentioned all who had prepaid and their cabin numbers.

I would assume wait staff get the same list. :)

Normally the best time is 6:18.

Really...if you are not doing My Time, there are two set times for dinner. Pick one .

we prefer the late siting esp. if you have Ports of call. You can relax have a drink and get changed for dinner.

Yes, I can confirm this as I have seen "the list". :) I wasn't snooping (really, I wasn't!) but we did pass our steward's cart one day and the list was on top of his items - it mentioned all who had prepaid and their cabin numbers.

I would assume wait staff get the same list. :)

Hmm I wonder if they cater more to the rooms that haven't prepaid their gratuities.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When we were on the independence last March we had my time dining. We were glad we had that as we needed to move our dinner times so we could see the shows. One thing to consider is if you book it the night before as we did you can probably get the same waiters. We had the same waiters all week and it was really nice as we could expand on previous conversations(they went above and beyond for us too and we treated them accordingly).

We are also going on the allure but leaving in December. We have pulled a old cruise compass that a previous poster put up and were able to figure out what we intend on doing. It may be a good idea to look for a updated one for yourself early in the fall to plan out your trip fully. There is way too much to do when you get onboard these ships so it is best to have an idea of what you are in for. I have a spreadsheet just for stuff while we are on the ship and have not even started to plan our shore excursions stuff yet:rolleyes:. We are going to base our trip this way until we confirm our show times when they are avaliable online.

Here is a link to maybe help you out from another posters compass(eastern). Hope it works(have not posted one here before)

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4ERZw5oOFq1Mi1fUXgtdy15VjA/edit?pli=1#docId=0B4ERZw5oOFq1ZnU4SVY1TV8zTE0

Hope this helps.:)

From Simcoe Ontario. Grew up in Wasaga Beach.

Hmm I wonder if they cater more to the rooms that haven't prepaid their gratuities.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It could work both ways.

They might treat you better because they like that you have paid already.

Or they might work on you to make sure you do tip.

I am on traditional dining but chose to take them off,to make it easier to make the final payment date.

I have been told that everyday the tips are added to my seapass account instead.

So they are still getting them but on a daily basis.

It doesn't matter how i pay them they are still getting them.

If there is a list i cant see any reason why its even necessary?

I think its a blinking cheek to be honest.

Just out of curiosity - do they usually have the same number of people at early seating as they do later? And is the MDR typically packed during early seating, half full, etc.? I would think between Windjammer and specialty, it cannot always be full, right?

We had early traditional 6pm dining on the Jewel 3 weeks ago, and the violinist and pianist DID perform soft music throughout mealtime EVERY night. Same on our Explorer and Mariner cruise.

Since we eat at home between 6 & 6:30, we stay with oiur schedule, this gives us plenty of time to make the shows. Now granted we haven't sailed on the Oasis or Allure yet so when we do may have to adjust. Since we all may have differant dining hours at home, I say go with what time your comfortable with for eating dinner.

Just finished my first cruise on Mariner of the Seas, and I can confirm they do leave an envelope (or two!) in each stateroom for the gratuities even if you have pre-paid all.

Ive read often around here that the staff is given a list of those who have prepaid gratuities so they know probably even before you board the ship :)

You may have to ask Guest Services for envelopes if you want to leave extra as I dont think they are automatically giving out envelopes anymore since they have went to the new system of daily charges for gratutities.

We had early traditional 6pm dining on the Jewel 3 weeks ago, and the violinist and pianist DID perform soft music throughout mealtime EVERY night. Same on our Explorer and Mariner cruise.

That's interesting. On our May 2nd cruise on Jewel they were performing in Schooner Bar during the early seating and the MDR during the late seating. I guess that was the exception, not the norm.

We used to only do the early dining. Now we prefer Mytime, and usually just walk in, with little to no wait. Sometimes we do make a reservation, if we have some particular event we are wanting to attend.

If Mytime is full, we now prefer late dining so we don't have to rush around getting ready so early.

I actually very much prefer having the prepaid gratuities; so much easier. We usually do tip some extra to our steward, usually not to the waiters unless there is extraordinary service, as in when we took 7 grandkids on a cruise and the wait staff were absolutely superb with the kids.

I have a slightly off topic. I just read in another review that the MDR was also open for breakfast and lunch - which I guess I should have assumed it was, but as I have not taken my first cruise yet and I have never seen any threads about this, I guess I assumed it was only open for dinner. I am guessing that breakfast and lunch are just open dining - show up when you want?

I have a slightly off topic. I just read in another review that the MDR was also open for breakfast and lunch - which I guess I should have assumed it was, but as I have not taken my first cruise yet and I have never seen any threads about this, I guess I assumed it was only open for dinner. I am guessing that breakfast and lunch are just open dining - show up when you want?

Yes, show up when you want. Lunch in the MDR usually only on sea days.

We are also going on the allure but leaving in December. We have pulled a old cruise compass that a previous poster put up and were able to figure out what we intend on doing. It may be a good idea to look for a updated one for yourself early in the fall to plan out your trip fully. There is way too much to do when you get onboard these ships so it is best to have an idea of what you are in for. I have a spreadsheet just for stuff while we are on the ship and have not even started to plan our shore excursions stuff yet:rolleyes:. We are going to base our trip this way until we confirm our show times when they are avaliable online.

One thing that is great about cruising is . . . everyone's experience can be their own!

You see, we are just the opposite of above. We do not want to see the Cruise Compass (ship's daily newspaper) until on the ship. We like to peruse it the night before and decide what to do the next day. We plan excursions before we cruise, but that is about it.

One thing that is great about cruising is . . . everyone's experience can be their own!

You see, we are just the opposite of above. We do not want to see the Cruise Compass (ship's daily newspaper) until on the ship. We like to peruse it the night before and decide what to do the next day. We plan excursions before we cruise, but that is about it.

I used to enjoy the surprise factor however this ship has too much going on at different times. We just want to have a framework for our trip and avoid missing anything just because of a conflicting dinner reservation(we were able to switch them on the last cruise but don't want to have to on the next one). I will not look at any pictures though so reading others reviews gets tricky as a lot of cc reviews have pics. We are really looking forward to our trip and may need a vacation from our vacation by the time it is all done:D.

From Simcoe Ontario. Grew up in Wasaga Beach.

Wasaga beach is a nice place. Been there a few times and enjoyed it. I have lived in one area and never strayed from it. It is nice here except for the snowy winters. All the more reason to cruise more often:D

That's me too. I actually don't want to know the daily schedule or meals way ahead of time--I like finding out the night before.

Wasaga beach is a nice place. Been there a few times and enjoyed it. I have lived in one area and never strayed from it. It is nice here except for the snowy winters. All the more reason to cruise more often:D

I agree cruising is better than shovelling so now.

Archived