Everything quantum!!!!!!

Posted: Jul 24, 2013 12:25 PM EDT Updated: Jul 24, 2013 6:18 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) - The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on Wednesday gave its support to a plan that would allow 1 of the world's largest cruise ships to sail out of Bayonne.

The agency's board of commissioners voted to approve a plan for Royal Caribbean to redevelop part of Bayonne's Cape Liberty Cruise Port. The redevelopment is aimed at accommodating Royal Caribbean's new Quantum of the Seas cruise ship scheduled to debut in the fall of 2014. The ship can carry 4,180 passengers.

Royal Caribbean would develop a new terminal and parking deck on the site, Port Authority commerce director Richard Larrabee said at the monthly board meeting. Larrabee said the agency, which acquired the Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal in 2010, would lose about $1 million a year in rent but would offset that with its share of passenger and parking revenue tied to the new ship.

Passenger volume is predicted to rise by 25% to 600,000 per year, according to Port Authority deputy executive director Bill Baroni. Larrabee said he expected revenues in 2015 to surpass what the Port Authority would have realized without the redevelopment.

Royal Caribbean would fund the project in conjunction with the city of Bayonne, which would issue $70 million in bonds. Construction is scheduled to begin this summer and be completed by next fall.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published

I am so looking forward to this ship. I just hope she will not have the same over crowed sun deck issues that the NCL Breakaway seems to have and not having enought lounge space. I trust RCCL though and I'm sure they will have a great layout.:)

I am beginning to wonder if it will be possible that with this new terminal, they could also fit the 3rd Oasis class vessel here. I know it is probably unlikely but it would be cool to have a few cruises out of this part of the east coast on a ship like that! Would make it awesome for all of us living up here that hate the airfare!

i am beginning to wonder if it will be possible that with this new terminal, they could also fit the 3rd oasis class vessel here. I know it is probably unlikely but it would be cool to have a few cruises out of this part of the east coast on a ship like that! Would make it awesome for all of us living up here that hate the airfare!

agreed!

I am beginning to wonder if it will be possible that with this new terminal, they could also fit the 3rd Oasis class vessel here. I know it is probably unlikely but it would be cool to have a few cruises out of this part of the east coast on a ship like that! Would make it awesome for all of us living up here that hate the airfare!

Oasis and allure are not cold weather ships.

The Aqua theater would be closed/not used one to two days both ways when temps fall. The pools on open decks would also be closed/not used. This will be a waste of money for them and some angry gress who do not get to see the shows. Now if it goes there is the late spring, summer and/or early fall it might work.

Edited by CaptData

The Aqua theater would be closed/not used one to two days both ways when temps fall. The pools on open decks would also be closed/not used. This will be a waste of money for them and some angry gress who do not get to see the shows. Now if it goes there is the late spring, summer and/or early fall it might work.

More likely TA -The MED. Maybe The Baltic -TA . She is not a Ocean Liner

Oasis and allure are not cold weather ships.

Last I checked, we haven't seen any snow here during the Summer. Maybe Oasis class ships could sail from here during May - September months.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Last I checked, we haven't seen any snow here during the Summer. Maybe Oasis class ships could sail from here during May - September months.

Lol!!! Thank you, I was thinking the exact same thing! :p

But really, I said the 3rd Oasis class ship, did I say Oasis or Allure? No! The reason I say the 3rd one that is currently being built is because they can modify parts of the ship to accommodate the weather. Now that is probably not likely so just like "Overtyme" said, it is perfect weather up here from May - September.

The shows aren't even an issue...I believe the show in the Aqua Theater is only two nights of the vacation so they would simply push the show back to two days when it is in the Caribbean.

Really it is not an issue to put one of these ships up here, cold weather ship or not.

But really, I said the 3rd Oasis class ship, did I say Oasis or Allure? No! The reason I say the 3rd one that is currently being built is because they can modify parts of the ship to accommodate the weather. Now that is probably not likely so just like "Overtyme" said, it is perfect weather up here from May - September.

The shows aren't even an issue...I believe the show in the Aqua Theater is only two nights of the vacation so they would simply push the show back to two days when it is in the Caribbean.

Really it is not an issue to put one of these ships up here, cold weather ship or not.

While Royal Caribbean has not said anything about a home port for the third Oasis class, I'm putting my money on San Juan. I read not too long ago so etching about renovations beginning at San Juan to accommodate larger vessels requiring a deep water port. Hmmmmmm.

While Royal Caribbean has not said anything about a home port for the third Oasis class, I'm putting my money on San Juan. I read not too long ago so etching about renovations beginning at San Juan to accommodate larger vessels requiring a deep water port. Hmmmmmm.

I know this is going to be a destination for Quantum, maybe they are doing that to accommodate visits here from the 3rd O class or Quantum? I have a hard time believing they would home port a ship like this in San Juan but I guess you never know.

As mentioned above all the pools would be useless during cold months. No pools are closed in or heated on oasis class ships. Not going to happen. There is as much chance of and oasis class sailing out of NJ as quantum sailing out of Florida. None.

They don't modify a class ship out of no where on a new build. Changing the structure of the ship to suddenly make things indoors now would be a whole new class ship. Not going to happen.

The third oasis will go to PC where they have already started renovations to accommodate the ship.

Funny how the argument everyone used as to why quantum will be in NJ (cold weather) suddenly gets thrown out the window with oasis. It's fun to dream but the real world says ain't going to happen

They don't modify a class ship out of no where on a new build. Changing the structure of the ship to suddenly make things indoors now would be a whole new class ship. Not going to happen.

The third oasis will go to PC where they have already started renovations to accommodate the ship.

Funny how the argument everyone used as to why quantum will be in NJ (cold weather) suddenly gets thrown out the window with oasis. It's fun to dream but the real world says ain't going to happen

Maybe I'm missing something. They reposition ships all the time. Take the European Itineraries for example.

They only sail out of there during the Summer Months.

Why not position the 3rd Oasis Class ship to sail during the warm weather months, out of NJ, and then out of other places the rest of the time?

Also, I wouldn't exactly call the Explorer class a cold-weather ship, and it sails out of New Jersey, currently.

I think the renovations are for a stop not a home port.

Are there any hight limitations due to bridges sailing in and out of NJ? Quantum Class is 16 decks high plus smoke stack and Oasis is 18 decks high plus the smoke stacks. Just curious as a have never been to NJ yet.

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge, and the Great Belt Bridge all share a common clearance height that has become a fairly standard maximum height for modern ships. The Oasis class ships feature a telescopic funnel that allows for them to be lowered in order to pass under the bridges. This allows her to dock in NJ and was required for here to even make it out of the ship yard that built her. The Quantum of the Seas seems to be about the same height as a Freedom/Voyager Class ship (more decks but they occupy non numbered areas and open space on the other classes, the funnel is also stubbier) so a special funnel isn't required.

Oh really? Last time I looked, Navigator and Mariner of the Seas were in modified form from the other Voyager class ships. It can be done, its not like they are going to be adding new venues, lol! Adding more glass to fully enclose the solarium would make it a new class? :rolleyes: Where's Explorers indoor pools?

So I don't mean to sound rude but what's the big deal? We are just talking about how cool it would be, no one said it was going to happen. Oh and stop talking about the cold weather ships, we keep telling you it would be good for the summer and then have her reposition for the winter!

Again, it was just an idea for the summer months!

I think the renovations are for a stop not a home port.

That is correct, I definitely don't think there is a market for that size of a ship to be home ported there.

Maybe I'm missing something. They reposition ships all the time. Take the European Itineraries for example.

They only sail out of there during the Summer Months.

Why not position the 3rd Oasis Class ship to sail during the warm weather months, out of NJ, and then out of other places the rest of the time?

Also, I wouldn't exactly call the Explorer class a cold-weather ship, and it sails out of New Jersey, currently.

Couldn't have said it better!

Edited by swim13

I personally wouldn't make that bet on San Juan, but that's just me. :cool: