Everything quantum!!!!!!

Sounds like you had a bad day.:rolleyes:

Several on this post in particular are always having a bad day.:eek:

You can hide them by clicking on their Name / Handle on the left hand side

When their Name/ Handle Profile comes up

Click on User Lists and

on the drop down list click on Add to Ignore List

Confirm when new window pops up

Easy Peasy way to get rid of certain people ( including me ?? :o ) on these posts

Where did you hear something about August 5th?

August 5th has been listed as the official Keel Laying day by Meyer Werft. It's not necessarily going to be a public day as the steel cutting ceremony usually is public but Royal Caribbean kept that a secret for a while.

August 5th has been listed as the official Keel Laying day by Meyer Werft. It's not necessarily going to be a public day as the steel cutting ceremony usually is public but Royal Caribbean kept that a secret for a while.

Ahhhh, okay that makes sense. Can't wait, very soon! :D

I'm hoping for some pics. Maybe a short video. Or at least a webcam update at the yard

Quote:

Originally Posted by K1200S

Max beam on Quantum is listed at 136 feet which less the Voyager class, Freedom class, and Oasis class. I would have thought it would be wider.

I think part of the issue limiting the max beam on Quantum is shipyard. Ships built at Meyer Werft, Papenburg can only be up to a certain max beam due to the size of the building dock in Hall 6. Secondly they have to fit in the first set of locks out to the River Elms. If you email Meyer Werft they will tell you the max size ship they can build. I did the same thing before but don't recall what the numbers were.

To add to the note I sent earlier I found the email I received from Meyer Wefrt a while back, August 2012 on a similar question I had.

"thanks for your E-Mail and your interest in our company.

The maximum ship beam that can be built at our yard is 45 meters and the maximum length about 482 meters. We can build ships with a maximum tonnage of 180.000 gt."

Approx 3.28 ft = 1 meter if I remember correctly.

Hope this is helpful

I think part of the issue limiting the max beam on Quantum is shipyard. Ships built at Meyer Werft, Papenburg can only be up to a certain max beam due to the size of the building dock in Hall 6. Secondly they have to fit in the first set of locks out to the River Elms. If you email Meyer Werft they will tell you the max size ship they can build. I did the same thing before but don't recall what the numbers were.

You are 100% right, the dry dock can't handle anything wider and I completely ignored that in my post about the beam.

I don't recall the beam on the Breakaway, I'm sure someone does, but if you watched that float down the river--it BARELY made it through, so I'm guessing whatever size they did on Breakaway is probably the max they can to get it out of there. My hat is off to the Captain and crew sailing those huge new ships out of there with such little room (almost none) for error. If you've ever tried to dock a boat in a tight spot in a slip at a marina, you can only be in awe of these guys with these huge vessels.

I don't know, people have mentioned Southampton. I think these ships are made for cold ports so it would make sense to keep them up somewhere North. We'll have to wait and see!

I agree. It makes no sence porting a ship built for colder climates in Florida. QOS does not have the large outdoor deck space that the other classes have, even with the retractable roof. Southampton makes sence to me and so do cruises to Alaska. The NCL Getaway and also Breakaway are warm weather ships, which surprised me that they ported Breakaway in NY all year round.

I don't recall the beam on the Breakaway, I'm sure someone does, but if you watched that float down the river--it BARELY made it through, so I'm guessing whatever size they did on Breakaway is probably the max they can to get it out of there. My hat is off to the Captain and crew sailing those huge new ships out of there with such little room (almost none) for error. If you've ever tried to dock a boat in a tight spot in a slip at a marina, you can only be in awe of these guys with these huge vessels.

The beam on Breakaway is 39.7M and for Quantum 41M. The max beam is 45M. When you go back and look at the Breakaway Elms River conveyance what was new just before the locks is the addition of bumpers with orange rollers. This helps to keep the vessel in the right position among other things I am sure.

See Breakaway picture 16 of 55 from the attached link by Andres Depping.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=284&pid=9222#top_display_media

Are there any hight limitations due to bridges sailing in and out of NJ? Quantum Class is 16 decks high plus smoke stack and Oasis is 18 decks high plus the smoke stacks. Just curious as a have never been to NJ yet.

I believe they are able to build smoke stacks that can be lowered for that reason.

Edited by Irene7

nope you're all wrong. The 3rd oasis ship is coming to california to do rotating cruises from mexico and hawaii and this is confirmed through my cabin steward husband sister who has a nephew that's the brother of janitor that works in the executive boardroom at royal.

Sent using the cruise critic forums app

lolol!

If the 3rd Oasis ship comes to NJ, that would be great! But I'm thinking it would only be seasonally, due to the cold Winter and early Spring.

I hope they try it for at least one season! I mean I really can't think it would hurt the company in any way, I bet all sailings would fill fast!! Ahh I am just imagining it now! RCI are you listening?!!!

There is still no quantumoftheseas.com, I loved going on allureoftheseas.com or oasisoftheseas.com when they were being built, lots of videos and picture updates. Maybe that will change once we have a keel laying.

I believe they are able to build smoke stacks that came be lowered for that reason.

Yes I have seen those on Oasis and Allure, and how they were utilized going under the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark. Assuming the Verrazano bridge has the same clearance or better it would be doable. Remember when it was done in Denmark there were other factors that had to be considered (I am sure you saw the video with Capt Wrights commentary passing under the Great Belt bridge). Still it is not impossible.

Yes I have seen those on Oasis and Allure, and how they were utilized going under the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark. Assuming the Verrazano bridge has the same clearance or better it would be doable. Remember when it was done in Denmark there were other factors that had to be considered (I am sure you saw the video with Capt Wrights commentary passing under the Great Belt bridge). Still it is not impossible.

Clearance below bridge:

Great Belt Bridge: 65 m

Verrazano Bridge: 69.5 m

Definitely doable. I learned on the all access tour that they are one of a kind and allow them to clear the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark. I of course watched that video from RCI, I thought it was incredible! Now I believe it is somewhat of a process to lower and raise them but I bet the technology is available now to where they could easily do it on a weekly basis. Maybe that's why it took so long to order the 3rd? We will just have to wait and see!

Clearance below bridge:

Great Belt Bridge: 65 m

Verrazano Bridge: 69.5 m

Definitely doable. I learned on the all access tour that they are one of a kind and allow them to clear the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark. I of course watched that video from RCI, I thought it was incredible! Now I believe it is somewhat of a process to lower and raise them but I bet the technology is available now to where they could easily do it on a weekly basis. Maybe that's why it took so long to order the 3rd? We will just have to wait and see!

Thank for sharing. That's great then. With an additional clearance of approximately 15ft they may not have to lower the smoke stacks.

I will do the all access tour in about three weeks when I sail Oasis again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K1200S

Max beam on Quantum is listed at 136 feet which less the Voyager class, Freedom class, and Oasis class. I would have thought it would be wider.

To add to the note I sent earlier I found the email I received from Meyer Wefrt a while back, August 2012 on a similar question I had.

"thanks for your E-Mail and your interest in our company.

The maximum ship beam that can be built at our yard is 45 meters and the maximum length about 482 meters. We can build ships with a maximum tonnage of 180.000 gt."

Approx 3.28 ft = 1 meter if I remember correctly.

Hope this is helpful

RC has the Voyager and Freedom class ships dimensions wrong all over the place. Different sites list the beam as much as 180 ft. It's all wrong. The Beam at the water line (which is what counts) is 126 ft for Voyager and Freedom class ships. The larger numbers are the width at the overhang from the pool deck or the bridge wings.

Quantum at 134 ft at the waterline is wider than the Voyager and Freedom class.

It has bugged me that a ship with an additional 8 ft of width won't have a traditional royal promenade as we have had on the Voyager and Freedom class.

RC has the Voyager and Freedom class ships dimensions wrong all over the place. Different sites list the beam as much as 180 ft. It's all wrong. The Beam at the water line (which is what counts) is 126 ft for Voyager and Freedom class ships. The larger numbers are the width at the overhang from the pool deck or the bridge wings.

Quantum at 134 ft at the waterline is wider than the Voyager and Freedom class.

It has bugged me that a ship with an additional 8 ft of width won't have a traditional royal promenade as we have had on the Voyager and Freedom class.

You are correct about the data posted. Even Ship Parade seems to have conflicting data. I dont think the Voyager class has the same beam as the Freedom Class as they show it.

Quantum does seem to be narrower especially on the higher decks and mid ship excluding the humps. My guess is at least on deck 5 the life boats take up a lot of space sitting on the deck due to new regulations. So that makes deck 5 a little more narrow in "useable" space than deck 4. The bridge wings we all know cannot be as wide as the Freedom Class since it has to depart the building Hall (yes they could make the entrance bigger I suppose). Max beam per Meyer Werft is 45M or 147ft (I think this is at the water line).

Below from Ship parade. http://www.shipparade.com/

Freedom of the Seas

Owner/Operator:

Royal Caribbean International

Year built:

Rebuilt:

-

Builder:

Aker Yards, Turku, Finland

Former names:

-

Gross Tonnage

Length:

339.0 m (1,115 ft)

Beam:

38.6 m (127.0 ft)

Passengers (normal):

Passengers (maximum):

Crew:

Service speed:

22.0 kn

Sister Ships:

Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Owner/Operator:

Royal Caribbean International

Year built:

Rebuilt:

-

Builder:

Kvaerner MASA Yards, Turku

Former names:

-

Gross Tonnage

Length:

311.1 m (1,020.6 ft)

Beam:

38.6 m (155.5 ft)

Passengers (normal):

Passengers (maximum):

Crew:

Service speed:

22.0 knots

Sister Ships:

Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas

Just another reason for PC to have the third oasis class. Not ever having to worry about raising or lowering the stacks just to get in and out of port. Oasis and allure sail pretty much sold out year round. They would have zero issues selling a third one out year round in PC. no reason to move a ship of that size around annually. They would keep third oasis there year round and start rotating the other ships out during the seasons. Just like ft lauderdale. And if all thing pan out just like quantum. They all sail year round from their home ports.

If you all start wishing upon a star now you may get the 4th oasis in NJ.

Just another reason for PC to have the third oasis class. Not ever having to worry about raising or lowering the stacks just to get in and out of port. Oasis and allure sail pretty much sold out year round. They would have zero issues selling a third one out year round in PC. no reason to move a ship of that size around annually. They would keep third oasis there year round and start rotating the other ships out during the seasons. Just like ft lauderdale. And if all thing pan out just like quantum. They all sail year round from their home ports.

If you all start wishing upon a star now you may get the 4th oasis in NJ.

The main issue they would have with selling her out in Pt. Canaveral is lack of a close by airport. That is one of the main reasons that Ft. Lauderdale got Oasis and Allure over Miami and Miami's airport isn't really that far from the port. Royal Caribbean has a target on their back with a 6,000 passenger ship so they have gone overboard with everything up to this point to ensure that not only is everything fast and easy, but that 6,000 passengers actually feels more efficient than a tiny ship. I don't see that accepting a lengthy bus ride when other ports can offer the same quick transit options.

I agree. It makes no sence porting a ship built for colder climates in Florida. QOS does not have the large outdoor deck space that the other classes have, even with the retractable roof. Southampton makes sence to me and so do cruises to Alaska. The NCL Getaway and also Breakaway are warm weather ships, which surprised me that they ported Breakaway in NY all year round.

And maybe

The Baltic - Norway - Northern Russia

Vancouver - Alaska - Eastern Russia - Japan

New Jersey - Canada - Greenland - North Pole:mad: - Iceland - Norway

The Northwest Passage

800px-Northwest_passage.jpg

All the above are have been done recently and including "The World"

doing the North west Passage

The main issue they would have with selling her out in Pt. Canaveral is lack of a close by airport. That is one of the main reasons that Ft. Lauderdale got Oasis and Allure over Miami and Miami's airport isn't really that far from the port. Royal Caribbean has a target on their back with a 6,000 passenger ship so they have gone overboard with everything up to this point to ensure that not only is everything fast and easy, but that 6,000 passengers actually feels more efficient than a tiny ship. I don't see that accepting a lengthy bus ride when other ports can offer the same quick transit options.

Ft lauderdale actually got oasis and allure because they signed a multi year contract and agreed to have a new larger terminal built.

Miami wouldn't agree to this because one there is no room for a new rccl terminal and two the rccl terminal that is there isn't old nor run down. It can handle all the ships already. Only the loading platforms would need to be modified to fit oasis. So again it wasn't about the airport.