Reserved Seating in the Crow's Nest

dan1618

When I come across this situation (in a lounge, by the pool etc) I hand the sweater, book or whatever to a member of staff and say "I think someone has left this behind. Could you give it to the lost and found department so that it can be returned to them".

I leave my book and tote bag on my chair in Crows Nest or by my chaise at pool when I go to the restroom. If I returned and found you in the chair/chaise, I would not be a happy camper. I would be even more upset if I had to go to Lost and Found to retrieve my items. I hope you give the person 10 minutes or so to return before removing their items.

I leave my book and tote bag on my chair in Crows Nest or by my chaise at pool when I go to the restroom. If I returned and found you in the chair/chaise, I would not be a happy camper. I would be even more upset if I had to go to Lost and Found to retrieve my items. I hope you give the person 10 minutes or so to return before removing their items.

I agree that 15-20 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to be away from your chair for personal reasons. Gents don't realize how long we ladies sometimes have to wait our turn in a restroom. ;)

I wish the staff would handle it though, so it did not put others in the position of being confrontational.

If a staff person (wait staff, bartender, coffee maker, etc) gets involved and removes items from a chair, and puts them nearby, it puts staff in an awkward position ......when the owner returns they could claim that something was missing. And now you have bigger trouble than anyone bargained for.

Or.... passengers would, of course, want to start tipping/bribing staff to "watch" their personal things until they return. And how long will that be ? 20 minutes ? 2 hours ? The staff have their own job to do, and watching people's belongings and monitoring chairs is not one of them.

What a Pandora's box !:eek:

When I come across this situation (in a lounge, by the pool etc) I hand the sweater, book or whatever to a member of staff and say "I think someone has left this behind. Could you give it to the lost and found department so that it can be returned to them".

Love it ! That's brilliant. :)

....however have a little compassion for others in a public space who might want to enjoy it too.

I think you mean "consideration" instead of "compassion"....

Compassion: "a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering."

If you lost your house in a tornado, then we'd have compassion for you....

but not to be able to use a chair in the Crow's Nest occupied by a sleeping person, not so much. :)

On our recent cruise, I saw a number of folks sleeping in the Crow's Nest,

And I gave to admit it kind of ticked me off...I go there for the view. A lot of people were reading, too...not admiring the view. Full disclosure ...I always had a book in hand and woke myself up by snoring. Never saw anyone saving a chair, though.

On our recent cruise, I saw a number of folks sleeping in the Crow's Nest,

And I gave to admit it kind of ticked me off...I go there for the view. A lot of people were reading, too...not admiring the view. Full disclosure ...I always had a book in hand and woke myself up by snoring. Never saw anyone saving a chair, though.

First people complain about Chair Hogs reserving a chair by leaving books, towels etc on it for an unreasonable length of time. I agree with that complaint.

Then they complain about people sleeping in chairs and thus preventing the complainer from enjoying the view. I admit it can be a little annoying, but . . . . . if a person gets to a chair/lounger first and is occupying that chair, it is theirs to use as they see fit, for the time they are in it. It's irrelevant whether they sit and enjoy the views, sit and have a drink and talk to friends, or fall asleep. And it is also irrelevant whether the chair is in the Crow's Nest, by the pool, or in the Solarium. The principle is the same: first come, first served.

I've gone up to the Crow's Nest to enjoy the view, sat in one of those comfortable chairs and occasionally (and unintentionally) fallen asleep there. I'm getting on a bit and Bonine - even the non-drowsy version - does sometimes make me fall asleep in the daytime.

I'd be mighty annoyed if some self-imposed monitor sat on me or otherwise woke me up and demanded that I give the chair to them so they could enjoy the view! If they were considerate and patient, they would get their turn, because I'd have to wake up for a bathroom break! :D

I think you mean "consideration" instead of "compassion"....

Compassion: "a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering."

If you lost your house in a tornado, then we'd have compassion for you....

but not to be able to use a chair in the Crow's Nest occupied by a sleeping person, not so much. :)

Really? That's your contribution to this thread? How enlightening. I hope I spelled it right.

On a recent trip to Antarctica on the Veendam, my wife and I went up to the crows nest when the temps outside got REALLY bad. We sat at the bar for almost an hour, then went to a pair of "prime" seats that had been empty since we got there, moved the sweaters back a row and sat down. A few minutes later, the friends of the "no shows" (Who were down having lunch) told us that we were taking "reserved seats"... We did not budge, there was a confrontation... Sorry but 45 minutes is WAY too long.

This really burns me up. If I saw this I would remove the items from the chairs and then leave (or stay). Even if I had no interest in the seats.

igraf

I am curious if anyone else has ever run into this.

We spend very little time in the Crow's Nest -- we'd just rather be out on our corner aft deck -- but recently on the Zuiderdam since no one else in either of our cabins was up, my son and I decided to go there one morning while everyone else was still sleeping in after a long day the day before.

We figured we would enjoy some of the nice loungers looking out over the bow, but none were available. About half had people in them -- the other half were being held by sweaters, various bags, inexpensive personal items -- for people who were nowhere to be seen. It seemed to be the indoor version of people who claim chairs around the pool by leaving their towels on them all day, even if they aren't around.

Has anyone else run into this? We don't spend enough time there for me to care, but it did leave me scratching my head.

First people complain about Chair Hogs reserving a chair by leaving books, towels etc on it for an unreasonable length of time. I agree with that complaint.

Then they complain about people sleeping in chairs and thus preventing the complainer from enjoying the view. I admit it can be a little annoying, but . . . . . if a person gets to a chair/lounger first and is occupying that chair, it is theirs to use as they see fit, for the time they are in it. It's irrelevant whether they sit and enjoy the views, sit and have a drink and talk to friends, or fall asleep. And it is also irrelevant whether the chair is in the Crow's Nest, by the pool, or in the Solarium. The principle is the same: first come, first served.

I've gone up to the Crow's Nest to enjoy the view, sat in one of those comfortable chairs and occasionally (and unintentionally) fallen asleep there. I'm getting on a bit and Bonine - even the non-drowsy version - does sometimes make me fall asleep in the daytime.

I'd be mighty annoyed if some self-imposed monitor sat on me or otherwise woke me up and demanded that I give the chair to them so they could enjoy the view! If they were considerate and patient, they would get their turn, because I'd have to wake up for a bathroom break! :D

And that is what I was saying, Celle...although I grumbled to myself about the sleepers, I did the exact same thing... :) And I would certainly not ever wake anyone up...there are plenty of spots for viewing (or sleeping, for that matter) on the ship!

And that is what I was saying, Celle...although I grumbled to myself about the sleepers, I did the exact same thing... :) And I would certainly not ever wake anyone up...there are plenty of spots for viewing (or sleeping, for that matter) on the ship!

I get that.

I think I was mostly responding to the sentiments expressed in posts #18 and 20.

Sometimes, sleep just overcomes you when you relax in a comfortable chair!

I think we all recognize nodding off in a chair happens.

Sleeping for a long period of time in a chair/lounge in a prime viewing location in a public area is rude imo. Let someone else enjoy the view and go take a nap somewhere else.

Chair reserving and hogging is selfish behavior that people get away with because we let them. Just move their stuff and sit down. They'll quit doing it once it doesn't work.

It's not about telling anyone how to spend their vacation, it's about being courteous to others and taking turns. Didn't we all learn that in kindergarten?

LOL... I've been guilty of that. Alaska cruise a couple years ago, Full stomach after lunch, nice warm lounge, gentle hum of the engines, a rum runner from the friendly steward... and 2 hrs later waking up to a feather under my nose by my laughing kids... (Missed the run in to the glaciers to boot! )

[quote name='startwin']If someone falls asleep in one of those comfy chairs, do you really think they have done it deliberately to hog the chair? Come on, loosen up.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Completely agree! First of all the Crows Nest is not school & certainly is not kindergarten..If I get up to the Crow's nest early & get a good seat that is my prerogative to sit there as long as I want..[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='FredT']LOL... I've been guilty of that. Alaska cruise a couple years ago, Full stomach after lunch, nice warm lounge, gentle hum of the engines, a rum runner from the friendly steward... and 2 hrs later waking up to a feather under my nose by my laughing kids... (Missed the run in to the glaciers to boot! )[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Unfortunately I've fallen asleep too, especially after having a drink in the Crow's Nest but was unhappy when I missed something..I've also taken a book up to the Crows Nest & read while I'm watching the view..It is no ones business as long as I'm using the chair.. The only time I would leave a book on the chair would be if I had to run to the cabin for a sweater, which I sometimes have needed, or to use the restroom..[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]If a person is not back within 15 to 20 min. then other Psgrs would have every right to remove things left on the chairs..[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Cheers...:)Betty[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] I agree that 15-20 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to be away from your chair for personal reasons. Gents don't realize how long we ladies sometimes have to wait our turn in a restroom. ;)

[/B][/QUOTE]

I will defer to your better judgement on this.

I should say we went to the Crowsnest in the early AM to see one person protect 5 loungers.

Some peoples kids...:eek:

Archived