Reserved Seating in the Crow's Nest

dan1618

I am curious if anyone else has ever run into this.

We spend very little time in the Crow's Nest -- we'd just rather be out on our corner aft deck -- but recently on the Zuiderdam since no one else in either of our cabins was up, my son and I decided to go there one morning while everyone else was still sleeping in after a long day the day before.

We figured we would enjoy some of the nice loungers looking out over the bow, but none were available. About half had people in them -- the other half were being held by sweaters, various bags, inexpensive personal items -- for people who were nowhere to be seen. It seemed to be the indoor version of people who claim chairs around the pool by leaving their towels on them all day, even if they aren't around.

Has anyone else run into this? We don't spend enough time there for me to care, but it did leave me scratching my head.

I would have removed the sweaters, books and whatever and used the chairs. If someone returned within 15-20 minutes, I would leave the chair and accept they likely went to get a cup of coffee or use the restroom. To me, that is reasonable.

If they did not return for 45 minutes (if I was still using the chair), I would not leave until I was ready to do so.

I would have removed the sweaters, books and whatever and used the chairs. If someone returned within 15-20 minutes, I would leave the chair and accept they likely went to get a cup of coffee or use the restroom. To me, that is reasonable.

If they did not return for 45 minutes (if I was still using the chair), I would not leave until I was ready to do so.

That seems fair. I wish the staff would handle it though, so it did not put others in the position of being confrontational.

It didn't appear that there were that many people getting coffee or lined up at the restroom. :) It really looked like they were staked out for the day! I didn't really care one way or the other -- there was nothing to see anyways -- drizzly day and in the open sea. I was just curious if this is common since I never spend any time up there. We've always booked corner afts and spend our time out on the deck watching where we've just been.

This is a common practice at most all-inclusive resorts and ships I have been on. It is the policy at most places to remove the items after a set amount of time. Most ship and resort personnel do not want the confrontation. I guess I would ask myself if it is worth it to create the ill will with another passenger whom you are boxed in for the cruise.

I have never seen this, what itinerary were you on? Just curious.

We often go up to the Crows nest in the middle of the day if we are at open sea and it is too windy to sit out on our balcony. I guess we have been lucky.

We saw the same thing on our Zuiderdam cruise in May. Passengers had those loungers staked out early in the morning or maybe from the night before, I don't know which. They also used sweaters, books and what have you to save them.

I'm with Sails, that is exactly what to do if they don't return in lets say 10-15 minutes. That certainly is enough time for them to go to the bathroom or grab a cup of coffee.

I've seen this on various itineraries. But in fairness, I have also been guilty of leaving my crossword/book/whatever in one the seats when I have been lucky enough to snag one in the mornings, while I go get my coffee.

when i come across this situation (in a lounge, by the pool etc) i hand the sweater, book or whatever to a member of staff and say "i think someone has left this behind. Could you give it to the lost and found department so that it can be returned to them".

:) !

We saw the same thing on our Zuiderdam cruise in May. Passengers had those loungers staked out early in the morning or maybe from the night before, I don't know which. They also used sweaters, books and what have you to save them.

I'm with Sails, that is exactly what to do if they don't return in lets say 10-15 minutes. That certainly is enough time for them to go to the bathroom or grab a cup of coffee.

We were on the Zuiderdam for the May 18th itinerary.

When I come across this situation (in a lounge, by the pool etc) I hand the sweater, book or whatever to a member of staff and say "I think someone has left this behind. Could you give it to the lost and found department so that it can be returned to them".

LOVE YOUR ANSWER!!!!! I will have to remember this one!!!!

I know on other lines, the staff will place a dot (sticker) on the empty lounger with the time on it. If there is no one on the lounger after an hour, they come by and remove those items placed to "hold" the lounger.

I'm surprised HAL hasn't done something similar.

I know on other lines, the staff will place a dot (sticker) on the empty lounger with the time on it. If there is no one on the lounger after an hour, they come by and remove those items placed to "hold" the lounger.

I'm surprised HAL hasn't done something similar.

Now this is a great solution!!! Sounds like a no-brainer, doesn't it? However, I think an hour is far too long. I would think 15 minutes is fair for the Crow's Nest. Maybe longer for the pool area.

I've gone up to the Crow's Nest on Alaska Cruises and seen people sound asleep in the loungers as glaciers and bergies float by! I've been tempted to sit on their laps just to get the higher vantage point ;) but didn't have the courage to wake them and tell them to please nap elsewhere.

I know folks doze off, but seriously, some of the people where there sleeping still when I came back an hour later!

what to do, what to do?

I have never been able to enjoy one of those chairs, each and every time I have been to the Crow's Nest, they are occupied. And yes, half the people are asleep. I do feel that since the chairs are in such demand, it would be considerate if people did not monopolize them.

I've gone up to the Crow's Nest on Alaska Cruises and seen people sound asleep in the loungers as glaciers and bergies float by! I've been tempted to sit on their laps just to get the higher vantage point ;) but didn't have the courage to wake them and tell them to please nap elsewhere.

I know folks doze off, but seriously, some of the people where there sleeping still when I came back an hour later!

what to do, what to do?

I've never seen chair hogs but the sleepers? Oh yeah- they are there all afternoon tilted back snoring away. I just don't get that- go nap in your cabin and let someone who wants to enjoy the view enjoy it.

Mi casa Mi casa I guess.

Really guys ?? Think about what you're saying..

Now you want to police what people do while using while using the furniture ? Leaving things to unfairly save a chair or loungers is one thing, but now to think you're so important that you want to dictate to other people where and what part of the ship their relaxing (yes naping) and enjoying their cruise vacation should take place, so that YOU can enjoy the chairs and loungers when the fancy strikes you ??? Really ?

I personally, and yes it's only my personal opinion, think that in some ways that sadder than saving a chair .

Srpilo

Really guys ?? Think about what you're saying..

Now you want to police what people do while using while using the furniture ? Leaving things to unfairly save a chair or loungers is one thing, but now to think you're so important that you want to dictate to other people where and what part of the ship their relaxing (yes naping) and enjoying their cruise vacation should take place, so that YOU can enjoy the chairs and loungers when the fancy strikes you ??? Really ?

I personally, and yes it's only my personal opinion, think that in some ways that sadder than saving a chair .

Srpilo

Yes, it's your personal opinion and I respect that but I respectfully disagree. Do what you like when you like and how you like in your cabin or your home. Walk around naked there for all I could care and I'll champion your right to do it; however have a little compassion for others in a public space who might want to enjoy it too. There's a lot of you you you in your answer which IMHO says me me me . Nice.

Yes, it's your personal opinion and I respect that but I respectfully disagree. Do what you like when you like and how you like in your cabin or your home. Walk around naked there for all I could care and I'll champion your right to do it; however have a little compassion for others in a public space who might want to enjoy it too. There's a lot of you you you in your answer which IMHO says me me me . Nice.

LOL ... not even a little surprised by a response like this.

Srpilo

*I know when I'm wasting my time, so last post here .

When I come across this situation (in a lounge, by the pool etc) I hand the sweater, book or whatever to a member of staff and say "I think someone has left this behind. Could you give it to the lost and found department so that it can be returned to them".

I like this idea. Will give it a try sometime.

Archived