How low will they go?

Some cruiselines said they left the west coast because of the danger of the Mexican ports. There was a hold up of a Carnival excursion at gun point and people here were railing that Carnival should be held responsible and pull out too at the time.

My 15 day thru hawaii on Miracle was $1079 a few weeks ago, but its starting now to go up in price..now the cheapest price today was $1349 I think.. Maybe me telling people what a great deal it was on CC people ran and booked it and thats why the price went up?? CC demand? who knows.. just kidding of course.

But I do think there were some other factors like dangerous mexican ports cited as reasons RCL and maybe it was princess pulled out of Calif that did the runs to mexico.

You are correct, that was was a contributing factor. I remember Princess specifically pulling out and stating that reason.

I still see post and hear from people in work that ask me if I was scared going to Mexico because it was so dangerous.

We went to Cozumel and Costa Maya. The violence was on the pacific side of Mexico though.

I've done one cruise from there and that was enough.

Bill

You are correct, that was was a contributing factor. I remember Princess specifically pulling out and stating that reason.

I still see post and hear from people in work that ask me if I was scared going to Mexico because it was so dangerous.

We went to Cozumel and Costa Maya. The violence was on the pacific side of Mexico though.

Bill

Princess still sails to Mexico from L.A. They sail the winter & spring, PV and Cabo. They do a 10 day from S.F. which stops in Cabo, Laredo, La Paz, PV.

There is also a 10 day from L.A which goes to San Diego, Cabo, La Paz, Laredo, PV. They also have 3 & 4 day sailings that go to Catalina & Ensenada.

There are also Holland leaving from San Diego that goes to Cabo, Mazatlan & PV.

The prices are outrageous compared to Carnival's prices when we were able to have more choices for 7 days out of L.A & 8 &9 days from San Diego.

NCL is coming back for some winter & spring sailings. The will also go to Mazatlan, Cabo & PV.

If i took the cruise They would lose Money as a diamond i would get free laundry the vipf party the captains event since ive been to those ports no tours i dont buy photos as a diabetic i dont drink prolly the only thing on my S&S will be the gratuities LOL:D:p:)

Ok im not diabetic but i dont drink alot maybe one or two and i dont drink soda .. My bladder cant handle either one well im a ice tea drinker .... My question is when my dh and i go on our cruise this jan. Do i have to pay for my iced tea where do i get it .... Im not sure they are going to make much money off of me either lol:o

Ok im not diabetic but i dont drink alot maybe one or two and i dont drink soda .. My bladder cant handle either one well im a ice tea drinker .... My question is when my dh and i go on our cruise this jan. Do i have to pay for my iced tea where do i get it .... Im not sure they are going to make much money off of me either lol:o

The buffet is accessible 24/7 and has ice tea in the dispersers.. EXCEPT during breakfast when it will be juice guava mix or OJ.

Its free. There are tea bags, if you want to make your own ice tea from hot water and a tea bag if you dont like regular unsweetened iced tea (all kinds of sweetner there, but to be sweet tea in TX the sugar has to be added when its hot.

There are dispensers by the main pool too on most ships.

If you ask your server in the MDR he will usually get it for you.. sometimes they would rather not and give you ice water if you dont speak up fast.

Is it unimportant just because you don't like the information? You have major chip when anyone dares to disagree with what you say. Then you post all kinds of random "facts" yet when someone asks for a source you repeatedly tell them to look it up themselves.

It's all very childish.

I usually post a link to the "random facts" as you call them. Being childish is posting simple remarks when someone posts information you don't like. Of course, you can continue if you choose.

Bill

Violence in Mexico was the reason the cruise lines gave for pulling out, but the biggest factor was the media scaring people from going there.

FACTS -- Which are not readily accepted here ---- There have been no incidents of cruise passengers being killed or injured on the Mexican Riviera cruises due to the violence in the ports.

There have been several incidents in the Caribbean, and the cruise lines are still going to most of the ports in that area.

Now -- The cruise lines have been talking to Mazatlan authorities about returning and they are insisting on certain security guarantees.

Quote ------To this day, Mazatlán – while not the only Mexican Riviera port afflicted – remains the hardest hit by cruise ship departures and perhaps unjustifiably so. While there are indeed reports of drug cartel-related violence within the greater Sinaloa state and even a deadly shooting in a Mazatlán hotel parking lot free of tourist involvement – the truth according to Oralia Rice, Secretary of Tourism of Sinaloa, remains "that Mazatlán has been receiving cruise passengers for forty years and not one of them has been involved in a negative incident."

Also, some cruise lines are in talks with Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) about building a cruise terminal there.

This may diminish some of the fears that the media has instilled in people and should allow the West Coast cruising to increase. That said, the environmental restrictions and rules in California may cause some of the future cruises to begin and end in Mexico instead of Calif.

http://www.examiner.com/article/if-rocky-point-becomes-a-home-port-for-cruise-ships-10-things-that-will-change

Is it unimportant just because you don't like the information? You have major chip when anyone dares to disagree with what you say. Then you post all kinds of random "facts" yet when someone asks for a source you repeatedly tell them to look it up themselves.

It's all very childish.

Glad I am not the only one to notice someone hates to be wrong.

I believe, they are well on their way to hitting the Greyhound low. :D

It doesn't matter, however. I've read that they've been selling cruises at unprofitable rates since the early years of the company. The lower the price, the more they train their personnel in customer service equivalents of assault and robbery.

Cheers, CW

Somebody hit the nail on the head earlier.

I myself would have very little desire to sail from NYC in December only to go to Pt Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport as ports. Plus, you probably wouldn't want to stand on an outside deck until Day 3 and not after after Day 5. That's just not cruising to me.

Yep. If they were going to sell this low-might as well haave stayed on the west coast where the ports were better and the whether on day 2 is nicer. I know some lines cited the Meixcan violence as part of the reason the ships were not filling. Personally believe it had a lot more to do with the Cal economy but whatever the reason, an over correction was obviously made by all of the lines and more ships will be back on the west coast soon.

It's all very childish.

It may disappoint you to know that I will continue to advise some to look up the information when the person who asks is simply trying to goad me into an argument. The ignore feature works very well on this board.

Yep. If they were going to sell this low-might as well haave stayed on the west coast where the ports were better and the whether on day 2 is nicer. I know some lines cited the Meixcan violence as part of the reason the ships were not filling. Personally believe it had a lot more to do with the Cal economy but whatever the reason, an over correction was obviously made by all of the lines and more ships will be back on the west coast soon.

Several factors prompted the cruise lines to pull out of Calif. The media scaring people away was big, but fuel costs to get to the nearest port over 600 miles away also was a factor.

Competition for those who were not scared away drove the rates down so some decided to move to other areas where ports were closer and the media was not creating fear.

Another thing that is keeping some away is the environmental rules that require ships to use dockside electricity when in port and to use more expensive fuel approaching Calif. These requirements will be permanent, so it is very likely you will see cruises starting and ending in Mexico.

With all the comments I have seen about Carnival cutting rates because they can't fill ships without cutting to the bone, Is RCCL in trouble ???

I got an email ad that shows a 7 day cruise on RCCL to Alaska 8/30 for a very low price that is more than $100 below the other cruise lines that I have seen in that same time period.

I usually post a link to the "random facts" as you call them. Being childish is posting simple remarks when someone posts information you don't like. Of course, you can continue if you choose.
what like when you accused the author of an article of being biased because YOUR browser had cookies that produced NCL and RCCL adverts on the articles page.:p

With all the comments I have seen about Carnival cutting rates because they can't fill ships without cutting to the bone, Is RCCL in trouble ???

I got an email ad that shows a 7 day cruise on RCCL to Alaska 8/30 for a very low price that is more than $100 below the other cruise lines that I have seen in that same time period.

The big problem for any company forced to cut product prices(2 profit warnings) is how they regain price power, I would presume RCCL one of RCCL's is new ships,so far I think the only sensible move made by CCL is Uncle Bob.

No pressure then Uncle:p

But this is a December 3rd sailing- six months out. So it doesn't seem like a good management technique being utilized to fill the ship last minute. It's just a rock bottom fare. Crazy.

Dropping fares that low, that far out means there was little to no booking going on.

I cannot believe that people actually are delusional enough to think that CCL wants to sell at these prices. Talk about denial.

The fiascos of this past year have obviously made a huge impact on CCL's sales.

We booked the Glory out of NY quite a while ago when it was almost 700.00 per person.

Prices kept dropping and dropping and we bottomed out at 349pp.

You will enjoy the staff on the Glory it was my best cruise yet of 10 on Carnival.

Dropping fares that low, that far out means there was little to no booking going on.

I cannot believe that people actually are delusional enough to think that CCL wants to sell at these prices. Talk about denial.

The fiascos of this past year have obviously made a huge impact on CCL's sales.

The prices are clearly set by supply and demand, and demand clearly must be lower on most cruises from most ports this year, some even more than others. This is not surprising, given the bad publicity. These days, many (most?) people form opinions quickly based on sensationalized bits of information picked up from the internet or 24-hour news channels. I know people who voted for president that way. I'm sure the idea that "cruising is dangerous" has affected all mainstream cruiselines in the U.S., but Carnival has taken the biggest hit.

An intelligent person who has cruised once told me yesterday that we were lucky not to have problems on our cruise last winter, because "Carnival has problems with a lot of their ships." :( The topic came up because my daughter was telling everyone how much fun we had. The ship we sailed has never had problems. I pointed out that it was a different cruiseline that had a fire recently. Her response was that it was a small fire and the passengers were called to their muster stations to keep them safe.

Archived