P&O Price Promise Radio 4 investigate

Thejuggler

You're right Dai, I haven't read all of your numerous quotes on this subject - I'm too busy travelling.

I was mearly responding to your quote on this specific forum where you state "Now it is very clear" and disagreeing with it. If you are aware of the issue, it is now very clear, but for those who do not know this subject well, I still feel P&O are misleading people with their "Price Promise". There is no "Promise", as they do not reduce the Vantage fare. It is a marketing slight of hand from P&O.

It was on the issue of the "Price Promise" that I wrote to and contributed to Money Box, not for the fact that sales prices are often cheaper, of course they are.

What all cruise lines do not do is market a play on words "Price Promise".

Yup. Its not a Price Promise at all. "If you pay our inflated price, we promise never to reduce that inflated price (however we will offer a differently titled fare that allows others to book at a massive discount without triggering our price Promise)"

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yup. Its not a Price Promise at all. "If you pay our inflated price, we promise never to reduce that inflated price (however we will offer a differently titled fare that allows others to book at a massive discount without triggering our price Promise)"

How on earth can the fares be inflated if they are cheaper by 25% in real terms than they were 12 years ago. If they are inflated then so are all cruise prices.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sorry Dai, I didn't realise that I was under an obligation to read all of your previous posts on this subject, intersting though they may have been.

I am only disagreeing with your comment on this specific forum regarding your statement that things are now clear - I disagree. P&O continue to market their "Price Promise" - the fact is there is no promise. New cruisers, or those that do not follow this topic, can still be caught out by this misleading "Price Promise". It is certainly clear once you have been caught out by the Vantage Promise, but only once.

Sorry Dai, I didn't realise that I was under an obligation to read all of your previous posts on this subject, intersting though they may have been.

I am only disagreeing with your comment on this specific forum regarding your statement that things are now clear - I disagree. P&O continue to market their "Price Promise" - the fact is there is no promise. New cruisers, or those that do not follow this topic, can still be caught out by this misleading "Price Promise". It is certainly clear once you have been caught out by the Vantage Promise, but only once.

You have a clear need not to understand my posts. If you have not read them you cannot criticise, unless you are just coming on here to stir things up.

The price promise is very clear if the Vantage fare goes down you will get compensated. What is unclear.

I say again that they got it wrong at the start as the getaways were not readily visible. They are now.

Dai

How on earth can the fares be inflated if they are cheaper by 25% in real terms than they were 12 years ago. If they are inflated then so are all cruise prices.

Gan Canny

Dai

Dai, all cruise fares are much lower than they were 12 years ago, not just P&O so thats not a reasonable statement. Vantage fares are fares that are wishful thinking by P&O and some passengers are happy (or forced to) to stump up. It astounds me that the people that are happiest to pay the vantage fares are those that are retired and should have a degree of flexibility. Whilst that group keep supporting P&O they will continue their current marketing.

You have a clear need not to understand my posts. If you have not read them you cannot criticise, unless you are just coming on here to stir things up.

The price promise is very clear if the Vantage fare goes down you will get compensated. What is unclear.

I say again that they got it wrong at the start as the getaways were not readily visible. They are now.

Dai

They are now........which makes the Vantage Fares appear ridiculous.

Dai, all cruise fares are much lower than they were 12 years ago, not just P&O so thats not a reasonable statement. Vantage fares are fares that are wishful thinking by P&O and some passengers are happy (or forced to) to stump up. It astounds me that the people that are happiest to pay the vantage fares are those that are retired and should have a degree of flexibility. Whilst that group keep supporting P&O they will continue their current marketing.

Do you really think that the getaway fares are the true cost of a cruise. That is just daft. The price of the cruise is the vantage fare. The getaway fares are the mopping up which is done to fill the ship. All cruise lines have done this for years. Only it is more visible now. Because of the Internet. Some of the American lines reduce there prices by up to 80% so they are all at it. Very little to do with P&O.

My statement was entirely valid in relation to your previous post.

Dai

It will be interesting to see if this Price Promise / Getaway fiasco is sorted out once Carol Marlow has gone. If what is posted on this forum is true, P&O are getting very few early bookings. Their balance sheets must look awful!

Previous P&O Cruises

--------------------

1982 Canberra

1989 Canberra

2004 Adonia

2005 Oriana

2006 Oceana

2006 Oriana

2007 Oceana

2007 Artemis

2008 Ventura

2008 Aurora

2009 Artemis

2009 Arcadia

2011 Arcadia

2011 Azura

2011 Aurora

2012 Arcadia

2012 Aurora

To come with P&O

-----------------

ABSOLUTELY NOWT!!

Gan Canny

Dai

I think the answer is probably economy of scale.

So many more mega ships have been introduced by the cruise lines.

Despite the year on year increase in passenger numbers, there are probably too many berths chasing too few passengers, so fares have to be cut by a particular cruise line to attract custom away from competitors.

Then there is the practise of inflating a brochure price in order to appear to offer a discount.

Dai

Dai, I am not criticising all of your posts, I haven't read them, I'm just disagreeing with your comment on this specific thread that all is very clear now. I disagree and consider it still to be a marketing wheeze.

Of course the specific Vantage Price Promise is correct if taken literally, but the trick is that it gives the impression that if prices fall then so will the Vantage Fare. Well of course we all now know that the Vantage Fare doesn't fall. So it's hardly a real promise.

I did not come onto this thread to cause mischief - I wrote to BBC's Money Box and contributed to their programme on Saturday. I think I have the right to comment, even if you don't think that I should.

Some people on here - or should I say ONE person on here - view everything that P&O do or say through rose-tinted glasses.

P&O's Vantage 'Price Promise' strategy WAS misleading. No argument, surely?

:confused:

Well said Lancashire Lass, I totally agree with you.:cool:

Do you really think that the getaway fares are the true cost of a cruise. That is just daft. The price of the cruise is the vantage fare. The getaway fares are the mopping up which is done to fill the ship. All cruise lines have done this for years. Only it is more visible now. Because of the Internet. Some of the American lines reduce there prices by up to 80% so they are all at it. Very little to do with P&O.

My statement was entirely valid in relation to your previous post.

Dai

It completely passes me by why you would be happy to pay P&Os higher Vantage Fare prices. Surely you cannot justify them by saying they are lower than 12 years ago......

Some people on here - or should I say ONE person on here - view everything that P&O do or say through rose-tinted glasses.

P&O's Vantage 'Price Promise' strategy WAS misleading. No argument, surely?

:confused:

Did i not say it was wrong or are you another one who does not read my posts.

Dai

It completely passes me by why you would be happy to pay P&Os higher Vantage Fare prices. Surely you cannot justify them by saying they are lower than 12 years ago......

You should know that I do not have a choice I have to book a suite/mini suite as I use a scooter. If I had not booked the next two cruises on Vantage, although they were not called that at the time I would not be cruising as on both cruises there are no cabins left I can use.

The Vantage fares are the brochure fares by any other name. They are not inflated they are the price of the cruise. Getaway fares are there to mop up the cabins not sold. This is the same as with every other cruise line in the world.

But if you choose to avoid the truth.

BTW I am paying less for my cruise in a suite per night than I did in a balcony cabin in 2001. I have more money than I had then so why should I not be happy

If you are not happy with P&O then find another line which does not reduce prices as the sailing time approaches.......... but there aren't any.

Dai

If you are not happy with P&O then find another line which does not reduce prices as the sailing time approaches.......... but there aren't any.

Dai

Dai, I'm afraid it's you that's missing the point by not reading posts properly. Ever heard the expression "everyone out of step except me"?:D

The point being made repeatedly, and that you constantly miss, was the initial mis-selling. It's no good saying they're being more transparent now -those to whom these cruises were mis-sold have still to cruise, or have been on their mis-sold cruises recently. They are not happy, and I don't blame them, having been given a worthless "price promise", "guaranteed". These were the headlines, promoted heavily by P&O and travel agents.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LATE PRICE REDUCTIONS. Got it?

Accusing others, who are addressing the relevant points, of not properly reading your posts is laughable.

Dai, I'm afraid it's you that's missing the point by not reading posts properly. Ever heard the expression "everyone out of step except me"?:D

The point being made repeatedly, and that you constantly miss, was the initial mis-selling. It's no good saying they're being more transparent now -those to whom these cruises were mis-sold have still to cruise, or have been on their mis-sold cruises recently. They are not happy, and I don't blame them, having been given a worthless "price promise", "guaranteed". These were the headlines, promoted heavily by P&O and travel agents.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LATE PRICE REDUCTIONS. Got it?

Accusing others, who are addressing the relevant points, of not properly reading your posts is laughable.

CAN YOU NOT READ EITHER. I have said 3 times in this thread that mistakes were made when the Vantage fares were first sold. so that is FOUR times.

And it has everything to do with late price reductions. If they did not happen non of the problems would be being aired. People contacted the BBC because others had got discounted fares way below what they had paid with Vantage. If the Getaway fares had not gone down as much then there would not be the outcry.

Dai

Avast that me mateys. You should be attacking P&O not each other.

Respond to the BBC website invitation to tell them of your experience with the price promise.

And in response to the P&O claim that 10s of thousands have benefitted from the price promise, isanyone aware of a vantage fare reduction?

Respond to the BBC website invitation to tell them of your experience with the price promise.

And in response to the P&O claim that 10s of thousands have benefitted from the price promise, isanyone aware of a vantage fare reduction?

Well it depends if the company are counting those who got OBC given when the Vantage fares came in. Those who had booked early were given it when the Vantage fare was less than they had paid. We got quite a sum on one of our cruises.

I could respond to the BBC but as we have not been effected with our cabins not going to getaway it would not help. I suspect P&O have got the message by now.

Gan Canny

Dai

I suspect they are referring to the additional obc that was given to those who had already booked when the Vantage fare scheme was announced. I got considerable additional obc on 3 cruises I had booked.

As for additional obc for Vantage fare reductions, I don't know. A mysterious additional £70 obc appeared on my Arcadia cruise last month and an additional £25 has appeared on my invoice for Oceana next month.

They may be Vantage, or not?

Actually all that additional obc is awkward because in order to spend it I am having to forego booking excursions in advance and might miss out on the ones I prefer.

You can only drink so many bottles of champers :D

When advertising of the vantage/getaway fares started last year I was cynical about the outcomes. My cynicism proved to be justified. There was no promise of a definite price drop. The promise was a price drop OR an amount of OBC or an upgrade. (It is quite easy to move a booking to a different cabin and call it an upgrade.) The compensation would be at the cruiseline's discretion. I read this but it seems that some people chose not to read much beyond the attention-grabbing headlines. At around the same time some passengers who had already booked cruises for this year (after the new fare system was to be introduced) were given OBC. I doubt that P&O and Cunard would have been stupid enough to lay themselves open to legal proceedings. I am quite sure they will have covered themselves legally within the small print.

I suspect they are referring to the additional obc that was given to those who had already booked when the Vantage fare scheme was announced. I got considerable additional obc on 3 cruises I had booked.

As for additional obc for Vantage fare reductions, I don't know. A mysterious additional £70 obc appeared on my Arcadia cruise last month and an additional £25 has appeared on my invoice for Oceana next month.

They may be Vantage, or not?

Actually all that additional obc is awkward because in order to spend it I am having to forego booking excursions in advance and might miss out on the ones I prefer.

You can only drink so many bottles of champers :D

Dave,

I know you have said before you have had a bit extra but have you heard of anyone else? It can not jut be you. Are others keeping quiet? After our next cruise I will let you know you if we get any.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

When advertising of the vantage/getaway fares started last year I was cynical about the outcomes. My cynicism proved to be justified. There was no promise of a definite price drop. The promise was a price drop OR an amount of OBC or an upgrade. (It is quite easy to move a booking to a different cabin and call it an upgrade.) The compensation would be at the cruiseline's discretion. I read this but it seems that some people chose not to read much beyond the attention-grabbing headlines. At around the same time some passengers who had already booked cruises for this year (after the new fare system was to be introduced) were given OBC. I doubt that P&O and Cunard would have been stupid enough to lay themselves open to legal proceedings. I am quite sure they will have covered themselves legally within the small print.

The on board credit, or an upgrade, has to be triggered by a reduction in the Vantage Fare.

Since it would appear that a Vantage Fare is never reduced, it is a meaningless promise.

http://www.pocruises.com/about-po-cruises/vantage-fares-and-price-promise/

Re Getaway Fares, given that these are now being advertised for the month of November, are they really to mop up remaining unsold cabins?

I repeat, I wrote to Moneybox not because of the reduced fares (as all companies have sales), but due to the "Price Promise". "Price Promise" was the title of the Moneybox programme. I did not write to the BBC about any other cruise line dropping their prices, just about P&O's "Price Promise".

I have no beef with Princess, Celebrity, NCL etc, who also offer late deals, but they do not offer a misleading "Price Promise". To me the "Price Promise" is the only issue, not the last minute deals. Whenever you buy anything (a shirt, a car, a holiday), you might get a better deal later - that is your choice - to buy now or wait for the sales, but you might miss out on what you wanted. This is normal buying.

P&O's "Price Promise" was the issue that annoyed me and why I wrote to the BBC and to Carnival's President.

For sure, P&O will soon drop this marketing slight of hand, as hopefully most cruisers now knows that it is a worthless promise.

Archived