Coming Back To Princess...Horizon Court Question:

LastUsernameEver

I have sailed on Princess many times, but my last voyage on the line was over five years ago, so, I want to figure this out...

The last (many) years I had cruised Princess, the way the Horizon Court worked was not so much a buffet "line" as it was a station-hopping experience, where you would grab your plate then head to any one of a number of food "islands"...some food islands may be more cramped than others, but, in a perfect world, it appeared that once you got your plate, the "lining-up" (or cueing-up if you prefer) was over.

I know the first day is always the worst in the HC, since so many other line's (Carnival, RCCL,etc.) cruisers start to line up.

Please, tell me the cue-free concept is still in place (or, at least attempted) by Princess. It was one of my favorite things about the line.

Thanks!

The buffet on Princess is more stations than a line. The newer and refitted ships have expanded buffets with more space between the stations and a separate bread/pastry area. I understand that the new Royal is more of a "line" but the sections are separated enough that it's clear that you can jump from one to another. On the ships with a Cafe Caribe, that has a small buffet that's in a line.

Thanks, Pam...I'm on the Star, and I think they re-fit the buffet during her last drydock, so it may have been improved.

The last Grand Class ship I was on was the Grand herself, and it did feel a bit awkward...but that was ages ago. I even saw improvements on the Diamond (although, that may have just been a better behaved passengery or better-trained crew)...who knows.

They moved the desserts off the main buffet "line" on the Star so it is just outside the oval track that you use to move around the stations. But as for the main buffet area, it's still in a small area where some folks queue and move from one dish to the next while others might jump around.

I always seem to jump in front of someone who doesn't grasp the concept that jumping is acceptable. I wish they'd give a tutorial on day one...maybe at the Muster drill! ;-)
Isn't that the truth! I've had people scream at me to get back in line when all I've done is pop in to get some bacon (while no one else was getting it.)

Oddly enough, Pam, your story makes me feel a little bit better. Knowing YOU were screamed at too...now I feel like a member of an elite club! ;-)
I'm probably labeled somewhere as a little old lady who thinks they can push ahead of lines. :)

People who mostly cruise on lines with action stations, such as =X= and RCI, know there is no such thing as a line in these buffet layouts. The Princess folks will gradually come around and learn the fun of circling all the stations quickly and then doubling back to pick out what they want.

I can't believe how tiny those balconies are. We don't live on the balcony like others do but that is a strong negative on booking the ship. Wonder who has the smallest balcony, this ship or the NCL Breakaway. A disturbing trend.

We are relocating to South Florida and were considering booking the Royal. Not now.

I usually check out what is being offered in the HC first before I start loading my plate. Therefore I most often jump around to get the selections I had decided I wanted. I wait until that particular item is free and then grab some. I have never had any one complain that I could hear. (one of the advantages of being an old male with poor hearing!). Don't tell my partner but I have been known to suddenly lose almost all my hearing at convenient times. :rolleyes:

People who mostly cruise on lines with action stations, such as =X= and RCI, know there is no such thing as a line in these buffet layouts. The Princess folks will gradually come around and learn the fun of circling all the stations quickly and then doubling back to pick out what they want.
What I didn't like about the Celebrity buffet is how spread out it was and that you had to walk almost 1/3 of the length of the ship to check out all the stations. By the time I got something and then perhaps a sandwich, my food was cold. I also kept forgetting to get silverware which was a PITA because invariably, it was the other end of the buffet from where I found a table. Food is subjective but I wasn't impressed. The salad bar was wimpy compared to Princess.

I usually check out what is being offered in the HC first before I start loading my plate. Therefore I most often jump around to get the selections I had decided I wanted. I wait until that particular item is free and then grab some. I have never had any one complain that I could hear. (one of the advantages of being an old male with poor hearing!). Don't tell my partner but I have been known to suddenly lose almost all my hearing at convenient times. :rolleyes:

At our age we have, what my former supervisor called, selective hearing.

A possible insight into what you are "supposed" to do:

DW is a scooter user, and when we enter the HC, a buffet crew member comes to help her choose and carry her food. They, as Pam does, jump from station to station, dish to dish. They are always done and getting to a table before I am!

We do our part by not attempting the HC when it's really jammed with people.

Shalom from Tel Aviv. Andy.

Horizon court on Princess is easy if you follow the following procedure (on most ships);

1. Take elevator up to deck 14.
  2. Go either to Port or Starboard side stations (or check which one is open, during quite hours they close one side)
  3. Place hands under gismo to receive hand sanitizer.
  4. Grab large (or small if you not hungry) plate & small bowl if you want to keep stuff separated.
  5. Get all your cold food first, it is located on one side and in the middle.
  6. Get warm food last, it is all located towards the kitchen/pantry.
  7. Deserts are just across from where you exit the food stations. Load up if you like.
  8. A free ice cream cone is just outside Horizon Court toward the pool.
  9. Find a spot to sit down. No need to search for utensils, they are on the tables. So are napkins.
  10. Ask the very friendly :) servers for whatever drink you want and they bring it to your table. Some charges may apply :(.
  11. When finished leave used plates etcetera on the table and smile because you don't have to do dishes.:p
  12. Enjoy your free time until your next meal :D.

Theo

Isn't that the truth! I've had people scream at me to get back in line when all I've done is pop in to get some bacon (while no one else was getting it.)

My experience is that bacon (and sausage/ham/etc) is at the first hot station as you come in, so people still tend to line up there because everyone coming in wants some. Beyond that, it seems to open up, but there always seems to be a line for bacon!

Horizon court on Princess is easy if you follow the following procedure (on most ships);

2. Go either to Port or Starboard side stations (or check which one is open, during quite hours they close one side)
  4. Grab large (or small if you not hungry) plate & small bowl if you want to keep stuff separated.
  7. Deserts are just across from where you exit the food stations. Load up if you like.
  9. Find a spot to sit down. No need to search for utensils, they are on the tables. So are napkins.
  10. Ask the very friendly :) servers for whatever drink you want and they bring it to your table. Some charges may apply :(.
  11. When finished leave used plates etcetera on the table and smile because you don't have to do dishes.:p

Theo

And feel free to leave a tip for good service!

My experience is that bacon (and sausage/ham/etc) is at the first hot station as you come in, so people still tend to line up there because everyone coming in wants some. Beyond that, it seems to open up, but there always seems to be a line for bacon!
On the Diamond, it was in the middle near the carving station. :)

You know, I am so happy to see this thread. I've always gotten some pretty strange looks when I hop around. I have some food sensitivities, so really, I only get a few things that I can eat, so I hop to the stations that have those things. I have also waited in line, but it only takes me a couple of minutes to get what I need...I've always figured that was helpful, lol....one less body in the food area.

I always seem to jump in front of someone who doesn't grasp the concept that jumping is acceptable. I wish they'd give a tutorial on day one...maybe at the Muster drill! ;-)

We'd LOVE that! I was accused of breaking into the "line" more than once on our last cruise. When I said, "there is no line", I just got a "deer in the headlight's" look :eek:.

Really, someone needs to tell everyone what the "rules" are at the Princess buffet!

I so agree that there needs to be a tutorial or maybe a box in the Patters early on, explaining how the Horizon works. What I would love to see is a return of the sign when you first enter saying what food is featured for that time (I remember seeing this on at least one cruise, I swear). Maybe that will get people thinking as they are entering the serving area, what they might want to get. For those of us who are make a quick decision, there's nothing more frustrating to want to get a Belgian waffle and there's a line of people blocking you of people taking several minutes to get their food.

I also will just jump in, saying, "I just want some potatoes," and I'll get looks from those who seem to think every person is supposed to stop before every dish and get a little of this and a little of that. And take forever to do so.

At least the salad bar doesn't have much of a crowd -- but even that, I want to get some salad and maybe one or two of the add-ons and no dressing and then go to another area of food.

Theo

And when I get to step 12 (even though I do skip #8 as I eat ice cream back home but usually not on a cruise) and often I'll even go to the pitchers of lemonade and pour my own if the beverage crew is elsewhere, especially as we usually head for the back room of the Horizon (shhh, there's usually tables available there), there will still be people, who entered the HC at the same time, still trying to decide between the carving meat and the pasta dish. And giving dirty looks to the rest of us who dance around them to get food. And I'm just six years away from the seniors discount at movie theaters around here.

Maybe that will get people thinking as they are entering the serving area' date=' what they might want to get. For those of us who are make a quick decision, there's nothing more frustrating to want to get a Belgian waffle and there's a line of people blocking you of people taking several minutes to get their food[/color'].

At least on the Star, the Belgian waffles are available on the freestanding dessert island in the AM, so no worries about having to wait for pokey people! :D

Archived