Carnival sues BAE Systems

EZ4

The thing that stuck out to me from that article:

Court records indicate both Bernadette Johnson (widow of the BAE employee who died that day) and Alexander sued Carnival May 29 in Mobile County Court.

I wonder what the basis of that lawsuit was?

The thing that stuck out to me from that article:

I wonder what the basis of that lawsuit was?

I don't think her suit has any merit, as his death was not caused by the Triumph or Carnival. However, Carnival has sued her, probably to force her to drop her suit. If she's really lucky, she may get a settlement. If she's not, they'll probably both drop their countering suits and move on.

I don't think her suit has any merit, as his death was not caused by the Triumph or Carnival. However, Carnival has sued her, probably to force her to drop her suit. If she's really lucky, she may get a settlement. If she's not, they'll probably both drop their countering suits and move on.

She should withdraw her suit against Carnival and wait til there is a Settlement between BAE and CCL. Then go after BAE. But that scenario only works if BAE is found negligent.

She should withdraw her suit against Carnival and wait til there is a Settlement between BAE and CCL. Then go after BAE. But that scenario only works if BAE is found negligent.

She likely has a case against BAE, but not Carnival. Her lawyer has probably named everybody remotely connected somehow and hopes that at least one will stick. I'll be interested to see what comes of their claims against Signal and the Army Corp. They're the ones that the Triumph slammed into. They have no part in this, other than being victims.

Quote:

The suit names BAE Systems SSY Alabama Property Holdings, BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards Alabama LLC, Signal Ship Repair LLC, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and two individuals: Bernadette W. Johnson, the widow of BAE employee John “Buster” Johnson who was swept into the water and drowned as a result of the same wind gusts; and Jason Alexander another BAE employee.

Which just proves that Carnival lawyers are slime beneath pond scum.

I'm guessing that the real question is whether Carnival is responsible for what occurred when the ship broke loose considering that the ship had no navigational power.

I'm guessing that the real question is whether Carnival is responsible for what occurred when the ship broke loose considering that the ship had no navigational power.

I don't see how Carnival could be responsible. The bollards on the pier broke loose. That's a shipyard issue.

Quote:

The suit names BAE Systems SSY Alabama Property Holdings, BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards Alabama LLC, Signal Ship Repair LLC, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and two individuals: Bernadette W. Johnson, the widow of BAE employee John “Buster” Johnson who was swept into the water and drowned as a result of the same wind gusts; and Jason Alexander another BAE employee.

They are not scum....they have to protect their assets. Some law suits are filed as simply protection and not a means to an end.

While it is unfortunate, it is not unusual

slime

slime (slm)

n.

1. A thick sticky slippery substance.

2. Biology A mucous substance secreted by certain animals, such as catfishes and slugs.

3. Soft moist earth; mud.

4. A slurry containing very fine particulate matter.

5. Vile or disgusting matter.

6. Slang A despicable or repulsive person.

beneath

be·neath (b-nth)

adv.

1. In a lower place; below.

2. Underneath.

pond scum

pond′ scum`

n.

a mass of free-floating freshwater algae that forms a green scum on water.

I thought it was an excellent description of my feelings on the matter. Can't you just visualize the "ick" factor? Naming the widow of the man who died in that storm in a law suit is worse than scummy.

slime

slime (slm)

n.

2. Biology A mucous substance secreted by certain animals, such as catfishes and slugs.

beneath

be·neath (b-nth)

adv.

2. Underneath.

pond scum

pond′ scum`

n.

I thought it was an excellent description of my feelings on the matter. Can't you just visualize the "ick" factor? Naming the widow of the man who died in that storm in a law suit is worse than scummy.

And you didn't read where she sued them first?

slime

slime (slm)

n.

beneath

be·neath (b-nth)

adv.

2. Underneath.

pond scum

pond′ scum`

n.

I would guess it is just a countersuit to her claim against Carnival. While it is tragic that she lost her husband. If Carnival is not to blame for his death, they are taking the appropriate actions to protect their interest.

it is the way of sueing theses days ,, sue everyone even if they are innocent,, there is no common sense there days... it is all about chasing the buck

hmm and i wonder why my insurance premiums are so high,, the only ones making any money are the lawyers.

Been there done that ,,, sued because someone ran a stop sign smashed into us and we were the ones being sued for 10 million.. the law suit hung over our head for 6 1/2 years.. call me bitter ... our lawyer bill was 1/4 million, they got nothing :D and they got to pay thier own lawyer bill.. which made me really really happy.

we did considering counter sueing but that would make us no better than them

oh we did have to pay a $500 fine in the state of NY for driving a damaged truck through thier state even with a accident report... ... :eek:

i hope Carnival pays nothing, this was a freak accident and just someone tell me how they were at fault here ..

it is the way of sueing theses days ,, sue everyone even if they are innocent,, there is no common sense there days... it is all about chasing the buck

hmm and i wonder why my insurance premiums are so high,, the only ones making any money are the lawyers.

Been there done that ,,, sued because someone ran a stop sign smashed into us and we were the ones being sued for 10 million.. the law suit hung over our head for 6 1/2 years.. call me bitter ... our lawyer bill was 1/4 million, they got nothing :D and they got to pay thier own lawyer bill.. which made me really really happy.

we did considering counter sueing but that would make us no better than them

oh we did have to pay a $500 fine in the state of NY for driving a damaged truck through thier state even with a accident report... ... :eek:

i hope Carnival pays nothing, this was a freak accident and just someone tell me how they were at fault here ..

The lawyers for no less than 7 parties will make a killing off of this, now. Maritime law is so quirky that the billable hours will probably be staggering.

Quote:

they are suing George Costanza? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

I don't see how Carnival could be responsible.

The bollards on the pier broke loose. That's a shipyard issue.

I quite agree. Must have been some fairly crappy (old?) bollards?

- or did the ropes pop??(a more likely scenario).

Usually ropes will pop before a bollard caves in.

I am very curious what the women's claim is who is suing Carnival. Even this article says the two incidents were completely unrelated, like we already knew.

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/04/carnival_cruise_ship_triumph_b.html

In an unrelated incident, Mobile Fire-Rescue reported that a guard shack occupied by 2 BAE employees was blown into the water along the docks.

I quite agree. Must have been some fairly crappy (old?) bollards?

- or did the ropes pop??(a more likely scenario).

Usually ropes will pop before a bollard caves in.

It was reported that the bollards failed.

Archived