Summer Dog Sled Rides - which is best?

avalon007

You're welcome. We just were not willing to pay the price for the helicopter ride with sledding on a glacier. I'm sure that would be a neat experience as well. The cart ride with the education about running the Iditarod and the care of the dogs as well as petting the dogs was fun for us. Hope you enjoy it!

Oh and by the way you mentioned huskeys. You will find that the dogs are not the Siberian Huskeys that we usually think of.

Yes, that's my understanding. I look forward to learning about the types of dogs they do use. But I can tell you that my husky was born to run! We were lucky that she never ran away and got hurt and was able to live a long life. They are a tough breed to own. lol

We are a family of five so the helicopter glacier & sled dogs excursion at ~$600 apiece would be like the cost of another small vacation. As much as we would love it, we just can't justify it when the whole trip itself is already a huge splurge.

Sadly, I was really hoping to do it because I got to do something similar when I was 21. It was just the helicopter ride, but we landed right on the glacier and walked around. It was absolutely amazing and one of the highlights of my life. I am so grateful that my parents were able to spend the money on it so my dad and I could enjoy it together.

Unfortunately, the only way you can get to the glacier is by a helicopter ride.....The Seavey's do a nice job of a cart ride. They have a glacier tour also in Seward. I cannot recommend Turning Heads Kennel. The owner has just been banned from Iditarod because of a domestic violence conviction...Martin Buser also gives a nice talk but no tours. One of the reason that the glacier sled dog rides are so expensive is the costs involved in running a business on a glacier...which are all owned by the Government in some fashion or other. Everything on the glacier has to be brought up ....... and down....via helicopter...Even dog poop....It has to kept as pristine as it was before a dog or a human ever stepped foot on it. The Iditarod Hdqs. on Knik Goose Bay Road, Wasilla, not to far from Anchorage....about 30 minutes or so, has sled dogs rides for $10.00...at least that is what is was last year, I believe. The cart is driven by Ramey Redington, the son of Joe Redington who started the Iditarod. You don't go far, but you sure do get the feeling of what it is like...You also can play with puppies there, and there are some very cool movies about racing that you can watch....

Thanks Mrs. Bonnie! If I can't get in with Knik River, I'll go that way instead. I also shared your suggestion with another friend who has been so disappointed to learn that the number one thing on her Alaska list (mushing the dogs) wasn't going to work out. Maybe she'll find this an affordable substitution, I really appreciate your sentence about getting an authentic feel.

Do you know if there are any experiences where the visitors are controlling the sled? Or is it always a passenger situation?

So glad you are on this thread - your expertise is super helpful.

You can "help" drive the sled but you don't drive one by yourself....Too risky for everyone....but you certainly do get the feeling....They have a second sled called a tag sled which sometimes they will let you drive depending on which tour group you are with....and which tour guide. They have prescribed trails, but dogs are dogs....:) The operation on Knik will be much smaller and I suspect that you might be able to do more there than any place else....But I am not sure. The cart rides? No way can you ever drive a cart.

BTW, I have no idea what ships anyone is sailing on, but Princess has hired Libby Riddles, the first woman to have won Iditarod, to do a talk on all Princess ships about dog sledding, and her life as a musher. Libby is a wonderful spokesperson for the sport, she tells a wonderful story, and is a good friend. She usually brings 1-2 of her dogs on board so you can actually see one, and pet one....and have your picture taken with him/her if you would like. She does her talks in Juneau.

We used this place in Willow, AK which I think is approx. 1 1/2 hrs. from Anchorage area. It was really great, non commerical, and my son loved the walk in the woods with the puppies. I have some pics and more info in the review in my signature. Was my son's favorite excursion... I think he actually liked it as much as our visit to Anan (or more) - but he really likes dogs, and they had a really friendly border collie too - who was the family pet.

http://www.vernhalter.com/SummerKennelTours/

Ps. Though I could be off on distance from Anchorage as 1) two yrs ago and 2) we did it on our way from Glenn Highway to Talkeetna, or maybe it was on way back from Talkeetna... Vern's web site says approx. 1 hr from Anchorage.

Karen

Edited by JosieRhodes

We are doing the helicopter/ dog sledding excursion on Memorial Day in Juneau. I am torn on booking through Holland or directly with Coastal. Holland is $580/perso, Coastal is $510. Or, Coastal will do a second stop or $580. So, you get a bit more bang for the buck. It is a different glacier, not Mendenhall. Not certain that matters any. Booking directly with cruise ship provides a bit of security I guess...not certain which route to go.

If you happen to be on a Princess cruise, Libby Riddles....the 1st woman to have ever won Iditarod, gives a wonderful talk on each ship...She usually brings one of her retired dogs on board also. She is a good friend and a wonderful woman with a wonderful story....

Will this be listed in the Princess Patter daily listing of events on board? We will be sailing on the Ruby May 22. I would LOVE to hear her!! Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...