Day trips from Rome

dlhoward

We will be staying 4 nights at a hotel in Rome. Will be seeing some sites we didn't see the last time I was there. I was wondering what are the best day trips outside of Rome to go to? I can leave very early in the morning and get back at night so can go up to 14 hours.

I went to Amalfi Coast and Pompeii in 2009. I loved it. My husband is with me this time and thought he would like it too. But he said if I've already been there go somewhere different. But I haven't found anywhere as nice so far. It wouldn't bother me to go again.

If you are interested in Pompeii (and I seem to remember you were thinking of doing a full-day trip there), you should consider visiting the ancient Roman port of Ostia Antica.

In scope it's like Pompeii, but it's only about 20-30 minutes outside Rome by easy train. It doesn't have quite the glamour, but it is very well preserved, not as crowded, and makes better use of your time in Rome (most people could spend a half day there then return to Rome to do something else, although I can easily spend a full day there...)

Another option is a day trip to Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli. The first one includes the villa and gardens of a 16th century Cardinal with nearly unlimited means to beautify his estate. The second one is the remains of the villa built by the Emperor Hadrian in the 2nd century AD. Together they make quite a contrast. There are many bus tours that offer both full and half day tours covering both. Or you can do it on your own via bus or a combination of train and bus.

Here is what we are going. Maybe the day trip would be too much.

Tuesday - Arriving in Italy by train at 2 p.m. I assume it will be at least 4 p.m. by the time we get settled in our room. Probably go out to eat and roam around.

Wednesday - Tour the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St Peters - if time the Colosseum, Forum,

Thursday - This is the day we would do a day trip

Friday - If there isn't enough time on Wednesday we will be visiting the Colosseum and the Forum. Maybe Trevi Fountain.

Saturday - Head home.

My package for the Vatican, etc. says abt 1/2 a day so I assume I will have time to do the Colosseum and Forum on Wednesday.

If we ever go back to Europe it will be to other countries. Will we have a better time staying in Rome or doing the day trip to Amalfi/Pompeii. Like I said, I've already seen it and it was beautiful. Hubby hasn't but doesn't care what we do. Not a biggie on history, he'd rather go hunting.

I'm also a big big lover of food. Any ideas as to where to eat?

We did a full day with a driver and guide(who had planned ahead for us) and did a trip to some wineries in Tuscany so a day trip to Tuscany should not be out of the question.We had been to Florence and Tuscany before,but since we were in Rome for a longer stay we decidied to this trip..it was long,but not to bad at all.Just another idea.:)

Here is what we are going. Maybe the day trip would be too much.

Tuesday - Arriving in Italy by train at 2 p.m. I assume it will be at least 4 p.m. by the time we get settled in our room. Probably go out to eat and roam around.

Wednesday - Tour the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St Peters - if time the Colosseum, Forum,

Thursday - This is the day we would do a day trip

Friday - If there isn't enough time on Wednesday we will be visiting the Colosseum and the Forum. Maybe Trevi Fountain.

Saturday - Head home.

My package for the Vatican, etc. says abt 1/2 a day so I assume I will have time to do the Colosseum and Forum on Wednesday.

Even though your Vatican tour is only a half day, leave yourself some extra time in case you want to climb the dome or do something else in the vicinity (like Castel Sant'Angelo).

I'd recommend doing the Colosseum and Forum on separate days. There's no real reason to try to do the two "heavyweight" attractions on the same day when you've got the time to spread it out. I'm sure you'll enjoy it more that way.

Since you've been to the Amalfi Coast and your husband doesn't really care, I'd save yourselves the long trip. Really, there's plenty to see and do in Rome!

Last year we did a day trip to Florence from Rome. Took a 7:45 am train, arrived 9:15 am; returned on 8:15 pm train, arriving back in Rome at 9:45. Chiara with Florence Custom Tours met us at the train station for a walking tour of Florence in the morning and afternoon on our own. We had a great day and never felt rushed. The train was very comfortable.

While in Rome you might want to check out the Galleria Borghese Museum if you like sculptures. It was one of the highlights of our trip to Rome. Advance reservations are needed as they only admit a limited number in 2 hour intervals. Rick

These are all good suggestions but if your cruise stops in Naples you might want to consider Orvieto and/or Assisi, or perhaps the Tivoli Gardens and Hadrian's Palace. Four extra days in Rome! Lucky you!

My two favorite places for dinner in Rome:

1) Armando al Pantheon. a block from the Pantheon. Traditional Roman cuisine. It is a small place - if I remember from May, it has maybe 10 tables. I've enjoyed my dinner every time I've been there. Leave room for dessert - their traditional tarts are wonderful. They have a website you can look at - they show their menus there. If you have a vegetarian in your group, they have a good menu for them to choose from.

2) Roscioli. In Campo di Fiore. By day, a well-recognized "deli" with salumi and cheeses and wine. By night, it's an amazing restaurant. It's the only place where I planned to eat some from each course! The burrata for the appy is beyond words. Pastas are yummy (it's where I have learned to love Amaticiana). The entrees sooo good (I had the Roman meatballs, made with 5 different types of meat). The tiramisu they offer is very different from what we are used to in the US, very light and not overly sweet (not real sweet seems to be typical of Italy that I've seen so far). The wine list there is absolutely amazing and the price points are pretty fair for a good restaurant.

3) Pizzarium. Across the street from the Cipro Metro station. If you are doing the Vatican thing, wander down to the Cipro Metro. It's just a few blocks away. One of the streets that surround the station, Via della Meloria, is where you will find this little hole-in-the-wall gem. All different types of pizza al taglio (by the kilo). And, they have some other items on the wall menu - definitely try a couple supli al telefono ( fried rice balls with marinara sauce and mozarella cheese inside). No indoor seating, just a tiny counter to stand at (the place is "crowded" with 6 people!!!), and a single bench outside. But, really, really good pizza!

I will recommend you get Katie Parla's Rome app if you have an iPhone or iPad. Katie has a good list of restaurants to choose from. She doesn't pull any punches in her reviews. She also has a blog, parlafood.com. Take some time reading her entries and you'll find some good recommendations. I got to "know" her through her chowhound participation. When I was doing my last trip, I was able to email her and she helped me out. She did not steer me wrong. It was her recommendation of Roscioli (over Perilli, another well-known place) that gave me my best meal in Rome.

We will be staying 4 nights at a hotel in Rome. Will be seeing some sites we didn't see the last time I was there. I was wondering what are the best day trips outside of Rome to go to? I can leave very early in the morning and get back at night so can go up to 14 hours.

Orvieto,

Assisi,

Perugia,

] Ostia Antica

Depending on what your interests are and your budget...

I agree with Cruisemom on Ostia Antica. It's very interesting. I really enjoyed our time there. And an easy budget option.

If you ARE on a cruise and it stops in Naples, I would not try to go there from Rome.

If you aren't on a cruise, Florence is pretty easy from Rome. It's not a place I think about when thinking day trips, but it is pretty cheap and very easy to do on your own.

If you are not on a cruise and you have a decent budget to work with, I would hire a private tour for the day. On our last land trip we hired Romeinlimo for several different day trips. I had people with mobility issues with me and it was necessary. But, my top pick, to get out of town for that many hours AND my cruise was going to Naples at a different time, I would go to Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio. TOTAL highlights for me and I'd love another visit there.

But, that said, #1 if you aren't on a crusie, AND haven't been before, I'd hire a private tour company and go to Naples. I would not do that trek as a DIY tour though. It's an all day pain in the butt.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

We took the metro to the end of the line and then boarded a suburban bus.

There is a thread here that will give you blow by blow travel instructions.

We left early in the morning and returned in time for a late dinner.

It was definately a Plan B kind of day as we took the wrong bus and had to transfer in Tivoli for the correct bus to the Villa. We just missed the bus on the return and wound up having to wait 2 hours (it was May 1st - a huge holiday in Italy and a great reason to get out or the city). Had a wonderful local lunch somewhere in town while we waited.

The villa was beautiful - gorgeous grounds and pools. Worth the day trip if you've seen most of what Rome has to offer. We were staying in Rome for a week pre-cruise.

I would suggested Orvieto and Civita Di Bagnore. I just returned from this tour with allarounditaly.net. We were not very into history too. Views were stunning ...... I highly recommended to visit these places if you had been in Rome before.

Archived