Are there luggage trolleys at white bay..

When the whole network goes down, as it seems to at check-in periodically, it's not the usual human error (unless you mean either an underscoped solution, or programming issues, or tight budgets causing solution limitations). :D

When the whole network goes down, as it seems to at check-in periodically, it's not the usual human error (unless you mean either an underscoped solution, or programming issues, or tight budgets causing solution limitations). :D

Yes, I personally have not been delayed for a cruise due to computer failure at check in. Generally, if the whole computer system for a building goes down (not to to power supply) it would be due to either bad workload planning (overloading the system), system issues (incompatability of software) or human error causing the malfunction.

Speaking of computers breaking down. Tonight Virgin airlines suffered a meltdown with no computers. Many flights cancelled out of Sydney and Melbourne.

Again!

Another good reason for leaving some space around connections.

Yes, getting in the day before the cruise is always advisable unless you live within a reasonable distance.:D

That's often not realistic though, due to other commitments. Try to leave as much time above the minimums as possible though.

There was luggage trolleys at OPT two weeks ago

Wow ..That's interesting.. I thought Sydney Ports would not allow trolleys at the OPT. Were there many of them or only a couple One of the reasons there are no trolleys at OPT is that the cruise lines / Portside services companies only rent the terminal on the day of the turnaround and there is nowhere to store anything and everything they need for the day must be taken offsite so unless Sydney Ports has supplied the trolleys it seems a little strange.

Interestingly there are no permanent computers at the OPT.

The computers for each check in are provided from the ship and are set up at every turnaround by their own IT people. Most of the "crashes" seem to occur when the ship is new to the port or does not visit as regular although you would think it would be the same set up and systems for all ports. There is a huge amount of cabling etc to set up in a relatively small amount of time so the ocasional hic up is to be expected.

As you may know I do the RCI & Celebrity check ins and most of the "glitches" were with the Millenium & Solstice at the start of the season but seemed to be eliminated as the season progressed. Rhapsody and Radiance have been based here for a while now and apart from the occassional individual "station" crash there is rarely a total system crash.

If they're not permanent that makes even more risk as it has to be set up each time. If something is not configured correctly, it can affect the whole network from connecting, or not do so optimally (i.e. just be very slow).

Interestingly there are no permanent computers at the OPT.

The computers for each check in are provided from the ship and are set up at every turnaround by their own IT people. Most of the "crashes" seem to occur when the ship is new to the port or does not visit as regular although you would think it would be the same set up and systems for all ports. There is a huge amount of cabling etc to set up in a relatively small amount of time so the ocasional hic up is to be expected.

As you may know I do the RCI & Celebrity check ins and most of the "glitches" were with the Millenium & Solstice at the start of the season but seemed to be eliminated as the season progressed. Rhapsody and Radiance have been based here for a while now and apart from the occassional individual "station" crash there is rarely a total system crash.

Wow, that seems very labour intensive. I suppose what they spend in labour they save in infrastructure costs. :D

If they're not permanent that makes even more risk as it has to be set up each time. If something is not configured correctly, it can affect the whole network from connecting, or not do so optimally (i.e. just be very slow).

It is very simple to operate into a network but each computer or laptop is still independent so does not effect the other. Think LAN party or even election day technology. Eevn wireless systems can operate like this very quickly and easily:D

Wow, that seems very labour intensive. I suppose what they spend in labour they save in infrastructure costs. :D

It's probably due to the different reservation systems and limited space they have there. Not saving in costs, as the lines pay for the labour, not the port authority.

It is very simple to operate into a network but each computer or laptop is still independent so does not effect the other. Think LAN party or even election day technology. Eevn wireless systems can operate like this very quickly and easily:D

You mention election day technology, so I guess you haven't seen problems with the early results getting through. :D

It's not about connecting to the network independently, that is not the issue, but having all pieces of the network connect reliably together with the remote system.

It's probably due to the different reservation systems and limited space they have there. Not saving in costs, as the lines pay for the labour, not the port authority.

It would save them having computers set up in the OPT permanently with them only being used on boarding days for the 6 month season.:D

You mention election day technology, so I guess you haven't seen problems with the early results getting through. :D

It's not about connecting to the network independently, that is not the issue, but having all pieces of the network connect reliably together with the remote system.

The electronic voting is so much more efficient and effective for getting the results, (I work elections as a polling officer). I admit there have been treething issues for some states but the ACT is very efficient and that same technology works well in the electronic booths for the last federal election.:D

The electronic voting is so much more efficient and effective for getting the results, (I work elections as a polling officer). I admit there have been treething issues for some states but the ACT is very efficient and that same technology works well in the electronic booths for the last federal election.:D

One day that technology might roll out to other states. :D

Archived