appropriate attire for luaus

blakey

Capris or casual skirt for women, nice shorts or casual long pants for men ... and a casual but nice top/shirt. Sundresses for women are also popular. It's rare that you would want to wear long pants in Hawaii at sea level (even in the evening), and very few places where they would be required. I would avoid the extremes of very dressy (cocktail dress, sports jacket, tux) to very casual (grass cutting attire)... anything in between and you'll be comfortable. Sandals for footwear.

You shouldn't need anything more dressy than that for all of your time on land in Hawaii.

Thanks y'all. You've put my mind at ease. I was so worried about heels, nice dress and sweating my brains out.:D

And, Molokai, I'll be sure to check all the buttons on both of our shirts.

Molokai-Chuck said it perfectly :D. The main thing to remember for luaus is that you want to be comfortable for an outside evening. You may be sitting on benches and walking on uneven ground. Aloha wear is always perfect.....and comfortable. When coming to Hawaii...leave the heels, sequins, suit jackets, ties and formal wear at home.....please ;).

Comfort is key. I would suggest avoiding heels unless you go with a wedge. You'll be outside & doing some walking, so pick something comfy. I wore a long maxi dress to each of the luaus we went to and felt both appropriate and comfortable. Also, I'd suggest bringing a hoodie or the like that can serve several purposes: 1) if you get chilly after the sun goes down 2) protection from bug bites and 3) cushion for your tushie when the benches get too hard :D

If you want to see what people have worn at the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui, go to Google Maps. Type in Old Lahaina Laua then go all the way down to street level and the map will actually let you scroll around through the luau where you can see the people. Brings back memories. :D

Bill

Archived