Walking outside on the ship at night

Unless the weather gets too bad... We have had lock down twice on Independence (different cruises) due to high winds (sailed a force 11 in the bay of biscay which was fun) so the staff stopped you from going outside for safety reasons.

That's one of my favorite times to be on deck!!! It's so peaceful and enchanting, thinking of where you are and the wide open ocean, hearing the waves and seeing nothing as you look over the rail, all the while walking and having an after dinner drink in hand and heading to the night show..... now you have me dreaming again....... :)

These replies bring back happy memories, also nice to sit undercover on the 'promenade' deck during the rainy times and, a new one for me was walking through central park on Oasis at night, so quiet an peaceful

[quote name='sanditoes4']That's one of my favorite times to be on deck!!! It's so peaceful and enchanting, thinking of where you are and the wide open ocean, hearing the waves and seeing nothing as you look over the rail, all the while walking and having an after dinner drink in hand and heading to the night show..... now you have me dreaming again....... :)[/quote]

Aww, you're killing me...couldn't have put it better myself! The ocean smells so good at that time of the night :)

[quote name='hairymelon']Yes you can and I did it regularly when we had our recent cruise on Indy. It is beautiful and peaceful up there :)[/quote]

I prefer the bow. :)

Really missed that on Oasis other than for a Crown and Anchor sail away deal from Nassau. :(

Aw thank you everyone, I'm so pleased as its my favourite reason for cruising, being out in the dark with a drink. I only started cruising a couple of years ago, on a much smaller ship, and I remember looking into the sea and it was so quiet and peaceful and I could just make out the horizon, and I burst into tears I have never experienced anything like it. the med was really calm that night and it was as though the ship was slicing through butter.

I also did the Bay of Biscay last year, but its worth it for what comes afterwards, but not quite so calm ...

I'm so pleased you can go up there I always worry there won't be enough outside space for me !! :)

[SIZE=4]Oh memories.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]On the Freedom, walking around catching part of the movie playing, my hair blowing in the wind, holding my husbands hand.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Cannot wait till we sail the Allure.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]I know the running track is on a lower deck, but, being out looking over the waves..........heaven.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Sea Ya[/SIZE]

On our very first cruise and our very first night, we were so excited we just couldn't sleep. We decided to get up at 3am and go explore the ship. We discovered the top deck was open and empty of all others. We stayed up there (pretty much alone) until the sun came up. It's a really beautiful memory that we will never forget!

[quote name='sanditoes4']now you have me dreaming again....... :)[/QUOTE]

Me too! I really love walking around the decks at night, especially on the bow where the total darkness with no lights means that you can see more stars than you ever can on land, the view of the moon reflecting on the on the water is also just magical.

we were on the oasis back in the spring. We woke up to a blasting rumbling storm. The sky was lighting up with lightening. 3:00 AM and we decided to check out the storm from the front of th ship for we were heading right into the storm. The solarium was deserted but for a few crew hands cleaning and hosing down areas. Quiet and peaceful hearing the rain hit the glass roof. We laid back on one of those double loungers and relished in the show the storm provided while we were safely under cover. Living the dream.

[quote name='CRUISEFAN0001']Ya just never know what you'll find walking around the ship during the night...this view was about 3am...[/QUOTE]

Ah amazing. looks like we'll stay up or night on the odd occasion too then!

I think it was near Morocco that we saw a cargo ship In distance while the sun was coming up, we took some photos but they just weren't as good as the real thing.

I love going into Lisbon in the morning too when it's misty.

[quote name='nb125']Is it possible to see stars from the balcony or is there too much light pollution from the ship?[/quote]
Sometimes there's too much light to see many stars from the balcony. Usually there's one or two places on deck with a minimum on light where you can see stars much better. The best place varies by ship, so you just have to walk around at night and find the best place.

[quote name='nb125']Is it possible to see stars from the balcony or is there too much light pollution from the ship?[/quote]

Possible, but it's not as bright as if you were out on the bow where all of the lights are behind you.

[quote name='G85 SS']Possible, but it's not as bright as if you were out on the bow where all of the lights are behind you.[/QUOTE]

And you have to hold on to your skirt, which is difficult if you have a glass of wine to hold on to as well.

Archived