This year we are breaking the rules

regretting the title already..... sorry

Even though I meant it in a light hearted way - I am looking for opinions as a lot of the formal MDR threads are not targeted towards European cruises.

In my social life here in the UK - most people my age will do almost anything to avoid wearing anything smart. It goes against my nature to break even a suggestion, but I want both. I love the MDR on formal night, but I want to wear a less formal outfit.

On our first RCCL cruise I wore a fantastic ladies dinner suit with a bright pink sequinned top underneath - my goodness, that outfit got a lot of attention - almost as if people had never seen anything like it. Obviously, I did not repeat that one.....

Guess what, the CC dress police have no clout or authority, here or on any ship. Have never seen anyone ejected from the mdr or turned away as long as the greeter/person at the entrance allows you in you are good to go. I do think you would be pushing a tad if you tried shorts and flipflops , but your

post does not infer that at all

This year will be our fourth cruise with RCCL. We have cruised with other cruiselines but are now devoted to Royal.

As a family, we have always enjoyed the MDR - we like to do MTD and have a table to ourselves - no, we are not antisocial, we just like dinner time to be 'our' time :)

Last year, as always, we enjoyed three formal nights - and my daughter and I wore floor length dresses.

I have to admit, on quite a few occasions, my daughter and I felt quite over dressed walking through the MDR, as we opted for dresses each night (this was a decision based on the fact that our dresses were lighter, as we always struggle with overweight baggage).

This year, I have decided to rebel and not 'do' formal nights at all. I am FAR from scruffy, but even on formal nights last year, we felt like we were in the minority. Many of the women wearing the same clothes as any other night and the men not wearing a jacket or tie.

It does go against my nature to 'break the rules' but last year we felt there was no difference to most guests between 'formal/casual/smart casual' and I felt uncomfortable not being in jeans or casual skirts like most of the other guests.

Also, most of the guests who wore formal, got changed immediately after dinner, which made me feel that I stood out even more! :eek:

I think that cruises are becoming less formal and my age range (late 40s) are choosing to be more casual.

Has anyone ever been ejected from the MDR on formal night when wearing smart casual instead of formal?

Who's rules? Your own? We saw many people dining in ALL venues on the Allure on formal night in casual attire. :)

It does go against my nature to 'break the rules' but last year we felt there was no difference to most guests between 'formal/casual/smart casual' and I felt uncomfortable not being in jeans or casual skirts like most of the other guests.

Also, most of the guests who wore formal, got changed immediately after dinner, which made me feel that I stood out even more! :eek:

Interesting. I've been on more than twice as many RCI cruises as you, and never once did I feel out of place dressing up for formal nights, nor did it seem like the majority of those who dressed up changed right after dinner.

There've always been some who did not go formal, but very few jeans, and it's been probably 75 - 80% on average who were dressed formal to semi-formal. I'm not sure if it's perception or a drastic difference from on ship to another.

You dont HAVE to get all elegant on formal night, but then I think my husband wearing Khakis and a polo is formal enough. FORMAL NIGHT IS FORMAL NIGHT, if you dont like it, go eat in windjammer, in your shorts of bathing suits.

This year will be our fourth cruise with RCCL. We have cruised with other cruiselines but are now devoted to Royal.

As a family, we have always enjoyed the MDR - we like to do MTD and have a table to ourselves - no, we are not antisocial, we just like dinner time to be 'our' time :)

Last year, as always, we enjoyed three formal nights - and my daughter and I wore floor length dresses.

I have to admit, on quite a few occasions, my daughter and I felt quite over dressed walking through the MDR, as we opted for dresses each night (this was a decision based on the fact that our dresses were lighter, as we always struggle with overweight baggage).

This year, I have decided to rebel and not 'do' formal nights at all. I am FAR from scruffy, but even on formal nights last year, we felt like we were in the minority. Many of the women wearing the same clothes as any other night and the men not wearing a jacket or tie.

I think that cruises are becoming less formal and my age range (late 40s) are choosing to be more casual.

Has anyone ever been ejected from the MDR on formal night when wearing smart casual instead of formal?

formal night is a night to kick it, but I am kicking it every night. I dont get to go out with hubby that often so I think of a 7 day cruise/dinners, as 7 date nights. 2 formal kick ass dresses to pop his eye sockets out, and the rest , nice dresses, not SUNDRESSES, almost Sunday church style dresses. I dont understand why people cant take a little time to shave, and brush a little xtra. If that is the case, go to windjammer. You dont have to totally gutsy up. Dress shirt with a tie, isnt gonna kill you for dinner, and if it does, GO TO WINDJAMMER!

I honestly don't understand this. If the suggested dress is formal, and I am the only one dressed to the 9s, I don't feel embarrassed, because I know I look good. If I am underdressed, that's a different story.

I will bet you looked fantastic.

First my question:

When did buying some 29 cent rhinestones and glueing them to flip-flops suddenly become part of formal night? Yup, seen it twice with nice dresses on the ladies.

A product invented for school showers has taken over the earth!!!!

Other point.....yes have seen folks turned away on a formal night.....He was Drunk, wearing a sleeveless t-shirt, shorts and sandals....and the t-shirt was "advising" the ladies of his talents.

So it does happen.

A cruise is a special occasion for us and we get dressed up every night. Not always a tie for me but always smart shirt etc. best dresses for Diane and don't care at all how anyone else dresses. As long as we are content we see no reason to judge anyone else on their dress. Yes it would be nice to see formal nights adhered to but that dress code does not appeal to everyone.

Interesting. I've been on more than twice as many RCI cruises as you, and never once did I feel out of place dressing up for formal nights, nor did it seem like the majority of those who dressed up changed right after dinner.

There've always been some who did not go formal, but very few jeans, and it's been probably 75 - 80% on average who were dressed formal to semi-formal. I'm not sure if it's perception or a drastic difference from on ship to another.

After taking pictures and having dinner, I go back and change out of my suit and get into casual hanging around the ship, club, bar and shows clothes which is usually shorts, sneakers and a polo type shirt.

After taking pictures and having dinner, I go back and change out of my suit and get into casual hanging around the ship, club, bar and shows clothes which is usually shorts, sneakers and a polo type shirt.

Sure. Quite a few people do that. I've just never noticed it to be a clear majority of people. For those with traditional dining, the shows are usually right before or right after dinner, so those who are going to the show tend to go directly from dinner to the theater or vice versa.

I don't have any problem with the fact that some people prefer to go back to their cabin and change. I just am surprised that someone who remained in their dinner clothes felt out of place. :cool:

I'm actually looking forward to wearing my tux on formal nights. I wear a suit and tie to work every day, and I'm most comfortable dressing like that because I know that I look my best. This reflects positively on my girlfriend as well.

I say, it's your vacation .... do what you feel comfortable doing and enjoy yourself! That being said, I also feel that if the cruiseline posts the 'dress' for the evening, one should probably at least try to comply .... or otherwise, like others say, stay in your bathing suit and go to the buffet! There are options here! LOL!! We've cruised mostly RCCI, 2 Carnival and HAL once. We've seen some VERY dressed and some like they were still at the Port. We always dress for formal night. I had one dress once that was pretty cool and walking around that night, others that didn't dress complimented me! I didn't feel out of place ... it was a dynamite dress and I worked hard to 'get into it' at the gym! LOL!! So, I felt good about the comment! My husband hates to wear long pants and shoes ... he's much more comfortable in shorts and sandals ... and I always have to suggest STRONGLY that he take the shorts off! LOL!! He wears pretty much a nice Tommy Bahama shirt and nice pants most nights and I usually wear a dress of some sort every night. We sort of dress as we would if we were going out to dinner, regardless of whether it's casual or smart casual or whatever. On formal nights, I've worn a long dress, a short cocktail dress or something like I would wear to a wedding, church, etc. My husband will wear a tie and jacket on formal nights, but not a tux or anything like that. Most times we stay in what we have on after dinner, but we've been known to change on occasion .... especially if I'm uncomfortable from EATING TOO MUCH and need to get into something more 'roomy'!! LOL!! That's what we do and what we're comfortable with. I don't like to judge people, so I say, do what you think you feel comfortable with, not what others will think of you! ;)

I would say if you decided to not bring the formal wear you will be just fine. I think it depends though on the ship/passengers. On our one and only cruise we brought the floor-length gown and suit. After dinner on the first formal night we returned to the cabin to change. We stepped back out into the promenade and felt like the only ones underdressed. We returned to the cabin and got formal again for the rest of the evening. :p We enjoyed dressing up. If you want to skip it this time, skip it! Have a great time!

I do not think it is only cruises that have become more casual. I weny to a New Years dinner and normally most people would be in traditional Scottish dress but this year I was horrified to see that I was the only person there who was dressed formally. Most folk had on shirt & pants. Oh everone commented how smart I was but that did help my embarasment at sticking out like sore thumb I think it is more to do with society and your right formal dress is becoming less I am for the first time ever not taking my Highland dress with me on my next cruise in two weeks, although I will be taking a suit. I just wonder that if a company boos said to there employees that a suit should be formal at a dinner, how many employees would turn up in jeans and T shirt. I sympathise with you completely.

Pleeease wear your Highland dress!! I love a M-I-K! (Man in kilt)

Teddie :)

I'm surprised at the lack of formal wear you've seen on your recent cruises. On our recent Allure cruise it seemed EVERYONE was dressed to the nines for formal night.... Well...let me restate that.... everyone was dressed very well, most women in cocktail dresses and about 10-20% in long gowns and men in suites or jacket and ties with about 10-15% in tuxes. I think we only saw one or two families/couples under dressed at either formal night.

We love dressing up for formal night and hope it never completely falls to the wayside.

You can probably answer your own question. Did you see any of the people you refer to in the 4th last paragraph get ejected. ?

When I read these threads and see posts with answers of "wear what you want", I sort of agree. BUT, only to a point. I sure do not like it when someone sits at our table, or even close to our table wearing a sleeveless T-Shirt with armpit hair hanging out all over the place.

On one cruise a woman actually sat at a table near ours with braided armpit hair. I had to change seats because I could not stop staring and wondering what she was thinking. But what the heck, it is her vacation and she can dress the way she wants. Of course I wouldn't have minded the chain mail dress another post said a woman showed up in. Very revealing.

Oh here YOU go!:D

AGAIN: If you NOT admitted to MDR, Do NOT come back on here & complain!:p

I'm surprised at the lack of formal wear you've seen on your recent cruises. On our recent Allure cruise it seemed EVERYONE was dressed to the nines for formal night.... Well...let me restate that.... everyone was dressed very well, most women in cocktail dresses and about 10-20% in long gowns and men in suites or jacket and ties with about 10-15% in tuxes. I think we only saw one or two families/couples under dressed at either formal night.

We love dressing up for formal night and hope it never completely falls to the wayside.

I was thinking the same thing. I think time of year, ship and itinerary all affect how "formal" formal night is. In our many cruises, we have never felt overdressed.

Not at all! You're not breaking any rules as long as you're not wearing shorts, tank tops, etc...

Formal Nights, as well as other "themed" nights such as Caribbean Night which also drifted away are nothing more than suggested "themed" nights....if you don't want to participate, there is no one you need to apologize too....

It's not the people who do not dress formal I pay attention to, it's the stuffy old biddies that smack their lips in disgust I get a kick out of....Kind of reminds me of my youth when young men started to wear their hair long....got a kick out of the establishments reactions. And we certainly weren't breaking any rules, per say...just OLD traditions.

The times they are a chang'in....

Archived