Being contacted post-cruise, how long does it take?

selma

Wondering if you guys can offer me any insight how long it generally takes for HAL to contact passengers post-cruise? Was informed by management onboard to expect a phone call after coming home to follow up on a situation onboard, however not being sure if that would end up being Seattle as would be in standard protocol or delegated to national HAL offices given my residence and accomodating language.

Silly of me, I know, but persuing that with regards to some insight to time frame was not on my list at that moment. It's not like I'm waiting by the phone 24/7 :rolleyes: or wont contact them myself if finding it takes HAL to long in my book, but am wondering if I can get some insight here on what I might expect how long it tends to take them to follow up. Curiousity would not be a wrong word, so reckoned this might be a place to see if there is any rhyme or reason to these things or not.

Weeks likely at the shortest, months possibly and not at all is also a possibility.

I would advise writing a concise letter outlining your issues and mailing it to HAL headquarters in Seattle. While none of us can say you will or will not get a telephone c all, I would not count on it.

I don't know if snail mail vs e-mail gets their attention more but it is my instinct that if I had a real problem, I would put pen to paper........ or call Guest Relations.

Was your difficulty not addressed on the ship?

Did the GRM not attempt to work out the problem? The Hotel Director? The Dining Room Manager? The Chief Housekeeper? etc

I've never been promised a call on a ship - so. .... If I were in your situation - I would send off an email stating that you were promised on, why and the issues on the ship.

I used to use snail mail and for the last number of years have used the email under the contacts on the HAL website and have always gotten answers.

Snail mail, email I don't think it makes any difference.

But I would follow up if there was an issue you needed responded to that they could not resolve on board.

Where possible problems were eventually adressed. Whether or not sufficient, opinions vary per situation. Some stuff that would've not been a problem normally but did add up and thus were mentioned? Not only adressed but very quickly and very thouroughly followed up on. Others? Not so, like for instance daily maintanence yet no hot water for 11 days. It all does add up and is on the "list" so to say.

Having said all that, what triggered the statement of there being follow up by phone (and is also priority 1 for me) is the fact that I ended up injured due to lack of maintanence/housekeeping/safey checks. Had no clue until it happened, but apparently that triggers a whole load of procedures. Some of which I was part of, some others I was informed about, incl. it apparently being the norm of being called when injured.

All in all, it's not something that could've even been fully dealt with onboard. That can happen, as due accidents. Things unfortunately just added up very badly this cruise. All the more disappointing when on the other hand having had such a great experience with so many crewmembers who did go above and beyond when it comes to accessibility. Left me feeling very torn. Hopefully the bad experiences were draw of the luck (although totally unacceptable for some of them). The positive experience would have me rebook not just HAL but the Rotterdam within a heartbeat again. At the same time when coming back for another cruise; what if it was not "just" very bad luck? What if an important issue arises and again does not get taken care off properly or adressed? How is my accident being followed up so indeed this should not be occuring again?

So for me the follow up is important. If writing in is what it ends up needing, by all means I will definately be doing so. Hopefully it can just be a non longwinding follow up.

Thanks for providing more info.

After reading your second post, I know I would either write snail or e-mail. I would not wait and see if someone in HAL Seattle offices contact you. You don't want this to collect dust and fade away forgotten.

IMO, it is best to pursue further conversation while it is still relatively 'fresh'.

Hopefully you are healing well from your accident.

Very sorry you had unfortunate situations during your cruise.

Not having hot water for extended period of time is never acceptable.

Thanks for the replies from all three! Guess I know what I have to do, and truth be told; sigh. But if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

Unfortunately not healing well. My health comes with a very poor woundhealing and the location of the injury makes it that more difficult. I'm lucky if it'll just take a couple months to get to a status quo, time will tell.

Some of which I was part of, some others I was informed about, incl. it apparently being the norm of being called when injured.

Off hand, I can think of three times I was injured while cruising on HAL. Each incident was reported; two required medical treatment.

None of them resulted in a follow-up call once I was home.

If this matters to you, I would be in contact with Seattle, just to bring it back to their attention, and to let them know you intend to pursue the matter to conclusion.

I would not write a letter to Holland America unless I wanted or needed something from them. There is no point in telling them about your injury or lack of hot water again. If you expect them to pay your medical bills or compensate you in any way, spell that out in a letter.

Jacqui, it's a bit offtopic but how was the Baltic?

FABULOUS!!!! :D:D THE ENTIRE CRUISE AND THE ITINERARY WAS WONDERFUL:) including our river cruises down the Kiel Canal and the Elbe.

you should check out my next itinerary (in my signature) it you like fabulous itineraries. Part of the joy of the elegant explorer are the unique itineraries:D

apologies for the thread drift:o

Selma, I do hope you are back to normal soon!

I would not hold my breath for the call, but they do remember our concerns. We were on the Rotterdam January 2012 with our previous cruise being in December 2009 on the Westerdam. I received a letter and personal contact asking me if everything was all right on this cruise as I was identified as someone who'd complained!

We did write a complaint/concern on a safety issue on our recent RCCL cruise. DH emailed them and someone called within an hour. We were amazed. Complaints on the ship were disregarded but apparently the head office paid more attention.

I would not hold my breath for the call, but they do remember our concerns. We were on the Rotterdam January 2012 with our previous cruise being in December 2009 on the Westerdam. I received a letter and personal contact asking me if everything was all right on this cruise as I was identified as someone who'd complained!

<snip>.

We've read here of many people getting those letters. If you made any negative comments on a previous cruise, that letter arrives in your cabin on your next cruise. We received the letter once and appreciated they had made note our previous cruise had not been perfect but it is rather common place now they send those letters.

If you consider the matter imporiant enough to seek some redress other than an apology I suggest you state your intention of contacting a lawyer if matters are not resolved in a timely manner.No need to sound threatening as long as you deliver the message.

Don't wait for them to initiate the contact you make the first move.

Good luck and hope you recover.

Those of you noticing problems that happened prior were known on your new cruise; it should be. Well......... let's just say that's the info I got. One of the supervisors told me that any and all complaints are logged to the person, so that it will show up on cruises you go on after that. This should trigger more rigorous action if running into anything again. If you ask me, just be rigorous from the bat. ;)

Jacqui; know that itinerary, the Prinsendam was pretty heavily pushed on our cruise (almost daily mail advertising certain routes). I'm expecting it's size might be a bit too intimate for my likings. Have got my eye on a Baltic, Spain&Portugal combo and a 51-day Med, Middle-East and South-Africa. All of 'm on the Rotterdam. At the moment they're just eyes, want to see how this gets wrapped up. Things happen, how that gets dealt with is very telling imho. At the moment that has me worried, but we'll see.

Lawyer? Very much not my way of communicating. Let's just hope it's not needed.

Anyhow, contacted and sure enough it's like pulling teeth again. It's become norm fast but again another person saying something totally different, another person again giving other directions etc. Have fired off an email, not just wanting follow up but keeing informed of reading mail, if gets transfered to other department etc. I'm a pretty flexible and understandable person but that isn't unlimited. Shame one has to be so on things, but if need be so be it.

I must me missing something here...why is HAL 'responsible' for your injury, was there a security issue in the stateroom.

And when you say you did not have any hot water for 11 days, what this only in your cabin or on the whole ship. I have seen no hot water for one hour or 2 in periods of heavy use, but for 11 days.....what was the problem.

Archived