Sleeveless in Canada?

We are going on a New England/Canada cruise that goes from the end of Sept to the beginning of Oct. I am trying to plan what to pack and I am wondering if it will be too cold to wear sleeveless tops to dinner? I will be on a Norwegian ship and I have a couple sleeveless tops that are kind of fancy, but I am not sure if they will be appropriate.

I live in Florida, so I am having a hard time thinking that it may be cold in Sept.

I also have a maxi dress that has a white background with blue, green and black stripes. I don't know it that would be to summery to wear on the cruise.

Thank you!

The dining rooms are always kept at a constant temperature, so you only have to worry about it if you are a smoker and need to hang out on an outside deck. Evening wear tends to expose more skin regardless of the temperature outside.

I don't think it matters if you're going to Canada or not :) - dining rooms may be chilly no matter where the ship is - I bring along a lot of sleeveless tops - but also a cardigan or wrap in case I need it (I find the theatre is usually freezing as well!)

I have a very light weight white lacy sweater which goes over sleeveless or short sleeves. (cuts the chill) I have a mid thigh delicate crochet 3/4 sleeve top that I love to wear over sleeveless dresses tops because it is not "hot" but keeps bra straps :eek: and flabby arms under control. (for warm weather) I also have a light weight turquoise sateen jacket (button in front) that goes with 3 dresses plus black white silver combinations. (midweight).

A very light weight velvet like black jacket with maybe fancy buttons has worked well especially fall and winter and a Norweigian fancy sweater over black slacks for regular nights worked well and could also be worn as a jacket (very warm) and I have seen really lovely shawls and scarves used to cut the chill and dress the dress. Especially lovely ones on the Asian cruises.

I will bet Ms Florida lady that you will be a bit chilly on the water in Canada in late September. I did this cruise starting Oct.4 and we saw snow flurries in the air in Quebec City and wind and moisture will seem very wintery to you even if temps are mild. I would suggest a fleece or midweight (OK Florida "heavy" ) coat and layers to go under. People who live in Florida often think that 65 degrees is "cold". If you don't use it --no problem - you had great weather! (I lived in Fla and travel there very often and know the problems of "coming north")

Don't worry about seasons -- for dress in the MDR dresses were lowcut and sleeveless and many were beautiful. Others you wonder if they had a mirror in their cabin:eek::D

Have a great cruise and hope you get some leaf peeping in!

Thanks everyone, I will definitely bring a sweater or wrap for the dining room. And you are right, I do thing 65 degrees is cold! I am bringing mostly long sleeves and sweaters for daytime, a jacket, a heavier coat, gloves, hats and a scarf.

Thanks for letting us know that we might see snow. My dh is thinking that it won't be "that cold".

Thanks everyone, I will definitely bring a sweater or wrap for the dining room. And you are right, I do thing 65 degrees is cold! I am bringing mostly long sleeves and sweaters for daytime, a jacket, a heavier coat, gloves, hats and a scarf.

Thanks for letting us know that we might see snow. My dh is thinking that it won't be "that cold".

While it is always possible, the likelihood of snow in early October is rare. You can as easily have days that are in the 70's or days that are in the 40's. Bring a little of everything.

I wear sleeveless dresses to dinner with or without a wrap 12 months a year, no matter where we are sailing. I always have something available to hide arms I don't wish to show or to keep off a chill. I am not often too cold in MDR.

I am bringing mostly long sleeves and sweaters for daytime, a jacket, a heavier coat, gloves, hats and a scarf.

The locals will be wearing short-sleeved tees and sandals...

They were when we took a Canada/New England cruise at that time of year. Although, being from Southern Ontario, I found the maritime provinces a bit chilly. I wore a jean jacket and felt a bit overdressed. ;)

Hat, gloves and wool scarf might be a bit extreme. It isn't likely you'll wish to bundle up quite that much. :)

I've lived in Atlantic Canada my entire life and have never seen snow in October.

I also think the gloves, hat and scarf will be a bit much (especially during the day when it's warmer). The weather we get in the fall isn't that much different then New England or upstate NY.

I've lived in Atlantic Canada my entire life and have never seen snow in October.

I also think the gloves, hat and scarf will be a bit much (especially during the day when it's warmer). The weather we get in the fall isn't that much different then New England or upstate NY.

Your weather might not be much different than New England or Upstate NY, but it will be a lot different than South Florida. If it is in the 40's or even the low 50's (Who am I kidding, even in the high 50's) I will need my hat and gloves.

I am the lady that you see at DisneyWorld in January that is all bundled up while the people from up North are walking around in shorts and t-shirts.

Your weather might not be much different than New England or Upstate NY, but it will be a lot different than South Florida. If it is in the 40's or even the low 50's (Who am I kidding, even in the high 50's) I will need my hat and gloves.

I am the lady that you see at DisneyWorld in January that is all bundled up while the people from up North are walking around in shorts and t-shirts.

I only mentioned the weather in New England and Upstate NY as a reference point.....meaning that since they don't get snow in early October, Atlantic Canada doesn't either.

In your original post you mentioned that you're doing a New England/Canada cruise but you only expressed a concern over what to wear in Canada. I was simply pointing out that the temps are the same...therefore if you'll need a scarf, hat and gloves in Canada you'll also need it in Boston, Bar Harbor and any of the New England ports you visit too ;)

I am all so taking a Canada New England cruise this Sept. I love visiting Canada and this will be my fourth cruise there. We live out side of Rochester, NY and go to the Falls a lot.

Only one cruise is was cold and it rained, that was in early Aug.! I felt like a ice cube in St Johns. Another time we went in late Oct. and the weather was beautiful. The temp. inside the ship will be the same as if you were leaving from Fl.

I am (like you) looking at my "stuff" and trying to plan what to bring. I have lots of bright colors in my closet for warm weather. I am a snow bird who does not see the cold weather. I have started to make some skirts in darker colors for me to take for non dressy nights. I would bring what you like and just bring something to cover you shoulders to keep the AC off of you.

Our one and only New England/Canada cruise went as far north as Quebec City. Our cruise was late Sept. into October....and we are also form S.Florida. Let me tell you it was freezing! And not only for us southerners..but for the locals, too! We truly needed those gloves, hats, scarfs, etc - along with a winter coat. I wish I could remember the actual temps but I can't. But I know that by the time we got to Quebec City, it truly was freezing and everyone had hats and gloves on and even scarves wrapped around their necks and mouths. I know the weather is not the same every year and it was a few years ago that we did this cruise, but truly it was freezing even for those we met from Canada.

Take your cold weather clothes - if you need them, you will be so grateful that you have them!

Cindiedee

In your original post you mentioned that you're doing a New England/Canada cruise but you only expressed a concern over what to wear in Canada. I was simply pointing out that the temps are the same...therefore if you'll need a scarf, hat and gloves in Canada you'll also need it in Boston, Bar Harbor and any of the New England ports you visit too ;)

Hi Lovemylab, Thank you, I guess I wasn't too clear in my title, I should have said Canada/NE. :o

Our one and only New England/Canada cruise went as far north as Quebec City. Our cruise was late Sept. into October....and we are also form S.Florida. Let me tell you it was freezing! And not only for us southerners..but for the locals, too! We truly needed those gloves, hats, scarfs, etc - along with a winter coat. I wish I could remember the actual temps but I can't. But I know that by the time we got to Quebec City, it truly was freezing and everyone had hats and gloves on and even scarves wrapped around their necks and mouths. I know the weather is not the same every year and it was a few years ago that we did this cruise, but truly it was freezing even for those we met from Canada.

Take your cold weather clothes - if you need them, you will be so grateful that you have them!

Cindiedee

Hi Cindiedee, Thanks for posting this. It sounds like it was unusually cold when you took this cruise. But, that is what I want to be prepared for. It is going to feel strange to pack hats, gloves and a coat in Sept when it is still in the 90s here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived