Best way to go from Rome to Venice

cwayne

I was just going to say these two things that have just been said:

a) if you want to go to Venice, fly there!! Then train to Rome and/or Civitavecchia for your cruise. But don't miss Rome! I didn't pick up on that part originally.

b) go second class! The only time we have not is when the business class fare on the Eurostar through the Chunnel was about $10 more than second class--otherwise, second is fine!!!

We were planning on flying into Rome and spending a couple of days there and then taking the train to Venice since that is where our cruise sails from. It is a 13 night overnight in Venice and Istanbul aboard the Equinox. The cruise ends in Barcelona, so we would have to fly home from there.

We have taken high speed train to Venice for cruises, if you have large suitcases to handle, will be a logistical challenge getting from train station to cruise terminal.

Option 1: Get off at Mestre railway station, there take a land taxi to cruise terminal. Less crowd but no elevator or escalator, you handle your suitcases from platform down to the pedestrian subway and up to the station main lobby.

Option 2: Get off at Venice Santa Lucia railway station, always crowded and 1500 feet away from P.Roma. Use the railway station leftmost exit, where a ramp save you carrying suitcases down the steps. You turn right on exit and cross the Constitution bridge to P.Roma, or take a vaporetto (Euro 6.5/person) for a 3 min journey to P.Roma. From there you can take a land taxi (just a few minutes) or the people-mover to cruise terminal.

If you take people-mover, make your way through the handicap turnsile:D, it's wider and the turnstile arms swing back slower, giving you and your suitcases more time to pass. Get off at Marittima stop and pass the security gate; if you are lucky on that day with a 1 euro coin in hand, may be luggage carts park there, save your suitcase wheels being worn out on the 800 feet uneven ground to cruise terminal.:eek:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover-tickets-and-fares.htm

If you are taking trains in Europe, I suggest taking a ski/bicycle steel cable lock to chain your suitcases to the train racks, I have seen people "mistakenly" took someone's. Also never leave your carry-on above your seat overhead shelf, it's a blind spot.:eek:

-Michael

Michael,

This is very informative. What, may I ask is a "people mover"?

Monika

Michael,

This is very informative. What, may I ask is a "people mover"?

Monika

Inexpensive and easy public transportation option that can take you (and your luggage) from Piazzale Roma -- the major transportation hub at Venice, near the train station and a drop-off point for buses from the airport -- to the cruise terminal Marittima where most of the larger cruise ships dock.

Read more about it here:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

Monika,

People-mover is the name for the elevated automatic train links between Piazzale Roma and Tronchetto. It costs one Euro for a merely 1800 feet travel from P.Roma to Marittime station.

If compare to the bus/train fare Euro 1.20 between Mestre and P.Roma for a six miles journey, it doesn't add up the people-mover is inexpensive. Elevators in "people-mover" stations are very "slow", so everyone hauling suitcases on escalators. "Stupid" things do happen and "panic" button will be pushed, so don't be surprise if you see both escalator and elevator are temporary "out of order".:mad:

I assume your cruise is overnight in Venice and you will take the train to Venice on embarkment day. If so, I suggest purchase a 24 hour ACTV tourist card (Euro 20) from tourist information center inside the station, the card gives you unlimited vaporetto ride for next 24 hours; use it for your ride to P. Roma and San Marco Square.

These URL may be useful:

www.actv.it/en

www.actv.it/ifyouarriveatvenicesantaluciarailstation

Italian railway operates on honest system, no one check your ticket on platform or before boarding. Don't be surprise if you see passengers running away when conductors show up:). The nightmare is the Italian railway wildcat strike:eek:. The Frecciargento trains are for travelling between Rome and Venice in less than 4 hours with speed up to 250km/h. When book your train ticket in trenitalia website, select the "FRECEE" tab for the high speed train schediule.

Last year, my friend did her first cruise on Equinox with the same itinerary.

-Michael

Does anyone know if it is possible to check your luggage from Venice to Rome. I have taken it onboard before, but as I remember, the steps are quite high and it would be a problem for us. Thanks for any info.

Judy

Monika,

People-mover is the name for the elevated automatic train links between Piazzale Roma and Tronchetto. It costs one Euro for a merely 1800 feet travel from P.Roma to Marittime station.

If compare to the bus/train fare Euro 1.20 between Mestre and P.Roma for a six miles journey, it doesn't add up the people-mover is inexpensive. Elevators in "people-mover" stations are very "slow", so everyone hauling suitcases on escalators. "Stupid" things do happen and "panic" button will be pushed, so don't be surprise if you see both escalator and elevator are temporary "out of order".:mad:

I assume your cruise is overnight in Venice and you will take the train to Venice on embarkment day. If so, I suggest purchase a 24 hour ACTV tourist card (Euro 20) from tourist information center inside the station, the card gives you unlimited vaporetto ride for next 24 hours; use it for your ride to P. Roma and San Marco Square.

These URL may be useful:

www.actv.it/en

www.actv.it/ifyouarriveatvenicesantaluciarailstation

Italian railway operates on honest system, no one check your ticket on platform or before boarding. Don't be surprise if you see passengers running away when conductors show up:). The nightmare is the Italian railway wildcat strike:eek:. The Frecciargento trains are for travelling between Rome and Venice in less than 4 hours with speed up to 250km/h. When book your train ticket in trenitalia website, select the "FRECEE" tab for the high speed train schediule.

Last year, my friend did her first cruise on Equinox with the same itinerary.

-Michael

regarding the wildcat strikes...there is a website that may be of some help because sometimes those strikes are not as random as one thinks, but yes, they certainly may be random as well. Just Google European strike schedule or something thereabouts.

also, I read here on Cruise Critic and confirmed elsewhere also, that scheduled strikes usually do not happen during the am and pm rush hours.

thus, and based on my research, I was fairly confident that most if not all trains leaving Termini prior to 9am would be somewhat safe from stikes.

Now, I fully expect my post to be ripped apart by a poster or 2 here.....but what I have posted is from what I have read here on CC and from research done elsewhere on the web and most importantly from info I have received from our many private drivers and guides that we have had in Italy over the years.

Does anyone know if it is possible to check your luggage from Venice to Rome. I have taken it onboard before, but as I remember, the steps are quite high and it would be a problem for us. Thanks for any info.

Judy

Ahh. Yes the wonderful European train system! As far as we know, the Trenitalia does not accept "checked luggage" and even if they did most folks would not trust them to get it right :). You have hit on one of many reasons why DW and I prefer to use rental cars in Europe vs. the train system. Bottom line for you is that you will be expected to handle your own luggage and find a place to store the stuff on the train. There is usually some storage space near the end of the cars but you must always keep your luggage within your site and stay close to the stuff whenever you are nearing a station. Smaller pieces of luggage can normally fit on the racks over the seats (on most trains) but larger pieces do become a problem.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time on European trains can tell you of the many times you see little ole ladies (and men) wrestling with their luggage while the world passes them by with nobody stopping to help. On the other hand, others would say you should never accept luggage help from a stranger as your luggage might suddenly do a disappearing act :)

Hank

Ahh. Yes the wonderful European train system! As far as we know, the Trenitalia does not accept "checked luggage" and even if they did most folks would not trust them to get it right :). You have hit on one of many reasons why DW and I prefer to use rental cars in Europe vs. the train system. Bottom line for you is that you will be expected to handle your own luggage and find a place to store the stuff on the train. There is usually some storage space near the end of the cars but you must always keep your luggage within your site and stay close to the stuff whenever you are nearing a station. Smaller pieces of luggage can normally fit on the racks over the seats (on most trains) but larger pieces do become a problem.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time on European trains can tell you of the many times you see little ole ladies (and men) wrestling with their luggage while the world passes them by with nobody stopping to help. On the other hand, others would say you should never accept luggage help from a stranger as your luggage might suddenly do a disappearing act :)

Hank

We've wrestled our share, and also had help from time to time. Sometimes a hand pops out looking for a tip, mostly not. We HAVE, however, learned to pack lightly, especially if using the train, and bought smaller suitcases that we can handle. Usually one of us will board the train and the other will hand up the bags--it's a bit cumbersome but not unmanageable. Can't remember where we were going, but it involved going up a long flight of stairs to the platform. A young girl, clearly dressed for going out, just grabbed the bottom of my bag and helped me to the top--just to be nice. I am neither wimpy nor disabled, and could have managed, but the help was lovely and much appreciated.

This is a tip we have learned when renting a car: we always bring a carry-on size bag, which we don't actually NEED to have. But we leave our suitcases in the car, and just pack the things we need for overnighting in the carry-on--toiletries, jammies, etc. Then each evening we load it up with whatever we want to wear the next day, and just take the one carry-on to our hotel room rather than the two large suitcases. In small European rooms, and elevators, this has worked very well!!! The suitcases never come out until we return the rental car.

Judy

If you are travelling in a group tour and pre-arranged with Trenitalia, then your luggages can be "checked".

Porters are available on major railway station platform, and they do help passengers with luggage handling problem, but if the train is full, don't expect any promptly assistance. I always tie my suitcase with studdy luggage strap, make it easier to handle.

-Michael

I wasn't comparing it with the ride between Mestre and Piazzale Roma, but rather with the exorbitant amount that taxi drivers would like to charge you to go from Piazzale Roma to the cruise ship terminal -- a much more relevant comparison in this situation.

If I were traveling with more than one medium wheeled bag, I'd gladly pay the euro to take the People Mover versus dragging my own stuff the 600 yards. Or paying 10-15 euro for a taxi.

regarding the wildcat strikes...there is a website that may be of some help because sometimes those strikes are not as random as one thinks, but yes, they certainly may be random as well. Just Google European strike schedule or something thereabouts.

also, I read here on Cruise Critic and confirmed elsewhere also, that scheduled strikes usually do not happen during the am and pm rush hours.

thus, and based on my research, I was fairly confident that most if not all trains leaving Termini prior to 9am would be somewhat safe from stikes.

Now, I fully expect my post to be ripped apart by a poster or 2 here.....but what I have posted is from what I have read here on CC and from research done elsewhere on the web and most importantly from info I have received from our many private drivers and guides that we have had in Italy over the years.

Sorry to disappoint, but we're in agreement on this. :D

The web site for information on planned Italian transportation strikes is here: http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

Sorry to disappoint, but we're in agreement on this. :D

The web site for information on planned Italian transportation strikes is here: http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

But you made sure to upload the website. I prefer to encourage posters to do their own research. One never knows what other helpful websites a poster may uncover by doing a little surfing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

But you made sure to upload the website. I prefer to encourage posters to do their own research. One never knows what other helpful websites a poster may uncover by doing a little surfing.

We have different definitions of what is helpful. People can easily trip upon bad or incomplete information, especially when dealing in a foreign language.

I wasn't comparing it with the ride between Mestre and Piazzale Roma, but rather with the exorbitant amount that taxi drivers would like to charge you to go from Piazzale Roma to the cruise ship terminal -- a much more relevant comparison in this situation.

If I were traveling with more than one medium wheeled bag, I'd gladly pay the euro to take the People Mover versus dragging my own stuff the 600 yards. Or paying 10-15 euro for a taxi.

A Venice taxi driver is a slot machine with two arms:D. The metered taxi fare is under Euro 7, your pay the metered fare if you ride with a local.:mad:

WOW! After reading Monkey@cruise posts I am tempted to post that a meteor might strike the earth, it could rain for 40 days and nights, etc. Ask a simple question and you get strikes, broken elevators, panic buttons, stuck escalators, etc. And you could add pestilence, draughts, and even sorry. But lets put all this in proper perspective. Strikes do happen in Italy, they are normally announced well in advance, and 99% of the time it will not be an issue. As to the People Mover, we have used that convenient mode many times without a single mishap, broken elevator, panic button incident, etc. Its a wonderful addition to Venice and makes life much easier for cruise passengers. One just needs to be aware that it can be a pretty long walk from the cruise ship (depending on docking position).

As to Venice taxis, they are not much different from taxis anywhere in Italy. Many taxis will simply refuse a short haul fare such as between the port and P. Roma. We have seen some taxis willing to take passengers for 5 Euros...but they then cram as many as possible into their taxi or taxi/van. On longer hauls the meter can actually be more then a negotiated fare so its wise to have a good idea of the approximate fare so you can try and negotiate.

Hank

Hlitner,

Not everyone is an experienced traveler; know how to respond when things are sidetracked. it's good to share with other CC members any aware of.

Italy's rail system though is safe and comfortable; it's no secret to regular riders that punctually is often secondary, not running like Swiss watch. I rode on Germany and Swiss rail system and I am very impressed, don't need to check their websites if strikes happen.

I have nothing against the people-mover, the primary users are cruise passengers from outside Venice and city of Venice should have done a better job on this infrastructure. Yes, it's a wonderful addition to Venice and makes life much easier for cruise passengers but without their suitcases.

I was people watching in the P. Roma people-mover station while waiting for my friends. I saw people so confused buying ticket, the instruction signage should be at the front not at the end; No station staff assisting passenger with large suitcase through the turnstile gates; The Worst one was passengers try to define the law of gravity, not pushing their luggage when riding up. I saw a lady let her "elephant" suitcase tumbling down the escalator hitting other passengers like bowling pins. Wonder why use escalator not inclined moving walkways? Those moving walkways use in airport and supermarket safe for people taking suitcases and baby strollers.

I always tell my friends whenever they are in Venice people-mover, don't follow passenger who is struggling with suitcase. It's not fun being hit by a heavy one.

From the Maritime stop, can someone painted blue directional lines on ground or setup signage/map showing where the piers are? May be they expect cruise passengers should know where their ship is. Is it an expensive project to build a covered walkway from Maritime station to all cruise terminal buildings?

Not all Italian taxi drivers are money grabbers, other med port taxi drivers are the same. A Venice taxi driver told me the short haul between P. Roma and cruise terminal is a catch-22 scenario: it's a few minutes ride, but costs his time to re-queue at P. Roma taxi stand. He need to make up his lost either cram more passengers or higher fare. Airlines are doing the same thing try to cram more passengers on board.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the information and will reread it many times before our cruise. We have a much more informed picture of what to expect and as long as we get on the ship one way or the other and I know that I have a glass or several of some really great drink waiting on me, I will be very happy! We have ridden the rail system between Linz and Vienna before with relatives and were very impressed. Of course they knew exactly what to do, so all we had to do was sit back and enjoy and of course, we did not have any luggage with us at the time.

Some of you have mentioned that you are getting train tickets from Rome to Venice from €39 or €29. I am wondering where you get these prices.

We arrived in Rome on September 25 and plan to meet up with friends who will be in Venice. I checked the price for the train from Civitavecchia to Venice from the ItaliaRail site and the price I get is $96 Canadian dollars which is about €70.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Some of you have mentioned that you are getting train tickets from Rome to Venice from €39 or €29. I am wondering where you get these prices.

We arrived in Rome on September 25 and plan to meet up with friends who will be in Venice. I checked the price for the train from Civitavecchia to Venice from the ItaliaRail site and the price I get is $96 Canadian dollars which is about €70.

Trenitalia.com generally has the best pricing for train tickets in Italy. Occasionally you'll find the odd special on other sites, but they are usually more expensive.

The prices mentioned above for tickets are special fares that are available on certain trains, usually requiring advance nonrefundable purchase.

Go directly to the Trenitalia site. You can switch it to the English version, if it doesn't do it automatically. Just checked for trains on Sept. 25 and after, and seeing lots of less-expensive options - you should be able to find something that works for you for no more than €49. Heck, if you're willing to take the slower Intercity train (6 hours instead of 3:45), on some days I'm seeing tickets for €9.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the information and will reread it many times before our cruise. We have a much more informed picture of what to expect and as long as we get on the ship one way or the other and I know that I have a glass or several of some really great drink waiting on me, I will be very happy! We have ridden the rail system between Linz and Vienna before with relatives and were very impressed. Of course they knew exactly what to do, so all we had to do was sit back and enjoy and of course, we did not have any luggage with us at the time.

Enjoy your trip to Rome and Venice; blend in with the locals. :)

Here is the URL on Port of Venice (click "English" button at top right side for English display) which provide directions to/from cruise terminal and cruise docking information.

www.vtp.it/

www.vtp.it/terminal/trasporti.jsp?idm=O649KPRZ7W466HU8&prg=2&page=2

The Equinox will dock at Pier VC110 and your embarkment location is Terminal 108, very close to people-mover Maritime station.

Roma Termini railway station and Venice Santa Lucia railway station are hub stops, you have plenty of time to manueuver your luggage:rolleyes:. There is a large supermarket locates on Roma Termini station subfloors, you can buy drinks, snacks, sandwiches or hot food for your train meal.

Archived