Best way to go from Rome to Venice

cwayne

We are thinking of booking the Sept 7th, 2014 Mediterranean cruise that leaves out of Venice, Italy and arrives in Barcelona, Spain. We are wanting to fly into Rome a few days early to see some of the sights there and then travel to Venice to board the ship and then fly home from Barcelona. We are looking for advice as to the best way to do this since we have never done this before.

Monika

You cab certainly fly, but the one way tickets might be pricey.

You could also drive, and the autostrada is fast although I'd get my car outside the City Centre so that I did not have to drive in Rome. Getting a car at the airport was easy for us. It would take you the better part of a day, without much time for detours. And not everyone feels comfortable driving...

I've also taken the train- very nice experience. We booked first class tickets, and had lunch in the first class dining car while rolling through Tuscany. It was lovely and stress free.

Enjoy.

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Hi Monica,

I am doing the same next May. The options I've found are train from Rome to Venice-cheapest option. You'll need to be able to handle your luggage and some stairs. 4 hour trip approx. Get off at P. Roma, not Mestre. Then take people mover to ship.

Alitalia and Easyjet fly from FCO to VCE. Luggage restrictions. Then bus to P. Roma, then people mover to ship. 1 hour.

Rent a car from AutoEurope in Rome or at FCO-drive to Venice, drop off car at P. Roma or airport location. people mover to ship.

We loved the train ride, got up to something like 150 kmh.

It stops right in Venice next to the vaporetto station too.

Inexpensive and fun. About 3 or 4 stops on the way.

I recommend you go first class.

Only weird part was it did reverse direction and we were traveling backwards part of the trip.

We decided on the train for our July 31st sailing on the Silhouette.

The train leave the Rome Termini station at 8:50 and arrives in Venice at 12:30. We paid 39 euros each (could have been 29 if we had booked a little earlier). Definitely much cheaper than flying and once you factor in the extra time needed to fly, probably quicker as well.

We've read nothing but good things about the high speed train service between Rome and Venice. We are booked on Trenitalia.

Last year we took the train from Rome to Venice and later flew back to Rome to fly home. The train was great. Very comfortable, scenic and no security to go through. We booked 1st class early and got reduced fares.

The flight to Rome on Alitalia was like a cattle car. By the time we arrived early at the airport, went through security and then waited for the flight and boarding I wished we had taken the train back. The only benefit to flying from Venice to Rome was we were at the airport for our next morning flight and didn't have to get from Termini to FCO. Going from Rome to Venice you are already close to Termini station and avoid the trip to the airport.

I would use the train if I dd it again.

The train is great but make sure you get a reservation. First or second class is fine. No smoking, good. Lunch onboard is good and a treat. Arriving in Venice make sure to take the water taxi that goes down the Grand Canal vs the opposite direction. Much prettier ride.

If you would like to fly go to the Alitalia website in Italian. Alitalia.it You can book a very reasonable flight in euros. If you have a problem with the sight call Alitalia and they will assist you. We have done this twice and it worked very well.

Lorraine

Have a look at the Italotreno website and see if this appeals to you.

We opted to go from Venice to Florence on this train.

You can also look up this site: seat 61, which explain all about Italian train travel if you want to go with the main trains.

First off, we think the idea of flying is absurd. Assuming you are in Rome, you would have to get out to the airport, be there about 1 1/2 hours before your flight, and deal with the European airspace that results in many delayed flights. And then once on Venice you have the expense of getting into Venice. The train is probably the best option and takes less then 4 hours downtown to downtown. Driving is also a great option if you prefer to spend a few days and stop at a few places along the route.

Hank

The Trenitalia High Speed train is the only way to go . Hourly departures from Roma Termini via Firenze SMN to Venezia St.Lucia . Travel time 3hours 45 minutes. Compulsory Seat reservation .

Thank you so much for all the help! We had thought that we would like to take the train from Rome to Venice but will for sure now and certainly do the first class. Since reservations are required, we will make sure to do that. We probably are not comfortable with driving it, particularly as we are totally unfamiliar with the area and the roads......we would be like an episode of the Amazing Race trying not to come in last and still be married at the end of the experience....:) Is flying Atlanta to Rome and Barcelona back to Atlanta a problem, as we are not flying roundtrip from the same place?

Not at all--we almost always do that and we have found fares that are identical to or better than r/t.

Try looking at www.matrix.itasoftware.com; they are not an agency, it just finds you the best fares and then you go to the airline sites to purchase.

Also if you are sailing on an RCCL/Celebrity ship, check out www.choiceair.com

First class on the train, even with early purchase, will almost certainly cost more than flying. If you are arriving from the states and want to go to Venice, not Rome, it makes more sense to route your airfare to Venice.

One additional tip if you do decide to fly into Rome and go immediately from there by train to Venice - take a cab or car service from the airport to Termini station in Rome rather than the train service from the airport. For two people the train costs 28 Euro, vs. the taxi at 48 Euro, and the cab is worth every extra penny in my opinion. The airport train is crowded and uncomfortable, and there's no guarantee of seating.

(Personally, I take the 4 Euro Terravision bus, but that seemed incongruous for someone contemplating first class train fare.)

Thank you so much for all the help! We had thought that we would like to take the train from Rome to Venice but will for sure now and certainly do the first class. Since reservations are required, we will make sure to do that. We probably are not comfortable with driving it, particularly as we are totally unfamiliar with the area and the roads......we would be like an episode of the Amazing Race trying not to come in last and still be married at the end of the experience....:) Is flying Atlanta to Rome and Barcelona back to Atlanta a problem, as we are not flying roundtrip from the same place?

Not sure why first class is recommended by some on here, they didn't give reasons. We took Trenitalia from Milan to Venice last year (May) and went second class. The seats are nice sized and comfortable and you do have reserved seats. We booked Supersaver fares on their website and got one way tickets for 9 euros each.

If you book second class get seat near the middle of the care as there are racks there for your luggage and you can sit close to them.

Bill

Like the OP, I am not sure why people recommend first class. We have travelled throughout Italy by train-on several occasions.

We never use fist class. And we check the schedules because sometimes a slightly slower train can be considerably less expensive.

I was just going to say these two things that have just been said:

a) if you want to go to Venice, fly there!! Then train to Rome and/or Civitavecchia for your cruise. But don't miss Rome! I didn't pick up on that part originally.

b) go second class! The only time we have not is when the business class fare on the Eurostar through the Chunnel was about $10 more than second class--otherwise, second is fine!!!

second class is fine, but if you want to pay for first class go for it.

what is most important is the reservation aspect.

second class is fine, but if you want to pay for first class go for it.

what is most important is the reservation aspect.

What do you mean the reservation aspect? On Trenitalia 2nd class was reserved seats too. :confused:

I was just going to say these two things that have just been said:

a) if you want to go to Venice, fly there!! Then train to Rome and/or Civitavecchia for your cruise. But don't miss Rome! I didn't pick up on that part originally.

b) go second class! The only time we have not is when the business class fare on the Eurostar through the Chunnel was about $10 more than second class--otherwise, second is fine!!!

their cruise leaves from Venice...they want to go to Rome pre cruise.

What do you mean the reservation aspect? On Trenitalia 2nd class was reserved seats too. :confused:

oh geez..

let me re word it then......

if you travel 1st or second class it is totally up to you, but either way it is mandatory/ extremely important/wise.... to have a reserved seat...i.e. the "reservation aspect"

We are thinking of booking the Sept 7th, 2014 Mediterranean cruise that leaves out of Venice, Italy and arrives in Barcelona, Spain. We are wanting to fly into Rome a few days early to see some of the sights there and then travel to Venice to board the ship and then fly home from Barcelona. We are looking for advice as to the best way to do this since we have never done this before.

Monika

Check my review below...it's PACKED with the info you're looking for!

We have taken high speed train to Venice for cruises, if you have large suitcases to handle, will be a logistical challenge getting from train station to cruise terminal.

Option 1: Get off at Mestre railway station, there take a land taxi to cruise terminal. Less crowd but no elevator or escalator, you handle your suitcases from platform down to the pedestrian subway and up to the station main lobby.

Option 2: Get off at Venice Santa Lucia railway station, always crowded and 1500 feet away from P.Roma. Use the railway station leftmost exit, where a ramp save you carrying suitcases down the steps. You turn right on exit and cross the Constitution bridge to P.Roma, or take a vaporetto (Euro 6.5/person) for a 3 min journey to P.Roma. From there you can take a land taxi (just a few minutes) or the people-mover to cruise terminal.

If you take people-mover, make your way through the handicap turnsile:D, it's wider and the turnstile arms swing back slower, giving you and your suitcases more time to pass. Get off at Marittima stop and pass the security gate; if you are lucky on that day with a 1 euro coin in hand, may be luggage carts park there, save your suitcase wheels being worn out on the 800 feet uneven ground to cruise terminal.:eek:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover-tickets-and-fares.htm

If you are taking trains in Europe, I suggest taking a ski/bicycle steel cable lock to chain your suitcases to the train racks, I have seen people "mistakenly" took someone's. Also never leave your carry-on above your seat overhead shelf, it's a blind spot.:eek:

-Michael

Archived