Can you eat breakfast in the dining room?

the portion-controlled servings (picture an ice cream scoop serving of scrambled eggs):eek: are not to my liking.

and thats EXACTLY why I prefer it.. no way to over indulge. do I admit to an unhealthy obsession over the cranberry bread? umm yeah.. but I figure..one slice in the CL before I go to breakfast, one in the MDR and if I am really desperate I will swing by the WJ late morning.

problem is the only way to get it toasted is in the CL. and I have never seen more than 2 or 3 slices.. I am greedy but I don't like eating it all. seems mean. I always got disgusted when I'd see someone come in and clean out the entire amount of something, like the strawberries

and thats EXACTLY why I prefer it.. no way to over indulge. do I admit to an unhealthy obsession over the cranberry bread? umm yeah.. but I figure..one slice in the CL before I go to breakfast, one in the MDR and if I am really desperate I will swing by the WJ late morning.

problem is the only way to get it toasted is in the CL. and I have never seen more than 2 or 3 slices.. I am greedy but I don't like eating it all. seems mean. I always got disgusted when I'd see someone come in and clean out the entire amount of something, like the strawberries

I guess it comes down to willpower and self control but I object to some anonymous person in the galley deciding that an ice cream scoop size of scrambled eggs is the proper amount of eggs for me. And if anyone believes that portion control is only RCI's way of assisting me in eating healthier and is not designed to reduce the line's food costs, I believe that there is a bridge for sale at a bargain price.;)

As I said, it is up to each individual to decide where they wish to eat breakfast and there is no hard and fast rule that applies to everyone. Compare your various options and decide for yourselves.

I guess it comes down to willpower and self control but I object to some anonymous person in the galley deciding that an ice cream scoop size of scrambled eggs is the proper amount of eggs for me.

But isn't that what happens normally when going to a restaurant? Portion control is always decided by the person in the kitchen, which is EXACTLY the reason I prefer the MDR, because my eyes are always bigger than my stomach! But OP, you have to decide what is right for YOU.

But isn't that what happens normally when going to a restaurant? Portion control is always decided by the person in the kitchen, which is EXACTLY the reason I prefer the MDR, because my eyes are always bigger than my stomach! But OP, you have to decide what is right for YOU.

Not exactly the same. It is the use of an ice cream scoop to make sure that each serving is preciselu the same size that I find objectionable. In most restaurants the servings may be approximately the same but aren't usually as uniform as those scrambled eggs servings in RCI dining rooms. I guess that while I, too, have eyes bigger than my stomach, I can, with a bit of effort, control myself and take only what I can, or should, consume. But that is only one of my problems with breakfast in the MDR. The other negatives are noted in my previous post.

We both agree that it is up to the OP to decide which option is best for him or her and not that "the dining room is the way to go" as our resident seagull would claim.

Is the chocolate breakfast only in the MDR or in the Windjammer, too?

The what?! Is this something that they've started since 2009? I can't believe I would have missed something like this. :eek: Is this fairly new? Please elaborate.

The what?! Is this something that they've started since 2009? I can't believe I would have missed something like this. :eek: Is this fairly new? Please elaborate.

The MDR usually offers one breakfast per cruise they call the chocolate breakfast. There are chocolate pancakes, pastries with chocolate, etc. It will be listed in the Cruise Compass, there's no sign up or reservations, and there's no way to know in advance what day it will be.

I have to somewhat disagree with "the dining room is the way to go for breakfast!" The MDR breakfast is ok but If Im on a ship that has an egg station in the WJ where they cook them to order I dont usually go to the MDR. I like over medium eggs and they cant seem to get that right in the MDR. Ive also found service to be so so in the MDR and the food seems to be much more at correct temps in the WJ. I guess because of the heat lamps.

The funny thing about me is, I love a big table in the MDR and socializing for dinner. For breakfast though, Im not real social that early and I just want to eat and get on with my day.

The MDR IS great because you are being served though and there isnt the "cattle call" rush that is the WJ.

Just a different perspective and my opinion :)

I agree with you. I prefer breakfast in the WJ over the MDR, especially when I can get made-to-order omelets... yum :D

The final morning, the MDR is good for breakfast. It is not usually as crowded as the buffet that final morning -- that sad final morning when we have to leave the ship.

I don't even cruise until next May and I get sad just thinking about the final morning. Only thing that's just as bad would be final evening, walking down the halls lines with suitcases. :(

The MDR usually offers one breakfast per cruise they call the chocolate breakfast. There are chocolate pancakes, pastries with chocolate, etc. It will be listed in the Cruise Compass, there's no sign up or reservations, and there's no way to know in advance what day it will be.

Good to know. I'll be sure to look for this in the Compass.

As mentioned above, noone can really say if the WJ or MDR are better for a person they do not know - try both and decide for yourself.

That being said - below are some reasons why WE like eating breakfast in the MDR:

My DW and I prefer the MDR for breakfast. We have pretty busy lives and have kids, so being able to spend a week without having to serve ourselves, and make sure our kids are served on the buffet -- not to mention having to get up for that slice of bread, or one piece of French toast, or to get the ketchup, etc. -- it is nice not to have to keep getting up throughout the meal.

On our last cruise, we found that the service for breakfast in the MDR was far better than the staff at the WJ at either breakfast or lunch [We had breakfast in the WJ on two mornings we had to eat quick and leave early.]. The staff at the WJ were slow to clean up dishes and pretty much looked like we were bothring them when asked for anything. For instance, on this last cruise I drank soda for breakfast instead of coffee (partially to break my usual workday routine and partially because a cold beverage in the morning was a nice change) -- to get someone to bring me soda in the morning (or for lunch) was like pulling teeth. In the MDR, gettthe assitant waiter would ask what I wanted to drink at the begging of the meal, then after my first soda was almost empty, the assistant waiter would ask me if I wanted another one. They also brought over pastries throughout the breakfast (at least twice each breakfast), and although breakfast in the MDR would take more time than the WJ, we were on vacation and the slow pace was nice.

While we are waiting for the breakfast items to come (you can also order appetizer items such as herring or lox prior to the egg/pancake dishes) I would go over to the breakfast bar for some cereal, granola, and/or fresh fruit depending on the morning.

I will admit that the regular portion of scrambled eggs is the size of an ice cream scoop, however, if that portion is not enough, anyone can place a double or triple order of eggs (which a tablemate did do one morning) - and I would usually place a double order of bacon. Also, if you want a 3 egg omelette instead of 2 eggs, they will make it as you had ordered.

The waiters sit everyone at large tables (10 top) which we enjoyed [you can also ask to be seated at a private table]. Because of the slow paced meal, and sitting with other cruisers who are also enjoying the slower paced morning, I have had met a lot of great people and been involved with a lot of great conversations. In the WJ, unless you arrived their early, always posed a challenge to find a table for the four of us (unless we wanted to eat outside) - and part of that was because the WJ staff did not clean up the tables quick enough.

My kids did not enjoy the slow pace of the MDR for breakfast, so the last few mornings they would go to the WJ without us (my older DD is responsible enough to watch my younger DD).

I want to stress that we do not HATE the WJ, we just prefer the MDR for breakfast. Some of the positives for the WJ are: Speedy meal if you have to get to an early excursion - you can be in and out of there in a few minutes; much larger variation of food (including some very good tasting dishes and some ptions that are not usually served for breakfast (at least not in my house)); they do have an "eggs to order" section; you do not have to wait for everyone else at your table to arrive before ordering; you can get as much or as little of any item in the buffet area and can get up as many times as you would like (and 9 other people at your table will not be judging you for the amount of food you have just consumed); in the WJ you are more likely to bump into people you have met on excursions or around the ship; etc.

-----

For those of you that really enjoy breakfast, there is always the Home Run of breakfasts: Park Cafe (or whatever is comparable on the particular ship), then back to the room for some (pre-ordered) room service, followed by a trip to the WJ, and ending it off with a nice leasurly fourth meal in the MDR. [i will admit that I have experience a triple a few years ago on a previous cruise (I did not order the room service), but did not have "full" meals at each venue.] On this last cruise, I did experience a few doubles if I ran later in the morning (to burn off the calories from the prior day) and would head to the Park Cafe and pick up a few items for myself and my family before heading back to room - this way there was some food for everyone to munch on (lest we starve) while we took our showers & got read to go to breakfast in the MDR.

I try to make it at least one morning to the MDR for Eggs Benedict. My problem is that I usually sleep late when I cruise, and the MDR closes for breakfast. I have to "scramble" just to get to breakfast at the Windjammer.

SWMBO, on the other hand, has room service deliver breakfast every morning.

Personally on my first 5-6 cruises I only wanted to go to the MDR for breakfast but with each additional cruise I have less and less.

Now I find I enjoy the WJ much more, I get to select exactly what I want, if I don't see it I ask, the buffet and wait staff are right on the ball, I get to pick where I want to sit, come & go as I please, and not have wait for everyone else to order and eat their courses.

So try each and enjoy; it's all there to enjoy. Have a great cruise!

I always try to have breakfast in the MDR, and I want to respond to a few things here.

My experience of the service has usually been good. But it is a random draw as to who you will get and how good they will be. For those who've said they don't do it because of that, you might want to give it another try as it is just random luck as to which servers you get.

As for portion call, that only works I'd you want it to. You can order just as many breakfasts as you want to. They will keep bringing you whatever you ask for. I frequently have two: the classic and then usually the French toast bit sometimes pancakes. I usually also make a trip to the hot bar to get bacon and hash browns while I wait for my food to come. Oh and of course there's the one or two or more chocolate donuts from the bread basket. So breakfast in the MDR can be just as unlimited as the WJ. (I do only eat this way for the one week a year that I get to cruise for my birthday.)

Sent from iPhone using Cruise Critic App

Ditto....the dining room is the way to go for breakfast!!!

When I first started cruising I used to eat breakfast in the dining room all the time. Now I get up too late and either order room service or go to the Windjammer. I think on my upcoming cruise I'm going to try and make it to the dining room for breakfast at least 3 of the days.

For those of you that really enjoy breakfast, there is always the Home Run of breakfasts: Park Cafe (or whatever is comparable on the particular ship), then back to the room for some (pre-ordered) room service, followed by a trip to the WJ, and ending it off with a nice leasurly fourth meal in the MDR. [i will admit that I have experience a triple a few years ago on a previous cruise (I did not order the room service), but did not have "full" meals at each venue.] On this last cruise, I did experience a few doubles if I ran later in the morning (to burn off the calories from the prior day) and would head to the Park Cafe and pick up a few items for myself and my family before heading back to room - this way there was some food for everyone to munch on (lest we starve) while we took our showers & got read to go to breakfast in the MDR.

my god ... now that's MY kinda thinking! is there a double-LIKE button on here??!! :D

One reason I eat in WJ instead of MDR for breakfast is when I've slept too late for MDR. I tend to stay up late and sleep late. WJ serve breakfast much later. MDR usually stops at 9:30, but WJ goes until 10:30 or later. But if I'm up in time, I'll usually go to MDR.

Archived