Hotels - book WITH cruiseline OR separalty?

coolerchick

We recently cruised with Uniworld Burgundy Provence and for the precruise hotel package in Paris was an additional $1200 apiece this included transfers. I booked the Hotel from my research on Trip Advisor. We took a cab from the airport and a TGV train to Lyon to pick up the cruise. The dock was a close to the train station. We saved considerable money but it required a bit of planning. If money is no object book with the cruise line.

Mark, next June we have booked a cruise Uniworld Castles on the Rhine. The itinerary Amsterdam to Basel. We will do our own Pre cruise arrangement( less expensive).. Of course I am in the planning stage of booking a Hotel for three nights in Amsterdam. I know absolutely nothing regarding Amsterdam. One of the Hotels we have researched is the Mauro Mansion. I have sent an email to the Hotel regarding my dates. There are only 9 rooms so I imagine the rooms are booked quickly. question can we take a train from the airport to the train station near the Hotel? Also how far from Hotel to the dock area? If I can't secure a Hotel at the Mauro any other recommendations? Also do you remember the price per night.

Thanks for your help...Ann

Mark, next June we have booked a cruise Uniworld Castles on the Rhine. The itinerary Amsterdam to Basel. We will do our own Pre cruise arrangement( less expensive).. Of course I am in the planning stage of booking a Hotel for three nights in Amsterdam. I know absolutely nothing regarding Amsterdam. One of the Hotels we have researched is the Mauro Mansion. I have sent an email to the Hotel regarding my dates. There are only 9 rooms so I imagine the rooms are booked quickly. question can we take a train from the airport to the train station near the Hotel? Also how far from Hotel to the dock area? If I can't secure a Hotel at the Mauro any other recommendations? Also do you remember the price per night.

Glad to help. Yes, the Mauro Mansion is very popular and rooms go quickly. They typically book 6 months ahead, I believe, and have just started a minimum stay requirement of 3 nights. That said, the guys who own the hotel are very helpful, and if you need a shorter stay and they have a short opening, they might be able to accommodate you. I also might take the opportunity to ask them about recommended alternatives.

The hotel itself is a very historic canal house and has a long and interesting history. This includes its life as a leather-oriented hotel called the Black Tulip immediately before Barry and Marcel (I think that's their names) bought the hotel and broadened its appeal. Although some features still remain like the metal jail built on top of our room's bathroom (We somehow never got around to making use of it) - the room itself was notable for being huge, with 20 ft ceilings, carved woodwork with fireplace and canal view. I forget the price, but it was very reasonable.

Perhaps the best part about the hotel is its location for cruisers. It's on a quiet canal, across the street from Centraal Station. That makes connections to the airport totally simple via direct train. Likewise, the docks for river cruise ships are next to Centraal Station - and the road that travels beneath the tracks to access them is a continuation of your hotel's canal. Thus, standing in front of the hotel, they're a short walk across the street, under the bridge and the ships are docked on the water just to your right. All very easy to wheel luggage. (Luckily, the hosts will cart your bags up and down the notoriously tricky Dutch stairways of the hotel.) Be warned that the curved streets and canals can easily turn one around, even not considering jet lag. I spent a few minutes with Google Maps street view to get familiar with landmarks to orient myself for our arrival.

The only other recommendation I have is a wonderful hotel on one of the nicest canal segments in the city (the golden bow of the Herengracht) - the Ambassade. This hotel is actually a connected series (three?) of row houses. They are all wonderful rooms at very reasonable prices. If one is less concerned for easy access to the train station and docks, this location is more convenient for walking and is nicer. (Mauro Mansion, although on a quiet canal, is next to the red light district) We've stayed there twice and recommended it numerous times. Everyone has been very satisfied with them.

A couple of steps up in price and reputation is the Pulitzer, which is also one or more canal houses. It's near the Anne Franck house.

Of course I am in the planning stage of booking a Hotel for three nights in Amsterdam.

Sorry Ann, I missed the 3 nts part of the question. The minimum stay requirement shouldn't be a problem. ...and to reiterate - the connections from the airport are a very easy and fast train to Centraal Station and after navigating a parking lot and tram tracks, you cross a large street, and a couple of half-blocks takes you to the hotel. Likewise the river cruise ship docks are across the same street, beneath the train track overpass and a short half-block or so. Easily navigable, even with too much cruise luggage (as long as it has wheels that are cobblestone and tram track friendly).

Oh - and their breakfasts rock!

Mark, Thanks so much for the info. We received a response from Mauro Mansion and its too early for making a reservation. The location will work for us being close to the train station and dock. There are only nine rooms and I am sure they will book quickly.. We booked Paris last year a year in advance this Hotel also had only a few rooms.

Look forward to our visit to Amsterdam ... Thanks Ann

Robin - very, very easy to travel by rail. Check out the schedules from Basel to Montreux on

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en

We just stayed for a week in an area close to Montreux - simply lovely!

We considered looking into to get a train to Montreux, but they are not inexpensive either . And there are no direct trains from Basel and we would have to first take a taxi or tram to the station, get all of our luggage on the train, have to change trains, schlepping 2 weeks worth of luggage with us. We used to do the trains often in Europe, but we were a lot younger and , at 67 our age next year, could be kind of daunting. And then upon arrival, still have to take another taxi to the hotel in Montreux. I don't think the difference in the cost is that great, considering that the train charges per person and a taxi is per ride, to warrant such a physical effort on our part.

We will use the train and the beautiful Lake Geneva steamers to get around for day trips in Montreux, going to Lausanne and probably Geneva..

I am still hoping a like-minded couple will read one of my postings & perhaps want to share a taxi or van to Montreux from Basel on May 16 from the Viking Gullveig.

With all that said, I am glad I chose not to go with the ship's extension so we can have the MUCH nicer lake view deluxe room at the Fairmont than we would most likely be getting from Viking. We are extending our stay here an extra night for a total of 4 nights. We were in Switzerland 30 years ago and found it to be a beautiful country. The cruise ending here was one of the big reasons I chose this itinerary.

thanks for the advice!:)

Robin

Robinlynn, you are very welcome. We were very apprehensive about traveling by rail with luggage on our recent trip. (Both in our 60s). It was a breeze, but as you stated, very expensive. We purchased the Swiss Pass since we stayed for the week, and it included all rail, bus and boat travel, along with museum entrances, so it did work out for us.

Enjoy the lovely promenade along the lake, and don't miss Chillon Castle! Sounds like your hotel room will be perfect. Wish we were there now!

IMO, you should book separately!

We usually come in a day or two before and stay a day or two after our river/ocean/land trips and I have found that it is much cheaper to book on our own.

Additionally, even when we booked separately, Tauck has offered to take us to/from the airport IF we arrive/depart at the same times that their guests who use Tauck's program are going.

We started in Basel and ended in Amsterdam. We booked our hotels on Hotwire and got amazing hotels for $90 USD per night, which was almost half price. Both hotels were in great locations. If you are willing to be a little adventurous, I highly recommend using Hotwire or Priceline. You pick the area you want and the star level of hotel. We stayed at the Swisshotel in Basel and the hotel right across from train station in Amsterdam. Both were beautiful hotels that gave us great rooms.

I tell ya, if it was just me... all this research is driving me mad :)

Years ago (about 20) my pal and I went inter railing. It was brilliant. We just went throughout Europe on trains with our backpacks and figured out where we were going to stay ONCE we got there. I loved Switzerland - it was so clean. Preferred Austria though, we were REALLY into the Sound of Music.

Ah to be young and just wing it...

I've been looking on tripadvisor and I am going to book by myself. I'm just going to figure out where the Hotel the cruise books you on - select somewhere close - and then we will mosey on over there on the day they transport to the ship.

Am I understanding they don't care if you have stayed elsewhere? They will take you and luggage to the ship without charging you?

I believe so - on this post there are several who have stayed elsewhere and got transferred with the cruise.

I think you have to call them personally or maybe speak to your TA and they should accommodate. The 2 that posts that I remember - one was with Uniworld - they "worked" with the guests and the other Tauck.

I believe so - on this post there are several who have stayed elsewhere and got transferred with the cruise.

I think you have to call them personally or maybe speak to your TA and they should accommodate. The 2 that posts that I remember - one was with Uniworld - they "worked" with the guests and the other Tauck.

Scenic does that as well. They have a list of hotels that they use - and you just have to be there by "x" time to get the shuttle. We did this when we were in Amsterdam... Checked out of our hotel - transferred the luggage over to the host hotel and left it there while we went out to do some more sightseeing.

Fran

Again - with cities like Amsterdam, you really don't need to worry too much about a transfer. Specifically, in Amsterdam, the city is very compact and well served by transit (almost all of which go to Centraal Station, which is a short walk from the dock). Additionally, since you mentioned finding a hotel close to the host hotel - most lines use hotels near the dock. Therefore, you're likely to already be near the dock. (Occasionally, different dock locations may be used, but they all should be accessible). Of course a cab is also an option.

That said, if you can drop your bags off at a closer hotel and it's more convenient to do so, why not? ...but if you can't, it still shouldn't be a big deal.

Well I love reading all these posts. We are also planning our trip next June Amsterdam to Basel. I had done so much planning for our trip to Paris, cruise and four days in Aix Provence. We decided this trip will include three days precruise in Amsterdam the cruise and fly home. Now I am reading about Basel and maybe rethink our decision not to do a post cruise. We are in our 60's and are in excellent health walked in Paris an average of 5-8 miles a day. After this trip we were totally exhausted.. We have some time to give this some thought. I have no idea where to go in the Basel area.

Enjoy the lovely promenade along the lake, and don't miss Chillon Castle! Sounds like your hotel room will be perfect. Wish we were there now!

We had a very brief stop in Montreux (bus trip from Geneva....) and it was lovely. I found it quite bizarre that they have this life sized statue of Freddie Mercury on the shore... didn't quite seem to fit with the quaint sea side view. But it made for some great pictures!!!

We did get to the Chateau de Chillon - and it was a great afternoon.

Enjoy!!

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the deal (cruise) is finally done! Enchanting Rhine w/ AMA.

As you guys had mentioned - they fill up FAST! My original date was for May, we were going to do either Tauck OR AMA and they are all filled up - OMG!

So now, it's for Sept and I opted for just the cruise and as advised will book Hotel on my own.

I have found that going on trip advisor and looking up the Hotel they offer is much cheaper. I also have a list of all the places you guys have mentioned.

So cruise starts in Basel. They are offering Hotels in Lucerne. Which means an 1.5 hr transfer to Basel, right?

And I kept wondering why all you guys were staying in Basel.

Ok, so do I book NOW since it's almost a year away or is it safe to wait a while?

Well, the deal (cruise) is finally done! Enchanting Rhine w/ AMA.

As you guys had mentioned - they fill up FAST! My original date was for May, we were going to do either Tauck OR AMA and they are all filled up - OMG!

So now, it's for Sept and I opted for just the cruise and as advised will book Hotel on my own.

I have found that going on trip advisor and looking up the Hotel they offer is much cheaper. I also have a list of all the places you guys have mentioned.

So cruise starts in Basel. They are offering Hotels in Lucerne. Which means an 1.5 hr transfer to Basel, right?

And I kept wondering why all you guys were staying in Basel.

Ok, so do I book NOW since it's almost a year away or is it safe to wait a while?

I am staying in Lucerne because the environment is more mountainous and interesting than Basel! From Lucerne you can easily get to Berne, Interlaken and Zurich for day trips. You have your choice of at least 3 mt trips. You can get to Rhein Falls etc.

My research showed that you can cover the architecture and highlights of Basel in a day (outside of museums), Lucerne to Basel is only about an hr train ride away and you can see some more great countryside on the train.

What I do is book a refundable hotel room months before my trip (at more $ of course) and then I watch for sales and book a non-refundable room (saving $) closer to the date.(often at the same hotel)

Well I love reading all these posts. We are also planning our trip next June Amsterdam to Basel. I had done so much planning for our trip to Paris, cruise and four days in Aix Provence. We decided this trip will include three days precruise in Amsterdam the cruise and fly home. Now I am reading about Basel and maybe rethink our decision not to do a post cruise. We are in our 60's and are in excellent health walked in Paris an average of 5-8 miles a day. After this trip we were totally exhausted.. We have some time to give this some thought. I have no idea where to go in the Basel area.

You are very close to the Alsace wine route. We rented a car and toured the area for 4 days precruise, it is lovely with picture postcard villages. It is cheaper to rent a car on the french side of the airport. We stayed overnight in Basel. It is a very expensive city, we decided after our stay that one day was enough, we wouldn't return.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree with most posters here that booking on your own gives you flexibility to select your own accommodations. On a recent cruise that ended up in Amsterdam, we stayed at the Eden America hotel.

It was near the junction of 2 tram lines and 2 blocks from the canal boat docks. We took a HOHO canal boat cruise, went to the Van Gogh museum, did a night canal cruise, and found a street close by full of restaurants.

It was 30 to 50 percent less than the cruise line, and we did things at our schedule and pace.

Well, the deal (cruise) is finally done! Enchanting Rhine w/ AMA....

You'll love it. Yes. Lucerne is close, but realize that Paris is only 2.5 hours away by high-speed train (probably 4 hrs otherwise). Not the typical start point, but eminently do-able. And, not only is there much more to do and see in Paris, it can be a much less expensive city (Paris can be done cheaply or moderately, Switzerland is always expensive). Air connections may be more flexible as well. This assumes you want to spend a couple of days there beforehand.

In any event, small hotels probably won't accept reservations before 6 months in advance, but if you're interested in one of those highly-rated little hotels from TripAdvisor, you might want to send an exploratory email in advance. (On our last trip, doing so persuaded one hotel to waive their new 3 night minimum for us and another on the other end of our trip to change their vacation plans to accommodate us [really!])

Just a thought. (from an admitted Paris-phile)

Finally - and I sorta' assume you know this already - you WILL want to arrange at least one night in Europe before you board in case there's a travel problem.

You'll love it. Yes. Lucerne is close, but realize that Paris is only 2.5 hours away by high-speed train (probably 4 hrs otherwise). Not the typical start point, but eminently do-able. And, not only is there much more to do and see in Paris, it can be a much less expensive city (Paris can be done cheaply or moderately, Switzerland is always expensive). Air connections may be more flexible as well. This assumes you want to spend a couple of days there beforehand.

In any event, small hotels probably won't accept reservations before 6 months in advance, but if you're interested in one of those highly-rated little hotels from TripAdvisor, you might want to send an exploratory email in advance. (On our last trip, doing so persuaded one hotel to waive their new 3 night minimum for us and another on the other end of our trip to change their vacation plans to accommodate us [really!])

Just a thought. (from an admitted Paris-phile)

Finally - and I sorta' assume you know this already - you WILL want to arrange at least one night in Europe before you board in case there's a travel problem.

Thank you!

Yes, we are actually going to go to London for 3 days (my OH has never been to Europe so...) then take a flight (they are quite cheap) to Switzerland, spend 2 days there, cruise, then spend the remaining 2 days in Amsterdam. Then home.

I'll start emailing places and see what happens - thanks.

Many excellent suggestions here. Wish I'd known the one about booking a refundable room and then watching for sales.

I've just about finished booking for our September Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. It is a lot of work but believe it will be worth it in the end. Other folks in town booked their trip with a TA a year ahead. Because there were so few scheduled flights that far out they ended up flying on a highly convoluted route many, many hours out of their way.

After all my reading, I still expect I won't have it all perfect. At least it's on my terms and made over time not in a rush through an agent. I like being able to change my mind as my plans change.

I've just about finished booking for our September Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. It is a lot of work but believe it will be worth it in the end. Other folks in town booked their trip with a TA a year ahead. Because there were so few scheduled flights that far out they ended up flying on a highly convoluted route many, many hours out of their way.

After all my reading, I still expect I won't have it all perfect. At least it's on my terms and made over time not in a rush through an agent. I like being able to change my mind as my plans change.

I wouldn't lump all TAs in the same category. We regularly use a TA - and she does not rush us, nor would she ever book us on a flight with a "highly convoluted route" without having me insist that it was what I wanted.

Not sure where you live, but it sounds as if your access to a helpful/supportive TA is extremely limited.

Fran

Archived