P & O secrets and top tips

rubydoobydoo

MILK JUGS

The Azura milk jugs they use in the restaurants for Breakfast require a certain knack of pouring.

Took us three days of spilling milk everywhere before we got the hang of them.

We found the best technique was:

1) Have the jug about 4 to 5 inches above your cup/bowl

2) Tip it in one smooth quite slow motion to allow a constant flow of milk

3) When finishing your pouring, a small twist from the wrist limits the amount of dripping milk

Good luck.

That is the great thing about Southampton you can take your own drinks and nibbles just incase there isn't enough food on the ship !

It is nice to have these before dinner on the balcony with some music, we take wireless speakers with us, not too loud we don't want to disturb anyone

Actually we have never had a balcony on P and O unless you count the one on A deck but our travelling companions have so we use theirs

The thing is if you have speakers anywhere near the balcony you could be disturbing your fellow passengers either side of you. I've just come off a cruise where the next door cabin played music. Not loud, but it was clearly heard. It sometimes annoyed us, but we thought 'live and let live'. However, the people on the other side got fed up after a few days and complained to one of the crew. Result was the people who were using the speakers were warned to not use again near a open balcony door.

Perhaps a bit harsh, but other's may not want to disturbed or hear music they don't like when sitting quietly on their balcony as that's often the point of paying a premium.

The thing is if you have speakers anywhere near the balcony you could be disturbing your fellow passengers either side of you. I've just come off a cruise where the next door cabin played music. Not loud, but it was clearly heard. It sometimes annoyed us, but we thought 'live and let live'. However, the people on the other side got fed up after a few days and complained to one of the crew. Result was the people who were using the speakers were warned to not use again near a open balcony door.

Perhaps a bit harsh, but other's may not want to disturbed or hear music they don't like when sitting quietly on their balcony as that's often the point of paying a premium.

We would only play music outside very softly, no louder than hearing a conversation on the balcony from neighbours, but I can see how it could be a problem if you were inconsiderate ! I would suggest if you take speakers use them inside, no complaints then or make friends with neighbours

Here's a few of my tips - many probably already known, but perhaps worth a reminder! Happy cruising!

I've always slipped the Steward some cash at the start of the cruise (you can also opt out of auto-tips if you prefer). They are very good anyway, but this gesture is usually a good way to show your intentions and have even better service from them during the cruise. (Also useful for wine waiters too).

Don't forget Stilton is always available from the cheeseboard at dinner time, you just have to ask for it, it isn't offered automatically anymore.

If you like to use the Spa/have treatments, massages etc. These are usually quite well discounted or available in "bundle" deals towards the end of the cruise.

Depending on what ship you're on (and if you choose to do your own laundry - personally I just use it for ironing) everyone can seem to be wanting to iron at the same time, esp on formal evenings, men shirts etc. Travel irons and "ironing pads" from Amazon work well just to get rid of any creases in shirts etc.

In the unlikely event you have spare hangers, usually worthwhile removing them (or the hanger part) as with movement of the ship they can rattle around a lot at night.

Wardrobe, cupboard doors, or drawers, with rough weather, can cause them to open/shut in the night - blu tack is your friend in these cases!

Don't rush/bundle down to muster station before drill. It's fine to arrive just before it starts, and furthermore, you'll be at the back/entrance of the muster station in this case, and be able to leave quicker and more easily.

In the old days Stewards would ask your preferred time for a wake-up call and bring coffee/orange juice etc in the morning. That is no longer, but the coffee from room service is free and much nicer (real coffee) than the instant stuff in the cabin, and you can just order that instead.

When ordering drinks, particularly cocktails etc, there are sometimes small and large sizes, and on some ships, unless you specify (they don't ask), you'll automatically receive, and be charged for, a large.

When getting from one end of the ship to the other, on prom deck and the like, during busy times/eve etc, it is usually far quicker to just use the outside deck and walk along the ship and re-enter at the appropriate point.

Taking a photo of Horizon (prog/events for the day) in your tablet or smart can be quite handy.

Thanks for these tips but it always worries me when people suggest taking any sort of irons on board. Irons are not allowed and for very good reasons.

A fire is the last thing you want on board and the thought of my cabin neighbours using travel irons fills me with horror!

Just wanted to thank rubydoobydoo, cruisefan2012 and scorpio41 for their tips. Magnets for pinning up Horizon, kid's club schedule and ship's newspaper were brilliant, only availed myself of free cake from the Costa coffee shop twice but thoroughly enjoyed it. Forgot all about E deck until very near the end of the cruise, told OH about it who duly went and investigated, then took us all. To be the only people standing at the very prow of the ship on a beautifully, sunny calm day was quite a special moment and yes, our son did feel obliged to attempt to re-enact the scene from Titanic!

davedex - there was no sign whatsoever of cartons of milk anywhere, at any time, on our Azura cruise last week. The only milk available was large jugs at breakfast by the cereal, or the "urn" at the drinks station.

Quite agree with mattylondon that walking along the deck was frequently the quickest way to get from, say the MDR to the Playhouse

davedex - there was no sign whatsoever of cartons of milk anywhere, at any time, on our Azura cruise last week. The only milk available was large jugs at breakfast by the cereal, or the "urn" at the drinks station.

If you ask the waiting staff they will give you a carton to put into your fridge in your cabin. They are not out on the buffet, when we were on Ventura last week we got some no problem, even at midnight after picking up our youngest from kids club.

Think carefully about whether you need a balcony cabin before paying out. I used to swear by them but then thought I'd give interior a go. With the savings available on interior cabins it's worth giving them a go if it means you can afford another holiday for example.

If you ask the waiting staff they will give you a carton to put into your fridge in your cabin. They are not out on the buffet, when we were on Ventura last week we got some no problem, even at midnight after picking up our youngest from kids club.

Which waiting staff did you ask for fresh milk? I'm travelling transatlantic on Ventura (first time on P&O) soon and just saw in another topic that fresh milk isn't readily available. I have 1 year old who still needs milk daily and I'd rather not faff about with formula if its possible to get fresh milk. Wondering if I might need formula as a back up anyway as we'll obviously be at sea for much of the trip with not much opportunity for restocking.

Hot chocolate is available free from the buffet 24 hours a day, they only put it out at night as it tends to "walk" when left out during the day.

Just ask a waiter to give you a couple of sachets :)

There's free ice cream served mid morning on all ships (it's in the small print) but they don't tell you where it is or what time it's served and only lasts for 15 minutes (sneeky!) Ask the buffet manager or reception when and where ;)

They serve Carte D'or at Noddys tea time, so if you have kids and they (and you) want an ice cream, get a free one between 5pm and 6pm rather than buying one. Remember kids tea is for kids AND THEIR FAMILIY (says so in the fine print in the brochures) The staff are trained only to let the kids eat, but if you are with the kids and want to eat at the same time it's fine. Any problems speak to the buffet manager and make the point. They know the rule they just don't like you knowing!!!

Edited by Tom Baker
Adendum

Which waiting staff did you ask for fresh milk? I'm travelling transatlantic on Ventura (first time on P&O) soon and just saw in another topic that fresh milk isn't readily available. I have 1 year old who still needs milk daily and I'd rather not faff about with formula if its possible to get fresh milk. Wondering if I might need formula as a back up anyway as we'll obviously be at sea for much of the trip with not much opportunity for restocking.

When we had children at that age, we asked our cabin steward & a fresh jug of milk (or more if we asked) was put in our cabin fridge on a daily basis. They were more than happy to oblige.

I was told by a stores manager that all milk on board is long life, not fresh. I do not know if this is suitable for a child. You may be wise to take formula as well.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We would only play music outside very softly, no louder than hearing a conversation on the balcony from neighbours, but I can see how it could be a problem if you were inconsiderate ! I would suggest if you take speakers use them inside, no complaints then or make friends with neighbours

I was looking over the top deck of Ventura down on to the cabins and there was a guy sitting playing a guitar with people either side of him. I would have been furious.:eek:

I was told by a stores manager that all milk on board is long life, not fresh. I do not know if this is suitable for a child. You may be wise to take formula as well.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks. I'll take formula to be on the safe side. It makes sense that milk would be long life on a ship. I've just never given it any thought because I don't drink milk myself. Now devising my plan for buying formula in Southampton as we have to fly in (from N.Ireland) and I don't want to decimate my luggage allowance with baby milk.

Sorry for hijacking this informative thread with my milk woes. As you were :)

Edited by RooBeeDoo

There are supermarkets not far from the terminal, if you are in a taxi maybe you could stop to run in to get some formula

Yes, this is what I'm planning now. Means I can buy nappies then too and save even more space in the luggage (for more shoes!) :)

Enjoy your cruise

Good user name btw:D

I've only recently returned to the forum after a long break and keep seeing your posts and mistaking your name for my own and thinking 'I don't remember posting that...' :D

(BTW, mine comes from my nickname for my dog which I sing at him to the tube of Strangers in the Night :o I am honestly not as bonkers at that makes me sound)

I've only recently returned to the forum after a long break and keep seeing your posts and mistaking your name for my own and thinking 'I don't remember posting that...' :D

(BTW, mine comes from my nickname for my dog which I sing at him to the tube of Strangers in the Night :o I am honestly not as bonkers at that makes me sound)

LOL great minds

My dog is called Ruby, she is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, she is just like ScoobyDoo, hence the name

We always take a couple of 'bulldog clips' with us because those pesky curtains never meet in the middle! Tea-bags and coffee are also a must..

Only 2 weeks to go until we embark on Azura for a 24 day cruise to Istanbul and the Black Sea..

Thanks for mentioning that the P&O community is now defunk - the link is still on their website and I've been trying to open it for weeks..

See you onboard Azura on the 7th September, you'll easily spot us - my wife will be the lady with the most luggage!

Edited by High and Dry