P & O secrets and top tips

rubydoobydoo

I have just taken a look at the brochure, and this seems to confirm a passage at the front of deck 15 (Lido Deck) which after negotiating 3 doors, leads to the Bridge 'Balcony'.

Normally these doors are locked and may only be opened when not out at sea. Usually there are notices announcing this, so take a look when in port one day ?

John

Hi Pauline, I sure do remember you both !

What I don't remember now is a quiet place for breakfast on Azura. I don't think there is, the only ships that I know seem to have that are Oriana and Oceana (not been on Aurora as yet !).

It was a great shame that P&O closed the forum, they did that just about as we left on Arcadia's World Cruise, so all plans to keep in touch via the site had to be abandoned. It was a good site for info, and the included messaging service definitely was a bonus, and greatly missed.

We are also going to the Canaries again in November, but this time trying out QV. Hope you enjoy the trip, we need the warmth now !

John

John, that was a nice quick reply!

I have another question for you (or anyone else.) I know we can take some alcohol on board & have bought the Rum Runner flasks as recommended by someone on CC. One will be filled with the last of my duty free Bombay Sapphire gin bought on Oriana ;) I'd like to know if I should take plastic bottles of tonic to go with it, or are cans OK? Will the metal cause a problem as the bags are x rayed? They'd fit in the fridge more easily than the taller bottles.

You'll be amused to know that when I was choosing this cruise, I kept re-trying P&Os forum, as I wanted to ask you about Azura. At that time it was being temporarily shut down again & again, always on days when I tried it, so I never managed to reach you! Now we're both going to the Canaries at similar times. Shame you wont be with us, but I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Thanks again for your advice,

Pauline.

John, that was a nice quick reply!

I have another question for you (or anyone else.) I know we can take some alcohol on board & have bought the Rum Runner flasks as recommended by someone on CC. One will be filled with the last of my duty free Bombay Sapphire gin bought on Oriana ;) I'd like to know if I should take plastic bottles of tonic to go with it, or are cans OK? Will the metal cause a problem as the bags are x rayed? They'd fit in the fridge more easily than the taller bottles.

Since P&O changed the 'Duty Free' arrangements, we just carry a bottle purchased on the previous cruise, in our hand luggage. P&O seem to still allow pax to carry spirits on board, unlike other cruise lines which only allow a bottle of wine per person or even nothing !

You may find it is quite cheap to purchase alcohol in the Canaries, also.

You can take as many bottles or cans of mixers as you can carry as far as I am aware. Again we normally take a couple of litre bottles or half a dozen or so cans of mixers with us, and then stock up when in port. You should have no problem taking them on board.

BTW if you are in to Indian type cuisine, then Sindhu does a great lumchtime 'Indian tapas' style snacks for a small fee. keep your eye open for special offers ?

Enjoy your trip, it looks as though our paths won't cross this time, but you never know - its a small world ?

John

PCMRSM60...

I`m pretty sure you can buy cans of tonic from your cabin steward, failing that ASDA sell little cans of tonic you could buy and store in the fridge

Not long now until your cruise, I bet you are getting excited now deciding what to wear, what to pack, what to see and do - Have you got your ticket, luggage labels, euros etc ?!

I get off Azura on Sunday 20th as you board - A friend of mine from work is going with friends on the 20th to the Canaries, I was meant to be going too but change of plans and I`m off to the Baltics on Oriana next year instead

Regarding a quiet space for eating, I doubt that would exist on Azura as it is such a big ship but I did find a nice quiet area on Deck 17 under The Planet Bar to sit and read and while away an hour - was just me and sounds of the sea - was marvellous !!

Janix...

Thank you so much for that - I cant wait to get on Azura and explore that part of the ship !!

Does anybody know if it will be signposted like the Deck 8 passenger access to the bow sign on Azura & Ventura is?

Can you lot please use the correct terms for parts of a ship.

The front and the back. It is less typing to say forward (or forrard is even better) and aft.

There is no such thing as a roof on a ship. You stand on a deck. The ceiling is a deckhead. Walls are bulkheads. Your room is a cabin. If you didn't know port is the left side of the ship looking forrard. Starboard the right. So come on - lets try and be a touch more nautical.

The front and the back. It is less typing to say forward (or forrard is even better) and aft.

There is no such thing as a roof on a ship. You stand on a deck. The ceiling is a deckhead. Walls are bulkheads. Your room is a cabin. If you didn't know port is the left side of the ship looking forrard. Starboard the right. So come on - lets try and be a touch more nautical.

Please do not be so rude. We want to encourage people to join in discussions not having to worry about using correct terminology

Ha ha I don't know my left from my right most of the time, up, down, front, back, left and right does it for me

The only tip I have to remember is port has 4 letters the same as left !

Interesting I was told off for saying cabin on here a few months ago apparently I should have said stateroom.

I'm with the others I don't think there is any need to be rude to other posters. Also doubt very much many people will say deckhead and bulkhead they (and I) will just say ceiling and walls. Were you in the Navy perhaps or just an over keen cruiser?

Just editing to say it's just occurred to me that your post was probably trying to be humourous and therefore perhaps not rude which is how it came over.

Edited by Lazysusan

...and here's me thinking it was the pointy end and the blunt end :rolleyes:

We are also passengers not customers and they are cabins not staterooms.

Mind you I read the story about the passenger who when asked where they went on their cruise replied 'I don't know, it was some islands'

The reply to what was the name of the ship was 'I don't know, it was big and white'

Must make a packing list, not long to my Ventura cruise :)

Hi Janix,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I haven't been online for a few days. Anyway thanks for your last post. We'll certainly look at Sindhu & the other speciality places. We're actually away on my birthday, which has never happened before, so might consider one of them for that evening.

It's good to know we can take mixers in cans, as I thought they could cause problems at check in going through x-ray machines. You say you take your spirits in hand luggage. Can't you put it in a holdall with other luggage? Or is this just in case the bottle breaks? I've got the plastic containers you decant drinks into, which would solve that problem! Robert thinks I'm mad to have bought them, but I reckon it's a great idea :D Now I've just got to decide what to put in the other flasks!

Cruisefan2012,

Thanks for your post too. We chatted on the roll call for the Canaries cruise, & I remember you saying you'd changed your plans & are going to The Baltic on Oriana instead - a fabulous choice. We did that last year. But it's funny that you'll be getting off Azura as we get on. Enjoy both cruises. I'll go to the quiet area under the Planet Bar too. My list of places to find on Azura from tips on CC is growing :) Must make sure I pack it! And yes I've now got little cans of tonic to go with the gin - most important.

Rubydoobydoo,

See you there :)

Pauline

I am a new comer to P&O having sailed on mostly American lines and I have to say have been shocked by some of the abrupt and downright nasty replies and comments. One lady was downright insulted by certain replies because she dared to state how upset she was by the behaviour of some young people on her recent cruise, another by the treatment of her elderly in laws when they took ill and now the above.

We don't all know of the correct terms for parts of a ship but sure it's fun finding out and we are going on holiday not sitting exams. :D

Would not like to be sharing a table with certain people. :eek:

I am a new comer to P&O having sailed on mostly American lines and I have to say have been shocked by some of the abrupt and downright nasty replies and comments. One lady was downright insulted by certain replies because she dared to state how upset she was by the behaviour of some young people on her recent cruise, another by the treatment of her elderly in laws when they took ill and now the above.

We don't all know of the correct terms for parts of a ship but sure it's fun finding out and we are going on holiday not sitting exams. :D

I think that is a bit unfair - I was one of the people who replied on the elderly in-laws forum - but the last thing I intended to be was rude - I felt that it was an warranted criticism so I commented. That is what a forum is for

On the subject of sharing a table with certain people on our first holiday abroad and first cruise on the Azura last year we sat down to our first dinner in the restaurant with two other couples.One couple was elderly and lived in Southampton apparently and had done many cruises.The other couple were scottish and were similar age to ourselves early 50s.The elderly gentleman once he realised my good half was welsh tried to make a comment maybe a joke? he stated that all welsh women are pros yes ladies of the night.Well this certainly didnt sit well with us so we sat out the dinner then got ourselves moved in the MDR to a complete different table.I think because they thought they were posh and done loads of cruises they could belittle new cruisers the scottish couple were in their element chatting with them it goes to show there are some nasty people out there!

I think that is a bit unfair - I was one of the people who replied on the elderly in-laws forum - but the last thing I intended to be was rude - I felt that it was an warranted criticism so I commented. That is what a forum is for

Oh my goodness gadabout I was not referring to you personally I just felt IMO sorry for the elderly couple, everyone's experiences are relative to that particular person..:confused:

End of my discussion. really sorry I commented.

Did I mention that I look at the P and O website to determine what is the dress code for each night in advance then I plan my wardrobe in my head so I know what I am wearing each night

Then I pack the rest if my wardrobe just incase, and end up wearing nothing I planned to :D

Seriously though I only recently discovered the wealth of information on the P and O site, it really is worth checking out the questions section

The elderly gentleman once he realised my good half was welsh tried to make a comment maybe a joke? he stated that all welsh women are pros yes ladies of the night.Well this certainly didnt sit well with us so we sat out the dinner then got ourselves moved in the MDR to a complete different table.I think because they thought they were posh and done loads of cruises they could belittle new cruisers the scottish couple were in their element chatting with them it goes to show there are some nasty people out there!

My DH comments that he'd have felt like wiping the floor with that man, regardless of his age or how posh he thought he was, how very rude of him! :eek: Manners maketh the man is a very true saying. :)