The secret of HAL's parent company's success

K.T.B.

Interesting read. I notice his reported experience with the party atmosphere on board is in line with what some would call a "stereotype" of Carnival Cruise Lines. However, the fact is that, as he mentions, the Carnival shipboard experience is not everyone's cup of tea.

Interesting read. I notice his reported experience with the party atmosphere on board is in line with what some would call a "stereotype" of Carnival Cruise Lines. However, the fact is that, as he mentions, the Carnival shipboard experience is not everyone's cup of tea.
I'm going to assume you meant "her" and "she".... as the article is written by a woman. :)

I think the article is pretty much in line with what we have found on Carnival...other than the fact that we have sailed with them during periods when the number of youngsters was much smaller.

IMO, the marketing program that has lead to Carnival's success may be one of the most remarkable in modern business history.

For an interesting take on the background of Carnival's marketing and popularity, check out "Devils of the Deep Blue Sea" by Kristoffer A. Garin. Fascinating as it is unsettling, the author pulls no punches in outlining the evolution of the modern cruise industry. This is easily the best book I've read on cruising.

As much as I Love my Granddaughters & enjoy their friends, don't think I could handle cruising with 500 children...:eek: Our favorite pastime, on sea days, is to find a quiet place on deck & read a good book..:rolleyes: It can take up to a week to read one book, as we often have to rest our eyes...:o (it must be the glare of the ocean...LOL) We usually cruise while the kids are in school & plan to stick with HAL as much as possible...:)

Ah, I'd LOVE to sail when school's in session...unfortunately I teach and the school calendar sets my sailing times!

Carnival does give good value and has opened up the cruising market to many who could not afford to sail before.

And oh....those beautiful flowers!:)

Ziuderdam, here I come.....can't wait!

I give Carnival a great deal of credit for bringing cruising to where it is today. Whether you like their specific format or not they've been hugely successful. Our first cruise back in 1994 was a 4-day cruise on the Fantasy to see whether or not cruising was a vacation we'd like. The next year was the Ryndam and we've been hooked on cruising and HAL ever since....other than the small diversion last year with Celebrity on the Galaxy out of Galveston. So, while we're not planning on any Carnival cruises in the near future we can honestly say Carnival sold us on cruising.

Whether you like Carnival or not. They are doing something right. You can't argue with success:)

They have all the bases covered. Whether you enjoy hairy chest contests, pre dinner cocktails in an S suite, or High Tea on The QM2. Carnival is smiling all the way to the bank:)

A Wall Street Whiz I will never be, but that is just plain good business.

For an interesting take on the background of Carnival's marketing and popularity, check out "Devils of the Deep Blue Sea" by Kristoffer A. Garin. Fascinating as it is unsettling, the author pulls no punches in outlining the evolution of the modern cruise industry. This is easily the best book I've read on cruising.

Just picked up this book this morning to take with me on my weekend cruise. Looks like good reading.

Cruisingator-

It's a great book! Unlike "Cruiseship Blues", this book isn't a wholesale condemnation of the industry. I think that it's fair and evenhanded. The history of the the empire building within the industry is really amazing. The author actually took the time to do his research and conduct interviews with the people he's writing about (unlike "Cruiseship Blues" which is largely a bunch of personal experience, anecdotal blather). I hope that you enjoy it and would love to discuss it with you when you're done.

Cheers-Will

But you are. All those kids help fund HAL's continued existence.

OK, as long as we're getting into theories of we-are-all-connected remote causation and results, may all those kids live long, happy and productive lives so they can eventually help fund my Social Security, if any, and/or keep the stock market going so I can continue to afford to cruise on some other line where there aren't so many kids anywhere in my proximity at one time.

OK, as long as we're getting into theories of we-are-all-connected remote causation and results, may all those kids live long, happy and productive lives so they can eventually help fund my Social Security, if any, and/or keep the stock market going so I can continue to afford to cruise on some other line where there aren't so many kids anywhere in my proximity at one time.

*LOL* Very good reply:)

I like that *LOL*

Hi WillK,

As soon as I get through perusing the HAL boards I'm going directly to A.com to buy 'Devil's of the Deep Blue Sea'. Thanks for the recommendation. I love to read and if I can gain any information while doing so then all the better.:)

WillK: I saw your tip about "Devils....." and ordered it from Amazon yesterday. I'm a ship nut and fascinated by the cruise industry. Thanks for the heads up.

DFD1-

I'm a ship nut too. If you have any favorite reads, let me know. If you go to maritimematters.com and click on "Peter Knego", he's done a wonderful video series called "The World's Passenger Fleet". I've ordered several of these and they're a real pleasure. His expertise is in league with John Maxtone-Graham.

WillK:...I just finished "Devils On The Deep Blue Sea". A remarkable story well told. Two things stick in my mind as I write this. First, the prediction that the cruise industry will double before it levels off.....That's going to be interesting to watch over the next few years.

Second, the fact that Arison took the passenger payments float on NCL and used it as his own to finance his start-up. It's hard to imagine that the float was treated so casually by all the parties involved. For Arison to take it and wind up paying back only 60% after years is court was a slick and gutsy thing to do.

The book is a good read about an endlessly fascinating industry.

Thanks again dfd@americainter.net

DFD1- Glad that you liked it. I had the same reaction. I would've never considered purchasing RCI or Carnival stock before reading this book but now I'm wondering...It does seem that cruising is becoming increasingly popular and with control in the hands of just three major players, the prices/profits can only go up. I just wonder how long they'll be able to get away without paying fed taxes? I was also amazed that Arison was able to pull off that pre-cruise deposit float scheme. That his business partners could've been so trusting and niave defies explanation! Instead of landing him in jail, it led him to become one of the richest men in the world??? What a story!

You might want to take a look at Carnival stock if you haven't already. Its rise has been more than a little bit interesting. I know some who say they bought it at around $12 or $15 and last time I checked it was in the $50's. I have a small block of it from sometime back and would not think of selling it.

Archived