Internet Access and Tablets

LastUsernameEver

I know how often the Princess website seems to be incorrect, but they seem to be pretty clear that one needs to have web mail access as opposed to being able to use their own mail client. That makes me think that the web access Princess offers is only browser-based.

In other words, it sounds as though when you get access to the Internet, it is purely through a particular browser. That being the case, one would not be able to use a standalone application, like those available on tablets.

I was hoping I would be able to sign on to the Internet and download my digital version of my own newspaper applications and then sign off so I could read them "offline".

I'm not even sure how to properly word my question...but I am assuming that there might be some computer whiz out there who knows what I'm really asking. :-)

My general question is am I able to bring just my Android tablet with me when I cruise Princess or must I bring a windows or Mac computer to access the Internet?

Thanks.

Not completely sure what you mean. But it does help to have a web-based email address with a site such as Yahoo, Earthlink, Google.

If you absolutely need to have access to a specific account that's not web based (and remember there could be times the ship may not get a signal), perhaps you can check into whether your email can be forwarded to an web based system. My hubby found that that his workplace email is easily forwardable (his boss had apparently been getting his emails forwarded to a Yahoo account for some years), so he changed his setting so his work emails are also copied to his G-mail. Comes in handy when he's expecting info on a day off.

You can use your tablet to access your Internet email. If you can use WiFi and access the Internet with your tablet, you can use any program on your tablet to download newspapers, books, etc. If something is graphic-based, that takes up a lot of bandwidth and you may or may not be able to download data depending on what time you log on and where the ship is.

However, some internet email clients are tricky and a pain to use whether you're on a tablet, netbook or computer. My friend has Comcast and it's a struggle every time.

I know how often the Princess website seems to be incorrect, but they seem to be pretty clear that one needs to have web mail access as opposed to being able to use their own mail client. That makes me think that the web access Princess offers is only browser-based.

In other words, it sounds as though when you get access to the Internet, it is purely through a particular browser. That being the case, one would not be able to use a standalone application, like those available on tablets.

I was hoping I would be able to sign on to the Internet and download my digital version of my own newspaper applications and then sign off so I could read them "offline".

I'm not even sure how to properly word my question...but I am assuming that there might be some computer whiz out there who knows what I'm really asking. :-)

My general question is am I able to bring just my Android tablet with me when I cruise Princess or must I bring a windows or Mac computer to access the Internet?

Thanks.

FWIW, anything that you download is taking bandwidth, thus taking a lot of your internet time and slowing things down for others. Looking at e-mail with a web based e-mail access versus downloading your e-mail is going to be quicker and take less bandwidth. Downloading your newspaper, on the other hand, is going to take some bandwidth and time, but probably much less time than staying connected and trying to read it while connected to its source. Hope that makes sense.:cool:

Anything you can do at home on your tablet you can do on a Princess ship.

You just need to sign on to the WIFI network on the ship, paying for the time you use either by the minute or with a package of minutes you can buy.

As others have pointed out, it will normally be a slower connection than what you are used to on land.

I travel with a Samsung Galaxie tab. Email works fine, providing you are in a "hot" area. I've found signal strength on Princess ships to run the gamut from nothing to very strong and all points in between. Find the hot areas and you'll be fine. Tablets typically suck much less data/bandwidth than laptops.

I've had no trouble using Outlook 2007 or 2010 accessing and downloading email via Cisco VPN to corporate server or straight in via Outlook connector to .msn or Outlook via smtp to msn or gmail.

Downloading and reading/replying offline is the key to saving time and money. Web based browsers are time hogs, but sometimes necessary if your server has "issues".

Oh yeah, OP asked about tablets, we've had no trouble with Android (Nexus 7) or Apple tablets (IPAD 4) or Android phones downloading and offline reading/responding to the email apps either via Wi-Fi.

(I always take a laptop on long cruises to pay bills, do travelogs and download photos/videos to...)

As has been stated, if you bring your own computer (laptop, tablet, ipod, etc.) you should have no problem using your own email client. I’ve done it with both a laptop (running Windows 7) and an ipod.

That being said, if you use one of the Princess computers in the computer area, you will only be able to access your email with a browser-based email client.

Ipad worked well on cruise around South America. Reception from cabin was spotty, but standing in doorway with door open improved reception. I have a subscription to online NYT and was able to download every morning in just 3-4 minutes. Always be sure to log off so you are not charged extra minutes. I found the best time to use ship computers or ipad was very early morning 5-6 am.

I think ideally you SHOULD be able to access your "home" email server on the Princess ship. I have had issues and when I did, the internet cafe manager recommended I try this web based site to access my "home" email. it is called mail2web. It worked for me on my laptop and I imagine it would with a tablet as well by going via Safari or Mozilla.

http://mail2web.com/

I know how often the Princess website seems to be incorrect, but they seem to be pretty clear that one needs to have web mail access as opposed to being able to use their own mail client.....

OK, I read what the Princess web site said:

Use our state-of-the-art computer systems to access your web-based email account, or browse the Internet for world news, sports and stock trading. Or bring your wireless-enabled laptop and access the Internet through our improved onboard wireless service.

Passengers who subscribe to email services from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) are advised to verify that their ISP has a web-mail viewing site prior to sailing. Most major ISPs have websites that allow email access via a web browser using an email address and password.

Princess is saying what they do about using a web-based email because they are referring to the passenger who uses Princess' computers.

I travel with a Samsung Galaxie tab. Email works fine' date=' providing you are in a "hot" area. I've found signal strength on Princess ships to run the gamut from nothing to very strong and all points in between. Find the hot areas and you'll be fine. Tablets typically suck much less data/bandwidth than laptops.[/quote']

You can often speed up a laptop by pointing to the mobile site

of whatever you want to access; and/or using a browser like

Firefox that lets you fake your user agent.

Still not as fast as apps on tablets/phone, though.

Use our state-of-the-art computer systems to access your web-based email account

This part sounds like it was written by some marketing hack rather than someone who has a clue about technology... I get really suspicious when any company makes claims of this sort.

Archived