Cruise Insurance

RCI is an agent for an Insurance Company. If you wind up using the insurance, you will deal with the insurance company not with RCI. I have no idea what you mean by trusting a web site. You can get ratings and reviews for all travel insurance companies and I would suspect that many of them rate higher than the one RCI uses. As far as medical coverage is concerned, I believe there are one or two worldwide companies who provide the medical coverage. Travel Insurance companies basically subcontract the medical coverage to one of these companies. It does not make sense that every travel insurance company will have a representative in every major city in in the world. In most cases, the medical insurance company will help you find the right doctor/ hospital and guarantee payment for larger amounts. They will make all arrangements for medical evacuation.

So what you are saying is MAYBE they can cover you without you having to use a credit card. If you are seriously injured and can't speak, how do all these things happen? I'm not being silly, but there is no such thing as a perfect disaster. And since I guess I feel the need to explain everything to you, I know no insurance company can work on your behalf if you don't call them. It's not pinned on your lapel.

My main point was not that I would turn to RCI for claims. I did say agent, didn't I? I'm lazy and I don't always trust web sites. Do you trust every web site? It's far easier, time wise, for me to buy from RCI than to spend time chasing down ratings and still not know how to read a policy. You have your own work experience I don't. Your opinion is valuable for that reason, but I don't follow it. For only me it's worth just paying RCI $238 dollars rather than trying to save $50 bucks. Consumers make that kind of decision all the time. Please don't scold me.:)

Enjoy your future cruises.

Thanks, but I've looked into it and it doesn't make sense for me. I've chosen the investments that I'm most comfortable with, and I just don't see this as a worthwhile return.

Interesting that you genuinely believe that this is a good idea for "everyone", with no consideration of their current well-being, family situation, or investment portfolio.

I think it's somewhat irresponsible when people come on here and trash travel insurance as "bad for everyone". And that's why I don't do that. I know it's not a good investment for me, but who am I to speak for everyone else? I think it is equally irresponsible to come on here and intimate that it is something that "everyone" should get. Combine that with the attempts to scare people (like the $18,000 medevac- sounds like a reasonable price to me), and there are a lot of scare tactics being used that make me really uncomfortable.

The poster recommending insurance is making a recommendation in their opinion, not a requirement ... It is your prerogative if you wish not to take their recomendation.

Just like, a poster may

Recommend you have a great time on your cruise ... it is your prerogative not to have a good time

Recommend you get to the port in time to embark prior to the ship sailing .... it is your prerogative not to arrive on time

Recommend you not walk on the balcony's hand rail in fear of falling overboard .... it is your prerogative whether you walk on the hand rail or not.

Recommend that you purchase a swim suite for your cruise ... it is your prerogative to go without a swim suit.

Recommend you enjoy the ports as opposed to staying on the ship ... it is your prerogative whether you exit the ship or not

Can go on and on, I think the point is made however you may not have "come on here and trash travel insurance" but you have come on here and trashed the poster's opinion and recommendation. So now this is trashing yours.

These forums are for questions and each and every answer is an opinion or recommendation and occasionally outright fact. Without opinions or without recommendations, there would be no Cruise Critic.

My regular health insurance provides coverage abroad as out-of-network, so I don't need much there.

Trip cancellation I self-insure. I'll cover it myself, if G-d forbid, I have to cancel a cruise on short notice.

The big one for me is medevac coverage - emergency medical evac can cost $25k+ and that's a one time expense I can't absorb.

I buy it from insuremytrip.com which provides competitive pricing and a wide choice of policies.

Can go on and on, I think the point is made however you may not have "come on here and trash travel insurance" but you have come on here and trashed the poster's opinion and recommendation. So now this is trashing yours.

These forums are for questions and each and every answer is an opinion or recommendation and occasionally outright fact. Without opinions or without recommendations, there would be no Cruise Critic.

I did not trash the poster's opinion. I shared my cautionary view that some of the most misguided declarations are those that are absolute. There is a lot of danger in "never" and "always". Particularly in regards to decisions others will make when we do not know the particulars.

I strongly believe that like any other form of insurance, it is best viewed as an investment. One must look at all the variables, and than make a determination: What am I comfortable with in regards to risk? What am I seeking as a return on my investment? How does adding or subtracting this affect the rest of my investment strategy?

I do however concede that I am in the minority in using this approach. Most people simply appreciate the "piece of mind" that comes with insurance. And if that works for them, great! But I do think it merits a closer look from a different perspective, and that is all I am trying to present.

So what you are saying is MAYBE they can cover you without you having to use a credit card. If you are seriously injured and can't speak, how do all these things happen? I'm not being silly, but there is no such thing as a perfect disaster. And since I guess I feel the need to explain everything to you, I know no insurance company can work on your behalf if you don't call them. It's not pinned on your lapel.

My main point was not that I would turn to RCI for claims. I did say agent, didn't I? I'm lazy and I don't always trust web sites. Do you trust every web site? It's far easier, time wise, for me to buy from RCI than to spend time chasing down ratings and still not know how to read a policy. You have your own work experience I don't. Your opinion is valuable for that reason, but I don't follow it. For only me it's worth just paying RCI $238 dollars rather than trying to save $50 bucks. Consumers make that kind of decision all the time. Please don't scold me.:)

Enjoy your future cruises.

I used to sell cruises and know a little about travel insurance. You are definitely not in a position to explain anything to me if you are purchasing travel insurance from RCCL Every travel agent in the world will tell you to read the policy before you buy. If you read the RCCL terms and conditions and compare them to other travel insurance, you will find that the RCCL policy falls way short. It only covers $10,000 for medical and #25,000 for emergency evacuation. A good policy will provide $50,000 Medical and $1,000,000 for Emergency Evacuation. Also, it does not cover previously existing medical conditions. I have read many insurance policy terms and conditions and I can say that the RCCL provides less coverage than any policy I have seen. You are basically purchasing trip cancellation insurance and even that would not cover you for a pre-existing medical condition. So if you just change a medication or even stop taking a medication within 60 days of purchasing the policy, you are not covered for any medical problem related to that condition.

As far as not being able to talk, I never travel alone and always carry the travel insurance card with me. Either my wife would call the company (toll free from anywhere in the world) or the treating doctor / hospital would call. So no, it is not pinned on my lapel. It is in a much safer place - in my wallet in my left front pocket.

We plan to travel a lot next year, so we have been pricing an annual plan for for the whole year. It appears that the annual plans can be had at a fairly good price and cover all my travel needs.

My medical would/should be good, but I want to make sure that my DW and myself are covered for anything that might happen.

I do not consider it a "have to have" but as family members start getting older (us also), things can come up that may cause us to cancel a cruise after final payment. If I were not getting the annual plan, I cannot say I would get the insurance for all my trips depending on how close to departure date I purchase them.

Note that you have to have coverage for previously existing medical conditions if you need to cancel for older family members who have such a condition. Of course, the same applies to you and your wife.

I used to sell cruises and know a little about travel insurance. You are definitely not in a position to explain anything to me if you are purchasing travel insurance from RCCL Every travel agent in the world will tell you to read the policy before you buy. If you read the RCCL terms and conditions and compare them to other travel insurance, you will find that the RCCL policy falls way short. It only covers $10,000 for medical and #25,000 for emergency evacuation. A good policy will provide $50,000 Medical and $1,000,000 for Emergency Evacuation. Also, it does not cover previously existing medical conditions. I have read many insurance policy terms and conditions and I can say that the RCCL provides less coverage than any policy I have seen. You are basically purchasing trip cancellation insurance and even that would not cover you for a pre-existing medical condition. So if you just change a medication or even stop taking a medication within 60 days of purchasing the policy, you are not covered for any medical problem related to that condition.

As far as not being able to talk, I never travel alone and always carry the travel insurance card with me. Either my wife would call the company (toll free from anywhere in the world) or the treating doctor / hospital would call. So no, it is not pinned on my lapel. It is in a much safer place - in my wallet in my left front pocket.

You don't get it, you will never get it. You only have the need to feel you are the only one that can be correct. I definitely take back that I said your opinion is valuable, it is not. You also are not welcome to try to explain anything to me because you cannot stand anyone else's opinion other than your own.

You just make things up. I never said RCI was perfect and when your travel companion is injured in the same accident who will speak for you?

Good night.

I have use different insurance, I like Travel Guard the best. I just used RCCL insurance on my cruise in April, (thought I was saving money) my husband got sick while we were still in Florida, still fighting for them to pay for the extra hotel bill, food, etc. He was too sick to fly home, they even have a doctor's report. Even though I called and they confirmed that we would be completely covered they are not quick to pay. I will never use RCCL Cruise Care again. Like others have said check out other insurance companies.

they didnt want to pay when dh needed emergency surgery 3 days before our cruise, we sent them the info and a doctors note. they then said they needed every doctor that saw him in the hospital to fill out the form to prove it wasz not preexisting and not stable when booked. i told them per the paperwork they needed info from doctors he saw before the booking to see if preexisting applied . he was in a hospital that never saw him before, and if they did not send me a check i was posting on cruise critic. we recieved a check that week. go cruise critic!!!!

We always buy ours through Insure My Trip.com. I buy Travelex Travelite and purchase the policy that serves as "primary" rather than secondary and because I purchase within 14 days of booking the cruise I am covered for pre-existing conditions.

The policy we bought for our upcoming cruise on the Allure cost me a total of $140 for two people and we are both over 60. It has great coverage for medical and medivac.

You don't get it, you will never get it. You only have the need to feel you are the only one that can be correct. I definitely take back that I said your opinion is valuable, it is not. You also are not welcome to try to explain anything to me because you cannot stand anyone else's opinion other than your own.

You just make things up. I never said RCI was perfect and when your travel companion is injured in the same accident who will speak for you

No need to be defensive. Giorgi is giving valuable information, and I agree with him/her that cruise line coverage is generally a poor deal.

The poster recommending insurance is making a recommendation in their opinion, not a requirement ... It is your prerogative if you wish not to take their recomendation.

Recommend you get to the port in time to embark prior to the ship sailing .... it is your prerogative not to arrive on time

Recommend you not walk on the balcony's hand rail in fear of falling overboard .... it is your prerogative whether you walk on the hand rail or not.

Recommend that you purchase a swim suite for your cruise ... it is your prerogative to go without a swim suit.

These are obviously fairly lame comparisons, as no one would argue that these points are debatable. To not follow these suggestions offers no upside, and a huge risk of problems. But to assert that EVERYONE who cruises needs to get insurance is pure folly.

These are obviously fairly lame comparisons, as no one would argue that these points are debatable. To not follow these suggestions offers no upside, and a huge risk of problems. But to assert that EVERYONE who cruises needs to get insurance is pure folly.

I will not elaborate on the true lame and folly as it has become obvious to all who have read.

To criticize those who are trying to help the OP with guidance, suggestions and valuable information is in fact hypocritical. The forums are for discussions, questions, suggestions and guidelines. It is up to the reader to use the information provided and to come to their own conclusion.

Unlike yourself who must have read in some magazine that insurance is not a good investment, most here are decision making adults and capable of taking said information and making a choice for themselves. There has been some great suggestions and references put forth and I am sure that anyone reading will be enriched with new information to assist in making an educated decision, one way or the other that they did not have if this forum did not exist.

Only had to cancel one trip due to emergency surgery but everything was refunded. It cured me of ever questioning if it was worth it for me. But I appreciate the fact that others have different situations. I am a relatively healthy female in her 50s who has had unexpected health challenges so never thought I would even need to consider it until a few years ago. It gives me peace of mind as the trip gets closer.

[quote name='mein18']To criticize those who are trying to help the OP with guidance, suggestions and valuable information is in fact hypocritical. The forums are for discussions, questions, suggestions and guidelines. It is up to the reader to use the information provided and to come to their own conclusion. [/QUOTE]

I too am trying to help the OP, and anyone asking about travel insurance. Read my first response, and tell me what about this is not helpful. All I am trying to say is that I do not believe this is one of those "one size fits all" situations.

[quote name='mein18']Unlike yourself who must have read in some magazine that insurance is not a good investment, most here are decision making adults and capable of taking said information and making a choice for themselves.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the magazine reference is about. I have made the PERSONAL financial decision that cruise insurance is not a worthwhile investment. I did this as a "decision making adult" capable of taking said information and making a choice for myself (sound familiar). I'm just not sure how useful the undertone by some that this is an absolute necessity for everyone, and intimating that it is pure folly to even consider heading on a cruise without it, is really the kind of information that helps people in "making a choice for themselves".

Look, it's quite clear that you feel very passionately (almost disproportionately so) about cruise insurance. That's great, I'm happy for you. But please don't take my suggestion (which is actually the same you are arguing, to let people decide for themselves) as some sort of personal attack. After all, how can you take it so personally? I don't even know you.

[quote name='macruisefan']I too am trying to help the OP, and anyone asking about travel insurance. Read my first response, and tell me what about this is not helpful. All I am trying to say is that I do not believe this is one of those "one size fits all" situations.
[/QUOTE]

You should have stated your original comments similar to this as you originally implied that you were some type of insurance and travel expert basically telling everyone they are crazy if the take insurance.

[quote name='mein18']You should have stated your original comments similar to this as you originally implied that you were some type of insurance and travel expert basically telling everyone they are crazy if the take insurance.[/QUOTE]

This was my first post:

[quote name='macruisefan']Cruise Insurance is a very personal topic, and one of great debate here. There are those that swear by it, and those that don't get it. Personally, I have looked at it closely and determined that it is not a beneficial part of my investment strategy. However, that is an entirely personal decision.

My best advice, look at several offers, and pay attention to what is covered, and the particulars about it. Then look at your own situation and decide if it is a worthwhile investment.[/QUOTE]

Where was I "telling everyone they are crazy if they take insurance"?????

[quote name='macruisefan']
Look, it's quite clear that you feel very passionately (almost disproportionately so) about cruise insurance. That's great, I'm happy for you. But please don't take my suggestion (which is actually the same you are arguing, to let people decide for themselves) as some sort of personal attack. After all, how can you take it so personally? I don't even know you.[/QUOTE]

we are not "passionate" in regards to travel insurance. Take it on a trip by trip basis. What we are "passionate" about is the true purpose of these forums and threads.

it is good to see that you have turned around and taken your original cut and dry travel insurance is a terrible investment speech and making it clear to those who read that it is a personal, potential need based, trip by trip decision to be made.

With that all behind us, I apologize to the OP for the swaying away from your original purpose of this question.

[B]Now that we see there are mixed opinions on travel insurance albeit most in favor, those who do favor the insurance, what do you look for besides price when selecting the company, coverage and specific policies?[/B]

[quote name='mein18']it is good to see that you have turned around and taken your original cut and dry travel insurance is a terrible investment speech and making it clear to those who read that it is a personal, potential need based, trip by trip decision to be made.[/B][/QUOTE]

Now you're just making things up! I never said ANYTHING other than it is a personal decision. That is as far from cut and dry as possible!

[quote name='Giorgi-one']Just a reminder to seniors that Social Security provides no medical insurance outside the US and Medigap Plans have very limited coverage.[/QUOTE]

And don't forget also, that the ships themselves are considered foreign countries for medical insurance purposes. So you could be docked in Manhattan and still not have your medical bills covered if service rendered on the ship. Insurance will also for most not reimburse these bills either.

We always take travel insurance. Besides the medical costs consider cost of medical evacuation from one of the islands etc or even the ship. Or you can just sit in that little bungalow some island calls a hospital. Most travel insurance companies also provide assistance when such evacuation is needed in obtaining same.

In over 50 cruises only used insurance once to cover relatively minor lancing procedure and followup yet charges were equal to two cruise insurance charges. Reimburse was made promptly by travel insurance Access America, now Alianze.

George in NY

My last cruise I needed medical assistance on the ship. Expensive? Yes! When I returned home I filed a claim with my insurance company and they paid a small amount. Then I filed with RC insurance and they paid the balance. This was a small claim but it alone was more than the cost of the coverage. So, I am in favor of cruise insurance. After more than forty cruises it's the first time I have used it. However in my younger days when I was bullet-proof I would decline coverage. It's just a roll of the dice.

Just my opinion, but I do not look at travel insurance as an investment. Again, just my opinion. Not criticizing anyone who does. I do not worry about cancellation. My primary concerns are medical coverage, delay caused by cancelled flights and medical evacuation. My medical insurance covers me 100% for travel but I realize that doctors and hospitals in foreign countries will not accept my medical insurance. In any emergency, I would be completely alone. The insurance provides a contact who speaks the local language and can direct us to approved doctors and hospitals. Yes, I recognize that I am depending on the insurance to provide competent medical treatment but it has to be better than what I can do on my own in an emergency. This type of policy usually runs around $100 total which I do not consider an investment, just part of the cruise cost. I am not trying to tell anyone that this is the only way to purchase insurance. As far as purchasing insurance from the cruise line, it is a matter of coverage. I can get much better coverage at a lower cost elsewhere. Again, in my opinion, some insurance is better than no insurance, so if someone feels more comfortable purchasing insurance from the cruise line then by all means do it. In all cases, make sure you understand the restrictions on your policy particularly regarding preexisting medical conditions which apply to both you and your family in the event you have to cancel. I once attended a seminar given by a travel insurance company where the presenter said that travel insurance is all about WHAT IS NOT COVERED.

[quote name='Georgeny']And don't forget also, that the ships themselves are considered foreign countries for medical insurance purposes. So you could be docked in Manhattan and still not have your medical bills covered if service rendered on the ship. Insurance will also for most not reimburse these bills either.

We always take travel insurance. Besides the medical costs consider cost of medical evacuation from one of the islands etc or even the ship. Or you can just sit in that little bungalow some island calls a hospital. Most travel insurance companies also provide assistance when such evacuation is needed in obtaining same.

In over 50 cruises only used insurance once to cover relatively minor lancing procedure and followup yet charges were equal to two cruise insurance charges. Reimburse was made promptly by travel insurance Access America, now Alianze.

George in NY[/QUOTE]

Agree. I also use Alianze. As far a medical evacuation, the insurance company MUST make the arrangements as stated in the policy. If you make them on your own, they probably will not cover the cost.

Archived