Explore4 and Pinnacle reservations

Amolin

We are booked on the Eurodam in January. The other day I tried to make a Pinnacle reservation for the last evening as this is our tradition. We are a group of 6 and I wanted to be sure we could get this date and the time we want. When I went to HAL's website you could make reservations for Tamarind or Canaletto but not Pinnacle. I called my TA to ask her to check on this and while she was at it to see if we would be able to get the Explore4. After speaking with HAL she told me she thinks they added the Explore4 but never exactly got a straight answer from the agent and that she was told they were not currently taking reservations for the Pinnacle and that the time for dinner offered through Explore4 would be assigned when you got on the ship. I assume this means it will be much harder to get a Pinnacle reservation as they will be holding them aside for the Explore4 package. Will keep trying for our reservations.

PG has rarely been able to fill all the requested reservations all these years due to kitchen facilities and staffing. How in the world will they be able to do it now with all the free Explore4 patrons? Will they be able to cover Explore4 reservations much less regular paying diners? Don't see how. :eek:

Since HAL will assign the day and time of Explore4 free dining, I suspect the free people will be assigned a day or two before sailing ... and only get what is left after others have made reservations onliine. It is possible that not every, and perhaps only a few, Explore4 passenger will be able to dine in the Pinnacle.

Since HAL will assign the day and time of Explore4 free dining, I suspect the free people will be assigned a day or two before sailing ... and only get what is left after others have made reservations onliine. It is possible that not every, and perhaps only a few, Explore4 passenger will be able to dine in the Pinnacle.

HAL could expand the hours of operation, too.

"Your Pinnacle reservation linked to your Explore4 purchase has been made for Thursday at 3:00 PM. Please present this card upon arrival." ;)

HAL could expand the hours of operation, too.

"Your Pinnacle reservation linked to your Explore4 purchase has been made for Thursday at 3:00 PM. Please present this card upon arrival." ;)

Indeed ... HAL shouldn't offer a promo without some means of accommodating most, if not all, of the passengers getting the package goodies. So, they may need to add hours to do so.

I have thought of this too, and wonder how they will handle it. We aren't too fussy about when we dine, but some nights may be impossible. We'll be having some long days in port and wouldn't want to rush back to the ship for a 5pm dinner reservation. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if they'll add the option of 2 Pinnacle lunches in place of a dinner? That would work for us, but probably not everyone. It would help with the scheduling problem IMO.

Here is my view on the matter. Exlpore4 is a promo. It will only last for a month or two. It comes down to a numbers game. In this window of opportunity only a percentage of people will book with HAL per cruise with cabins that permit them a Pinnacle reservation. How many people that have current bookings outside of CC know of this promotion will go back to HAL and ask for this to be applied. Not many.

If the average passenger count of the fleet is 1565 souls. And assume that only 25% book in this window that gives you 391 people. Now removing another 30% for inside cabins. Gives you 273. If the average number of seats in the Pinnacle per 7 night (6 really for eating dinner) is 600 based on an average seating of 50 at once time and two services a night. Without taking away the numbers on no shows, people not liking the Pinnacle, and other reasons. That would easily enough cover the committed to covers for a typical 7 night cruise. But I assume they would limit the number people per cruise to some number to limit their exposure.

I can see many people are not going to get their free dinners with all the promotions HAL has going.

5 Star Mariners are now permitted to get 2 free Pinnacle dinners each. And now with this Explore4 program -- those 5 star Mariners are now entitled to another free Pinnacle dinner (if their cruise qualifies).

The Pinnacle has never full at each time slot -- for years it has been common knowledge that the Pinnacle only allows so many people each evening for all the time slots.

Also remember that 3 star mariners get 25% off and 4 star mariners get 50% off Pinnacle dinners.

I doubt if any us will get all the free dinners that are offered to us.

I suppose this is valid concern. We are amongst those getting the explore4 perks, but we are travelling on a very port intensive cruise and there are some nights we simply might not want to go. I suppose we'll take what we get and that might mean nothing (or that our given night doesn't work out).

I'm starting to call the promo Explore3 - since we'll be assigned a date and time for the Pinnacle Grill and, according to HAL, you can request that it be changed when you board the ship (not before) but there is no guarantee it will be. We also have a port intensive cruise and there are some nights it's simply not feasible to go.

I wonder how the service will change in the PG once every seat is filled? What about the menu? Will that be changed as well?

I'm glad my cruise doesn't qualify for Explore 4 because we want to enjoy the Pinnacle on our cruise!

5 Star Mariners are now permitted to get 2 free Pinnacle dinners each. And now with this Explore4 program -- those 5 star Mariners are now entitled to another free Pinnacle dinner (if their cruise qualifies).

Not everyone qualifies for the Pinnacle dinner, even if their cruise does.

I wonder how the service will change in the PG once every seat is filled? What about the menu? Will that be changed as well?

I'm glad my cruise doesn't qualify for Explore 4 because we want to enjoy the Pinnacle on our cruise!

They never have and never will fill every seat.

HAL only allows only so many people to dine at the various dining times.

On our Westerdam cruise this past spring there were only 6 servers!! When we have sailed on the Westerdam in the past there were 8. Originally when the ship sailed there were 10.

I am aware of that -- but many people here are getting that perk.

Which is what needed to be clarified. Some people get the Pinnacle Grill dinner; some do not.

And CC is only a very small percentage of the people booking cruises.

:confused: Not sure what that has to do with it.

Archived