so confused about guarantee category

I have been reading so many comments on here about the "guarantee" category and I am getting more confused by the minute. I have read that once you are assigned a cabin that you can call and have that cabin switched if you don't like it. Can you do that even if there is another cabin in the same category, but that category cost more money now?

I guess what I am trying to say is that I booked a guaranteed category on Freedom of the Seas for December 8. At the time I had 2 options. The categories available for the inside were Cat. Q & Z for $499.00pp I picked cat. Z. Two days later I was assigned cabin 6685 which shows up as a light blue colour code.( I think it is a category N). Not a bad cabin, but very aft. I looked today, and there are other cabins available with the light blue colour code, but they are now $579.00pp.

There is a cabin available on deck 2, midship that I think I might like better, just because of the location. It has the same colour code as 6685 but like I said it is now $579.00pp. So can I or can I not move to that cabin without paying the price difference?

I have been reading so many comments on here about the "guarantee" category and I am getting more confused by the minute. I have read that once you are assigned a cabin that you can call and have that cabin switched if you don't like it. Can you do that even if there is another cabin in the same category, but that category cost more money now?

I guess what I am trying to say is that I booked a guaranteed category on Freedom of the Seas for December 8. At the time I had 2 options. The categories available for the inside were Cat. Q & Z for $499.00pp I picked cat. Z. Two days later I was assigned cabin 6685 which shows up as a light blue colour code.( I think it is a category N). Not a bad cabin, but very aft. I looked today, and there are other cabins available with the light blue colour code, but they are now $579.00pp.

There is a cabin available on deck 2, midship that I think I might like better, just because of the location. It has the same colour code as 6685 but like I said it is now $579.00pp. So can I or can I not move to that cabin without paying the price difference?

Royal usually lets you move to another stateroom in the same exact catagory as you have been assigned. You will not have to pay any price difference when moving within the same exact category.

Just did it today....I had a Junior Suite "guarantee" for Oasis. They assigned my cabin. I looked at what other JS cabins were available, and called and had it changed to a different JS that I liked better. So, as long as you're staying in the same category, you can switch with no additional cost.

So how do you know which cabins are available? I would like to do this but don't know what is available.

you can use Royal Caribbean's site by doing a mock booking, but I more often use a travel agent's website (sorry, we cannot give TA names) as it tends to show more cabins more quickly.

So how do you know which cabins are available? I would like to do this but don't know what is available.

Just try to book the class of room you want and they will pop up what is available. I find that I have better luck sometimes seeing open rooms on the big box store that starts with a C website than on RCL. RCL site does not always seem to show me all of what is open.

Or just call and tell them the area you want and they can tell you what they have.

Hope that helps you some. No matter where you are you will have fun by just being on the cruise.

There is a major travel agency that starts with T that has a great graphical representation of all cabins available in any category. I use that agency to find a cabin then call my TA to change cabins at no cost. Just need to make sure it is the exact same category you were assigned then if doesn't matter what the price is compared to what you paid there will be no change in price to move.

The biggest question here is why would you want to move from a Deck 6 aft to a Deck 2 midship? You already have the better cabin of the two. You'd rather move to the lowest deck and a higher traffic stateroom? Keep the one you have! :)

There are only two cabins in your category available. Of the three cabins: the one you were assigned, and these two, I would either keep the one that you have or take 6527, which is about as far forward as 6685 is aft.

There is less general traffic on the forward elevators, if that is a consideration for you.

Forward is the theatre, aft is the dining room.

Just try to book the class of room you want and they will pop up what is available. I find that I have better luck sometimes seeing open rooms on the big box store that starts with a C website than on RCL. RCL site does not always seem to show me all of what is open.

Or just call and tell them the area you want and they can tell you what they have.

Hope that helps you some. No matter where you are you will have fun by just being on the cruise.

There is a major travel agency that starts with T that has a great graphical representation of all cabins available in any category. I use that agency to find a cabin then call my TA to change cabins at no cost. Just need to make sure it is the exact same category you were assigned then if doesn't matter what the price is compared to what you paid there will be no change in price to move.

Just be aware that while those travel sites show a lot of cabins, there are none out there that will show you all the cabins available unless there are just a few left. I know the one german site many use shows up to 15 cabins per deck per category even if there are more than that available.

The ONLY way to find out ALL the cabins available is to call RCI and ask. Just think about, would you want your competition to know how your cruises are selling?

This is buggin' me. .I can't figure out which tool you are talking about. I know we cannot talk about their names here - but your post is driving me nuts :)

I scan through my online tool- which is a nice graphical represenation, but I'm always willing to look for a better tool.

No problem, call and have it changed.

This is buggin' me. .I can't figure out which tool you are talking about. I know we cannot talk about their names here - but your post is driving me nuts :)

I scan through my online tool- which is a nice graphical represenation, but I'm always willing to look for a better tool.

The one I'm aware of has a gnome that travels from city to city :)

The silliness of a rule and ensuing replies keeps me giggling.

jc

Me too, but until it's changed, we need to keep sea scanning the horizon for travel odd cities which may or may not reduce our ex-speed ye-haws in order to secure our cost-co's. After all, we all want to save cash.

Yes, that was my first thought.. but I could not find any tool to search for cabin availability.

I just go in and make a booking, then when you pick a category, it will have flashing arrows near the open rooms. You can usually change between categories pretty easily.

I just go in and make a booking, then when you pick a category, it will have flashing arrows near the open rooms. You can usually change between categories pretty easily.

Odd - yes, I did that too. But, I guess I am expecting to see something like the tool I now use.

The one I use shows all decks of the ship on one page (with sideways scroll if needed), and there are red dots next to available cabins. I routinely see 20-30 open cabins.

Odd - yes, I did that too. But, I guess I am expecting to see something like the tool I now use.

The one I use shows all decks of the ship on one page (with sideways scroll if needed), and there are red dots next to available cabins. I routinely see 20-30 open cabins.

and if it is the site I believe, it does not show all cabins available, just up to 15 per deck in the category you are looking at. They start from mid ship and go out. If you see most red dots around mid ship chances are there are more open either forward or aft.

I have checked in the past and found cabins on RC site that are not on that site. A few years ago they showed all, but someone complained to them I guess as they started limiting it.

Archived