My wife is spending her precious time looking for a dress for Captain night! Oh first

cashmir23

So yeah, my wife and I are going on a carnival victory cruise on August 24th-29th western Caribbean. This is her first and my second. She is so excited and heard about Captain Night and has been looking for a dress as if she's going to a wedding....hahha! She's too cute. LOL ! I can't wait for the cruise!!! My first cruise was 8 years ago so this feels like a new experience to me again.

Good for her let her style.

We were talking about formal night this weekend with some fellow cruising friends and he told us that he was turned away on formal night because he had on shorts! YEA!!! He was wearing a long sleeved dress shirt and shorts so they will turn you away~ he went and changed to long pants. They had dressed quickly because the formal night was on a port day and they were cutting it close to make their assigned dining time.

Thank you all!! The funny part is, she want me to get something after she find her dress....So I cant even just put on just anything. ..hahaha. . Oh boy... What a cruise its going to be! Cant wait!

Well, she's dressing for you. You just have to reciprocate. Just remember she will be the best thing you are wearing.

Good for her! She is going to have so much fun..:). I'm sure she wants to look pretty for you and yes by all means' date=' dress up for her!:) I love showing my husband off in his tux or dress blues!;)[/b']

I've got another five day cruise coming up soon and I have have three new evening gowns and two new cocktail dresses! We won't even talk about the shoes, evening bags, etc.:D

Have her come over to the Fashion Board and join the ladies on this thread. Such a nice group of ladies and we have such fun discussing our cruise fashions. She will enjoy this group.

Hope you both have a wonderful time on your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1493510

You have to give her credit for being bold enough to wear that dress. That dress would not have made it in our luggage because hubby would have hit the roof once he took one look at the dress.

This year DH has to deal with three females buying the perfect formal dresses. Myself and two granddaughters. It's their first cruise ever. They will be 9 and 11 when we sail. With this age group they are growing, so what fits now will not fit when we sail in Dec. so shopping we will go. Of course we will all be color matching our outfits. DH doesn't stand a chance. His choice is jeans and T-shirt. We rule suit and tie must match the colors of the ladies he is with.LOL

The best place to find evening gowns and dresses are at thrift stores. Many of those dresses and gowns have been worn only 1 time and then donated. I found a beautiful gown last week for $5.00. I'll only wear it one time and donate it back. Save the $$$$ for DOD (drinks). Have a great time on your cruise!

I am the same as your wife, went out and bought a beautiful full length floaty dress for formal night, and I have another one the 2nd the formal night already. We are sailing around the Baltics where people do dress up more apparently. Hubby is taking his cravat and evening suit! He has longish Darcy style hair so they look better on him than ties and tuxes.

Life is too short to not glam up every once in a while (This comes from a tomboy btw)

Guest fyree39

I have a closet full of clothes I use for my cruises. Sounds like your wife has caught the cruise-clothing shopping bug!

Remember this is Carnival. People show up in T-Shirts, polo shirts, jeans, dress pants and clothes that you would were to an office. Very few wear a Tux or even a suit. A pair of pants and a shirt work for a Carnival cruise.

You do not need to over dress. As long as you look ok Carnival lets you into the dining room.

Relax and Enjoy life.

Many people dress out of respect for the dinner and the place. Plenty of tuxes on Carnival, us included.

These posts show up to make sure you under dress just like they wish too. They don't want to be the only one not dressing well, so the campaign is on. Don't be the people on a roll call in tears on elegant night, because you dressed down because that is what you read on the forum, and you now know it was just a campaign to support dressing down on the ship, so the standard dress code is lowered.

They just want company - if your lot is life is to raise yourself just high enough to meet a minimum standard, than do so.

Most people on the cruise ship strive higher than just minimum.

Enjoy your shopping, you will look great for sure;)

I went out and bought a dress for my first cruise as well. I'll look and see if I find any good sales, but if not I'm pulling something out of my closet. Hey, my prom dress still fits (almost 10 years old-ahhh!) and I have a few old dresses I wore to weddings. I care less about dressing up this time as it will just be me and my husband. Don't get me wrong, I'm still doing all the steps with hair, makeup etc. every night, but this time around we won't have our friends so we will be taking a lot less pics. You all know the rules- once you have a pic in a fancy dress you can never wear it again (maybe this is just a Facebook rule lol). Have fun on your cruise and take lots of pics!!

Many people dress out of respect for the dinner and the place. Plenty of tuxes on Carnival, us included.

These posts show up to make sure you under dress just like they wish too. They don't want to be the only one not dressing well, so the campaign is on. Don't be the people on a roll call in tears on elegant night, because you dressed down because that is what you read on the forum, and you now know it was just a campaign to support dressing down on the ship, so the standard dress code is lowered.

They just want company - if your lot is life is to raise yourself just high enough to meet a minimum standard, than do so.

Most people on the cruise ship strive higher than just minimum.

Now who's campaigning ? ;)

Don't worry about the money she's spending on clothes, worry about her wanting to book the next cruise as soon as this one is over, and then she has to start shopping for the next cruise...hahaha, my hubby always tells me i have cruise clothes and i tell him i have pictures in those clothes already,she can not take pictures in the same outfit, trust me it's a woman thing.;) Have a blast.:D

Just went shopping for cruise dresses today...at Goodwill! It's my favorite place to shop for cruise wear!! Especially nicer ones. You just don't wear them that often, so they are in great shape! I've had great luck!!

"These posts show up to make sure you under dress just like they wish too. They don't want to be the only one not dressing well, so the campaign is on. Don't be the people on a roll call in tears on elegant night, because you dressed down because that is what you read on the forum, and you now know it was just a campaign to support dressing down on the ship, so the standard dress code is lowered.

They just want company - if your lot is life is to raise yourself just high enough to meet a minimum standard, than do so."

What I posted was the truth. Many do not over dress on a Carnival cruise. I see few tuxes, few sports coats and few gowns anymore. I have had shorts, T-Shirts, polo shirts, Khaki pants, cargo pants, Capri type pants, sneakers and flip flop type shoes sitting across from us on Elegant nights. The OP needs to know that many, many , many people do not dress up on Carnival cruises.

I really don't care what others are wearing...I just hope that they have had a shower in the past few days and are not to drunk to talk at dinner.

Relax and enjoy life

Guest fyree39
"These posts show up to make sure you under dress just like they wish too. They don't want to be the only one not dressing well, so the campaign is on. Don't be the people on a roll call in tears on elegant night, because you dressed down because that is what you read on the forum, and you now know it was just a campaign to support dressing down on the ship, so the standard dress code is lowered.

They just want company - if your lot is life is to raise yourself just high enough to meet a minimum standard, than do so."

What I posted was the truth. Many do not over dress on a Carnival cruise. I see few tuxes, few sports coats and few gowns anymore. I have had shorts, T-Shirts, polo shirts, Khaki pants, cargo pants, Capri type pants, sneakers and flip flop type shoes sitting across from us on Elegant nights. The OP needs to know that many, many , many people do not dress up on Carnival cruises.

I really don't care what others are wearing...I just hope that they have had a shower in the past few days and are not to drunk to talk at dinner.

Relax and enjoy life

I've sat next to drunks are stinky cruisers at dinner. That has nothing to do with the OP. Why not move on to a thread that matches your mood?

Don't worry about the money she's spending on clothes, worry about her wanting to book the next cruise as soon as this one is over, and then she has to start shopping for the next cruise...hahaha, my hubby always tells me i have cruise clothes and i tell him i have pictures in those clothes already,she can not take pictures in the same outfit, trust me it's a woman thing.;) Have a blast.:D

My husband chose what I would be wearing on formal night and now HE has to buy himself another dress shirt because the only color dress shirt in his closet that will match this dress, is the shirt he wore last time to get pictures taken in. And he CANNOT have THAT. lol And he also needs new dress pants because the color shirt he wants will not go with black pants.

Mannnnnnn I had totally forgotten about that dress! :p Cashmir, I hope this won't be y'all on your cruise! :eek::o

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.crazyvacationphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/chainmail-dress-front.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.crazyvacationphotos.com/page/101/&h=325&w=600&sz=52&tbnid=8quP2zvsAjFFrM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=166&zoom=1&usg=__ybuhiTG0y03P2qjRX5Dh16wS3_M=&docid=5gEoTOA5PX8SCM&sa=X&ei=km_8UZ6CCYT0qQG57YC4Bw&ved=0CH4Q9QEwBg&dur=364

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.crazyvacationphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/chainmail-dress.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.crazyvacationphotos.com/page/101/&h=325&w=600&sz=48&tbnid=OFbBvRCzlw5_VM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=125&zoom=1&usg=__Qu_L3qh40Ujp1CvCM17tJJEdqOU=&docid=5gEoTOA5PX8SCM&sa=X&ei=gnD8UeGuKYyOrQHmyYH4BA&ved=0CFsQ9QEwAw&dur=41

I think she looks better than a few of the ladies in their ill fitted gowns or overdone boob job (if there is such a thing:-). She is not your size 0, skin and bones model, so she needs good sense of self and body imagine to pull that off. I think the body is a work of art and that one was not badly displayed. So she does to chains what Victoria does to lingerie and that Italian guy does for dressing.

Im campaigning ;-) I cant see myself ever dressing down for Captain dinner night!! So, lets make it happen !!

We want pictures Cashmir. I just know you two will be stunning:cool:

I hope we cruise together sometime. You sure seem like you could get the party started.

Relax and enjoy life

Agree to disagree I guess. I've always seen gowns, cocktail dresses, suits and yes, even tuxedos on all of my 7 Carnival cruises....never seen flip flops or sneakers. This post has plenty of people that have said yes, I do like to dress up. Personally, I dress up every night, not just elegant night.

I think she looks better than a few of the ladies in their ill fitted gowns or overdone boob job (if there is such a thing:-). She is not your size 0, skin and bones model, so she needs good sense of self and body imagine to pull that off. I think the body is a work of art and that one was not badly displayed. So she does to chains what Victoria does to lingerie and that Italian guy does for dressing.

No one ever said she didn't have the body to wear it. She does. I haven't been a size 0 since I came out of the womb and can appreciate curves and a woman dressing to feel good about herself. That being said, dinner on a family cruise is NOT the place to wear an outfit like that, and that's coming from one of the least conservative or modest people you will ever meet. I'd think nothing of it if I saw her wearing that at a club in Vegas.

I hope we cruise together sometime. You sure seem like you could get the party started.

I second that! Tell her we all want to see the dress now! :D

Ditto!!! Pictures please and a review when you get back!

Archived